ADVERTISEMENT

The Difference Between Us And Clemson

Well, they play 50+ sports (exaggeration) and get points that others do not
Prior to this year Stanford competed in 36 NCAA sports. Last Summer they announced that they were cutting 12 of those. Which leaves them at 24.

But, my argument that Stanford has a far greater commitment to all sports other than football and men's basketball is still valid.

I personally would like to see us focus on football first and foremost. Football is kind. While Sanford has excelled in other sports their last national championship in football was 1940z. Hardly the school to model yourself after. This is 2021 and we are a school in the south. Football should be the main focus.

Not to bring them up but in the last 6 years Clemson has blown up. That all comes back to one thing, exposer for being good in football.

Reactions: F-86F and Lakecock1
I think many of us agree that they're still playing dirty. The problem is, it's working for them. David Cloninger said the other day on 107.5 that it's impossible to win fairly in an unfair game.

Maybe it's time for us to finally play the game.
The fans on here don't want to play the game. Our administration doesn't want to play the game. If we wanted to play the game we would have Coach Freeze here right now. We are a scared University.

The fans on here don't want to play the game. Our administration doesn't want to play the game. If we wanted to play the game we would have Coach Freeze here right now. We are a scared University.
Yep. The thing is, considering we're on probation anyway, we suck at the choir boy act too. We may as well just lean into it for once and lawyer up if/when the NCAA comes calling.

Seriously, what's the worst that could happen?

The gap between us and Clemson ?

3835532-Barbara-Tuchman-Quote-When-the-gap-between-ideal-and-real-becomes.jpg

3 football national championships, 4 bank accounts, and an unhealthy love for farm animals

I think many of us agree that they're still playing dirty. The problem is, it's working for them. David Cloninger said the other day on 107.5 that it's impossible to win fairly in an unfair game.

What ive always wondered about the accusation that they play dirty is why, if it is common knowledge that they play dirty, havent we and the David Cloningers of the world and other "clean" programs turned them in. Gather the facts and turn them in!!!!

What ive always wondered about the accusation that they play dirty is why, if it is common knowledge that they play dirty, havent we and the David Cloningers of the world and other "clean" programs turned them in. Gather the facts and turn them in!!!!

Because we are cheating too.

They've got a well-established reputation for controlling access of the media up there. That's why most often the questions from local press are usually friendly and softball-like. Not to mention that the whole town knows that the football team is their cash cow. Not so much in Columbia.

Frank Martin said last year that there were plenty of times he thought there was dirty recruiting going on. But if you accuse them without knowing for sure you're right and have the proof to back it up, it would blow up in your face in the coaching community and on the recruiting trail (yeah, I know 😏).

But Brad Lawing has recently said that they once caught Clemson red-handed on video committing a major recruiting violation. Instead of turning them in, they confronted them with it, and Clemson backed off that recruit. I believe it was Stephon Gilmore, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
So you’re still arguing wealth makes her qualified for a job?
No her life’s work speaks for itself. Has nothing to do with money. Her resume more than qualifies her for that position. What exactly would you say qualifies our current president, other than being a friend of politicians?

Reactions: Lakecock1
No her life’s work speaks for itself. Has nothing to do with money. Her resume more than qualifies her for that position. What exactly would you say qualifies our current president, other than being a friend of politicians?
Actually her resume would not qualify her for the position based on the criteria that the university was working. Neither did Caslen's resume. But she never asked to be put in that position, she wanted the Board to stick to it's criteria. uscwatson is simply making shit up we he says she wanted the position.

Last edited:
Actually her resume would not qualify her for the position based on the criteria that the university was working. Neither did Caslen's resume. But she never asked to be put in that position, she wanted the Board to stick to it's criteria. uscwatson is simple making shit up we he says she wanted the position.

I literally provided proof...

But you guys aren’t interested in an honest debate.

It doesn’t appear you know the background of either party you’re comparing.

I literally provided proof...

But you guys aren’t interested in an honest debate.
No you did not provide proof. You simply provided her offhanded reply to a reporter's question.

You provide a statement where she says she wants to be considered for the position. I know who she supported for the position although she would never publicly name the person she supported....as that would be going too far.

No you did not provide proof. You simply provided her offhanded reply to a reporter's question.

You provide a statement where she says she wants to be considered for the position. I know who she supported for the position although she would never publicly name the person she supported....as that would be going too far.

Are you legitimately trying to say she could not have wanted the job at the same time supporting another candidate when she knew she didn’t have the support to actually be made president?

Are you legitimately trying to say she could not have wanted the job at the same time supporting another candidate when she knew she didn’t have the support to actually be made president?
No, I am saying you have absolutely no proof that she wanted the job. She knew she was as unqualified as Caslen was and Caslen was completely unqualified. She supported at least one of the other candidates who was more than qualified, period.

No, I am saying you have absolutely no proof that she wanted the job. She knew she was as unqualified as Caslen was and Caslen was completely unqualified. She supported at least one of the other candidates who was more than qualified, period.
Proof that Darla felt she was unqualified?

Proof that Darla felt she was unqualified?
Her offhanded (roll-your-eyes) comment that the trustees wouldn't approve her to the reporter asking the stupid question. Same proof that you tried to use. Plus I know who she wanted in the position from one of the two trustees I know.....as she was also the candidate he supported.

Reactions: Gaimcock

Cloniger is right. Look at all the schools in the South that have won National Championships in collegiate football and a large percentage have an ugly past with NCAA penalties. Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Clemson have all won National Championships in the 2000s and Florida and Clemson are connected by Charlie Pell's teachings and both were hammered by the NCAA. Alabama was hammered by the NCAA when Dabo was on Mike Dubose's coaching staff.

Even Bobby Bowden had to vacate wins that kept him from breaking the all time win record.

The FBI exposed the rampant cheating of the top schools in basketball and Clemson fired a coach that was on wire tap reporting how the football team was tight and kept cheating covered up.

The NCAA has found PEDs in urine samples of 1 team at the CFP and that was Clemson football players.

case in point, them vs us.

their softball team is in their first full season (last year covid cancelled most of season) they are 17th in the country, 26-4 overall, hired the damn team USA coach, and built a nice stadium.

their softball team is in their first full season (last year covid cancelled most of season) they are 17th in the country, 26-4 overall, hired the damn team USA coach, and built a nice stadium.

Yeah but, they killed track & field at a tractor school. That’s got to bite ‘em in the @$$ at some point. Right?

We play them next week and I doubt their softball stadium is nicer than ours. If you check out pictures of our softball facilities online, they are extremely nice.
Also it is right behind the Dodie and a parking garage is conveniently located nearby.

We have not had to cancel any athletic programs like Clemson.

Reactions: rogue cock
We play them next week and I doubt their softball stadium is nicer than ours. If you check out pictures of our softball facilities online, they are extremely nice.
Also it is right behind the Dodie and a parking garage is conveniently located nearby.

We have not had to cancel any athletic programs like Clemson.
Who cares if track and field was canceled. It cost money does not make money and is way down the list in popularity. Just like who cares if you win some cup for best athletics program if your major sports are not constantly in the top 10.
They made a business decision to kill a sport that cost them money. I don’t see the problem with that.

Because we are cheating too.
Are you serious? Do you know that? What about other programs nearby that are not cheating?
ok....say all programs are cheating and thus none will turn Clemson in. Then we need to shut up and quit blaming their success on their cheating!
They've got a well-established reputation for controlling access of the media up there. That's why most often the questions from local press are usually friendly and softball-like. Not to mention that the whole town knows that the football team is their cash cow. Not so much in Columbia.

Frank Martin said last year that there were plenty of times he thought there was dirty recruiting going on. But if you accuse them without knowing for sure you're right and have the proof to back it up, it would blow up in your face in the coaching community and on the recruiting trail (yeah, I know 😏).

But Brad Lawing has recently said that they once caught Clemson red-handed on video committing a major recruiting violation. Instead of turning them in, they confronted them with it, and Clemson backed off that recruit. I believe it was Stephon Gilmore, but I could be wrong.
I see the smiley at the End of your comments that Frank Martin made about recruiting. That’s typical Martin cover up for his lack of success. He always has an excuse, reason, justification, and holier than thou attitude. Hey, but that position has served him very, very well! Nine years, one NCAA appearance and he gets a two year extension and he will have more ammunition to excuse his failure.

Who cares if track and field was canceled. It cost money does not make money and is way down the list in popularity. Just like who cares if you win some cup for best athletics program if your major sports are not constantly in the top 10.
They made a business decision to kill a sport that cost them money. I don’t see the problem with that.
You think women"s softball that the just started will make them money? They will never make enough to pay for the stadium just built.

The 22 black Male student athletes that ran track and are losing their scholarships care.

Reactions: GCDC1959
You think women"s softball that the just started will make them money? They will never make enough to pay for the stadium just built.

The 22 black Male student athletes that ran track and are losing their scholarships care.
Right but you pick up a sport that has more popularity. I would and have gone to a softball game. I’m not going to a tract meet and done know a single person that I know that would unless their child was competing.

Are you serious? Do you know that? What about other programs nearby that are not cheating?
ok....say all programs are cheating and thus none will turn Clemson in. Then we need to shut up and quit blaming their success on their cheating!

I see the smiley at the End of your comments that Frank Martin made about recruiting. That’s typical Martin cover up for his lack of success. He always has an excuse, reason, justification, and holier than thou attitude. Hey, but that position has served him very, very well! Nine years, one NCAA appearance and he gets a two year extension and he will have more ammunition to excuse his failure.
Yeah, we need a coach that is not afraid to play the AAU game and get their hands dirty.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Right but you pick up a sport that has more popularity. I would and have gone to a softball game. I’m not going to a tract meet and done know a single person that I know that would unless their child was competing.

You asked earlier if I was being sarcastic...not really. First, don’t use yourself as the barometer for interest in a sport (softball). Folks like different things. My comment about Clemson’s ‘don’t give a dam attitude’ goes in line with dropping track bc of money and then turnaround and expand FB stadium. Haven’t heard a peep, we try to address the basketball situation and .... everybody weigh in.

Ellis Johnson tells a similar story on the Kornblut show now and again, about I think both Devonte Holloman and Gilmore, they were both from South Pointe and in the 2009 class. Holloman was committed at one point to Clemson.

Of course now I think when I hear it, if you had something so good that agreed to stop recruiting the players, then why not just turn it over to the NCAA and crush them back then. They would of done that to us, most likely, LOL. Of course who knew what Dabo would create back then.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Our university unlike clemson is not committed to winning. the one difference in the 2 universities i will say is clemson really only cares mainly about football success....and USC looks more at all sports.

This is BS and an excuse fans say to feel better. Carolina and Clemson both care equally about the other sports. Carolina only cares about WBB because they win, prior to that no Gamecock fan was following WBB.

Clemson has been a better basketball program than Carolina for awhipe now, just look at NCAA appearances over the last 20 years.

In baseball Clemson has always been a better program until Tanner took over. USC struck gold with Tanner, but it isnt as if Clemson struggled. They just weren't as good.

Clemson is good in other sports just like Carolina is. Clemson soccer and golf have won multiple NCs. They just invested in a softball program.

Most Gamecock fans would love to have 3 CFB NCs and dominate the instate rival in America's most popular sport. To deny this is only creating a lie in your head to make you feel better

You want to know the difference in the two? Clemson, while state supported, operates a lot like a privately owned business where ownership is taken by its alumni. Clemson alumni do what is best for Clemskn Carolina operates like a government entity that is run by crooked politicians who do what us best for their own personal political gains.

Mock the rivals all you want, but it seems like every month Carolina has a new PR disaster on its hands. I hate Clemson, but there is a difference and it isnt who loves what sports the most

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT