ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa State guy is going to be one of the top sought after coaches in the off season. He has done

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
a remarkable job for the Cyclones.

I would like for us to at least take a look at him. But, I don't like to take guys that are out of our geographical area for the most part. It seems most coaches that leave their geographical area don't do well in other sections of the country. There are exceptions of course, Meyer and Saban to name a couple.

Be a waste if time. Figure he is just waiting on Michigan. And he has probably developed a better situation than he would have at USC

How about Neal Brown at West Virginia? He was at Troy where he went 35-16 in 4 years winning their conference once and their division 2 times. At WV, he went 5-7 in his first year and 3-6 in the conference. In his 2nd season there he is 5-3 and 4-3 in his conference (Big 12). He is offense-oriented and only 40. He is from Kentucky and has coached in the SEC. One of the Columbia radio guys said there's mutual interest between us and him. He only makes about $3 million, so not terribly expensive. Seems to me like he'd be a great fit but, that's me.

By the way, while at Troy, took his team on the road and beat Nebraska and LSU. He lost by only 6 at Clemson.

Last edited:
How about Neal Brown at West Virginia? He was at Troy where he went 35-16 in 4 years winning their conference once and their division 2 times. At WV, he went 5-7 in his first year and 3-6 in the conference. In his 2nd season there he is 5-3 and 4-3 in his conference (Big 12). He is offense-oriented and only 40. He is from Kentucky and has coached in the SEC. One of the Columbia radio guys said there's mutual interest between us and him. He only makes about $3 million, so not terribly expensive. Seems to me like he'd be a great fit but, that's me.

By the way, while at Troy, took his team on the road and beat Nebraska and LSU. He lost by only 6 at Clemson.

I would be interested in taking a further look.

Reactions: gamecock stock

I would like for us to at least take a look at him. But, I don't like to take guys that are out of our geographical area for the most part. It seems most coaches that leave their geographical area don't do well in other sections of the country. There are exceptions of course, Meyer and Saban to name a couple.
Freddie, could it be another 1 hit wonder?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

next coach at Michigan.

Reactions: midline
I could live with taking a look at Brown from WVU. Not sure of his situation there, but am sure he would love to get out of West Virginia. As far as the guy from Iowa St? Expect him to be in serious talks with Michigan as soon as they pull the plug on Harbaugh.

Dietzel also - originally from Ohio, I believe, as was Joe Morrison.
Dietzel's first HC job was LSU. Then Army and then SC.

Morrison was at UT-Chattanooga, then New Mexico and then SC.

I'm looking for a coach that we hired with no previous ties to the south and who we hired straight from a midwest team.

There is not one. A few had ties to the midwest or coached there at some point but none came here directly from a midwest team. Every one of them had coached in the south at some point in their career.

So let’s recap. The two coaches we have hired from the Midwest have turned out to be pretty good ones, yet we have people scared to pull the trigger. Sparky Woods was familiar with the area and so was Will Muschamp. Hire the right guy regardless of where he is from.

Matt Campbell has been approached by no less than 6 NFL teams. Pretty sure based on that and putting Iowa State in position to win a conference title since 1912 shows he can coach.

Holtz was an assistant at SC under Dietzel. He had coached in the south too. (W&M, NCSU, Arkansas)

Dietzel was a Miami of Ohio guy and then worked under Bryant at UK. His first HC job was LSU.

Have we ever hired a coach straight from a midwest team?

Holtz wasn’t hired bc he had a connection at SC, or used to coach at Arkansas. He was hired because of his success and reputation at ND.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Just wondering out loud. If we got Holtz and Spurrier, why could we not get Meyer? I’m not a big fan of his. I’m just saying we shouldn’t scratch any name off the list. You never know what might motivate a coach to come here.

The geographic background may have been a valid argument as little as 20 years ago, but now with games coming into your living room every weekend from every conference I'm not so sure that holds that much weight anymore.
HC's, particularly assistants move around quite frequently so contacts have been made wherever they have been. In addition recruiting is more national than it has ever been. Not to discount the familiarity of a certain region, I just don't think it would be that much of a disadvantage any more.

Just wondering out loud. If we got Holtz and Spurrier, why could we not get Meyer? I’m not a big fan of his. I’m just saying we shouldn’t scratch any name off the list. You never know what might motivate a coach to come here.
Assuming there would be mutual interest, I believe the biggest obstacle would be money. I don't know how true it is, but I've seen where some think Meyer would be pushing the $10,000,000 mark for salary.

Assuming there would be mutual interest, I believe the biggest obstacle would be money. I don't know how true it is, but I've seen where some think Meyer would be pushing the $10,000,000 mark for salary.
Not a penny less.

Is it not obvious that any qualified coach isn't looking to come here? No offense to Wes and Chris, but I find the pollyannish refrain that there are a number of great candidates who would kill to be coach here, is quite a load of BS. Spurrier and Holtz were looking for golf membership to Augusta National and were anomalies. This place is a coaching graveyard, no reputable coach on their way up wants their career to die here.

On paper, Bret Bielema was going to be a very good SEC football coach. I’m not sure, but I think Bielema was a defense guy like Muschamp. So I am hoping for an offense guy. I’m not as concerned about where the coach is from.

Who is the last "up and comer", non-proven HC that we have hired that's been "successful" here? Ever happened?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT