ADVERTISEMENT

The Sixers should interview Dawn Staley for head coach | Marcus Hayes

Sports is life and if you don’t realize that than you’ve never played organized Sports. My dad passed away when I was 8 years old, and my mom had to raise 4 boys alone and sports helped mold each one of us. I learned so much from my coaches, especially lessons in football which I have used in every facet of my life! I’m sure there’s guys on here who could tell you the “same thing, that sports left a big imprint on their lives. I had friends who had no structure, no support at home, whose lives have been outstanding through “adulthood, because of a coach’s impact! And they still talk about those coaches till this day, so don’t tell me it’s just Basketball. Now as far as men leading women on the Basketball court, I’ve never liked it but I’ve come to accept it. Just like I would accept a woman coaching a men’s team, but that doesn’t mean I would agree with it or celebrate it.
Sports can be life. However, by the time a player gets to the NBA, he does not need a Black man to hold his hand. By that time, someone, good or bad is already there to mold that young man into what he is going to become. The last thing a player needs is a professional coach with limited job security trying to be his parent. Come to think of it, I don't know why Staley would even consider professional coaching with the good thing she has going here. Winning big with supreme job security. She has this job for as long as she wants it.

Sports can be life. However, by the time a player gets to the NBA, he does not need a Black man to hold his hand. By that time, someone, good or bad is already there to mold that young man into what he is going to become. The last thing a player needs is a professional coach with limited job security trying to be his parent. Come to think of it, I don't know why Staley would even consider professional coaching with the good thing she has going here. Winning big with supreme job security. She has this job for as long as she wants it.
Most of the players that make it to the NBA today are 20 years old max. Most of those guys are not spending more than 2 years in college. And yes they do need role models when they’re in the league, many of those guys have no clue about life and how to handle all their money. Many of those guys are dating instagram models, getting them pregnant and ending up in a financial mess! Almost 90 percent of them end up broke 2-4 years after leaving the league, because they were boys going in. But it’s that “1-2 out of every 20, that listens and applies it, and use it for a bright future. I agree with you though about coach Staley, she has everything she needs here!

Last edited:
Most of the players that make it to the NBA today are 20 years old max. Most of those guys are not spending more than 2 years in college. And yes they do need role models when they’re in the league, many of those guys have no clue about life and how to handle all their money. Many of those guys are dating instagram models, getting them pregnant and ending up in a financial mess! Almost 90 percent of them end up broke 2-4 years after leaving the league, because they were boys going in. But it that 1-2 out of every 20 that listens and applies it, and use it for a bright future. I agree with you though about coach Staley, she has everything she needs here!
Their role models are many times going to be another player, an AAU coach, or family member. I had my father. However, not having a father should never be an excuse for not succeeding in life. Most psychological studies show that most of what a child is going to become is already ingrained by fourth grade. So, I see no need whatsoever to hold a woman back just to protect some notion of Black male role models. No one supports black males more than me. However, we can't attack systemic racism with another form of oppression.

Last edited:
Their role models are many times going to be another player, an AAU coach, or family member. I had my father. However, not having a father should never be an excuse for not succeeding in life. Most psychological studies show that most of what a child is going to become is already ingrained by fourth grade. So, I see no need whatsoever to hold a woman back just to protect some notion of Black male role models. No one supports black males more than me. However, we can't attack systemic racism with another form of oppression.
So at 9-10 years old you saying a child’s future is pretty much determined? That’s crazy talk dude, and I know sometimes friends help lead each other, but a father can’t be replaced! And a lot of those AAU coaches are opportunist just taking advantage of those kids.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I know a lot of folks are already disenfranchised with the results of our men's programs. They're operating at an 80% loss at the ticket office in addition to losing the out of conference home games.

The most South Carolina thing you'll hear all year would be running Dawn off over the black lives matter movement.

As a matter of fact, if she left; I'd consider shuttering the program for the short term until such time as the Athletic Department was more solvent. Olivia Thompson might well be the only player left by the time the players transfer out of the program. We wouldn't be able to replace Dawn with an equally well adapted coach. So, why not shutter the program? The nuclear option..

It might be a better mitigation strategy to blame the transition on covid rather than something much more vile and repugnant: racism. Let us all hope we don't muck around and find out.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I know a lot of folks are already disenfranchised with the results of our men's programs. They're operating at an 80% loss at the ticket office in addition to losing the out of conference home games.

The most South Carolina thing you'll hear all year would be running Dawn off over the black lives matter movement.

As a matter of fact, if she left; I'd consider shuttering the program for the short term until such time as the Athletic Department was more solvent. Olivia Thompson might well be the only player left by the time the players transfer out of the program. We wouldn't be able to replace Dawn with an equally well adapted coach. So, why not shutter the program? The nuclear option..

It might be a better mitigation strategy to blame the transition on covid rather than something much more vile and repugnant: racism. Let us all hope we don't muck around and find out.

Why would Olivia Thompson be the only one left?

Girl from right across the river in Lexington that grew up dreaming of playing here. Walked on to fulfill that dream instead of playing at smaller schools.

I'd imagine that she would be more likely to stick around, no?

Sure, but 10+ players aren't going to transfer if Dawn were run off...which is never going to happen. Like adcoop said earlier, Dawn will be at USC as long as she wants.

Sure, but 10+ players aren't going to transfer if Dawn were run off...which is never going to happen. Like adcoop said earlier, Dawn will be at USC as long as she wants.

Oh no, I agree. The scenario is remote. I just dont think we would see a lot of retention on her roster if she left the university. There are already so many transfers in college basketball. I dont think a lot of the players from outside the area would stick around if Dawn left. And I'm not saying it would all turnover at once. Some might leave a year later.

It’s great to be considered and she probably do a great Job. But I’m hoping to never see Staley, nor any woman coaching NBA Basketball. The OP said that Adam Silver wanted half the coaches in the league to be women; and that’s something the Black community does not need to see. Seventy six percent of Black children grow up without their fathers, and some coaches have been able to fulfill that void for many young men “Black and White.” I’m not against equality for women but I believe men should lead men and it takes a man to teach a boys to become men!
You really need to educate yourself and stop repeating falsehoods about communities you don't understand. The statistic you quoted is completely made up and not true at all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brace1
If the opportunity were presented to her (which is highly unlikely), it could factor into her decision that no matter what her team accomplishes, it will still pale in popularity to the 4-8 football team.

You really need to educate yourself and stop repeating falsehoods about communities you don't understand. The statistic you quoted is completely made up and not true at all.

lol 😂 What you mean a community I don’t understand? I’m a 53 year old Black man whose been a youth pastor at 3 different Black Churches and an associate pastor at one. I’ve also been a music minister and served as a Christian counselor at Mount Hebron Baptist. So I know a pretty good bit about the Black community, and I’m highly qualified to talk about it!

lol 😂 What you mean a community I don’t understand? I’m a 53 year old Black man whose been a youth pastor at 3 different Black Churches and an associate pastor at one. I’ve also been a music minister and served as a Christian counselor at Mount Hebron Baptist. So I know a pretty good bit about the Black community, and I’m highly qualified to talk about it!
Clearly you don't if you are part of the problem spitting incorrect facts about your own people. How about you address that and not your credentials of being a black man?

I'm also a black man, so by your definition I am equally as qualified to talk about the black community. One of us however uses facts, the other is using made up nonsense with no basis in reality. Your "anecdotal evidence" doesn't mean anything. Just as valuable as someone saying they experienced racism from 3 white people, therefore all white people are racist.

Last edited:
Clearly you don't if you are part of the problem spitting incorrect facts about your own people. How about you address that and not your credentials of being a black man?
I’m not spitting incorrect facts “what I said is true, over 75 percent of Black children grow up without their fathers in the home. There are housing projects in this country, with nothing but Black women and children living in them! I know there’s Black men out here, involved with their children even though there not with the child’s mother. Still that doesn’t equate to children growing up with a father figure at home, and those articles you posted is watered down garbage! I guarantee you over 70 percent of our Black players grew up without their fathers in the home.

I’m not spitting incorrect facts “what I said is true, over 75 percent of Black children grow up without their fathers in the home. There are housing projects in this country, with nothing but Black women and children living in them! I know there’s Black men out here, involved with their children even though there not with the child’s mother. Still that doesn’t equate to children growing up with a father figure at home, and those articles you posted is watered down garbage! I guarantee you over 70 percent of our Black players grew up without their fathers in the home.
Once again, A made up statistic that you should be ashamed that you keep repeating.

No you just don’t wanna hear the truth.
Right, everyone can see that you provide no research or any source period for your "truth". They may not speak up because a lot of people already want to believe what you are spitting out. Surely a 53 year old man knows how to do research right?

Right, everyone can see that you provide no research or any source period for your "truth". They may not speak up because a lot of people already want to believe what you are spitting out. Surely a 53 year old man knows how to do research right?
I don’t need to research something that I know about and “lived through. It’s election time right now and the liberal media has suppressed the truth about what’s going on in the Black community. And google is liberal too, so they’re gonna suppress as much of the truth as they can. Your articles say that 70 percent of fatherless Black homes is a myth and most Black kids grow up with their fathers, and that is a point blank lie! You would be amazed at how many children I’ve counseled that had absent fathers, and how many Black mothers I’ve had to talk to about the missing fathers. It’s not just in the Black community it’s happening with Whites too and Hispanics.

Reactions: Goose cock
Must be your white privilege coming out, Brace!

So you have nothing but your biased anecdotal tales? That's what I thought.
Lol 😂 I can say the same thing about the trash you posted from that liberal rag the Washington post. That’s why I didn’t wanna site any sources because I knew you would shut it down. This conversation is over!

Lol 😂 I can say the same thing about the trash you posted from that liberal rag the Washington post. That’s why I didn’t wanna site any sources because I knew you would shut it down. This conversation is over!
Yeah, its over because you say it is. I gave you 4 sources, I could find plenty more. You chose to attack one, yet post no sources of your own. Good job.

• Haha
My mistake; Dietzel hired Richardson , not McGuire

Right. Sol Blatt - for all practical purposes - hired McGuire.

In my mind, all the good which Dietzel did regarding facilities upgrades (and please note that Carolina Coliseum was not one of his) is negated by his getting us out of the ACC.
Huge mistake

The way I look at it, should Dawn leave for the 76ers today, we would have every great coach behind Dawn knocking down our door knowing the players we have on the team and we wouldn't miss a beat... But with that said, we're screwed with Tanner as our AD... We can count on him to hire another Muschamp type coach for Women basketball..

Would you say it’s not as big of an issue as it’s being purported?
What I'm addressing is that he completely made up a number and no one checked him on that. Why? Because its a myth that certain people want to believe already. Think about it, less than a quarter of black men have involved fathers? He even said "I don't need to research..." another indicator that he made it up. Its lazy and irresponsible. He goes on to say that the same problem exists in white and hispanic households, so then why are you using it to single out black men then?

If someone wants to discuss marriage rates in the black community, there's a discussion that can be had there because that's an issue depending on your personal viewpoint of the institution of marriage. He could have simply said that its a problem in his local neighborhoods based on his experience and left it at that instead of making up numbers to bolster anecdotes.

I don’t need to research something that I know about and “lived through. It’s election time right now and the liberal media has suppressed the truth about what’s going on in the Black community. And google is liberal too, so they’re gonna suppress as much of the truth as they can. Your articles say that 70 percent of fatherless Black homes is a myth and most Black kids grow up with their fathers, and that is a point blank lie! You would be amazed at how many children I’ve counseled that had absent fathers, and how many Black mothers I’ve had to talk to about the missing fathers. It’s not just in the Black community it’s happening with Whites too and Hispanics.

great video...very informative

What I'm addressing is that he completely made up a number and no one checked him on that. Why? Because its a myth that certain people want to believe already. Think about it, less than a quarter of black men have involved fathers? He even said "I don't need to research..." another indicator that he made it up. Its lazy and irresponsible. He goes on to say that the same problem exists in white and hispanic households, so then why are you using it to single out black men then?

If someone wants to discuss marriage rates in the black community, there's a discussion that can be had there because that's an issue depending on your personal viewpoint of the institution of marriage. He could have simply said that its a problem in his local neighborhoods based on his experience and left it at that instead of making up numbers to bolster anecdotes.
Wrong! I didn’t say only a quarter of Black man have fathers in their lives. I said only a quarter of Black children grow up with fathers in the home. You don’t like the number I posted but it’s true, and if you can give me proof outside of articles written by “Liberal Black newspapers” Out of Chicago then I will back you up and say I’m wrong. And yes fatherless homes are impacting White and Hispanic communities also, but I talked about the Black community because we’re talking about Dawn Staley and it correlates with what I’m talking about! I linked a very strong “video” that you shot down because you don’t wanna here from a strong conservative Black man, but that’s okay because I have another one for you to see. And this comes from liberal (CNN) and it was recorded 7 years ago, even back then it was 72 percent. Etan Thomas and Amar’e Stoudemire speaks in this one.

Wrong! I didn’t say only a quarter of Black man have fathers in their lives. I said only a quarter of Black children grow up with fathers in the home. You don’t like the number I posted but it’s true, and if you can give me proof outside of articles written by “Liberal Black newspapers” Out of Chicago then I will back you up and say I’m wrong. And yes fatherless homes are impacting White and Hispanic communities also, but I talked about the Black community because we’re talking about Dawn Staley and it correlates with what I’m talking about! I linked a very strong “video” that you shot down because you don’t wanna here from a strong conservative Black man, but that’s okay because I have another one for you to see. And this comes from liberal (CNN) and it was recorded 7 years ago, even back then it was 72 percent. Etan Thomas and Amar’e Stoudemire speaks in this one.
I have been looking at this little argument. Well, I will respond as a Black man of liberal persuasion. I won't call myself a strong black man because people are usually not that strong when they have to throw adjectives upon themselves like that. As I said earlier, I grew up with my father. However, my father was an educator in the segregated schools of the 60's. He taught math to Black men who are now judges in this state. He taught Math to the first Black astronaut in this country. In his living room, he has a picture of that astronaut playing a Clarinet while being on one his missions before he tragically died. He would always say that the purpose of the picture being displayed is that nothing is an excuse. He would always say that they had no money, they had no resources, but they had a mind and they had dignity. With those two things, anything is possible. What I see with both political parties is that they are good at identifying symptoms without having any solutions to the problems. Depending on the political affiliation, the excuses are endless. If you are liberal, it's systemic racism in education, law enforcement, etc. If you are conservative, it is the lack of father's in the home. However, you never hear any real solutions to those issues. If there is systemic racism, how are we going to attack it specifically. If it is a lack of father's in the home, how do we keep father's in the home. I have done it all in the Black community. I have led a Branch of a local NAACP. I have been a Deacon in a church before I became disillusioned with the Black church. I have even led pastor search committees for churches. You know what I see? I see the Black church participating in the oppression of the Black community as much than any racist group or person. The Black church is usually led by a look at me pastor who is great at telling his/her predominantly female congregation what's wrong with the Black community or with Black men. However, they usually don't have any solutions to uplift Black men and I am not to sure they want many Black men in the church anyway. Too much competition if you know what I mean. I rarely see churches meeting Black men where they are in an effort to reach them. Everything has to be steeped in religion which many men don't want to here right away if they have been away from the church for awhile. So, just take a look at some of the things young Black men are interested in. They are usually interested in Basketball. So, why aren't churches using that more to keep our men out of the streets instead of focusing on the tired Wednesday Bible study all the time. Why not have a basketball tournament and make a Bible verse a theme. When young Black kids see that you are Christian, but live a real life with other interests they tend to have a more receptive response. Young Black males like Madden. Have a Madden tournament to bring our young Black males together. Stop being so old and acting like fun is beneath you just because you are a Christian now. So, with that backdrop, the Black community is one with issues. However, another big problem is nobody focuses on the successes. The Black kid that gets a perfect score on his SAT's gets 30 seconds of coverage while Black criminality gets an hour long show with people talking about it all the time. The Black father that works everyday, pays his bills, and raises his kids is boring. No movies are going to be made about him. However, many of the Black movies you see are based in the hood. So, who can blame white people if that is all they know about the Black community. To America, much of the Black community is anonymous because we don't fit the stereotypes. Our political parties focus on this stereotypes to enable the problems continuing. I wish a politician would just come out and tell the truth which is the Black Community is just like any other community. They will do better when they decide to. When they decide to support each other. When they decide to support their businesses and institutions. When they stop looking for White validation to do something or support something (for example, many Black people didn't even support President Obama until they saw white people in Iowa validate it).

