ADVERTISEMENT

"The single, not so important thing, I miss most because of Covid"

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
For me, finding little things I need being not in stock or short supply is frustrating. Things like a spray wand for my power washer, some cleaner for my water feature in the backyard, etc. I can work around the situation, but it seems to be extending out from the grocery shelves.

My wife is a first class germaphobe so she was absolutely ecstatic when she found Clorox wipes the other day. She did a twice a week wipe down of our kitchen and bathrooms for years so the lack of those has just driven her nuts.

For me it has been getting a cheapish bike. Why doesn’t Walmart have bikes?

My wife is a first class germaphobe so she was absolutely ecstatic when she found Clorox wipes the other day. She did a twice a week wipe down of our kitchen and bathrooms for years so the lack of those has just driven her nuts.

For me it has been getting a cheapish bike. Why doesn’t Walmart have bikes?
The bike market has been hit hard by the virus. Look on CL anyway. The prices might be higher than normal, but I would not suggest anyone buy a 'department store' bike. Let me know if you have questions about bikes. I have bought a lot of bikes on CL.

Reactions: Gaimcock
The bike market has been hit hard by the virus. Look on CL anyway. The prices might be higher than normal, but I would not suggest anyone buy a 'department store' bike. Let me know if you have questions about bikes. I have bought a lot of bikes on CL.
Is it just a demand thing with more outdoor activities or trouble getting them into the US?

I don’t need anything fancy. Just looking for something relatively comfortable to ride about 5 miles on paved paths. A few hills but nothing major. I’ve never been a big CL guy. My wife is absolutely opposed to anything that has entered someone else’s home. The things her germaphobe fear has her decide people do with things is pretty outrageous.

Is it just a demand thing with more outdoor activities or trouble getting them into the US?

I don’t need anything fancy. Just looking for something relatively comfortable to ride about 5 miles on paved paths. A few hills but nothing major. I’ve never been a big CL guy. My wife is absolutely opposed to anything that has entered someone else’s home. The things her germaphobe fear has her decide people do with things is pretty outrageous.
I think it is related to the supply chain - and a little bit because of the increased demand.

I've never really had bad experiences with CL. Facebook Marketplace, at least, allows you to see who you're dealing with beforehand.

A bike can be cleaned, and I always get new bar tape. Some bikes have been hardly used, but I understand the germ thing during the pandemic.

Just figure out what size bike you need. A road bike may be unnecessary, but a hybrid or old mountain bike would be comfortable. You can figure out your size online. It's usually a rough estimate based on your height and inseam. You can always sell used bikes for the same price if you end up not liking it.

Make sure the tubes and tires are in good shape. No rust either.

Tell me about it...back in May my wife wanted a bike. I end up buying a Trek bike because it was the only one I could find in Greenville. Wasn't prepared to buy a $550 bike.

Tell me about it...back in May my wife wanted a bike. I end up buying a Trek bike because it was the only one I could find in Greenville. Wasn't prepared to buy a $550 bike.
I try to support local bike shops, but people too often think they need to buy a new entry-level bike. A bike is pretty damn simple. The whole industry is weird. For some reason, people have to get new bikes even if the intended use does not match the price tag.. I have steel bikes from the late 80s.

I won't be able to bet on parlay cards this year. My friend that does them said he's going to skip them this season due to all that"s going on.

For me, finding little things I need being not in stock or short supply is frustrating. Things like a spray wand for my power washer, some cleaner for my water feature in the backyard, etc. I can work around the situation, but it seems to be extending out from the grocery shelves.
I sold a kayak for $1K and I can't find a suitable replacement because they're all out of stock. Companies are selling them 2 or 2 at a time on Amazon.

...I would not suggest anyone buy a 'department store' bike.

Sheer ignorance to do such if ya've EVER previously made such a mistake back when you were still in elementary school (i.e. that's middle school for all you pre 1990+/- high school grads!!!) and cut the neighbors grass just to make a lil' extra spending money back during your summer breaks; blissfulness if you're now fully or semi-retired and decide to get into bike riding simply to give your native northern ass something to do during our typical warm Southern seasons of Spring, Summer and Fall, as-well-as our, in your opinion, very mild winters!!! :cool:;)

A friend of mine bought a trek bike for himself and one for his girlfriend. Then upgraded the seats on both. He’s in this for about $1600. They’re in their late 50’s and only ride when they go camping. Made me wanna ask him if there was nothing better he could drop that kinda money on. I dang sure could have spent it better, but to each his own I reckon. I got my current bicycle after my Daddy passed away. He bought it for $25 at yard sale, and rode it a lot as he was recovering from triple bypass surgery. It rides like a champ, and is the last one I’ll ever own. It’ll be passed down to my kids someday.

I don't know if you've found a bike yet or not but if not, try bikesdirect.com. They sell good quality bikes that could be considered "knockoffs" of some of the more expensive bikes for a lot less. About 8 years ago I bought a Motobecane 550 mountain bike that was supposedly a copy of some really expensive bike, (I can't remember what bike it was), for about $350 if I'm remembering correctly. I have been 100% satisfied with it. They will ship it to you partially assembled and you have to finish the assembly. It"s not much, just put wheels on etc. Again, I was totally pleased with the service and the product. To me it was a way to get a professional quality bike for not much more than what you'd pay for a department store bike.

Last edited:
Reasonable ammo prices. Gunbroker has been ridiculous since this started. It's been awhile since I've won a auction.
A key difference this time from some of the previous runs is that I've been able to find plenty of rimfire ammo this time around in most of the brick and mortar stores. I've also been able to find most hunting rounds. But 9mm, .45acp, and .223? Forget about it. It's also just about impossible to find pistol primers and most of the popular powders for semi-auto rounds.

A key difference this time from some of the previous runs is that I've been able to find plenty of rimfire ammo this time around in most of the brick and mortar stores. I've also been able to find most hunting rounds. But 9mm, .45acp, and .223? Forget about it. It's also just about impossible to find pistol primers and most of the popular powders for semi-auto rounds.
I've signed up to be notified from the big stores when they get what I want. Gunbroker has what I want, but everything is ridiculously high right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT