ADVERTISEMENT

The difference between a plateau, a mesa, a butte, and a monument.

Flameout12

Jan 10, 2006
FYI...come out west sometime. It'll change your life.
12.3.jpg

Are there places we can take a Jeep out and just ride around and look at these types of formations? My only experience with them is what you see on TV and it certainly looks like you should be able to but I don’t know anyone who has ever done it.

Are there places we can take a Jeep out and just ride around and look at these types of formations? My only experience with them is what you see on TV and it certainly looks like you should be able to but I don’t know anyone who has ever done it.
Yes. A good place to start is Moab Utah.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I have driven through monument Valley and arches national park several times.
It is breathtaking and never gets old for me.
And that's from the main highway.
It is truly beautiful.

Ehh not on the top of my list of things I have seen. Now the Canadian Rockies wow.

I'd love to take my 4Runner out west and ride all day through Moab and other areas and camp at night. It's on my bucket list.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Last summer the wife and I road tripped it through Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, including an overnight camp in Kodachrome State Park, and a drive through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. All spectacular, and I cannot recommend this trip enough. Awe-inspiring.

Bryce Canyon was our favorite, but all the parks were fantastic. Zion was the most crowded, being closest to Vegas. Take my word for it, just skip Angel's Landing and hike other areas of the park, which are much less crowded. Arches was super cool - and just minutes outside of Moab.

to each his own I guess. Sand dunes do nothing for me. I guess I’m a mountain guy myself. Denali was absolutely amazing.
Have you seen the Dunes National Park?
Miles long and wide and Dunes over 700 feet tall. These are not sand piles by the sea.

Last summer the wife and I road tripped it through Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, including an overnight camp in Kodachrome State Park, and a drive through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. All spectacular, and I cannot recommend this trip enough. Awe-inspiring.

Bryce Canyon was our favorite, but all the parks were fantastic. Zion was the most crowded, being closest to Vegas. Take my word for it, just skip Angel's Landing and hike other areas of the park, which are much less crowded. Arches was super cool - and just minutes outside of Moab.
I find Bryce more inspiring than the Grand Canyon.
The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument drive was incredible. When it's time to leave look for me in Utah.

Reactions: GandBinNC
Have you seen the Dunes National Park?
Miles long and wide and Dunes over 700 feet tall. These are not sand piles by the sea.
Yes My parents loved to travel. I have been fortunate enough at the age of 36 to have visited every state. I have also been to a vast majority of the major parks in the US. The mountains call to me. While I get what you are saying it just did not do anything for me. Just like the Grand Canyon. I don’t get the hype. It’s basically a big hole in the ground. Cool to see once for 15 min but not worth seeing again. I would go back to Denali tomorrow and I have been 3 times

Last edited:
Reactions: lilburncock
Just like the Grand Canyon. I don’t get the hype.
You have to catch it in the AM or PM. And the idea of looking down 4k' into the Colorado River is not something seen many places. I dig the rock formations and could gawk at them for hours.
Denali stays under clouds most of the time. If you saw it uncovered, you did good.

In New Mexico, there's the city (and a lake) named Elephant Butte. I always wondered why they named the place after a pachyderm's posterior.

Are those monuments old enough to not be deemed offensive and hopefully safe from being torn down or are the protected due to occurring either naturally or via aliens?

Reactions: importcock
Freddie, the scale of Bryce is not like the Grand Canyon, which is truly breathtaking. But one of the things I loved about Bryce was the accessibility of it, because it is much smaller (around 56 sq mi, compared to almost 2,000 sq mi at the GC), but the beauty is just as impressive, IMO.
I have a Bryce story....
I went to Bryce the first time in '15. As you know there are a lot of foreign nationals that used to visit all our Nat Pks. Those people always dressed nice and were professional about themselves, especially those from Asian countries.
Well, I stopped at one of the vistas, and there's this very tall guy walking around without a shirt and wearing red swim trunks. He clearly stood out. It was like, "dude, put a friggin shirt on".
When I backed out to leave, I saw him making a sandwich on top of his car. The bread was laid out on the top. As a I passed, I saw they had SC license tags. I wanted to say something but kept my mouth shut.

Reactions: GandBinNC
Freddie, the scale of Bryce is not like the Grand Canyon, which is truly breathtaking. But one of the things I loved about Bryce was the accessibility of it, because it is much smaller (around 56 sq mi, compared to almost 2,000 sq mi at the GC), but the beauty is just as impressive, IMO.

Will definitely have to visit as soon as the Covid-19 thing clears up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT