ADVERTISEMENT

The strength of the chicken curse

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
So...after USC was eliminated from the regionals I decided to pull for Arkansas. My reasoning was sound.
1. My husband's family is from Arkansas so there are ties.
2. Arkansas has never won a college world series.
3. I really really really like their coach.
4. I found a razorback hat in an old closet when I was helping my widowed 88 year old father do some cleaning.

Then we all know what happened. The #1 seed eliminate by NC State in the supers in Fayetteville.

I think I spread the CHICKEN CURSE to Arkansas. The curse is strong.

1. Chicken curse was never real
2. If it was, it ended in 2010 with Merrifield's single to right
3. Arkansas needs no help with a curse. You see them drop out 3 that would have won the NC a couple years ago?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

1. Chicken curse was never real
2. If it was, it ended in 2010 with Merrifield's single to right
3. Arkansas needs no help with a curse. You see them drop out 3 that would have won the NC a couple years ago?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
I think if there is ONE place the chicken curse isn't real it's Omaha. But Arky was playing in Fayetteville so I'm not sure it wasn't the Chicken curse

Having been in Arkansas for the last year, I too was pulling for the Hogs. We are both the red headed step child of the league, only major D1 schools with our nicknames, and very similar people/fans, so I root for them also. I listen to their radio network regularly, they are much more entertaining than ours. Of course they are a little butt sore right now though, lol.

Reactions: coolcock2001
The chicken curse is real - very real. My Dad, and alum, taught me about it some near 50yrs ago...... I don't think there's any amount of voodoo that can kill it. It the early 2010s, we beat it back some, but it is alive and well today.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I may have brought the curse back to SC in 2014.

I bought a set of Gamecock car window flags and flew them religiously between 2009-2013 during football season. In my head they were what broke our curse… We had 11 win seasons, never lost to Clemson…..

Then in 2014 my roommate at the time (An Ohio St fan) borrowed my flags to tailgate at that home game against TexasA&M…… He never bright the flags back and you all know what happened to us that game. And we are where we are now. Sorry guys!

• Wow
Reactions: redrogers and TAV31
I may have brought the curse back to SC in 2014.

I bought a set of Gamecock car window flags and flew them religiously between 2009-2013 during football season. In my head they were what broke our curse… We had 11 win seasons, never lost to Clemson…..

Then in 2014 my roommate at the time (An Ohio St fan) borrowed my flags to tailgate at that home game against TexasA&M…… He never bright the flags back and you all know what happened to us that game. And we are where we are now. Sorry guys!
It seemed like everyone picked us to win that game based on the hype going into the season, and boy howdy did we screw the pooch that day.

Reactions: redrogers
I knew the 2014 season, hell, Gamecock Football as we knew it then, was over when we were headed to HHI, and we rode by WB, and they were actively installing that banner…..

The only Chicken Curse is the idiots on the BOT and the Boomers who think there's a cosmic force that will make us suck forever.
There are certain forces in the universe that sets down a particular order that is destined. We have our place in that order, which by and large, has been followed for over 100 years.

Of course Lou Holtz said there was no chicken curse, "only a lot of bad football".

What could be more chicken curse than taking a historically mediocre, and occasionally awful, team, elevating them to nearly contender status, just to then bring it all crashing spectacularly down, almost overnight, to historically awful lows once again? The crash being so breathtaking that it caused a HOF coach to scuffle off to retirement midseason.

Tasting success didn't disprove or kill the chicken curse, it was just the curse toying with us, showing us how powerful and in control it is. It could allow us get to the threshold, have a peak at success, and yank us back to the deepest depths of the cellar with ease.

It toyed with us by giving us 3 really good seasons in a row, but always giving us a WTF loss to keep us from the SECCG. It let us taste success...but not quite. Even with 3 straight 11-win and Top 10 seasons, every season had a massive "what if?" lingering over it. Really good seasons that should have been great seasons.

What could be more chicken curse than letting us beat #1 Bama at home to then making us lose to UK the next week?

And then the pièce de ré·sis·tance:

What could be more chicken curse than giving us 5 straight wins over our hated rivals, establishing what seemed to be a dominance that would last for the foreseeable future, only to then use that streak to spur our rivals on to rebuild themselves into a perennial CFP participant and multiple national title winner? And having their ascension to the mountaintop directly coincide with our nearly historic awfulness.

No chicken curse? The curse killed b/c of a baseball game? lol...hardly. The curse don't care about no baseball.

What could be more chicken curse than giving us 5 straight wins over our hated rivals, establishing what seemed to be a dominance that would last for the foreseeable future, only to then use that streak to spur our rivals on to rebuild themselves into a perennial CFP participant and multiple national title winner? And having their ascension to the mountaintop directly coincide with our nearly historic awfulness.
That b@stard of a curse...I'll never forgive it for this 🤬

Reactions: 92Pony
What else would explain a 5* RB, potential Heisman contender, and almost certain future NFL'er committing to play here, playing one fantastic season, only to have his next two seasons (and ultimately his career) ended by terrible knee injuries?

• Sad
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
There are certain forces in the universe that sets down a particular order that is destined. We have our place in that order, which by and large, has been followed for over 100 years.

Of course Lou Holtz said there was no chicken curse, "only a lot of bad football".
The only forces of the universe are the laws of physics and they didn't hire Sparky Woods or Will Muschamp.

Reactions: lostcock
What could be more chicken curse than taking a historically mediocre, and occasionally awful, team, elevating them to nearly contender status, just to then bring it all crashing spectacularly down, almost overnight, to historically awful lows once again? The crash being so breathtaking that it caused a HOF coach to scuffle off to retirement midseason.

Tasting success didn't disprove or kill the chicken curse, it was just the curse toying with us, showing us how powerful and in control it is. It could allow us get to the threshold, have a peak at success, and yank us back to the deepest depths of the cellar with ease.

It toyed with us by giving us 3 really good seasons in a row, but always giving us a WTF loss to keep us from the SECCG. It let us taste success...but not quite. Even with 3 straight 11-win and Top 10 seasons, every season had a massive "what if?" lingering over it. Really good seasons that should have been great seasons.

What could be more chicken curse than letting us beat #1 Bama at home to then making us lose to UK the next week?

No chicken curse? The curse killed b/c of a baseball game? lol...hardly. The curse don't care about no baseball.
We hired a professional AD and a great coach. Surprise. The "curse" goes on hiatus. Then the power grabbing, idiots on the board hire a baseball coach who botches the new hire. "Curse" is back. It's almost like it's not a curse but bad management.

The chicken curse is real - very real. My Dad, and alum, taught me about it some near 50yrs ago...... I don't think there's any amount of voodoo that can kill it. It the early 2010s, we beat it back some, but it is alive and well today.
You along with the rest of your trollers can go back to the rock rubbers club, or the greyhound bus club. We all know who you are.

Reactions: ulysses5
We hired a professional AD and a great coach. Surprise. The "curse" goes on hiatus. Then the power grabbing, idiots on the board hire a baseball coach who botches the new hire. "Curse" is back. It's almost like it's not a curse but bad management.

You didn't read the post nearly closely enough, if at all. the curse never went on hiatus. it was alive and well during the 2010-2013 football seasons. maybe it was more alive than ever. just b/c we had some good records, folks think the curse died. it was really just mocking us but taking us that close to the top, but always holding us back from crossing over.

Reactions: caughtlookin
You didn't read the post nearly closely enough, if at all. the curse never went on hiatus. it was alive and well during the 2010-2013 football seasons. maybe it was more alive than ever. just b/c we had some good records, folks think the curse died. it was really just mocking us but taking us that close to the top, but always holding us back from crossing over.
Occam's razor: there's a supernatural curse that plagues us because our mascot is a chicken or dumbasses have historically and currently mismanage our athletic dept and we have fans that have low expectations?

Occam's razor: there's a supernatural curse that plagues us because our mascot is a chicken or dumbasses have historically and currently mismanage our athletic dept and we have fans that have low expectations?

the curse oversees all. from personnel moves to on-field freak bounces of the ball.

What else would explain a 5* RB, potential Heisman contender, and almost certain future NFL'er committing to play here, playing one fantastic season, only to have his next two seasons (and ultimately his career) ended by terrible knee injuries?
More Occam's razor: a player running the ball 30 times a game in the SEC in a position where injury is almost a certainty or the football gods have deemed is unworthy of greatness? Huh. Tough choice.

the curse oversees all. from personnel moves to on-field freak bounces of the ball.
Let's cut to the chase: there's no such thing as curses. See: Curse of the Bambino.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, the fault lies not in the stars but in ourselves.

Is that code for 'Go tigas i love dango'?

LOL! Yep. You pegged me! Can't get nuthin' by someone as sharp as you!
Have to ask yourself why a Carolina fan would bring up some nonsense like this though...don't think they would..ain't nobody want talk about no mess like this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT