ADVERTISEMENT

The Sixers should interview Dawn Staley for head coach | Marcus Hayes

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
I heard about this Thursday night about the 76ers and Dawn Staley...

The most intriguing candidate for the vacant Sixers head-coaching job?
That’s obvious. A charismatic college coach with deep local ties. One who understands the challenges of coaching in a rabid Northeast sports city. One who was coach of the year. Won a national championship.

Last year, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said that “there’s no reason why women shouldn’t be coaching men’s basketball” and that, eventually, he wanted half the league’s 30 head coaches to be women.

Staley texted me Wednesday and indicated she’d rather be in the stands than on the bench: “As much as I love my Sixers, I’d much rather experience the highs and lows as a fan. ... Fans will experience running down Broad Street, like we did in ’83, in the future.”
That’s understandable. It’s understandable, too, that the Sixers situation — high expectations; petulant veteran, unstable leadership — might not be the best environment for success for Staley, or a similar female coach with her profile. Nevertheless, the Sixers should at least call. It’s how relationships are built and how future candidacies are fostered.
Sixers general manager Elton Brand declined to comment on the search, which is expected to take several weeks, but a league source said the team will consider at least one woman for the position. There are several from whom to choose: Spurs assistant Becky Hammon, Mavericks assistant Jenny Boucek, Clippers assistant Natalie Nakase, Cavaliers assistant Lindsay Gottlieb. I like Staley.

Gamecocks, criticizing Dawn Staley and Steve Spurrier.

Given our mediocrity over time, sounds about right. Ghee whiz......
I'm not being overly critical of Spurrier. However, we got no hardware under Spurrier despite all the wins. Staley has won so many SEC championships that I have lost count. Some people are letting politics cloud reality.

I'm not being overly critical of Spurrier. However, we got no hardware under Spurrier despite all the wins. Staley has won so many SEC championships that I have lost count. Some people are letting politics cloud reality.
I think Spurrier bumped up against the SEC ceiling for us in football, so I guess he did about as well as I think we can do with our mindset here in men's sports. Dawn was a terrific hire. I hope she does not leave, but I must say it would be interesting having a woman head coach somewhere.

That's funny. Spurrier couldn't even get us in a BCS Bowl one time. Further, Spurrier was a master at losing at least one game that he shouldn't every year.

So what Gino Auriellama accomplished at UCONN is a better than what Coach K accomplished at Duke? How much tougher is it to get the 5 best high school girls basketball players to play at your powerhouse woman's college program than it is to get the 5 best high school boys basketball players to play at your powerhouse men's college program? LeBron and Koby would have played for Gino. Comparing coaches of different sports and different genders is major Apples and Oranges. Glad to talk sports with you comrade!

Reactions: Brace1
Steve Spurrier.
You can't go by what he done at Florida and Duke. When judging him at South Carolina. Ray and Dawn are by far the most successful coaches we've ever had. Ray has the edge on National Championships. If Dawn wins one more, without any doubt she'll be the most successful Coach in the School's history. In our history we've never had a Coach who could dominate a Conference like she has.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClowneyPosse
You asked me to name a better coach in any sport did you not? Name me a worse athletic director that's been employed by the university of South Carolina?

King Dixon, R.I.P. Great gamecock player & a Marine officer. Disastrous hire as an A.D.

You can't go by what he done at Florida and Duke. When judging him at South Carolina. Ray and Dawn are by far the most successful coaches we've ever had. Ray has the edge on National Championships. If Dawn wins one more, without any doubt she'll be the most successful Coach in the School's history. In our history we've never had a Coach who could dominate a Conference.

Please see my post just above yours.

Reactions: Legit06
Paul Dietzel.

Won our only conference championship, but...overall...did a better job as an A.D. than football coach, imo. He could really raise money & did the most, at that point, to “modernize” facilities. Pestered Bobby Richardson into taking the baseball coaching position (always figured he wanted Carolina to really take baseball seriously so a goodly number of his football players wouldn’t miss Spring Practice ‘cause they were filling out the baseball roster).

So Uva is saying she would talk.

You asked me to name a better coach in any sport did you not? Name me a worse athletic director that's been employed by the university of South Carolina?

Jim Carlen. Much better as a football coach than A.D., imo. Honestly, the administration made a big mistake in capitulating to both Dietzel & Carlen by including the A.D. position to lure them as football coaches. Some other schools had done it, but just not smart. That’s not “hindsight”, either...esp. after Dietzel. I was in my teens when Dietzel resigned & Carlen was being “wooed”. Lots of supporters said; “Don’t do it...don’t tie the two again”. Should have learned the lesson!!

It’s great to be considered and she probably do a great Job. But I’m hoping to never see Staley, nor any woman coaching NBA Basketball. The OP said that Adam Silver wanted half the coaches in the league to be women; and that’s something the Black community does not need to see. Seventy six percent of Black children grow up without their fathers, and some coaches have been able to fulfill that void for many young men “Black and White.” I’m not against equality for women but I believe men should lead men and it takes a man to teach a boys to become men!

Won our only conference championship, but...overall...did a better job as an A.D. than football coach, imo. He could really raise money & did the most, at that point, to “modernize” facilities. Pestered Bobby Richardson into taking the baseball coaching position (always figured he wanted Carolina to really take baseball seriously so a goodly number of his football players wouldn’t miss Spring Practice ‘cause they were filling out the baseball roster).
Dietzel got us out of the ACC, which, IMO, negates all of the above.

She has made it well known she doesn't like many of the opinions of USC fans. Go to Philly and fail with that joke of an organization please. I have grown tired of Dawn

Yeah, I'm not willing to support someone who throws our law enforcement under the bus constantly just to get women's basketball championships, or any championship. Their job is far more important than any athlete or coach's job. Very disappointed in her lack of objectivity.

She has made it well known she doesn't like many of the opinions of USC fans. Go to Philly and fail with that joke of an organization please. I have grown tired of Dawn
I think it's the other way around...in any event why does everyone get butt-hurt when a sports figure has an political opinion. I hope Dawn stays here forever. Winning titles never get boring...just ask Clemson fans.

It’s great to be considered and she probably do a great Job. But I’m hoping to never see Staley, nor any woman coaching NBA Basketball. The OP said that Adam Silver wanted half the coaches in the league to be women; and that’s something the Black community does not need to see. Seventy six percent of Black children grow up without their fathers, and some coaches have been able to fulfill that void for many young men “Black and White.” I’m not against equality for women but I believe men should lead men and it takes a man to teach a boys to become men!
It's basketball not life. If Dawn Staley is one of the top 30 coaches out there and wants a shot at the NBA, then she should get a shot. If men want to lead men, specifically if Black men want to lead Black men, we need to step up and take our position. We don't deserve a title of leadership just because we are men. On the other side of the coin, does it bother you to see white men leading women? This happens all the time on the collegiate level and no one has anything to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: atl-cock
Yeah, I'm not willing to support someone who throws our law enforcement under the bus constantly just to get women's basketball championships, or any championship. Their job is far more important than any athlete or coach's job. Very disappointed in her lack of objectivity.
You obviously don't know Dawn Staley, asking for our law enforcement to be better is not throwing them under the bus. Not to mention she has openly supported the Richland PD and was even celebrated as an honorary deputy by them.

You obviously don't know Dawn Staley, asking for our law enforcement to be better is not throwing them under the bus. Not to mention she has openly supported the Richland PD and was even celebrated as an honorary deputy by them.

I do know she had been far from objective. I've heard a good bit from her about this, and puts it ALL on the police and racism. Maybe I missed her "don't act like fool with the cops" speech and maybe she has said something related, but it surely hasn't been even a small fraction of her response to this, and it absolutely should be a BIG part of this discussion.

I don't care about her honorary photo-op with deputies. And she has stated that she wants to march with BLM this week, and they open push defunding the police.

If that ain't throwing someone under the bus, I don't know what is.

It's basketball not life. If Dawn Staley is one of the top 30 coaches out there and wants a shot at the NBA, then she should get a shot. If men want to lead men, specifically if Black men want to lead Black men, we need to step up and take our position. We don't deserve a title of leadership just because we are men. On the other side of the coin, does it bother you to see white men leading women? This happens all the time on the collegiate level and no one has anything to say.
Sports is life and if you don’t realize that than you’ve never played organized Sports. My dad passed away when I was 8 years old, and my mom had to raise 4 boys alone and sports helped mold each one of us. I learned so much from my coaches, especially lessons in football which I have used in every facet of my life! I’m sure there’s guys on here who could tell you the “same thing, that sports left a big imprint on their lives. I had friends who had no structure, no support at home, whose lives have been outstanding through “adulthood, because of a coach’s impact! And they still talk about those coaches till this day, so don’t tell me it’s just Basketball. Now as far as men leading women on the Basketball court, I’ve never liked it but I’ve come to accept it. Just like I would accept a woman coaching a men’s team, but that doesn’t mean I would agree with it or celebrate it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT