ADVERTISEMENT

The Opportunity To Go Home

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
We never know what motivates a player to do things he's never done, maybe even never knew he could do but 'going home' motivates every athlete I've ever asked that question.

I counted twenty-eight players from the state of Georgia on our roster and several of them are on our two-deep depth chart, thus very likely to see the field at some point tonight. Perusing Georgia's roster I counted two players from the state of South Carolina, neither yet on Georgia's published depth chart. Both were recruited by SC and clemson as 4-star players who in their classes were considered the 4th and 5th best players in SC during those years (2013-2014) by Rivals.

Many but not all of our players from the state of Georgia on the Gamecocks roster were also recruited by Georgia, Georgia Tech or both. They run the gamut from 2-4 stars at several positions. It seems obvious SC recruits the Atlanta-metro area very well as we have a lot of very good football players who come from that part of Georgia.

I imagine many former school friends, teammates, family members and friends of the family will be present in Athens to watch these guys take the field against the 'dawgs, maybe for the first time since they were still high school players in Georgia.

We're big underdogs and there's no question 'Carolina still has a lot of unanswered questions about who's who and what this team can do against not just teams it's assumed we'll beat but against teams like the Georgia Bulldogs. Few pundits (and seemingly few FGF posters) think we have a chance tonight.

We never know what motivates any athlete to do extraordinary things, but I believe 'going home' will help motivate every one of those 28 players given the chance to do their best tonight - providing them a little extra motivation.

It really is a game that's played one play at a time. We just need to win more of those plays than we lose. I don't feel 'good' I feel that we are ready. I don't feel confident we will win I feel that our players believe they can win. I'm very confident we have a plan to slow down Georgia and even more confident we have an offensive plan to exploit their weakness, whatever it is. Georgia's Georgia, which means they're good and we're playing in Athens, which is a very tough place to play. If you don't believe it consider that we're only 2-2 the last four times we've played there. We're 5-5 since Spurrier arrived and 4 out of 5 the last 5-years.
It 'ought to be a pretty good game. South Carolina has demonstrated we can beat Georgia, in Athens

In 2007 South Carolina finished 6-6 and was unranked. The 2007 Georgia Bulldogs finished 11-2 and ended the season ranked #2 in the nation by the AP poll after winning the Sugar Bowl.

BUT WE BEAT GEORGIA - IN ATHENS ... as 25.5 point underdogs. Final score: SC 16 UGA 12

And that was THREE SEASONS BEFORE we recruited our 1st '5-star' guy ... we did it with 2's and 3's and guts and determination and flat-out wanting it more than they did. THAT is how you beat Georgia in Athens.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention GA's QB that day, Matthew Stafford was drafted #1 in the NFL draft ... and Georgia's top rusher that day was Knowshon Moreno, also drafted in the 1st round (#12) by the Denver Broncos ... he rushed for about 1400 yards that season, ... he got 104 against us that day.

We held Stafford to 19/41 for 213 no TD's and 1 pick.
Georgia got no rushing TD's that day ... though Moreno did have 1 rush for 50 yards - but he was CAUGHT!

Our QB was Blake Mitchell, BUNCH of short passes, ZERO picks - 173 yards. BALL CONTROL ... Spurrier threw 'em where they weren't. Our top runner got about 55-60 yards, we didn't fumble, no interceptions. GREAT punting that day, GREAT defense by a bunch of guys nobody knew.
Only 2 guys 'drafted' off that team - one of 'em was Sidney Rice (and he didn't play defense).

HEART!!!! WE BEAT GEORGIA IN ATHENS!!! The 'nobody's' that NOBODY gave a chance.

Thanks for the history lesson. Nobody said upsets don't happen. In fact, the reason they are referred to as an upset is because the underdog (e.g., the team originally predicted to lose) wins the game.

Thanks for the history lesson. Nobody said upsets don't happen. In fact, the reason they are referred to as an upset is because the underdog (e.g., the team originally predicted to lose) wins the game.

If you were a Gamecock instead of a troll you'd know our history
. You're a Spurrier hater, and do and say whatever you can to run down 'Carolina while trying to call it pragmatism. You never saw Tommy Suggs lead us to 4 TD's in the final Q to beat UNC in Chapel Hill - you weren't there when SKINNY 158 pound Pat Watson put ACC player of the year Buddy Gore on his butt one on one at the goal line to preserve a 7-3 SC victory over clemson - you never saw Jeff Grantz score every time we touched the ball against clemson, those were 'UPSETS' ... Spurrier's wins OUR Gamecock wins over Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Alabama those weren't 'upsets' ... THAT was South Carolina getting BETTER, playing with the 'big boys' and more than holding our own.

Tonight's win won't be an upset, it will simply expose the miscalculations of a few professional gamblers, who after all call 51% a winning-streak.

History? I know your history. I know you're no Gamecock fan.

If you were a Gamecock instead of a troll you'd know our history. You're a Spurrier hater, and do and say whatever you can to run down 'Carolina while trying to call it pragmatism. You never saw Tommy Suggs lead us to 4 TD's in the final Q to beat UNC in Chapel Hill - you weren't there when SKINNY 158 pound Pat Watson put ACC player of the year Buddy Gore on his butt one on one at the goal line to preserve a 7-3 SC victory over clemson - you never saw Jeff Grantz score every time we touched the ball against clemson, those were 'UPSETS' ... Spurrier's wins OUR Gamecock wins over Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Alabama those weren't 'upsets' ... THAT was South Carolina getting BETTER, playing with the 'big boys' and more than holding our own.

Tonight's win won't be an upset, it will simply expose the miscalculations of a few professional gamblers, who after all call 51% a winning-streak.

History? I know your history. I know you're no Gamecock fan.
Yes, I did. Watched Joyce out jump Dedmon too. Hosted Traylor and Cremins at my house for dinner. Been a Gamecock since the 1960s. Got any more brilliance you want to share?

Reactions: cemani
I'll add this for the record. I like SOS and will forever be grateful for what he did for us. Not only the wins, but the way he forced us to get with the program and treat our facilities like shrines as the other guys do. I was always disappointed and sometimes embarrassed how our school and facilities paled in comparison to our competition. However, that's history now thanks in large part to SOS. My wish is for him to remain as a consultant to the AD as he previously indicated a willingness to do. He's a college guy and understands the SEC, which can only be good for us. But, he's past his prime and I resent that he's put his kid in charge. Jr. is not up to the task.

Yes, I did. Watched Joyce out jump Dedmon too. Hosted Traylor and Cremins at my house for dinner. Been a Gamecock since the 1960s. Got any more brilliance you want to share?

So you're that old and just now discovered the internet? I remember that also, but I'm not a crusty old bitter man. I still love my university...........what say u?

So you're that old and just now discovered the internet? I remember that also, but I'm not a crusty old bitter man. I still love my university...........what say u?
If you'll notice the # after my name, that means I've been around a while, Einstein. Or, should I refer to you as Steve Jobs?

We never know what motivates a player to do things he's never done, maybe even never knew he could do but 'going home' motivates every athlete I've ever asked that question.

I counted twenty-eight players from the state of Georgia on our roster and several of them are on our two-deep depth chart, thus very likely to see the field at some point tonight. Perusing Georgia's roster I counted two players from the state of South Carolina, neither yet on Georgia's published depth chart. Both were recruited by SC and clemson as 4-star players who in their classes were considered the 4th and 5th best players in SC during those years (2013-2014) by Rivals.

Many but not all of our players from the state of Georgia on the Gamecocks roster were also recruited by Georgia, Georgia Tech or both. They run the gamut from 2-4 stars at several positions. It seems obvious SC recruits the Atlanta-metro area very well as we have a lot of very good football players who come from that part of Georgia.

I imagine many former school friends, teammates, family members and friends of the family will be present in Athens to watch these guys take the field against the 'dawgs, maybe for the first time since they were still high school players in Georgia.

We're big underdogs and there's no question 'Carolina still has a lot of unanswered questions about who's who and what this team can do against not just teams it's assumed we'll beat but against teams like the Georgia Bulldogs. Few pundits (and seemingly few FGF posters) think we have a chance tonight.

We never know what motivates any athlete to do extraordinary things, but I believe 'going home' will help motivate every one of those 28 players given the chance to do their best tonight - providing them a little extra motivation.

It really is a game that's played one play at a time. We just need to win more of those plays than we lose. I don't feel 'good' I feel that we are ready. I don't feel confident we will win I feel that our players believe they can win. I'm very confident we have a plan to slow down Georgia and even more confident we have an offensive plan to exploit their weakness, whatever it is. Georgia's Georgia, which means they're good and we're playing in Athens, which is a very tough place to play. If you don't believe it consider that we're only 2-2 the last four times we've played there. We're 5-5 since Spurrier arrived and 4 out of 5 the last 5-years.
It 'ought to be a pretty good game. South Carolina has demonstrated we can beat Georgia, in Athens

In 2007 South Carolina finished 6-6 and was unranked. The 2007 Georgia Bulldogs finished 11-2 and ended the season ranked #2 in the nation by the AP poll after winning the Sugar Bowl.

BUT WE BEAT GEORGIA - IN ATHENS ... as 25.5 point underdogs. Final score: SC 16 UGA 12

And that was THREE SEASONS BEFORE we recruited our 1st '5-star' guy ... we did it with 2's and 3's and guts and determination and flat-out wanting it more than they did. THAT is how you beat Georgia in Athens.

Great post! I do believe we have a chance today if the WHOLE TEAM shows up and plays ALL FOUR QUARTERS. Let's go Gamecocks, it's GAMEDAY!

superfluous quotes and mispelling

Superfluous? Says who? Not I, the author. Single quotation marks make reference to irony not quotes when used with single words and often highlight unmentioned distinction between a word and its associated use.

Regarding your reference to 'mispelling' you misspelled it - and there's certainly irony in that, black chicken!

Superfluous? Says who? Not I, the author. Single quotation marks make reference to irony not quotes when used with single words and often highlight unmentioned distinction between a word and its associated use.

Regarding your reference to 'mispelling' you misspelled it - and there's certainly irony in that, black chicken!
I'm convinced SS1 is Bill O'Reilly. Always has to have the last word.

Reactions: cockynSC66
I'm convinced SS1 is Bill O'Reilly. Always has to have the last word.
Its an old man thing. He's comfortable with his Compaq PC and doesn't know how easy the typos come on a mobile device. Should probably seek advice from his younger sister's great grandchildren.

How do you feel about this rant now...you may know history but you clearly don't understand talent, or lack thereof in usc's case.

I haven't responded to one of this guy's posts in a while, but I'll gladly pile on.

"The Opportunity To Go Home" means next to nothing if you don't have the talent or coaching to put yourself in a position to win. The simple fact is, we have neither. Our top assistants have left for other programs. We replace them with mediocre choices. Our recruiting has been a HUGE disappointment each of the last 3 years. As a result, we have poorly conditioned, poorly coached, middle-of-the-road athletes, we're starting a walk-on QB, and have the worst receiving corp and one of the worst defenses in the league.

How on earth we got to this point, with this guy completely 20+ passes on us, is beyond me. I'll go ahead and say something I didn't think I'd feel the need to ever say: Spurrier, thank you. Thanks for elevating our program, thanks for showing us that we could compete and be a national player. But, it is time for you to go.

I'll add this for the record. I like SOS and will forever be grateful for what he did for us. Not only the wins, but the way he forced us to get with the program and treat our facilities like shrines as the other guys do. I was always disappointed and sometimes embarrassed how our school and facilities paled in comparison to our competition. However, that's history now thanks in large part to SOS. My wish is for him to remain as a consultant to the AD as he previously indicated a willingness to do. He's a college guy and understands the SEC, which can only be good for us. But, he's past his prime and I resent that he's put his kid in charge. Jr. is not up to the task.
Hey.....Traylor and Cremins never played together....sorry dude but you been busted ! Unless you hosted them years apart......and why those two....one from NY and the other from NC.....

Its an old man thing. He's comfortable with his Compaq PC and doesn't know how easy the typos come on a mobile device. Should probably seek advice from his younger sister's great grandchildren.

Oh, that's rich - TYPICAL snot-nose, hair gel blame it on others or other things. What a vacuous no mind. Kid I had a blackberry when you were still squealing for your wet nurse and a benz when you were still bawling and beggin' for a 'hot wheels'.

So the question would seem to be...Why did this program wait until 2010 to start recruiting 5 star caliber talent? And why did they stop?

giphy.gif

Hey.....Traylor and Cremins never played together....sorry dude but you been busted ! Unless you hosted them years apart......and why those two....one from NY and the other from NC.....
As a matter of fact, my family did. Sister was friends with Cremins and actually dated Traylor. Any more bright comments? Is this how some of you salve the beat down yesterday in Athens - by attacking fell SC fans who don't share you view that SOS is still the man?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT