ADVERTISEMENT

The State confirms that Monte Lee will be the new Clemson baseball

Cola G'Cock

Apr 29, 2002
Columbia, SC
coach.

I feel this is a bad thing for Gamecock baseball because we still have a head coach who has shown a declining trend for three years and our rival now has a proven winner as head coach.

I believe we will look back at all of this in a few years and realize Ray Tanner made a huge mistake hiring and then keeping Chad Holbrook. I felt all along we should have replaced him with Monte Lee and unfortunately Clemson made that move instead of us.

Oh well, it is too late now.

Reactions: RayGilda
coach.

I feel this is a bad thing for Gamecock baseball because we still have a head coach who has shown a declining trend for three years and our rival now has a proven winner as head coach.

I believe we will look back at all of this in a few years and realize Ray Tanner made a huge mistake hiring and then keeping Chad Holbrook. I felt all along we should have replaced him with Monte Lee and unfortunately Clemson made that move instead of us.

'Friendship! Friendship! Nothin' like friendship!' So the ole song goes, but a song is one thing; reality is something else. Ray did the right thing (in a hurry, of course, and in recognition of good ole friendship!), but IMO he wasn't putting USC first when he hired Chad. To keep things going, Ray should have hired an experienced coach with an excellent won/lost record - perhaps paying him as much as Ray was making as HC. Pastidis may have had a 'better (cheaper) idea and Ray, fresh off his primary goal - getting the AD job, was in no position to push the matter, so Voila! We got . . . Chad!

'Friendship! Friendship! Nothin' like friendship!' So the ole song goes, but a song is one thing; reality is something else. Ray did the right thing (in a hurry, of course, and in recognition of good ole friendship!), but IMO he wasn't putting USC first when he hired Chad. To keep things going, Ray should have hired an experienced coach with an excellent won/lost record - perhaps paying him as much as Ray was making as HC. Pastidis may have had a 'better (cheaper) idea and Ray, fresh off his primary goal - getting the AD job, was in no position to push the matter, so Voila! We got . . . Chad!
That Orange sh!tho!e is on fire now with over half of their team bailing out and any good signee asking for a release or opting for MLB. It will take Mole Lee 3-4 years to even be competitive. Chad is in the last year of make it or break it and there will be a few great coaches much better than Lee available that will want the job at USC.

That Orange sh!tho!e is on fire now with over half of their team bailing out and any good signee asking for a release or opting for MLB. It will take Mole Lee 3-4 years to even be competitive. Chad is in the last year of make it or break it and there will be a few great coaches much better than Lee available that will want the job at USC.
Why do they not want to play for Monte lee?

Why do they not want to play for Monte lee?

I think it's just a kneejerk response to a head coaching change. For some unknown reason, a lot of commits seem to have it in their head that a HC change must be a bad thing for them to get involved with. Kind of like when Spurrier made his "2 or 3 year" comment, it scared off a lot of recruits thinking he had one foot out the door.

Clemson baseball right now is kind of like USC baseball was at the end of the June Raines era- the team isn't good, but the foundation is strong enough that a good coach can start winning pretty soon. Tanner needed a year to get his feet under him in Columbia and then was pretty competitive every year after that. As a Clemson fan, that's kind of what I'm hoping for from Lee.

Monte is 3-15 against CU and USC. Not sure what all the hype is about. To listen to some on this board, you would think he never lost to either team.

Reactions: searooster
Yes they lost on a controversial call. It really could have gone either way. That was the year we beat CCU in the supers, thanks to Walker.

coach.

Post and courier says not yet.

Monte is 3-15 against CU and USC. Not sure what all the hype is about. To listen to some on this board, you would think he never lost to either team.
This. Not saying he's not a capable coach, but he's not yet proven anything against major competition for an entire season. Hope he does well, seems like a quality person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT