ADVERTISEMENT

The qb sneak...

NooNoo

Jan 27, 2002
...why don’t we do it? Watched it work repeatedly all day just about 100% of the time. We struggle on short yardage. Why not?

Garcia and Shaw understood how to do it.... Bentley does not have the knack for it imo. He does not look comfortable doing it, possibly bc the oline has trouble creating push. The coaches don't call it or have zero confidence in it.

The qb keeper helped extend that 97 yard TD drive in the second half against UT. We did it twice in fact.

Garcia and Shaw understood how to do it.... Bentley does not have the knack for it imo. He does not look comfortable doing it, possibly bc the oline has trouble creating push. The coaches don't call it or have zero confidence in it.

You do it precisely bc the o line can’t get push. I can’t remember doing it since will has been the coach. Maybe I missed it.

I disagree about Garcia and Shaw. In 2009 we could nothing on the goal line and short yardage. That was the year of the infamous 3 straight fade patterns to Alshon from the 1 yard line against Bama. The next year, with Lattimore in the backfield, we got MUCH better. I really don't know how much Garcia how to do with it. Shaw spent his whole career with Lattimore, Wilds and Davis in the backfield; all big, physical runners. Shaw, of course, brought the threat of keeping the ball and turning the corner with his speed. However, I don't remember him sneaking the ball a lot.

I agree with you about Bentley. He's neither big nor fast enough to make much of a difference in short yardage against SEC competition. Hence why I say we need to put Hurst in their in short yardage situations.

Reactions: rogue cock
The qb keeper helped extend that 97 yard TD drive in the second half against UT. We did it twice in fact.

Yes, but where on the field did those carries occur and what was the down and distance? Both plays occurred on our side of the field. Jake can stretch a defense, which opens up the run game. However, in goal line and redzone situations, the field shrinks and Jake isn't as effective as a runner because the defense has 11 players at or near the line of scrimmage.

I disagree about Garcia and Shaw. In 2009 we could nothing on the goal line and short yardage. That was the year of the infamous 3 straight fade patterns to Alshon from the 1 yard line against Bama. The next year, with Lattimore in the backfield, we got MUCH better. I really don't know how much Garcia how to do with it. Shaw spent his whole career with Lattimore, Wilds and Davis in the backfield; all big, physical runners. Shaw, of course, brought the threat of keeping the ball and turning the corner with his speed. However, I don't remember him sneaking the ball a lot.

I agree with you about Bentley. He's neither big nor fast enough to make much of a difference in short yardage against SEC competition. Hence why I say we need to put Hurst in their (sic) in short yardage situations.
hence...

in there

go cocks!

I’m talking 3rd or 4th and 1 or less. Not talking called qb powers or draws on 2nd and 7. Qb sneak is simple, effective, and low risk. Seems like a no brainer but alas.....

hence...

in there

go cocks!

From now on I'm going to use homonyms interchangeable to give you a reason to exist. Pay attention.
I’m talking 3rd or 4th and 1 or less. Not talking called qb powers or draws on 2nd and 7. Qb sneak is simple, effective, and low risk. Seems like a no brainer but alas.....

It's not low risk for us since Jake is never under center. The center/quarterback exchange is not a given. And part of the reason the sneak is successful is the defense has to at least account for a potential outside run. Again, that's not something we do from under center. Under Spurrier a sneak made more since sense our qb were under center more; however, I remember Perry Orth getting stuffed against UNC on 4th down a few years back in a critical situation. Without a dominating O line or a big, physical quarterback it would be difficult to get sufficient push against Dexter Lawrence and Christian Wilkins to get an inch, much less a yard.

But I agree with you we've got to find ways to be better in short yardage. With an open date hopefully they worked on some wrinkles, maybe even a quarterback sneak. It's worth a try.

Those runs were to the outside... and they did break open the running game as TN had to respect the run from Bentley... or at least they felt like they had to and backed off a bit. Either that or the OL just really started blocking well or something.

Have you not paid attention to how poorly our center has run blocked this season? The QB sneak requires push from the OLine, so no thanks. I'd rather not risk injury to Bentley with no proven backup. The QB sneak may 'look' like a simple play but it sets the QB up to get drilled by a NT/DT if a block is missed.

Kansas State does the qb sneak better than anyone I have seen... was watching them against Oklahoma last night. They ran it several times. Their formation for it was the best i have seen.

Kansas State does the qb sneak better than anyone I have seen... was watching them against Oklahoma last night. They ran it several times. Their formation for it was the best i have seen.

K State runs their quarterback A TON. Their starting quarterback is the team's 2nd leading rusher and the backup quarterback is their 3rd leading rusher.

K State runs their quarterback A TON. Their starting quarterback is the team's 2nd leading rusher and the backup quarterback is their 3rd leading rusher.
Key word backup. We have mighty big questions behind Bentley. Too lazy to confirm but I'll be those K-St. qbs are a lot more physical than ours. Bigger, stronger.

Reactions: DarkCock
Key word backup. We have mighty big questions behind Bentley. Too lazy to confirm but I'll be those K-St. qbs are a lot more physical than ours. Bigger, stronger.

I agree. Bentley is not very big. And I don't care what his listed size and weight are because I see him at nearly every volleyball game. I know what my eyes see. But he can throw the ball and he has playing experience, so we can't afford to lose him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT