ADVERTISEMENT

The price for the vaccine

Remdesivir is not a vaccine.

Shussssh.... You can't tell people that.... They won't go back to work....

If they think Remdesivir is a vaccine, they will actually live their lives and go to work, school and play sports...

We know it's another form of treatment, like the flu shots where people will feel invincible...

I think the price for an actual vaccine will be similar to a flu shot.

I fully support taking massive profit out of the equation with legislation. I wonder how many republicans will go along with that proposal...... Hmm.......

Reactions: xTHExNERFxHAMMERx

I fully support taking massive profit out of the equation with legislation. I wonder how many republicans will go along with that proposal...... Hmm.......
Massive profits are already out of the equation for most vaccine manufacturers. They make their money in other areas. I suspect they will pressure the companies to take less profit in exchange for liability protection.

I would imagine the vaccine will be free. Or close to it. It will be demanded for the entitlement crowd. But who knows if what they come up with will even work? Seems like every year I have gotten a flu shot, I still seem to catch another flu. One always sweeps the country that the geniuses weren't prepared for. This virus could mutate just a little bit and some vaccine would be worthless. It will work out over time anyway. But we cannot let the nervous folks that want to stay at home in the basement until they have a guarantee they won't die, contol the narrative on this. Time for the healthy folks to put their big boy pants back on and live as normal

I would imagine the vaccine will be free. Or close to it. It will be demanded for the entitlement crowd. But who knows if what they come up with will even work? Seems like every year I have gotten a flu shot, I still seem to catch another flu. One always sweeps the country that the geniuses weren't prepared for. This virus could mutate just a little bit and some vaccine would be worthless. It will work out over time anyway. But we cannot let the nervous folks that want to stay at home in the basement until they have a guarantee they won't die, contol the narrative on this. Time for the healthy folks to put their big boy pants back on and live as normal

Sounds like another straw man argument you are offering.

I think a vaccine won't be free. I don't know of any vaccine that is free. I know some people don't have to pay out of pocket for one based on insurance, or other qualifying factor.

I was on 2 different lakes twice this weekend. I didn't see any lack of crowds.

Folks like my parents- both with pacemakers, one coming off recent hip surgery, one undergoing medical treatment now- are staying at home- as they should.

I think there are too many ignorant people out there walking around that have no idea how many people have health conditions that preclude them from acting as if nothing is different these days.

Massive profits are already out of the equation for most vaccine manufacturers. They make their money in other areas. I suspect they will pressure the companies to take less profit in exchange for liability protection.

I don't disagree.

But maybe legislation can guarantee it for those concerned about all the money being made by vaccine manufacturers because my social media is full of right wing conspiracies about how Bill Gates is making billions on the upcoming vaccines.

I don't disagree.

But maybe legislation can guarantee it for those concerned about all the money being made by vaccine manufacturers because my social media is full of right wing conspiracies about how Bill Gates is making billions on the upcoming vaccines.

He's putting gps tracing nanites in the vaccine to better help with social distancing and tracing contacts to help slow the spread of the disease. He is then going to sell all of this tracking data to advertisers... That's how he is going to be the 1st trillionaire...

Reactions: Dizzy01
Anybody else's family basically quarantining themselves during this shit?
My parents are about to turn 66 and 69 in Sept and have basically not seen their kids (me and my sisters) or grandkids because they are scared of catching this.
I understand to an extent, but I wouldn't cut off my family over this.

I think a vaccine won't be free. I don't know of any vaccine that is free. I know some people don't have to pay out of pocket for one based on insurance, or other qualifying factor.

Folks like my parents- both with pacemakers, one coming off recent hip surgery, one undergoing medical treatment now- are staying at home- as they should.

I think there are too many ignorant people out there walking around that have no idea how many people have health conditions that preclude them from acting as if nothing is different these days.
I’m on Medicare and get a flu shot annually. It’s free to me. In addition a pneumonia and shingle vaccine was free as well.

Back during polio epidemic, the vaccine was free to all.

I’m on Medicare and get a flu shot annually. It’s free to me. In addition a pneumonia and shingle vaccine was free as well.
Nope. That would be covered under Part B, which unless you are part of some special group, you pay a monthly premium. Since it's preventive, there may or may not be a deductible/co-pay.. Not pulling money out of your pocket for a specific service at the time of that service is much different than being free.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseCock
Nope. That would be covered under Part B, which unless you are part of some special group, you pay a monthly premium. Since it's preventive, there may or may not be a deductible/co-pay.. Not pulling money out of your pocket for a specific service at the time of that service is much different than being free.
Sure it’s part B, and I pay a premium. Just like millions of Americans. However I know how many $$ my premium is monthly. Therefore I‘m not subject to sudden hundreds or thousands of dollars in medical costs.

Why don’t you exercise you free market freedom and buy some stock, in other words take some risk, in the Company that will make “massive” profits?

Anybody else's family basically quarantining themselves during this shit?
My parents are about to turn 66 and 69 in Sept and have basically not seen their kids (me and my sisters) or grandkids because they are scared of catching this.
I understand to an extent, but I wouldn't cut off my family over this.

Sure mine are doing the same and I don’t blame them.

Why don’t you exercise you free market freedom and buy some stock, in other words take some risk, in the Company that will make “massive” profits?

I don’t buy individual stocks. I buy right at $1300 worth of shares in various mutual funds each month through my retirement program and personal investing. I’ve done that for 25 years.

I don’t buy individual stocks. I buy right at $1300 worth of shares in various mutual funds each month through my retirement program and personal investing. I’ve done that for 25 years.
Wish I would have done this. Instead I accumulated large holdings in GE and BAC over 25 years. If I sold both today, I would have capital loss carryforwards for 116 years. Always diversify.

smart move. Keep it up. Not much longer to go.

Well true. It won't be free. All of us hard working tax payers will pay for ours, along with three, or four, others. But it will come packaged as free courtesy of the government.

401k plans generally give you limited options to invest in. They are almost always mutual funds, and generally you get no say in the fees or options- sometimes it is hard to even find the fees. Not much you can do about it while working though, just be ready to roll it over and consolidate it where your other money is the SECOND you can after retirement to save yourself some money on fees, simplify your financial situation to manage during your life and- God forbid- once something happens to you to make it easier on those others who may benefit from your assets that are left... Makes it easier to ensure your assets pass correctly too..

In your personal accounts you should consider looking at Exchange traded funds instead. You get the same exact (just more passive) “track the market” investing index funds give you but for a fraction of the costs. *the vast majority of MFs just track/mirror an index but the fund managers trade them more actively to try to “beat the benchmark”- which like 90% do NOT DO, and it costs you more in fees and the trading kicks off more short term tax liabilities than ETFs. The average MF runs you 0.6-1-1.5% in fees per year for a no Load fund. If you are still paying a sales load (not sure? Do you own A, B, or C shares? Yes, you are paying loads), then you are NOT working with a reputable fiduciary and should switch managers/companies, AND you are paying an extra 1% or so per year (about 5.75% right up front for an A share).

MFs are a great way to get started investing and dollar cost averaging like you have done for so long has advantages (if you are just contributing along and along instead of all in one big lump sum then it is better than trying to time the market when making those deposits IOW), but once you are getting close to retirement and HAVE some reasonable level of assets, you should get a comprehensive financial plan done. This will help align your investments with your risks and goals so you can feel confident in sustaining your lifestyle over time and reduce the chance you will make a catastrophic mistake that is a detriment to you achieving your long term goals.

Last edited:
401k plans generally give you limited options to invest in. They are almost always mutual funds, and generally you get no say in the fees or options- sometimes it is hard to even find the fees. Not much you can do about it while working though, just be ready to roll it over and consolidate it where your other money is the SECOND you can after retirement to save yourself some money on fees, simplify your financial situation to manage during your life and- God forbid- once something happens to you to make it easier on those others who may benefit from your assets that are left... Makes it easier to ensure your assets pass correctly too..

In your personal accounts you should consider looking at Exchange traded funds instead. You get the same exact (just more passive) “track the market” investing index funds give you but for a fraction of the costs. *the vast majority of MFs just track/mirror an index but the fund managers trade them more actively to try to “beat the benchmark”- which like 90% do NOT DO, and it costs you more in fees and the trading kicks off more short term tax liabilities than ETFs. The average MF runs you 0.6-1-1.5% in fees per year for a no Load fund. If you are still paying a sales load (not sure? Do you own A, B, or C shares? Yes, you are paying loads), then you are NOT working with a reputable fiduciary and should switch managers/companies, AND you are paying an extra 1% or so per year (about 5.75% right up front for an A share).

MFs are a great way to get started investing and dollar cost averaging like you have done for so long has advantages (if you are just contributing along and along instead of all in one big lump sum then it is better than trying to time the market when making those deposits IOW), but once you are getting close to retirement and HAVE some reasonable level of assets, you should get a comprehensive financial plan done. This will help align your investments with your risks and goals so you can feel confident in sustaining your lifestyle over time and reduce the chance you will make a catastrophic mistake that is a detriment to you achieving your long term goals.

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

I have talked to several advisors over the years in terms of interviewing them prior to utilizing their services, but I ultimately declined. The reality is that I simply don’t trust anyone to manage, or provide a plan for my funds. So I do it myself.

I read a variety of investment guides and newsletters (T Rowe Price, Fidelity, etc) as well as financial websites, and I listen to podcasts by folks like Clark Howard, Dave Ramsey, Mutual Fund Store Radio’s Adam Bold, etc)

Outside of my 401k, I have a handful of IRAS plus a ROTH IRA. I also have personal mutual fund accounts. All of these are with a very low cost, well known and oft recommended, provider.

I have a nice, diverse mix of mutual funds with low expenses. I focus on low expense funds. I’ve been pleased with my returns for a number of years. I’m sure I could earn a few % more from time to time if I did various other things but I’m on target to achieve my goals and at this point I prefer to focus on things outside of changing up what has worked well for me.

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

I have talked to several advisors over the years in terms of interviewing them prior to utilizing their services, but I ultimately declined. The reality is that I simply don’t trust anyone to manage, or provide a plan for my funds. So I do it myself.

I read a variety of investment guides and newsletters (T Rowe Price, Fidelity, etc) as well as financial websites, and I listen to podcasts by folks like Clark Howard, Dave Ramsey, Mutual Fund Store Radio’s Adam Bold, etc)

Outside of my 401k, I have a handful of IRAS plus a ROTH IRA. I also have personal mutual fund accounts. All of these are with a very low cost, well known and oft recommended, provider.

I have a nice, diverse mix of mutual funds with low expenses. I focus on low expense funds. I’ve been pleased with my returns for a number of years. I’m sure I could earn a few % more from time to time if I did various other things but I’m on target to achieve my goals and at this point I prefer to focus on things outside of changing up what has worked well for me.
Good! I am glad it has worked out well for you! I understand what you are saying, and I am not soliciting your business or making recommendations for you personally on a website, just speaking broadly in an attempt to help you and anyone else who might need a bit of help... (LONG, but take 5 minutes to read it. I am passionate about this as I have 15 years of experience watching folks make all of these mistakes, some ruining their retirements! )

Dave Ramsey is a great read/program for people who need to learn how to better manage their finances, I would caution against considering his advice for investing- he is very general and sort of rushed through that portion of things and while he can help people get out if debt and start on the right path to saving, to build wealth you need to own ASSETS, and understanding how to stop working for money and make your money work for you- this is the difference between people who “get bye” and rich people. I know DAVE is rich, but his advice is not for people ready to take the next step from saver to wealthy person.

In fact when it comes to specific investments, be careful taking generalized advice from “stock pickers”, radio folks, newsletters... anyone who has not analyzed your personal situation and risk tolerance. (Again speaking broadly for everyone not to you specifically Rollerdude), because they have different goals, time frames and risk tolerances than you have personally. Think of it this way/ where is your pain point? The point where you toss your hands up, say “I can’t take it” and go to cash when the market is selling off? If you are decades from retiring, you probably don’t think about it. “It will come back, I have time” you say? True. Fast forward 20 years to “I am retiring next year”. Where is your pain point? Probably no longer the same place! If you entered 2020 thinking you would retire in June. Then THIS year happened and late March your portfolio is now down 40%. What do you say then? “I have time”? Or- “oh s&$t, what do I do now”? Obviously if you stayed in, it came back REAL FAST, right? If you sold... and are retired now, didn’t get back in... Sounds too BAD to be true? Wrong. Happened to hundreds of thousands of people (millions?) in 08! Happened just like that for way too many people this year too! That is a case where a person could have gotten fine advice from the perspective of someone giving it but for the person Doing the investing they got blind sided by too much risk and their emotions may have cost them a future of financial security... As my last boss put it- so often the biggest obstacle to your sustained financial
Success is yourself.

Let me make one comparison- think of a reputable financial advisor (a fiduciary) like a doctor. I don’t know what you do for a living, but I bet if you are approaching retirement you have done it for a long time and consider yourself an expert at it right? Same with a financial advisor- we are the experts... Insurance guys/annuity salesmen, Mutual Fund wholesalers... are unscrupulous salesmen who give our industry a bad name. People look at us like used car salesmen when they should look at us more-again- like doctors. If you were sick- some unidentified awful pain in your side- would you go to a Dr or pull up Web MD, self diagnose appendicitis and whip out the good ole swiss army knife to carve into your side yourself? I hope you’d go see a doctor! He can diagnose what is actually wrong with YOU, and (hopefully) prescribe a treatment or plan to get you healthy again! Right? Financial advisors do the same thing. You may not know your finances need some help, but I have done hundreds of plans in my time in the industry and never have I ever had one where we did not uncover at least 2-3 things we can point out rather quickly and easily fix to make a person’s situation better.

How did the tax code changes affect your investment decisions? They did not/Not sure? Guess who can help you with that? How about when those codes change again after this code sunsets in a couple years? What about when we get our next president and he changes them again? What about when the IRS funks around with IRA laws again? These things happen about every 3-5 years or more on average (3-5 times this year alone and we are only 6 months in!) and having someone to bounce questions off of when they do is a big help! “When should I take SSI? Can I retire early? How much can I afford to spend in retirement? Can I move to Florida?... Afford that boat/beach house/hot tub/college for grand kids...”? I have never met a client yet who had a defined process for answering those questions beyond a reasonable doubt. Planning helps us map all of that and more out for you, projected across your expected lifespan. No way to see the future, but if you don’t plan for it you will not be ready when it comes!

Again, just my PSA for why a good advisor has value and why I wish more people would take advantage of them. I have seen too many people make easy to fix mistakes because they didn’t want to plan or pay a fee for a professional to hell them. Many wealthy people will literally hire a landscaper/gardener and pay them hundreds a month/thousands a year to cut the GRASS but refuse to hire a financial advisor to help secure their financial future because he charges fees?? So your LAWN is worth more than your financial future? To most of us money is second to health (of ourselves and family obviously) in terms of what we need to live a ling happy life. More of us should be putting effort into managing it better and entrusting that job to an expert like we do with our health. This idea of “I am a smart guy, I can do this” is true, until it isn’t. From asset titling to managing risk and advising about not just asset allocation but asset location... Can not just save you money but protect your family’s legacy. Did you know improper asset titling is the NUMBER ONE destroyer of Family wealth in America? Think if it this way- do you have anyone in your family you would not trust with a large inheritance? A kid with a drug problem? A daughter who is getting a divorce? What if You drop dead, she inherits $1MM from you tomorrow, the divorce gets filed 6 months later and he gets HALF? Do you know how to prevent that? What about that grandkid who You want to leave money to FOR COLLEGE? Or for them to get in installments for the rest of their lives Instead of a lump sum? What if you want to do charitable giving? Do you know how to strategize that to be the most tax efficient distribution for you?

Think about those questions- I assume if anyone read this far you have read something that struck a nerve. If you are making any of the mistakes I laid out or cannot answer any of those titling questions I just asked- go find an advisor who can do planning for you. You will be surprised how much you can get out of it.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
Good! I am glad it has worked out well for you! I understand what you are saying, and I am not soliciting your business or making recommendations for you personally on a website, just speaking broadly in an attempt to help you and anyone else who might need a bit of help... (LONG, but take 5 minutes to read it. I am passionate about this as I have 15 years of experience watching folks make all of these mistakes, some ruining their retirements! )

Dave Ramsey is a great read/program for people who need to learn how to better manage their finances, I would caution against considering his advice for investing- he is very general and sort of rushed through that portion of things and while he can help people get out if debt and start on the right path to saving, to build wealth you need to own ASSETS, and understanding how to stop working for money and make your money work for you- this is the difference between people who “get bye” and rich people. I know DAVE is rich, but his advice is not for people ready to take the next step from saver to wealthy person. you would retire in June. Then THIS year happened and late March your portfolio is now down 40%. What do you say then? “I have time”? Or- “oh s&$t, what do I do now”? Obviously if you stayed in, it came back REAL FAST, right? If you sold... and are retired now, didn’t get back in... Sounds too BAD to be true? Wrong. Happened to hundreds of thousands of people (millions?) in 08! Happened just like that for way too many people this year too! That is a case where a person could have gotten fine advice from the perspective of someone giving it but for the person Doing the investing they got blind sided by too much risk and their emotions may have cost them a future of financial security... As my last boss put it- so often the biggest obstacle to your sustained financial
Success is yourself.

Let me make one comparison- think of a reputable financial advisor (a fiduciary) like a doctor. I don’t know what you do for a living, but I bet if you are approaching retirement you have done it for a long time and consider yourself an expert at it right? Same with a financial advisor- we are the experts... Insurance guys/annuity salesmen, Mutual Fund wholesalers... are unscrupulous salesmen who give our industry a bad name. People look at us like used car salesmen when they should look at us more-again- like doctors. If you were sick- some unidentified awful pain in your side- would you go to a Dr or pull up Web MD, self diagnose appendicitis and whip out the good ole swiss army knife to carve into your side yourself? I hope you’d go see a doctor! He can diagnose what is actually wrong with YOU, and (hopefully) prescribe a treatment or plan to get you healthy again! Right? Financial advisors do the same thing. You may not know your finances need some help, but I have done hundreds of plans in my time in the industry and never have I ever had one where we did not uncover at least 2-3 things we can point out rather quickly and easily fix to make a person’s situation better.

How did the tax code changes affect your investment decisions? They did not/Not sure? Guess who can help you with that? How about when those codes change again after this code sunsets in a couple years? What about when we get our next president and he changes them again? What about when the IRS funks around with IRA laws again? These things happen about every 3-5 years or more on average (3-5 times this year alone and we are only 6 months in!) and having someone to bounce questions off of when they do is a big help! “When should I take SSI? Can I retire early? How much can I afford to spend in retirement? Can I move to Florida?... Afford that boat/beach house/hot tub/college for grand kids...”? I have never met a client yet who had a defined process for answering those questions beyond a reasonable doubt. Planning helps us map all of that and more out for you, projected across your expected lifespan. No way to see the future, but if you don’t plan for it you will not be ready when it comes!

Again, just my PSA for why a good advisor has value and why I wish more people would take advantage of them. I have seen too many people make easy to fix mistakes because they didn’t want to plan or pay a fee for a professional to hell them. Many wealthy people will literally hire a landscaper/gardener and pay them hundreds a month/thousands a year to cut the GRASS but refuse to hire a financial advisor to help secure their financial future because he charges fees?? So your LAWN is worth more than your financial future? To most of us money is second to health (of ourselves and family obviously) in terms of what we need to live a ling happy life. More of us should be putting effort into managing it better and entrusting that job to an expert like we do with our health. This idea of “I am a smart guy, I can do this” is true, until it isn’t. From asset titling to managing risk and advising about not just asset allocation but asset location... Can not just save you money but protect your family’s legacy. Did you know improper asset titling is the NUMBER ONE destroyer of Family wealth in America? Think if it this way- do you have anyone in your family you would not trust with a large inheritance? A kid with a drug problem? A daughter who is getting a divorce? What if You drop dead, she inherits $1MM from you tomorrow, the divorce gets filed 6 months later and he gets HALF? Do you know how to prevent that? What about that grandkid who You want to leave money to FOR COLLEGE? Or for them to get in installments for the rest of their lives Instead of a lump sum? What if you want to do charitable giving? Do you know how to strategize that to be the most tax efficient distribution for you?

Think about those questions- I assume if anyone read this far you have read something that struck a nerve. If you are making any of the mistakes I laid out or cannot answer any of those titling questions I just asked- go find an advisor who can do planning for you. You will be surprised how much you can get out of it.

Good info.

Bernie asked that question at the Senate briefing yesterday and was told by the WH Covid19 team that the vaccine when developed will be free to all Americans. With all the money we're pouring into drug companies research to develop a vaccine it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT