ADVERTISEMENT

The Chip Shortage Might Cause A Potato Chip Shortage

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
Not sure why common sense didn’t tell me this, but the chip shortage causing the car situation is hitting agriculture just as hard.

The worldwide shortage of computer chips will impact all aspects of agriculture for the next two years and beyond... farm equipment manufacturers have halted shipments to dealers because they don't have the chips to put in the equipment... not only have combine, planter, tillage, and tractor sales been impacted, but even ATV supplies are limited. Parts, even non-electric parts, are also in short supply because the manufacturers of those parts use the chips in the manufacturing process. As farmers integrate technology into all aspects of the farming process, these highly sophisticated semiconductors have become the backbone of almost every farming operation

In 1995 the US produced 37% of the world’s semiconductor chips (remember when there was actual silicon in Silicon Valley). As of 2019 it’s less than 12%. Most Wall Street analysts agree this will last into 2022 with many saying into 2023. Even if the government and the private sector went all out together like with the ventilators last year, it’d be a few years before we could increase production.

Globalization has some very serious side effects. If there is any positive about the lockdowns, I hope it is that it exposed how stupid it is to outsource critical manufacturing materials.

But we will probably just argue over masks and what pronouns are not offensive instead. I say this last part not to inflame but to say can we agree at least on important things...like even a little.

ADVERTISEMENT