ADVERTISEMENT

The NIL deals are a double edged sword

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
So let's say, the Manning kid gets a couple of million dollars. His offensive line is getting zero.
1. How do you think that's going to sit with the offensive line? Does he share the money with the line? Will the offensive line play soft so he get's his ass handed to him?
2. Do kids start holding out and boycott playing if they feel slighted by small amounts of money or no money? This would be a breach of their scholarship, imo.
3. Does the Vandy players take a stand and not want to play BAMA due to most of BAMA's players getting paid? A forfeited game...

This is just not good for collegiate athletics...kids are being rewarded with scholarships...

IMO it's time to let kids leave for the NFL after one season of college if their good enough.

None of this has been a problem in any other pro sport. You think you're worth more money? Prove it. An OL complaining about marketing $$ disparities is no different than A'ja Wilson complaining about men getting paid more than women. It's free market economics. There's no crying in free market economics. The big winners will be attractive female athletes with social media followings and high profile skill players. You may have one player driving a luxury car and living in a luxury condo, and another living in student housing eating Ramen noodles.

Reactions: USMCatFan
Anyone that thinks this is good and will work smoothly is clueless....there will be many issues! mainly in this world now everyone wants equality....no way this can be equal!

Anyone that thinks this is good and will work smoothly is clueless....there will be many issues! mainly in this world now everyone wants equality....no way this can be equal!
Not equality, equity. Equality is that everyone has the same chance to seek whatever fame or riches they seek and are restrained only by desire, talent, and a demand for whatever they offer. Equity means that, regardless of everything else, including talent or demand, the outcome has to be the same. When you see people talking about equity, that is what they really mean.

And you are right people will complain and there will be lots of problems. (Can you imagine how insufferable Johnny Football would have been with unlimited cash -- worse than Old Broadway Joe in his day). As HBC would say, however, "it is what it is."

It certainly carries the risk of creating resentment in the locker room. No, this isn't comparable to the pros. Sure, the QB makes more than the OL, but they're all still millionaires. That's a good bit different than some guys getting something and others getting nothing at all.

I'm not arguing the merits of it, but it's plainly obvious that it's a perfect recipe for resentment.

Reactions: Lakecock1
It certainly carries the risk of creating resentment in the locker room. No, this isn't comparable to the pros. Sure, the QB makes more than the OL, but they're all still millionaires. That's a good bit different than some guys getting something and others getting nothing at all.

I'm not arguing the merits of it, but it's plainly obvious that it's a perfect recipe for resentment.
Buy the lineman some isotoner gloves and they'll be happy.

So let's say, the Manning kid gets a couple of million dollars. His offensive line is getting zero.
1. How do you think that's going to sit with the offensive line? Does he share the money with the line? Will the offensive line play soft so he get's his ass handed to him?
2. Do kids start holding out and boycott playing if they feel slighted by small amounts of money or no money? This would be a breach of their scholarship, imo.
3. Does the Vandy players take a stand and not want to play BAMA due to most of BAMA's players getting paid? A forfeited game...

This is just not good for collegiate athletics...kids are being rewarded with scholarships...

IMO it's time to let kids leave for the NFL after one season of college if their good enough.
Holding out? Holding out demanding NIL money? What the **** are we talking about here? You think holding out for sponsorship money would endear them to sponsors? This is so freaking stupid. Newsflash: kids are not nearly as fragile as you make them out to be. They grow up knowing that there's always someone more talented, more popular, better looking, more money, etc. Lineman know the deal in high school that skill positions get all the glory. It's almost a badge of honor to them.

• Haha
Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Holding out? Holding out demanding NIL money? What the **** are we talking about here? You think holding out for sponsorship money would endear them to sponsors? This is so freaking stupid. Newsflash: kids are not nearly as fragile as you make them out to be. They grow up knowing that there's always someone more talented, more popular, better looking, more money, etc. Lineman know the deal in high school that skill positions get all the glory. It's almost a badge of honor to them.
I agree. This red herring is not original, and it makes it even more frustrating pretending the concern is sincere.

Reactions: GreatestCock
I agree. This red herring is not original, and it makes it even more frustrating pretending the concern is sincere.
Why do you think people, in general, are lying about their concerns? Just because you may think their concerns are baseless or outright stupid, why does it have to mean they are lying?

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Why do you think people, in general, are lying about their concerns? Just because you may think their concerns are baseless or outright stupid, why does it have to mean they are lying?
There has been countless examples of favoritism and varying levels of privilege in college football, and I have never seen so much concern for the wellbeing of the locker room until this last week. It appears very disingenuous, and I have to wonder what the real issue is.

There has been countless examples of favoritism and varying levels of privilege in college football, and I have never seen so much concern for the wellbeing of the locker room until this last week. It appears very disingenuous, and I have to wonder what the real issue is.
The real issue is people are worried that the Ohio States, Alabamas, Texas, etc., are just going to outright buy players via crooked boosters that no longer have to be crooked about it. I think matters such as locker room cohesion, while perhaps a legit concern, are just ancillary.

The real issue is people are worried that the Ohio States, Alabamas, Texas, etc., are just going to outright buy players via crooked boosters that no longer have to be crooked about it. I think matters such as locker room cohesion, while perhaps a legit concern, are just ancillary.
College football will never be the same, but it has been a farce for a while. Perhaps some authority will create a framework. I listened to something this morning that indicated that this will likely happen. Unfortunately, the NCAA resisted this for so long that there is nothing in place. I can't say what will happen, but players deserve to make money off their name, image, and likeness. It has benefited certain parties for way too long.

It may take away some incentive to work hard for the Pros fir those who are getting paid now….. and maybe some players who aren’t getting paid could developed the attitude that they aren’t going to give 100% if they aren’t being compensated like the guy next to them.

I don’t know though. I’m so done with politics I haven’t read anything about this NIL stuff.

I can see resentment festering due to guys putting in the same work at practice week after week and not getting any money...all the while their hard work is allowing the "star" to look better (ie. offensive linemen's work allowing a QB to shine)

Reactions: uscfootfan
These comments show very little faith in the players. You think they can't handle the realities of capitalism? If they can't, maybe this will be something they actually learn in college. How about that, an actual silver lining to this cluster . . . .

Every starter if not every person in uniform will get some baseline of “endorsements” if the team is going to be competitive. And if the boosters don’t spread that love then you can certainly expect transfers to a school that will.

In addition, truly marketable stars will also get legit endorsements but I don’t see teammates getting ticked about that, as they are savvy enough to know the difference. You might as well be mad at Flo for repping progressive insurance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT