ADVERTISEMENT

The PAC-12 got taken by con artists

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Yesterday at 8:57 PM
An @Oregonian investigation: Presentation Pac-12 presidents and chancellors saw before postponing sports featured overstated COVID-19 statistics

The Pac-12 says it pulled the data from COVID Act Now, the L.A. County Department of Public Health and California Department of Public Health on Aug. 8. Those three sources all deny ever listing the inaccurate statistic and an L.A. County Department of Public Health official said the seven-day average positivity rate for tests in Los Angeles County has never been 19%.

“The most glaring incorrect metric listed the seven-day average positivity rate for tests in Los Angeles County as 19% — more than three times the 5.49% average listed by the L.A. County Department of Public Health.”

“A review of the statistics featured in the 13-slide presentation by the Pac-12′s Student-Athlete Health and Well-Being Initiative and COVID-19 Advisory Committee to the conference’s presidents and chancellors, obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive via a public records request, reveals numerous discrepancies in data for the seven-day moving average of positive tests within the counties of Pac-12 schools. The seven-day average is one of the two primary metrics used by the conference’s medical experts regarding the prevalence level of the virus. The other was new infections per 100,000 residents within the county of each member school.”

“King County is listed as having a 5.1% seven-day average of positive tests in the Pac-12′s presentation, but that figure is 2.9% on King County’s COVID-19 daily outbreak summary data dashboard as well as the Washington State Department of Health’s COVID-19 data dashboard for testing in King County.”

“The Pac-12′s decision to postpone fall sports will cost more than $600 million, based on $50 million in projected losses at each school. Oregon athletics is budgeting for a loss of $56 million to $81 million, depending whether there is an eight-game spring football season with or without fans, no football season or no Pac-12 sports at all in 2020-21.”

https://t.co/nizTIUJj8U?amp=1

Last edited:
Manditory masks, quarantines and lock downs, city barricades, selective business closures... my hope is when all is said and done, we have clear guidelines on who has the power to do what under the constitution going forward.
Lot of power drunk officals out there needing to be reeled in.

Yesterday at 8:57 PM
An @Oregonian investigation: Presentation Pac-12 presidents and chancellors saw before postponing sports featured overstated COVID-19 statistics

The Pac-12 says it pulled the data from COVID Act Now, the L.A. County Department of Public Health and California Department of Public Health on Aug. 8. Those three sources all deny ever listing the inaccurate statistic and an L.A. County Department of Public Health official said the seven-day average positivity rate for tests in Los Angeles County has never been 19%.

“The most glaring incorrect metric listed the seven-day average positivity rate for tests in Los Angeles County as 19% — more than three times the 5.49% average listed by the L.A. County Department of Public Health.”

“A review of the statistics featured in the 13-slide presentation by the Pac-12′s Student-Athlete Health and Well-Being Initiative and COVID-19 Advisory Committee to the conference’s presidents and chancellors, obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive via a public records request, reveals numerous discrepancies in data for the seven-day moving average of positive tests within the counties of Pac-12 schools. The seven-day average is one of the two primary metrics used by the conference’s medical experts regarding the prevalence level of the virus. The other was new infections per 100,000 residents within the county of each member school.”

“King County is listed as having a 5.1% seven-day average of positive tests in the Pac-12′s presentation, but that figure is 2.9% on King County’s COVID-19 daily outbreak summary data dashboard as well as the Washington State Department of Health’s COVID-19 data dashboard for testing in King County.”

“The Pac-12′s decision to postpone fall sports will cost more than $600 million, based on $50 million in projected losses at each school. Oregon athletics is budgeting for a loss of $56 million to $81 million, depending whether there is an eight-game spring football season with or without fans, no football season or no Pac-12 sports at all in 2020-21.”

https://t.co/nizTIUJj8U?amp=1

Proof that the elite will believe anything and check nothing to find the absolute truth. The funny thing is people send their children their with the premise it will benefit the child. That is Sad.

Proof that the elite will believe anything and check nothing to find the absolute truth. The funny thing is people send their children their with the premise it will benefit the child. That is Sad.
Either they played stupid like that or they had an agenda and the numbers they chose to use conformed within that, meaning politics was in play.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Either they played stupid like that or they had an agenda and the numbers they chose to use conformed within that, meaning politics was in play.
True. Could’ve been like the mayor of Nashville who should be hung btw. Sooner or later someone will go after one of the lying politicians that cost them their business or a loved ones life. I’m afraid Its not going to get better before it gets worse

True. Could’ve been like the mayor of Nashville who should be hung btw. Sooner or later someone will go after one of the lying politicians that cost them their business or a loved ones life. I’m afraid Its not going to get better before it gets worse
I got a feeling we'll hear a lot more cases like that going forward. We can only hope the hammer drops hard when it does

This is their way of backpedaling on the football decision, I'm sure. Now if they change their mind, it's because they were lied to, not because they pussied out when the B1G did claiming it was for safety and then got left holding the bag when no one else felt those extreme measures were necessary. They are followers who picked the wrong horse to follow and are trying to not look like followers.

Quoted from the piece: “A member of the conference’s medical advisory group says it still would have recommended delaying the season, even without that statistic.”

So what’s the point here again?

The medical advisory board doesn't make the decision, the Pac-12 votes by school. The medical advisory board used lies to justify their recommendation to the schools. To paraphrase what they just said: "We were going to recommend this no matter what the facts said, so even if you caught us in lies justifying our conclusions, it wouldn't matter to us what the facts were as our recommendations were predetermined irregardless of the facts."

That sucks for them. Having the players holding them hostage didn't help matters either.

Yes. One other thing that will bite the PAC 12 (and perhaps the Big 10) is future recruiting. The athletes who really want to play will take into account the timidness of these conferences and their propensity to shut down in the face of the first warning that is not well supported.

The Data suggest in significant terms that the threat posed by Covid to humans under 30 is minimal. Cut it, slice it, dice it it is still limited. Contagion is present but fatality is very low.

Yes. One other thing that will bite the PAC 12 (and perhaps the Big 10) is future recruiting. The athletes who really want to play will take into account the timidness of these conferences and their propensity to shut down in the face of the first warning that is not well supported.

The Data suggest in significant terms that the threat posed by Covid to humans under 30 is minimal. Cut it, slice it, dice it it is still limited. Contagion is present but fatality is very low.

... and even that minimal risk to anyone under 30 is almost always associated with risk factors like asthma, uncontrolled high blood pressure, massive obesity, lung problems, heavy smoking, etc that really no highly conditioned athlete would have and still be able compete.

I’m sure the players are just furious when they watch other teams playing. Gotta hand it to the ACC though — they jumped out there first and are now reaping the rewards. I watched every televised ACC game yesterday when I normally wouldn’t have watched a single one. Pissed that the SEC is starting three weeks late.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I’m sure the players are just furious when they watch other teams playing. Gotta hand it to the ACC though — they jumped out there first and are now reaping the rewards. I watched every televised ACC game yesterday when I normally wouldn’t have watched a single one. Pissed that the SEC is starting three weeks late.
Well in reality the ACC has only given us some pretty bad football overall as it normally does.
I think most people are looking forward to SEC starting Next Saturday So they can see teams like Bama. LSU Georgia Florida Auburn Texas a and M and GAMECOCKS etc
SEC allowed more time before starting to allow more time to get more info
So yes ACC has played but Duke and Wake and those teams just don’t excite fans on a national level

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
This is their way of backpedaling on the football decision, I'm sure. Now if they change their mind, it's because they were lied to, not because they pussied out when the B1G did claiming it was for safety and then got left holding the bag when no one else felt those extreme measures were necessary. They are followers who picked the wrong horse to follow and are trying to not look like followers.
I feel like the BIG 10 really thought they would influence the other Power 5 conferences into the same decision. Oops.

While I agree with this, some of the arguments on the other side aint about fatality rates, everyone agrees on the risk of fatality to different groups. The argument is more about the unknown longterm effects.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
While I agree with this, some of the arguments on the other side aint about fatality rates, everyone agrees on the risk of fatality to different groups. The argument is more about the unknown longterm effects.
Yep. I'm no defender of the PAC-10, but in AZ, the infection rates were 20% near the time of this decision. Additionally, there were concerns that there were potential heart complications in COVID-19 patients. Hindsight is 20/20, but at the time of PAC-10s decision, there were some real concerns that something bad would happen if they played.
Implying the PAC-10 got had by some "con artist" is political angling and not based on the facts at the time of the decision.
Links below:
'It does affect more than your lungs': Why COVID-19 survivors may need to get screened for heart damage
Research reveals heart complications in COVID-19 patients

CA showing spike in new cases around early Aug.

Chart showing 20% infection rates in AZ last 2 weeks of June:

Ah, yes...the old long term effects that no one knows anything about. Let's cancel the season over nothing more than a wild guess.

I guess the takeaway is that when you don't like something, just make a drastic assertion that can't be proven one way or the other...and then hop on the high and mighty soap box when x% of the population calls you crazy.

Reactions: SOSUSC
ADVERTISEMENT