ADVERTISEMENT

The Bottom Line About Coordinator as a Qualification...

It so important he made 430,000 while Ruffin McNeil made 570,000 in 2018, and both were position coaches while both holding the title of Assistant Head Coach.
So- which is it? A made up title just to pay an assistant more? Or is he not paid well? Ya’ll keep playing both sides and claiming both mean the same thing! LMAO!

Believe what you want- Beamer has 20 years of coaching experience, a heavy hand in a very successful OU offense-they just have him a raise and extension earlier this year too BYW- and he IS one of the top candidates for our job whether you like it or not and he has earned this shot! That is the long and short of it.. Making up stuff about him to thump your chest on a message board is not going to change it.

Regardless of all that- Napier is still the top choice/best fit IMO and I don’t think anything has come out to definitively disqualify him as a candidate. I will happy if he, Beamer or Chadwell get the job. I would be surprised if any of the others mentioned get it but I personally feel almost all of them would be an upgrade for us.

Weird. Nobody at any level his trying to hire him to be a HC.
Again- we are the only open position in America today. No coach is being actively pursued by any program but ours.

Even so- rumors are all over that fans, pundits, former players and coaches at Va Tech want them to make a change and are touting Shane as a candidate.

So, basically that point is utter nonsense.

So- which is it? A made up title just to pay an assistant more? Or is he not paid well? Ya’ll keep playing both sides and claiming both mean the same thing! LMAO!

Believe what you want- Beamer has 20 years of coaching experience, a heavy hand in a very successful OU offense-they just have him a raise and extension earlier this year too BYW- and he IS one of the top candidates for our job whether you like it or not and he has earned this shot! That is the long and short of it.. Making up stuff about him to thump your chest on a message board is not going to change it.

Regardless of all that- Napier is still the top choice/best fit IMO and I don’t think anything has come out to definitively disqualify him as a candidate. I will happy if he, Beamer or Chadwell get the job. I would be surprised if any of the others mentioned get it but I personally feel almost all of them would be an upgrade for us.
He has earned this shot only in some people's eyes. Sorry his position coach jobs got mostly by his Dad's name are not that big experience ticket. A TE coach does not call plays or run the offense even with the glorious AHC title. I still don't see why we have to be the big experiment.

Duh.. it nothing more than a title to get a position coach a little more money. Just like the title of Associate Head Coach.

Again- we are the only open position in America today. No coach is being actively pursued by any program but ours.

Even so- rumors are all over that fans, pundits, former players and coaches at Va Tech want them to make a change and are touting Shane as a candidate.

Why just this year? He's had the same resume for years and NOBODY has tried to hire him. And when other jobs open up shortly, nobody will try to hire him. This horseshit about rumors about VT are pure fantasy. He's not going there and nobody outside your fevered imagination is trying to get him there. This is a narrative being sold to you credulous Boomers, who fell for the Muschamp hire.

Which of those guys coached in college or pro's for 18 years without being a coordinator before getting their shot? Besied Orgeron? Orgeron failed in his first job.

Seems like they all got a chance much earlier in their career which greatly contributed to why they skipped the OC or DC. But Beamer is so great? but yet he has coached so long with out a HC, OC, DC responsibility is concerning to me.

Beamer seems different in that regard to those on the list
You need to prepare yourself.

He has earned this shot only in some people's eyes. Sorry his position coach jobs got mostly by his Dad's name are not that big experience ticket. A TE coach does not call plays or run the offense even with the glorious AHC title. I still don't see why we have to be the big experiment.
Exactly Money talks and Bullshit Walks. Coordinators make 7 figures a year for a reason. Not one Oklahoma fan cares if Beamer leaves. They lose a Cordinator you'll hear concern from a fan base.

JC is a known buffoon who wants Beamer to be the coach because he has a great relationship with him as a source going back to the Spurrier days. This clown tried to make Will Muschamp out to be the second coming of Vince Lombardi 5 years ago when everyone with a brain could see that fail job coming down the tracks. As for his coordinator experience argument, let's just say his "analysis" once again leaves much to be desired.

Ed Orgeron - Was Defensive Coordinator at Southern Cal from 2010-2013. First HC job was Ole Miss were he failed miserably. Three sub-.500 seasons and fired. So not only had HC experience when hired at LSU, but had P5, SEC head coaching experience.

Mack Brown - Was OC at Iowa State from 1980-81; and OC at Oklahoma in 1984. Had coordinator experience before being hired by App State as head coach 1983; and had HC experience (App State & Tulane) before being hired for a P5 job, UNC.

Mario Cristobal - was Co/OC at Oregon before taking the HC job at Oregon. Had coordinator experience.

Luke Fickell - was Co/DC at Ohio State from 2005-2010. Was interim HC for OSU for the 2011 season. First HC job was Cincinnati, not a P5 job. But had coordinator experience.

Not all of those coaches' first HC job was a Power 5 job; so that makes it not comparable to Beamer.

Jim Harbaugh - QB coach for the Raiders to HC of San Diego State. Had HC experience when hired for his first P5 HC job at Stanford.

Joe Morrison - HC at UT-Chattanooga and University of New Mexico before HC at SCar. He had HC experience before his first P5 job.

PJ Fleck - WR coach for Buccaneers to HC at Western Michigan. Had HC experience before his first P5 job Minnesota.

Lou Holtz - Assistant at Ohio State to HC at William & Mary. Had HC experience before his first P5 job at NCST.

Kirk Ferentz - OL coach at Iowa to HC at Maine. Was OC for the Ravens from 97-98. Had HC experience and coordinator experience before his first P5 HC job at Iowa.
You should inure yourself to the coming disappoinment.

???? - The “IT” factor could be plainly seen in other jobs prior to the HC position. Not sure why you claim that is an indication vs. a manifestation. We re talking about an intangible characteristic that is not easily defined.
Until you've done a thing, signs that you might be able to do it don't rise to the level of manifestation.

Most HCs do not call plays either. That is not a prerequisite. Every coach we hire is a big experiment.

Until you've done a thing, signs that you might be able to do it don't rise to the level of manifestation.

When you see the IT factor it is b/c you see it manifested. It isn’t like freckles, you have them or you don’t type thing, you may see charteristics that lead you to believe it, but it isn’t one thing, it is the culmination of manifestations.

It is kind of like what Dabo says, it is hard to describe championship spirit, but you know it when you see it and you know it when you don’t.

This year, yes. In previous years, how many P5 schools were beating down his door?
He has been rumored as the top choice for “other 5” jobs in recent years but he never showed interest, said he was looking for a bigger job. Some at Va Tech are floating a rumor he pissed off some admin recently when they reached out because he indicated he wanted a bigger job than Va Tech.. He apparently views our job as bigger.

Look, ya’ll think what you want, ask me any questions you want, I have done plenty of research on him. He is qualified, he is highly thought of in coaching circles and if we don’t get him someone else will soon. OU did not find him on the street. Riley went and stole him from UGA after Beamer’s STs unit blocked a punt to beat OU in a bowl game the year before, and he paid Beamer 45% more than he was making and GAVE HIM A BIG PROMOTION TO AHC to bring him into the OU fold. That is the ultimate sign of respect in coaching.. That guy impressed me, so I am going to hire him.

Ya’ll Keep not liking him for made up reasons. I am confident in my opinion.

He has been rumored as the top choice for “other 5” jobs in recent years but he never showed interest, said he was looking for a bigger job. Some at Va Tech are floating a rumor he pissed off some admin recently when they reached out because he indicated he wanted a bigger job than Va Tech.. He apparently views our job as bigger.

Look, ya’ll think what you want, ask me any questions you want, I have done plenty of research on him. He is qualified, he is highly thought of in coaching circles and if we don’t get him someone else will soon. OU did not find him on the street. Riley went and stole him from UGA after Beamer’s STs unit blocked a punt to beat OU in a bowl game the year before, and he paid Beamer 45% more than he was making and GAVE HIM A BIG PROMOTION TO AHC to bring him into the OU fold. That is the ultimate sign of respect in coaching.. That guy impressed me, so I am going to hire him.

Ya’ll Keep not liking him for made up reasons. I am confident in my opinion.
So, in other words, NONE. You obviously put a lot more stock into the AHC for Offense (though we know who actually runs that offense) than most of us do. So keep touting it if it pleases you.

But please stop telling us we're not on board with this unfortunately inevitable hire for "made up" reasons. We are also doing our research. The reasons are real and have been documented ad nauseum, and I'm not going to re-litigate them just because you choose to ignore them.

When you see the IT factor it is b/c you see it manifested. It isn’t like freckles, you have them or you don’t type thing, you may see charteristics that lead you to believe it, but it isn’t one thing, it is the culmination of manifestations.

It is kind of like what Dabo says, it is hard to describe championship spirit, but you know it when you see it and you know it when you don’t.
We were talking about qualifications to actually do a job. In that regard, the ineffable will never be at a disadvantage to the demonstrable.

Someone has voices in their head whispering sweet nothings about "Beamer Ball". Theres help for that...you gotta go into a deep FREEZE.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
It isn't. Wes Hanna posted this on his Facebook page today from J.C. Shurburtt , and I heartily agree with it.

The 'never been a coordinator argument'
From JC Shurburtt:
This is not to downplay those that are against a potential Shane Beamer hire because he has no head coaching experience. That's obviously something that many value in a coaching hire.
But this "never been a coordinator thing" is not as big of a deal as you would think. For the purposes of this, I am talking offensive/defensive coordinator because obviously Beamer has been a recruiting coordinator and a special teams coordinator at multiple stops, along with assistant head coach.
Urban Meyer was never a coordinator. He was the Notre Dame wide receivers coach before he took the Bowling Green job.
Ed Orgeron has never been a coordinator.
Dabo Swinney has never been a coordinator.
Pat Fitzgerald has never been a coordinator.
Mack Brown has been a coordinator one year- at Oklahoma in the 1980s and Switzer was running things- and he was a head coach before he was that coordinator for one year.
Jim Harbaugh has never been a coordinator.
Joe Morrison was never a coordinator.
PJ Fleck has never been a coordinator
Sam Pittman has never been a coordinator
Lou Holtz never was a coordinator
Mario Cristobal has never been a coordinator
Kirk Ferentz has never been a coordinator at the college level
Luke Fickell has only been a co-coordinator
Joe Paterno was never a coordinator
There are more, but I will stop there.
Now, all of these guys got their first head coaching jobs in different manners, different than Beamer to South Carolina would be for sure. That said, not being a coordinator before you are a head coach does not eliminate you from being good in the big chair. There are plenty of examples of this. Coordinator and head coach are two different gigs, especially these days dealing with this generation and in today's college football climate.
Just food for thought. I am not comparing Beamer's plight to any of these guys so don't come back with but this guy was different or that guy was because I freely admit that. But the singular "never been an offensive or defensive coordinator" argument doesn't hold as much water as you think.

2You and Mark Patton
5 Comments
Seen by 6

Comment
Other than Dabo, how many went on to HC at a big school (I recognize there was no P5 for most of these) straight from their assistant positions.

For me, I'd rather not hire a coordinator. I'd rather hire a guy that wins at his current school - like Chadwell. Those guys figure out how to get the most out of both sides of the ball and figure out how to run an entire program.

Dabo is a unicorn - and a loudmouthed, nasty one at that.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
Other than Dabo, how many went on to HC at a big school (I recognize there was no P5 for most of these) straight from their assistant positions.

For me, I'd rather not hire a coordinator. I'd rather hire a guy that wins at his current school - like Chadwell. Those guys figure out how to get the most out of both sides of the ball and figure out how to run an entire program.

Dabo is a unicorn - and a loudmouthed, nasty one at that.
We're here striving and speculating and arguing over a decision that has already been made on our end. All that's left is authentication on the other end.

We're here striving and speculating and arguing over a decision that has already been made on our end. All that's left is authentication on the other end.
While I believe you are right, I don't think Gamecock fans should stop discussing this and giving their honest opinion on every platform they have available to them. Once pen is to paper and it's public, then the powers that be will have to lie in the bed they've made and we'll all move on. But after Muschamp, some heads need to roll when this crap inevitably hits the fan with this next ridiculous hire.

Wtf are you talking about? What question was changed?
Go back and read it- three versions of the same question- first “who else is looking at him”, then when it is pointed out that no other jobs are open, it is changed to “oh well what about in the past”, and so forth...

You need to prepare yourself.

I know I am prepared because I want it done. My issue is the same until I can love what I see my attachment is dangerously casual. My support is there but my emotional buy in has to be repaired and that comes with W’s. Regardless of the next few weeks we are a ways away from accumulating multiple or consecutive W’s .

Go back and reread my initial response. I answered your question. Then I asked another, more relevant question.

It matters that we are the ONLY P5 school to be interested in him throughout his entire career. And I think it's fair to consider whether or not we would even be having this discussion if his last name was Jones.

Reactions: hillstosea
I know I am prepared because I want it done. My issue is the same until I can love what I see my attachment is dangerously casual. My support is there but my emotional buy in has to be repaired and that comes with W’s. Regardless of the next few weeks we are a ways away from accumulating multiple or consecutive W’s .
We are six years away from relevancy at least.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Go back and reread my initial response. I answered your question. Then I asked another, more relevant question.

It matters that we are the ONLY P5 school to be interested in him throughout his entire career. And I think it's fair to consider whether or not we would even be having this discussion if his last name was Jones.

I was referring to progression of the discussion you jumped in on.. there were other posts before your first one where you quoted me... Both in this thread and the same question has been asked in others in different ways, my answer is always the same. We are the only team looking for a coach officially- regardless it certainly makes sense that the programs most familiar with this coach would be the ones showing the most interest IF said coach impressed people when he coached here, which Beamer did.

I don’t think that concern about his name is fair either TBH- saying “if his name were not Beamer..” well, if his name were not Beamer he would be a completely different person with a different upbringing and different life experiences and... Everything?!? So how does that make sense? Are you truly of the opinion he has gotten every job he has had and is being considered for this job simply because his dad was a good coach? Not the case. His dad never even made a call to other schools to help him get hired. He is being considered here because of his experience, his personality, his ability to recruit and help us when during his previous tenure here and the plan he has talked to our administration about for how he would run the offense and defense.. All we know about that plan at this point is that he plans to be “dynamic”...? No other details have been given that I am aware of and unless we hire him we probably won’t get a lot of detail about what was discussed and what his plan would be as the HC here.

While I believe you are right, I don't think Gamecock fans should stop discussing this and giving their honest opinion on every platform they have available to them. Once pen is to paper and it's public, then the powers that be will have to lie in the bed they've made and we'll all move on. But after Muschamp, some heads need to roll when this crap inevitably hits the fan with this next ridiculous hire.
Only the paying, contributing portion of the fanbase matters, and they only superficially.

Only the paying, contributing portion of the fanbase matters, and they only superficially.
True. Which is why ignoring them and continuing to hire unqualified coaches shrinks that contributing fanbase more and more each time. They don't just come back with a snap of the fingers either. That money goes to other places. Those empty stands that were hidden due to a pandemic get larger and larger in future seasons. People are not going to waste time and money on ineptitude. YES and ticket price increases have seen those days go by.

This is a total shot in the dark hire. I'm not a big fan of Napier but would much rather take him.

Meyer >> Stoops .>>>Freeze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caldwell > Napier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beamer.

But Ray will get the message that multiple schools are "inquiring" about Beamer. He will then pull the trigger on Beamer and we slide further. This time there is no coming back.

Regardless who we hire with our roster it is going to take at least 3 years to get much better so just wait and see!! nobody knows how a coach will turn out!

Meyer >> Stoops .>>>Freeze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caldwell > Napier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beamer.

But Ray will get the message that multiple schools are "inquiring" about Beamer. He will then pull the trigger on Beamer and we slide further. This time there is no coming back.
Meyer? Stoops??
😂😂🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure there will be more openings when the season ends and schools and prospective hires are hard at it. Remember five years ago? Same thing. Had plenty of time to search and several possibilities. Is this deja by?

ADVERTISEMENT