ADVERTISEMENT

The other USC just suspended in-person classes this Fall

mcbear30

May 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
Edit - a small amount of classes (10-20%) will be offered in person, but Southern Cal is otherwise telling students to stay away.

Start making plans for your Saturdays folks, because it won't be spent watching college football in 2020.

Last edited:
Was this announcement made before the incoming students' tuition checks cleared? If so, I give them some credit for being up-front and not pulling the bait-and-switch.

Reactions: jonesz21
Was this announcement made before the incoming students' tuition checks cleared? If so, I give them some credit for being up-front and not pulling the bait-and-switch.

I think it would only be deposits lost at this point, not actual tuition. I saw that they're refunding dorm fees for those who had already paid FWIW.

60 Minutes had a story on this topic a few weeks ago. UNC said, at that time, they planned to have students return to campus. William and Mary was interviewed also. You can stream previous episodes.

Again, what did we think was going to happen? Did people really think the virus was "going to just go away"? I know someone did.[/QUOTE It will when we find a vaccine, which will be sooner than you think Until then, we have to be careful and keep moving.

^^^Well, we don't have a vaccine and there never was an expectation to have one by this time. I'm also not sure there is an expectation to have one any time soon.

I'm not advocating a position on shutting down, but hoping college kids would test negative was never much of a plan.

Hopi
^^^Well, we don't have a vaccine and there never was an expectation to have one by this time. I'm also not sure there is an expectation to have one any time soon.

I'm not advocating a position on shutting down, but hoping college kids would test negative was never much of a plan.
Even with a vaccine only about %35 get the flu shot. I wouldn’t see any reason this would be much more than 50%. At this point I think therapeutic treatment is more important.

Reactions: 92Pony
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

Reactions: 803blf

C

College students are in a very low risk category for serious virus complications. Having said that, elderly professors and related employees should stay home

Reactions: keydet#
Again, what did we think was going to happen? Did people really think the virus was "going to just go away"? I know someone did.
Actually most viruses go away as you approach the summer months, and slightly different strains return the next flu season (fall and winter). But the protests have also helped to elevate the problem in most states that had limited outbreaks.

Masks will not fully stop this virus since the do not filter down to the COVID virus particle size - also, remember that there are many pathways into the body besides breathing the particles

Yep. The summer heat will whisk it into a bad memory, right?
That is typical for most flu viruses since the historic flu season is in the fall and winter and the viruses start dying out in the summer. As I noted in a prior post, no masks unless perhaps supplied air will be totally effective. They do have some filter efficiency which lowers the chance. Kids have figured out if they do not have preexisting issues the likelihood of anything more than a cold is about it for them and as long as the do not affect parents and older folks then they should be good to go. My son got the virus and had no symptoms. Eventually the virus will work its way through the population until we reach herd immunity at which point the virus will disappear for the time being.

Hopi

Even with a vaccine only about %35 get the flu shot. I wouldn’t see any reason this would be much more than 50%. At this point I think therapeutic treatment is more important.

and there is only about a 50/50 proposition that a vaccine will be effective for each individual. What I would like to know is where this virus initiated and how did it get to the USA and are we 100% sure that it all started in China or were there more sinister elements at play

Actually most viruses go away as you approach the summer months, and slightly different strains return the next flu season (fall and winter). But the protests have also helped to elevate the problem in most states that had limited outbreaks.

Masks will not fully stop this virus since the do not filter down to the COVID virus particle size - also, remember that there are many pathways into the body besides breathing the particles
Yes, I've heard. No, the protests are not the reason we didn't get through the first wave.

and there is only about a 50/50 proposition that a vaccine will be effective for each individual. What I would like to know is where this virus initiated and how did it get to the USA and are we 100% sure that it all started in China or were there more sinister elements at play

Don't you think a better question is.....What does the USA with its enormous wealth and power and influence....have literally the worst outbreak of this virus on the planet??? Why??

No. Do you really think that protests are the reason we are seeing increases in cases?

This is such BS and simply trying to paint the protests against police brutality in a bad light. I live in a state that had very large protests. The state government offered free testing in the weeks following to anyone that attended. Thousands took the offer and got tested and our state-wide infection rates continue to fall.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Don't you think a better question is.....What does the USA with its enormous wealth and power and influence....have literally the worst outbreak of this virus on the planet??? Why??
People seem uncomfortable accepting that fact or asking why did we do so bad. The goalposts will continue to move.

Edit - a small amount of classes (10-20%) will be offered in person, but Southern Cal is otherwise telling students to stay away.

Start making plans for your Saturdays folks, because it won't be spent watching college football in 2020.
Yeah, my school is moving up the schedule so we can finish at Thanksgiving. It's ludicrous. Cov will burn through student housing like a brush fire. Zero chance we make to Turkey Day. I'm already filming my lectures in preparation.

Reactions: mcbear30
Because we have the most diverse and multicultural population in the entire world.

From the article:
"The usual suspects lead the list of culturally diverse countries: Chad, Cameroon, Nigeria, Togo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. These and other African countries typically rank high on any diversity index because of their multitude of tribal groups and languages"

"A caution: Cultural diversity is a different concept than ethnic diversity. As a result, a map of the world reflecting ethnic diversity looks somewhat different than the one based on Goren’s cultural diversity measure that combines language and ethnicity profiles of a country."

and we travel the most, not just in the us but abroad as well.

How do you know this? All the data I have seen is that American travel to other countries significantly less than the peoples of other similar, modern western countries.

Harvard now cancelling in-person instruction as well. They’re allowing 40% of students on campus, but all classes will be online.

How do you know this? All the data I have seen is that American travel to other countries significantly less than the peoples of other similar, modern western countries.
The United States is the overall world leader for international travel. We are #2 in outbound (Germany) and #3 in inbound (France, Spain).

The United States is the overall world leader for international travel. We are #2 in outbound (Germany) and #3 in inbound (France, Spain).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-...0QXp6G41XAaOgUWV30QcI3-wZXWLBKndimvP922gi3LoS

"The real story is that when broken down, those 25.8 million trips overseas were taken by approximately just 13.3 million American residents. And that means that in total, the real number of Americans that actually traveled (took trips) overseas in 2009 for either business or leisure, was about 15.5 million --o r just five percent of our nation's 311 million residents!"

And yes, I realize this article is old but dont see any reason the %'s here would have changed significantly over this time. Also the point in the article is a good one that a large number of Americans traveling abroad are foriegn born citizens/permanent residents who are traveling to visit their birth country.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-...0QXp6G41XAaOgUWV30QcI3-wZXWLBKndimvP922gi3LoS

"The real story is that when broken down, those 25.8 million trips overseas were taken by approximately just 13.3 million American residents. And that means that in total, the real number of Americans that actually traveled (took trips) overseas in 2009 for either business or leisure, was about 15.5 million --o r just five percent of our nation's 311 million residents!"

And yes, I realize this article is old but dont see any reason the %'s here would have changed significantly over this time. Also the point in the article is a good one that a large number of Americans traveling abroad are foriegn born citizens/permanent residents who are traveling to visit their birth country.
Well you’re citing a blog from Huffington Post. Here is the raw data from travel.trade.gov for outbound international travel from the US in 2019. Around 83.4 million individual trips.
https://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2019-O-001/index.html

Reactions: be cocky
umm because 1/5 americans is ten times more than the entire swedish population. maff

Well you’re citing a blog from Huffington Post. Here is the raw data from travel.trade.gov for outbound international travel from the US in 2019. Around 83.4 million individual trips.
https://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2019-O-001/index.html

Data can be a confusing thing. The relevant point of it here, when there is an attempt to compare Americans traveling outside its country to other nations, is percentages not raw travelers. Do Americans proportionly leave their country to travel more or less than citizens of other countries.

Data can be a confusing thing. The relevant point of it here, when there is an attempt to compare Americans traveling outside its country to other nations, is percentages not raw travelers. Do Americans proportionly leave their country to travel more or less than citizens of other countries.

i’m purely speaking of how many people leave this country and visit another. not by averages.

The relevance of gross numbers is far more pertinent than proportionality when speaking of a highly contagious viral pandemic.

Reactions: be cocky
my entire point was to show that we’re spreading the virus faster because of our travel habits. done deal

my entire point was to show that we’re spreading the virus faster because of our travel habits. done deal

I think i get your point just don't agree. I think it has much more to do with 1) a slow federal response after weeks of ignoring it 2) lack of early availability of testing and contract tracing and 3) an inconsistent, state-by-state approach due to the lack of federal coordination and leadership and our President constantly telling folks its no big deal and will soon magically disappear. And I dont really even blame him. I blame those dumb enough to believe him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT