ADVERTISEMENT

the "wait till next year" mentality (Kingston, Frank, etc.)

Cocky 45

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2019
Columbia, SC
This is what separates us from the Alabama's, and LSU's of the world, this losing mindset that should have gone away ten years ago, it continues to plague our athletics. Spurrier used to say he hated losing more than liking to win, losing should feel bad.

good teams win and expect to win, losers make excuses and say wait till next year. Whether it's Muschamp, Tanner, Frank, or Kingston, it's the same excuses for losing and it's getting old. tomorrow is not promised, win now not later. go cocks

Our Admin and related sports staff are most concerned with collecting a paycheck, NOT winning. Other schools, (read Clemson) are simply more passionate about the need to win. It starts with the way our by laws are written to form our BOT and filters down from there.

I've decided to stop beating my heaad against a wall trying to figure how/why we don't win consistently at a high level in sports now that it's been explained how the BOT's differ between USC and CU. It's never going to change. It's baked into the recipe.

The problem with using wait till next year imo is it has to be justified. The only way I know of to justify it is to show improvement from the time a season starts to the time it ends. We rarely do that anymore. What I learned from our recent baseball season is promises and good intentions dont cut it. Results is all that matters and they must come before "next year".

There seem to be quite a few reasons we’ve stunk year after year. Leadership at the top and the structure of the BOT simply don’t care. And they don’t have a reason to care.

Our fans, unlike those at some other schools, refuse to play hardball. We’d rather say “look at us! 70,000 fans to see an 0-11 team!”

Change the BOT appointment method, and combine it with fans who will pull money and support when they aren’t satisfied, and maybe we’d get different results.

Take a trip up to Clemson and look at the community and how they support their Athletics team up there and compare that to the support here. Unless you're on campus you wouldn't know there is a major university here in Columbia.

Take a trip up to Clemson and look at the community and how they support their Athletics team up there and compare that to the support here. Unless you're on campus you wouldn't know there is a major university here in Columbia.
Clempson IS the town. Very different in Columbia and USC.

Reactions: redrogers
Arkansas, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Oklahoma and tons more are exactly like that place...heck even Mizzou kind of is.
Have you honestly been to Athens GA or Baton Rouge, LA? Both have soooooo much more going on than Clempson, Pickens County. Baton Rouge is more similar to Columbia.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOSUSC
Have you honestly been to Athens GA or Baton Rouge, LA? Both have soooooo much more going on than Clempson, Pickens County. Baton Rouge is more similar to Columbia.
I was referring more to their mindset. Those towns are all about that one team. You see as much Clemson stuff in Columbia as Carolina. That doesn't happen in those other towns. If you've been through them you'll understand. Knoxville is all UT. Athens is all Dogs. Fayetteville is all Hawg. I could keep going....

I was referring more to their mindset. Those towns are all about that one team. You see as much Clemson stuff in Columbia as Carolina. That doesn't happen in those other towns. If you've been through them you'll understand. Knoxville is all UT. Athens is all Dogs. Fayetteville is all Hawg. I could keep going....
Ok, i get it. Still dont think those are direct comparisons. Columbia is the largest city in the state, home of state government and a good amount of statewide commerce. Lots of reasons why CU grads would live in the Columbia area. Heck, even a fair number of them have to go to grad school at Carolina to pursue their chosen careers. I know lots of Tiger fan Clempson undergrads that went to grad school at Carolina. It happens the other way around but is far less common.

Athens, though bigger with more to do than Clempson, is still a college town. Fayetteville is a college town. Knoxville is a bigger city but UT is by far the dominate sports school in that entire state and 2nd place isn't even close.

One comparison would be Tallahassee FL. Mostly Seminoles there but you definitely see plenty of Florida Gators. And isnt it kinda like all the Gamecocks you see in Greenville? I mean you would think it would be a total Clempson town but its not.

It would be like Carolina being in Florence. If it was, that whole town would be garnet and black.

Our Admin and related sports staff are most concerned with collecting a paycheck, NOT winning. Other schools, (read Clemson) are simply more passionate about the need to win. It starts with the way our by laws are written to form our BOT and filters down from there.

I've decided to stop beating my heaad against a wall trying to figure how/why we don't win consistently at a high level in sports now that it's been explained how the BOT's differ between USC and CU. It's never going to change. It's baked into the recipe.
Just for curiosity how is our BOT's selection process different from Clemson's?

This is what separates us from the Alabama's, and LSU's of the world, this losing mindset that should have gone away ten years ago, it continues to plague our athletics. Spurrier used to say he hated losing more than liking to win, losing should feel bad.

good teams win and expect to win, losers make excuses and say wait till next year. Whether it's Muschamp, Tanner, Frank, or Kingston, it's the same excuses for losing and it's getting old. tomorrow is not promised, win now not later. go cocks
But the sad part it's been that way ever since I became a Gamecock fan, circa 1960.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Post this on insider chicken 💩

Ok, i get it. Still dont think those are direct comparisons. Columbia is the largest city in the state, home of state government and a good amount of statewide commerce. Lots of reasons why CU grads would live in the Columbia area. Heck, even a fair number of them have to go to grad school at Carolina to pursue their chosen careers. I know lots of Tiger fan Clempson undergrads that went to grad school at Carolina. It happens the other way around but is far less common.

Athens, though bigger with more to do than Clempson, is still a college town. Fayetteville is a college town. Knoxville is a bigger city but UT is by far the dominate sports school in that entire state and 2nd place isn't even close.

One comparison would be Tallahassee FL. Mostly Seminoles there but you definitely see plenty of Florida Gators. And isnt it kinda like all the Gamecocks you see in Greenville? I mean you would think it would be a total Clempson town but its not.

It would be like Carolina being in Florence. If it was, that whole town would be garnet and black.
Columbia is not the largest city in the state.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ah yes, our daily dose of futilely screaming into the void because something isn't living up to standards you've set but could never meet yourself. Much like a three-year-old throwing a tantrum because the toy they wanted is green instead of blue when it HAS ringing be blue! You never fail to entertain with your ridiculous premise that winning is all that matters, and winning in sports we're not even personally playing is important in life. It's not, you know. I'd like Carolina to have a winner.y life is not worse because we don't, though and I cannot fathom wasting this kind of energy being so angry at stuff that doesn't even affect you, for players and coaches who don't even know you exist.

Ah yes, our daily dose of futilely screaming into the void because something isn't living up to standards you've set but could never meet yourself. Much like a three-year-old throwing a tantrum because the toy they wanted is green instead of blue when it HAS ringing be blue! You never fail to entertain with your ridiculous premise that winning is all that matters, and winning in sports we're not even personally playing is important in life. It's not, you know. I'd like Carolina to have a winner.y life is not worse because we don't, though and I cannot fathom wasting this kind of energy being so angry at stuff that doesn't even affect you, for players and coaches who don't even know you exist.

Huh? Isnt this a Gamecocks athletics forum to discuss Gamecock athletics?

Never takes long for the defenders of mediocrity to attack/insult/ridicule anyone who voices a higher expectation for our teams.

When we were in New Orleans about three years ago on a vacation during Memorial Day week, we saw a fair amount of LSU-garbed people. I recall seeing no one decked out in any Tulane attire.

When we were in New Orleans about three years ago on a vacation during Memorial Day week, we saw a fair amount of LSU-garbed people. I recall seeing no one decked out in any Tulane attire.
Yea, i bet. That is probably not a surprise. The profiles of those two institutions is dramatically different. LSU is the state U with a powerhouse athletic program. Tulane is an academically focused university (12% acceptance rate vs 75% at LSU) who also happens to compete in sports. Another staggering difference.....LSU is 75% in-state students, Tulane is only 16%.

Yea, i bet. That is probably not a surprise. The profiles of those two institutions is dramatically different. LSU is the state U with a powerhouse athletic program. Tulane is an academically focused university (12% acceptance rate vs 75% at LSU) who also happens to compete in sports. Another staggering difference.....LSU is 75% in-state students, Tulane is only 16%.
I get the sense that when Tulane began making plans to exit the SEC, the academic leadership might have been perfectly happy to drop to the equivalent of D-II. Too many alumni stated otherwise, hence their mid-major position.

Reactions: USC2USC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT