ADVERTISEMENT

The Belk bowl is a no win for Muschamp

You’ll see similar predictions (10-2, 11-1, win the East) throughout the off season. After the first loss, people will be screaming again to immediately fire Muschamp and Tanner. And so it goes....

For me, the definition of progress next season will be beating at least 2 out of the following 4:

UGa, UK, ATM and CU.
Odd to see UK in your list but not UF. I certainly understand the desire to snap the 5-year losing streak, but doing so will merely be a relief. Beating a team like Florida would make a bigger statement about the direction of the program.

I see the point, but I'd argue it's still a decent draw for South Carolina. The game is at 12:30pm on a Saturday on ABC, so it will still get decent exposure, especially with no other competition in that time slot. It's close-by for Gamecock fans and recruits, and it's a game that South Carolina will be favored to win. Not convinced that playing a team like NC State in the Taxslayer Bowl would have been any better.
I think our game is on the same time Florida/Michigan are playing.

Back in the 1960's Clemson coach Frank Howard referred to UVA as "white meat". I think at one point CU had a 17 game winning streak vs them, could have been longer than that, but I know they beat UVA like a red headed rented mule.

Clemson had a 29 game win streak against Virginia. 1955-1989. Virginia finally won in 1990. Since that win, Virginia is 7-9-1 against Clemson and 1-1 against us. Last game being our win in 2003.

It's not the Gator Bowl and this Belk Bowl reminds me of the Papa John's Bowl where it felt like a disappointment bowl...
In 2009, we had beaten a top 5 team and dominated a Clemson team that was headed to the ACC championship game. For a fanbase that was very excited for that team, a trip to a town like Birmingham to play a team like UConn definitely felt like a letdown. This 7-5 team hasn't given us any spectacular moments, so I think the opportunity to beat an ACC team, that we generally hate, in a nice city that is easy for most Gamecock fans to get to, is a pretty good opportunity.

There is no comparison to be made here with the Pizza Bowl. Belk>Papa John's, UVA>>UCONN, and for the love of God, Charlotte>>>Birmingham.

I don't understand the whining about playing in Charlotte twice in 9 months. Charlotte is a beautiful city that is an hour and a half away with plenty to do. We get to play in an NFL stadium. The majority of our fanbase won't even have to stay overnight if they don't want to. This is a no-lose situation.
And the chance to beat two ACC teams back to back. That might actually mean something. Of course if we lose 1 or both, that would be, um, not so good.

The Belk Bowl is a no win for Carolina fans...

Deebo Quit on the team...

Fan like that Deebo quit on the team to save his NFL Career...

This a garbage bowl...

Cancel the bowl now Tanner!!!

ADVERTISEMENT