Last edited:
I have been looking at this little argument. Well, I will respond as a Black man of liberal persuasion. I won't call myself a strong black man because people are usually not that strong when they have to throw adjectives upon themselves like that. As I said earlier, I grew up with my father. However, my father was an educator in the segregated schools of the 60's. He taught math to Black men who are now judges in this state. He taught Math to the first Black astronaut in this country. In his living room, he has a picture of that astronaut playing a Clarinet while being on one his missions before he tragically died. He would always say that the purpose of the picture being displayed is that nothing is an excuse. He would always say that they had no money, they had no resources, but they had a mind and they had dignity. With those two things, anything is possible. What I see with both political parties is that they are good at identifying symptoms without having any solutions to the problems. Depending on the political affiliation, the excuses are endless. If you are liberal, it's systemic racism in education, law enforcement, etc. If you are conservative, it is the lack of father's in the home. However, you never hear any real solutions to those issues. If there is systemic racism, how are we going to attack it specifically. If it is a lack of father's in the home, how do we keep father's in the home. I have done it all in the Black community. I have led a Branch of a local NAACP. I have been a Deacon in a church before I became disillusioned with the Black church. I have even led pastor search committees for churches. You know what I see? I see the Black church participating in the oppression of the Black community as much than any racist group or person. The Black church is usually led by a look at me pastor who is great at telling his/her predominantly female congregation what's wrong with the Black community or with Black men. However, they usually don't have any solutions to uplift Black men and I am not to sure they want many Black men in the church anyway. Too much competition if you know what I mean. I rarely see churches meeting Black men where they are in an effort to reach them. Everything has to be steeped in religion which many men don't want to here right away if they have been away from the church for awhile. So, just take a look at some of the things young Black men are interested in. They are usually interested in Basketball. So, why aren't churches using that more to keep our men out of the streets instead of focusing on the tired Wednesday Bible study all the time. Why not have a basketball tournament and make a Bible verse a theme. When young Black kids see that you are Christian, but live a real life with other interests they tend to have a more receptive response. Young Black males like Madden. Have a Madden tournament to bring our young Black males together. Stop being so old and acting like fun is beneath you just because you are a Christian now. So, with that backdrop, the Black community is one with issues. However, another big problem is nobody focuses on the successes. The Black kid that gets a perfect score on his SAT's gets 30 seconds of coverage while Black criminality gets an hour long show with people talking about it all the time. The Black father that works everyday, pays his bills, and raises his kids is boring. No movies are going to be made about him. However, many of the Black movies you see are based in the hood. So, who can blame white people if that is all they know about the Black community. To America, much of the Black community is anonymous because we don't fit the stereotypes. Our political parties focus on this stereotypes to enable the problems continuing. I wish a politician would just come out and tell the truth which is the Black Community is just like any other community. They will do better when they decide to. When they decide to support each other. When they decide to support their businesses and institutions. When they stop looking for White validation to do something or support something (for example, many Black people didn't even support President Obama until they saw white people in Iowa validate it).
Very well thought out and on point! 👍🏾

ADVERTISEMENT