ADVERTISEMENT

Things getting fun at Baylor...

85alum#

Sep 1, 2001
Coach already resigned. Now University president about to resign. 7 commitments asked out of their Letter of Intent. Star QB recruit decommitted. Title IX lawsuit now filed.

Now wondering what's going to happen on the Police Dept end, the other side of this mess.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving place.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Coach already resigned. Now University president about to resign. 7 commitments asked out of their Letter of Intent. Star QB recruit decommitted. Title IX lawsuit now filed.

Now wondering what's going to happen on the Police Dept end, the other side of this mess.

Them Baptist in Waco, will be strapping on their guns! Mike Singletary wants the job. That might
Help hold things together.

Beg to disagree. I think Ucheat is more deserving. Unlike Baylor, they cover up some of the same offenses up. Butch Jones had conversations with an alleged rape victim at UT. He also is alledged to have branded a player who assisted the victim in an unfavorable light and allowed a player who punched him out to stay on the team. Rest assured, UT wouldn't dare allow an independent audit of their sorry program Note I did not even mention the program up the road.

Beg to disagree. I think Ucheat is more deserving. Unlike Baylor, they cover up some of the same offenses up. Butch Jones had conversations with an alleged rape victim at UT. He also is alledged to have branded a player who assisted the victim in an unfavorable light and allowed a player who punched him out to stay on the team. Rest assured, UT wouldn't dare allow an independent audit of their sorry program Note I did not even mention the program up the road.

Could you supply me with a link to your accusations? I think you may be embellishing a bit (okay, a lot).

Could you supply me with a link to your accusations? I think you may be embellishing a bit (okay, a lot).

The guy understated the hell out of the total allegations at UTenn. The Title IX suit talks about cover ups going up to the ranks in the university administration. Have you been living under a rock on this?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...exual-assault-suit-filed-against-ut/79966450/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...awsuit-over-athletes-alleged-sexual-assaults/

"Included in the lawsuit is a claim that Tennessee football players assaulted Volunteers wide receiver Drae Bowles after he assisted the woman who accused Johnson and Williams of rape in November 2014. According to the lawsuit, Bowles took the victim to the hospital on the night of the assault and supported her decision to report the incident. The next day, the lawsuit claims, the fifth complainant in the case says she saw several football players jump Bowles and that “athletic coaches were present” during the attack. The woman whom Bowles helped — named “Jane Doe IV” in the lawsuit — says he was assaulted a second time by the same players in a team facility.
The Knoxville News Sentinel has more on this aspect of the lawsuit, particularly that the suit, which claims former linebacker Curt Maggitt “admitted” to the second assault, does not specify if Maggitt actually participated in it. It also notes that Williams told police on Nov. 26 that former teammate Geraldo Orta informed Williams that the team had “a hit” out on Drae Bowles, who Orta said had “betrayed the team and that where he (Orta) came from, people got shot for doing what Bowles did.” Orta and Maggitt both engaged with Bowles in other incidents, according to the News Sentinel." - Washington Post

The guy understated the hell out of the total allegations at UTenn. The Title IX suit talks about cover ups going up to the ranks in the university administration. Have you been living under a rock on this?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...exual-assault-suit-filed-against-ut/79966450/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...awsuit-over-athletes-alleged-sexual-assaults/

"Included in the lawsuit is a claim that Tennessee football players assaulted Volunteers wide receiver Drae Bowles after he assisted the woman who accused Johnson and Williams of rape in November 2014. According to the lawsuit, Bowles took the victim to the hospital on the night of the assault and supported her decision to report the incident. The next day, the lawsuit claims, the fifth complainant in the case says she saw several football players jump Bowles and that “athletic coaches were present” during the attack. The woman whom Bowles helped — named “Jane Doe IV” in the lawsuit — says he was assaulted a second time by the same players in a team facility.
The Knoxville News Sentinel has more on this aspect of the lawsuit, particularly that the suit, which claims former linebacker Curt Maggitt “admitted” to the second assault, does not specify if Maggitt actually participated in it. It also notes that Williams told police on Nov. 26 that former teammate Geraldo Orta informed Williams that the team had “a hit” out on Drae Bowles, who Orta said had “betrayed the team and that where he (Orta) came from, people got shot for doing what Bowles did.” Orta and Maggitt both engaged with Bowles in other incidents, according to the News Sentinel." - Washington Post

Okay, you did fine in locating the very first reports when the "lawsuit" (it needs to be understood that it is a "Lawsuit", seeking damages) first surfaced. Since that time, a lot has come out.
But first of all, Athenscock accused Jones and UT of "covering up" these terrible (and I mean that) crimes. But, in each case, the accused was suspended as soon as he was accused. Not after he was arrested, or charged, but as soon as he was accused. Two of them never returned. Two of them did return, but only after being cleared by the Knoxville PD (NOT the UT PD). One is still suspended, even though his charge is a misdemeanor. How is that "covering up"? None of these guys ever played a down while being investigated, even before being charged.
As for the Bowles situation: The Nashville Tennessean printed back in March "He previously told the Knoxville News Sentinel that he was not assaulted, but in the new legal filing, Bowles said teammate Curt Maggitt punched him and bloodied his lip in a locker room incident. Maggitt’s attorney denied to the Associated Press that Maggitt punched Bowles." So which is it? Did he lie about it and then later change his mind? I'm sure there are attorneys on this board which will agree with me as to the credibility of this guy. And if the team was after him, and Jones thought he was a "traitor" (which Jones has denied), why was he still on the team? There is even a photo of Jones hugging him after the bowl game played two months AFTER the supposed assault.
And further, if UT "covers up" this stuff, why would they be challenging this lawsuit? Would they not take the FSU way out and just pay off the plaintiffs? (which is really what they wanted, IMO). I think you guys read the original media coverage when the suit was filed, but have not kept up with what has happened since. Once the depositions start, and the cell phone records come out, I think you'll see a different picture of the Johnson and Williams and Bowles event. As for Pearson and Lane, both were cleared by the police and never played a down before that. I think this whole lawsuit was a money grab brought on by the actions of Florida State following the Winston mess.
If it's proven that Johnson and Williams did what they are accused of I hope they get what's coming to them. I only posted to defend the program I love. I'm not here to flame, or enter a pissing match. But I'm willing to discuss the problem. I only want to say that to compare our situation with Baylor is ridiculous.

Peace

Good work spear. Let him stay under that rock.

Okay, you did fine in locating the very first reports when the "lawsuit" (it needs to be understood that it is a "Lawsuit", seeking damages) first surfaced. Since that time, a lot has come out.
But first of all, Athenscock accused Jones and UT of "covering up" these terrible (and I mean that) crimes. But, in each case, the accused was suspended as soon as he was accused. Not after he was arrested, or charged, but as soon as he was accused. Two of them never returned. Two of them did return, but only after being cleared by the Knoxville PD (NOT the UT PD). One is still suspended, even though his charge is a misdemeanor. How is that "covering up"? None of these guys ever played a down while being investigated, even before being charged.
As for the Bowles situation: The Nashville Tennessean printed back in March "He previously told the Knoxville News Sentinel that he was not assaulted, but in the new legal filing, Bowles said teammate Curt Maggitt punched him and bloodied his lip in a locker room incident. Maggitt’s attorney denied to the Associated Press that Maggitt punched Bowles." So which is it? Did he lie about it and then later change his mind? I'm sure there are attorneys on this board which will agree with me as to the credibility of this guy. And if the team was after him, and Jones thought he was a "traitor" (which Jones has denied), why was he still on the team? There is even a photo of Jones hugging him after the bowl game played two months AFTER the supposed assault.
And further, if UT "covers up" this stuff, why would they be challenging this lawsuit? Would they not take the FSU way out and just pay off the plaintiffs? (which is really what they wanted, IMO). I think you guys read the original media coverage when the suit was filed, but have not kept up with what has happened since. Once the depositions start, and the cell phone records come out, I think you'll see a different picture of the Johnson and Williams and Bowles event. As for Pearson and Lane, both were cleared by the police and never played a down before that. I think this whole lawsuit was a money grab brought on by the actions of Florida State following the Winston mess.
If it's proven that Johnson and Williams did what they are accused of I hope they get what's coming to them. I only posted to defend the program I love. I'm not here to flame, or enter a pissing match. But I'm willing to discuss the problem. I only want to say that to compare our situation with Baylor is ridiculous.

Peace

You are reporting what the UT staff and their lawyers have come up with after having time to justify their actions. None of that covers the Knoxville police department's years of giving UT's coaching staff a heads up when a player is about to be arrested nor did you address the multiple phone calls from Jones to Johnson after the PD's call to him. According to the cop, this has been a KPD policy for years, to give the coach a heads up when a player was about to be arrested. Can you justify this practice?

Why is UT challenging the lawsuit? Because they don't have the funds or want to to pay a huge settlement, why even bother to ask that question. As for Bowles changing his story, looks like he was easier and cheaper to payoff than the ladies, what about the wittnesses who saw it happen, they lying too, everyone is lying but UT football players right?

UT has for years brought in kids with questionable character, the kid who help restrain his cousin and stood by while she was assaulted with a plunger, a kid while as a player was seen on tape committing armed robbery, while he was sent away for a year, brought back and got in trouble within a few days, had a group of players beat a cop unconconcious leaving him laying in the street, and security tapes suddenly disappeared from a UT bar.

To top it all off, UT tried to get the Title IX suit transferred back to Knoxville, yeah, I am sure that would have been impartial, it was still in Tennessee, how do you thinking it would go if it was in Birmingham, about as impartial only in the other direction. Butch should be charged for interferring with an investigation, but so should the cop who called him. But James Franklin walked away from it, so Butch will too, must be a Tennessee thing.

Many fans think the issues going on at Baylor only happens at state supported schools. Well, I have news for everyone, issues like Baylor is experiencing can happen at any D1 school.

Last edited:
You are reporting what the UT staff and their lawyers have come up with after having time to justify their actions. None of that covers the Knoxville police department's years of giving UT's coaching staff a heads up when a player is about to be arrested nor did you address the multiple phone calls from Jones to Johnson after the PD's call to him. According to the cop, this has been a KPD policy for years, to give the coach a heads up when a player was about to be arrested. Can you justify this practice?

Why is UT challenging the lawsuit? Because they don't have the funds or want to to pay a huge settlement, why even bother to ask that question. As for Bowles changing his story, looks like he was easier and cheaper to payoff than the ladies, what about the wittnesses who saw it happen, they lying too, everyone is lying but UT football players right?

UT has for years brought in kids with questionable character, the kid who help restrain his cousin and stood by while she was assaulted with a plunger, a kid while as a player was seen on tape committing armed robbery, while he was sent away for a year, brought back and got in trouble within a few days, had a group of players beat a cop unconconcious leaving him laying in the street, and security tapes suddenly disappeared from a UT bar.

To top it all off, UT tried to get the Title IX suit transferred back to Knoxville, yeah, I am sure that would have been impartial, it was still in Tennessee, how do you thinking it would go if it was in Birmingham, about as impartial only in the other direction. Butch should be charged for interferring with an investigation, but so should the cop who called him. But James Franklin walked away from it, so Butch will too, must be a Tennessee thing.

Yeah, I don't like the fact the Knoxville PD contacted Jones. I guess that never happens anywhere else. Only problem with the case in question is that the evidence (pot, condom, etc.) was still found by the PD. You would think a timely "heads up" would have made sure that didn't happen, huh? And if you think that UT can't afford to settle the lawsuit instead of challenging it.....well, I don't know what to say. I have a good friend who is a Dawg fan, and I'm sure he wouldn't say something like that.
I'm also amazed at a Dawg fan talking about UT having players of questionable character. Seriously? What was it that Spurrier used to say about playing UGA early in the season? Something about them always having a few key players suspended?
And trying to get the case transferred to Knoxville. Isn't that where the alleged acts happened? Don't you think that the attorneys for the "suit" (once again, seeking damages, as in $$$) knew that they would have much better odds in "Vandy land" than in the actual town where the alleged acts took place. You know how they love UT so much in Nashville. I will say that, on both sides, it was lawyers doing their job.
I'm not even going to address the rest of your claims. As I said, I'm not here for a pissing match. Some of you guys want something bad to happen so badly that you would believe anything you read on a message board or by any "less that scrupulous" media source, so why bother. All I can say is, when it's all said and done, one of us will be happy and other will be crying "foul". I'm pretty sure I know which one will be which.

Peace

P.S. I'd like to invite you Knoxville.....I hear they are having a bake sale to raise money to keep the lights on at UT......you know, since they are so broke and all.

Peace
So, let me see if I got this right. UT is not automatically settling the lawsuit, which proves the school did nothing wrong.

Okay, sounds solid. Using that logic, when UT does settle - and they will - you'll accept that as an admission of guilt.

This stuff is out of hand- and I have to be honest- has caused me to lose a lot of my interest in football- college football too.

Mississippi State is allowing a guy to play football on scholarship that would never be allowed on campus under the same circumstances if he was a regular student.

Baylor? Well, Baylor did things for athletes they would never have allowed for non-athletes.

Tennessee? good gracious.

Sports are too important to too many people

and I am losing interest.

So, let me see if I got this right. UT is not automatically settling the lawsuit, which proves the school did nothing wrong.

Okay, sounds solid. Using that logic, when UT does settle - and they will - you'll accept that as an admission of guilt.

If you care to read what I wrote, you'll realize that I did not say that not settling the lawsuit proved anything more than UT was not afraid of being investigated for "hiding" the charges. I don't think in a suit citing Title IX transgressions that there will ever be a "guilty" or "not guilty". You should read the actual filing so you can understand exactly what the folks that filed the suit are asking for, and for what reason.(hint $) If anything was handled incorrectly, I'm sure it will come out......but I feel that UT has nothing to "hide".

I posted only to defend UT, not to be baited into a pissing match. So go ahead and thump your chest and brag to your buddies about how you put me in my place. I don't mind.....I've come to expect it on this board. And then you guys wonder why you don't get any respect.

Good luck with your season this fall......I think you're going to need it, especially when the Vols come to town!

Peace

If you care to read what I wrote, you'll realize that I did not say that not settling the lawsuit proved anything more than UT was not afraid of being investigated for "hiding" the charges. I don't think in a suit citing Title IX transgressions that there will ever be a "guilty" or "not guilty". You should read the actual filing so you can understand exactly what the folks that filed the suit are asking for, and for what reason.(hint $) If anything was handled incorrectly, I'm sure it will come out......but I feel that UT has nothing to "hide".

I posted only to defend UT, not to be baited into a pissing match. So go ahead and thump your chest and brag to your buddies about how you put me in my place. I don't mind.....I've come to expect it on this board. And then you guys wonder why you don't get any respect.

Good luck with your season this fall......I think you're going to need it, especially when the Vols come to town!

Peace

I know that we have a lot to worry about when UT comes to town. We'll make sure to put out a warning to all coeds your players will be in town.

I'm also amazed at a Dawg fan talking about UT having players of questionable character. Seriously? What was it that Spurrier used to say about playing UGA early in the season? Something about them always having a few key players suspended?
Many of those Dawgs charged with crimes (usually misdemeanors) in Athens were recruited by us and the rest of the SEC. And they were routinely dealt with by Richt and not swept under the rug because UGA's penalties were harsher than what the SEC requires. The same type infractions at UF will get you suspended for a game of their choice, like Western Carolina. I think UGA just has too much of a party atmosphere and too many bars for a town of that size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT