ADVERTISEMENT

The battle for the next 4 years in the SEC is being fought RIGHT NOW

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
With all these coaching changes comes great challenges but also- great opportunity! If our athletic department and football program are able to perform at a high level, we should walk away with the best coaches available- and those coaches should be excited about the position and the future of the program.

Mark my words: the next few weeks are the most critical we have faced since Holtz left. Lets hope CWM and Tanner and up to the challenge!

We are about to find out just how important USC holds football. Do they want to win or do they just want to raise money and blow smoke about winning while congratulating Clemson on twitter.
Crap, we've got legions of fans who think it's OK to lose to UPC as long as we win the East or something - while we aren't doing either one of them. Why should the leadership sweat anything?

We are about to find out just how important USC holds football. Do they want to win or do they just want to raise money and blow smoke about winning while congratulating Clemson on twitter.
Crap, we've got legions of fans who think it's OK to lose to UPC as long as we win the East or something - while we aren't doing either one of them. Why should the leadership sweat anything?
I think winning the east more consistently will result in more wins vs Clementine. Until then we are what we are....

Reactions: cockyferg
If we start going to the SEC championship game (winning the East) we will start competing and beating Clemson. Right now do you think we can beat Clemson and not have the type team that can win the East? That's why it is more important to worry about ourselves first then worry about Clemson. JMO.

SEC's Game of Thrones. So what king/queen are we ?
Clearly, we are Renly Baratheon. Renly was a way-down-the-line contender for the throne (behind Joffrey, Tommen, and Stannis) who jumped up to lay his claim with an advantageous marriage to the Tyrells (Spurrier?) and by being joined by many who were not expected to be his allies (some of the great recruiting coups pulled in the early 2010s.) And, can't forget...just as it seemed Renly was in position to gain the crown...he was murdered by his brother.
I'm just hoping Clemson is the Joffrey Baratheon of the football world...a cruel, insane bastard whose in-laws and allies killed him with a painful, vicious poisoning.

Last edited:
If we start going to the SEC championship game (winning the East) we will start competing and beating Clemson. Right now do you think we can beat Clemson and not have the type team that can win the East? That's why it is more important to worry about ourselves first then worry about Clemson. JMO.
I think the converse is also true. I also think UPC is by far the most important opponent for us to beat. It's rivalry - and recruiting begins at home.

I think winning the east more consistently will result in more wins vs Clementine. Until then we are what we are....
How many times did we win the East during our recent five-game winning streak against them? And that's while they were winning the ACC and going to major bowls.

I think the converse is also true. I also think UPC is by far the most important opponent for us to beat. It's rivalry - and recruiting begins at home.
I see what you're saying and as far as us fans you are right! But we have beaten Clemson 42 times and I enjoy that very much. But winning an SEC championship would put recruiting on a whole different level I think. You can start recruiting semi nationally. But I do think it helps with in state recruits by beating Clemson.

I see what you're saying and as far as us fans you are right! But we have beaten Clemson 42 times and I enjoy that very much. But winning an SEC championship would put recruiting on a whole different level I think. You can start recruiting semi nationally. But I do think it helps with in state recruits by beating Clemson.
May I ask your age? I have a reason for asking.

Reactions: section2cock
Somebody better figure out how to beat Clemson again. For one, unless we can play with Clemson, USC isn't winning the east to begin with. Don't see UGA sliding any time soon. And Florida and UT will improve greatly under their new coaches. So if USC doesn't make a push to get to the level Clemson currently sits it probably does t matter. And while an SEC title would be wonderful, that season would feel a bit empty if it didn't include a win over Clemson.

Well, that's not so young. I'm about to be 67. People who go back as far as I do see the rivalry a little differently than people who are becoming adults now. And I believe the older you are, the more it means to you. There's no question that some of the urgency has gone out of beating UPC for younger people due to our not playing in the same conference. For Millennnials and many Xers, the way it is now is all they have ever known. For those of us who emerged during an earlier era, and especially those who have lived in S.C all their lives, most of us will never put anything ahead of beating UPC. I believe that's a true statement.

Look at our BOT and look a Clemson’s. Then tell me who is all in. Need to clean house and get darla back on board

How many times did we win the East during our recent five-game winning streak against them? And that's while they were winning the ACC and going to major bowls.
none as you may know. Just saying winning the east means in most years we have a team capable of beating anyone.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1

No offense, but it appears you are contradicting yourself in these replies.

Well, that's not so young. I'm about to be 67. People who go back as far as I do see the rivalry a little differently than people who are becoming adults now. And I believe the older you are, the more it means to you. There's no question that some of the urgency has gone out of beating UPC for younger people due to our not playing in the same conference. For Millennnials and many Xers, the way it is now is all they have ever known. For those of us who emerged during an earlier era, and especially those who have lived in S.C all their lives, most of us will never put anything ahead of beating UPC. I believe that's a true statement.
King I guess the older I get the less it bothers me. We've won and lost to Clemson every year. But I've never seen a SEC championship. I hate losing to them because of their fans but most I know I let them know up front I won't throw it up in their face and they better not throw it up in my face because I don't handle it real well. I don't even watch their games on TV. But I know everybody handles it differently.

Reactions: king ward
That might be why we never win anything of significance

King I guess the older I get the less it bothers me. We've won and lost to Clemson every year. But I've never seen a SEC championship. I hate losing to them because of their fans but most I know I let them know up front I won't throw it up in their face and they better not throw it up in my face because I don't handle it real well. I don't even watch their games on TV. But I know everybody handles it differently.
It probably bothers me less, too, but older people have a shift in priorities that is sort of natural. The closer you get to the end, the less important games become. But I want the people to whom we're handing the torch to recapture the rivalry fervor we have had. It doesn't need to slip further. If it does, it won't be to the benefit of Carolina, I can assure you of that. We NEED that catalyst.

Reactions: wolverine 2
It probably bothers me less, too, but older people have a shift in priorities that is sort of natural. The closer you get to the end, the less important games become. But I want the people to whom we're handing the torch to recapture the rivalry fervor we have had. It doesn't need to slip further. If it does, it won't be to the benefit of Carolina, I can assure you of that. We NEED that catalyst.
I see what you're saying. Just hope we can get back to double digits wins consistently. Then I think we can compete with anybody in the country. Clemson included. And I think Muschamp has us on the right track.

With all these coaching changes comes great challenges but also- great opportunity! If our athletic department and football program are able to perform at a high level, we should walk away with the best coaches available- and those coaches should be excited about the position and the future of the program.

Mark my words: the next few weeks are the most critical we have faced since Holtz left. Lets hope CWM and Tanner and up to the challenge!

There does seem to be an upgrade in coaching taking shape in the conference. Is good for everyone in the conference.

There does seem to be an upgrade in coaching taking shape in the conference. Is good for everyone in the conference.
The Sec took a slight step backwards last year but took strides this year by getting 2of 4 teams in the playoff and the coaching hires upgrade.
The SEC East will take steps trying to close the gap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT