ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about the blown call in the Auburn/Ole Miss game and the resulting fallout

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
1st commandment of SEC officiating: Thou shalt not criticize our shitty refs, SEC may be the best football conference but it has the worst refs, but honestly I got criticized on here years ago for posting this after a loss where the refs screwed us, but I think there's a tier system the refs use to base their calls on it does fluctuate time to time but it is as follows:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia and LSU
3. Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M
4. Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri
5. Ole Miss, Mississippi St.
6. South Carolina, Arkansas
7. Vanderbilt

I'll actually say I feel for the Ole Miss fans(not Kiffin though), because if any fanbase understands losing a game because the refs screwed you it's us( Several trips that Orange dumphole in Knoxville when fat Phil was there come to mind).

I'll actually say I feel for the Ole Miss fans(not Kiffin though), because if any fanbase understands losing a game because the refs screwed you it's us( Several trips that Orange dumphole in Knoxville when fat Phil was there come to mind).
You don't have to look any further than last year's Florida game to see blatant bias or total incompetence. In other words we got screwed royally.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
When you look at what the goals every year are for the SEC leadership it's pretty easy to see what is going on.

The SEC wants at least ONE team in the CFP every year. Preferably two. How do you accomplish that? By having one or two teams completely dominate the conference. That's why it "seems" like the conference blue bloods always seem to get the calls. It's really irksome. You're not going to beat FL, GA, Bama, LSU, or even Auburn in a "close" game. To get the win you have to completely dominate those teams.

In men's basketball, the goal is to get as many SEC teams as possible into the NCAA Tournament. Since UK is almost always a lock to get into the tourney. The easiest way to make the rest of the conference look better is to make them look like Kentucky. The simplest way to do that is have several conference teams every year beat UK.

This year it has gotten ridiculous. Literally every win Auburn has gotten this year (3) has had controversial calls go in Auburn's favor.

Reactions: TeamPlayer
If there is this type of bias, there would be only two tiers - the big 6 and everyone else. No way Johnny-come-lately A&M would be helped over charter member with good history Tennessee.

If there is this type of bias, there would be only two tiers - the big 6 and everyone else. No way Johnny-come-lately A&M would be helped over charter member with good history Tennessee.

I don't know. I went to Kyle Field for the UK game there two years ago.

Josh Allen was held the entire game while rushing from the edge. In one play, A&M's tackle was swinging Allen around by his facemask. What's a more obvious foul than that? Given that Mond was setting up to pass from their own EndZone that should have been a Safety. Allen looked at the Ref who had witnessed the whole play from only 10 feet away. The Ref just pointed to his Seeing-Eye Dog and shrugged.

Later in the same game, A&M heavily benefitted from an uncalled Block-in-the-Back on a punt return. That occurred right next to the returner in the open field and sprung the long return.

The result of that game? UK lost in OT.

I don't know. I went to Kyle Field for the UK game there two years ago.

Josh Allen was held the entire game while rushing from the edge. In one play, A&M's tackle was swinging Allen around by his facemask. What's a more obvious foul than that? Given that Mond was setting up to pass from their own EndZone that should have been a Safety. Allen looked at the Ref who had witnessed the whole play from only 10 feet away. The Ref just pointed to his Seeing-Eye Dog and shrugged.

Later in the same game, A&M heavily benefitted from an uncalled Block-in-the-Back on a punt return. That occurred right next to the returner in the open field and sprung the long return.

The result of that game? UK lost in OT.
UK is not part of the SEC football Big 6.

Reactions: USMCatFan
I certainly understand the sentiment having been on the receiving too many times. But I’ll play devils advocate on this one play (but also blame the refs for not owning the mistake).

By definition, the refs actually had an inadvertent whistle. It happens to most refs, myself included, at some point - but hopefully not at the college level. It’s pretty clear why it happened, too. They expected to see a typical spike of the ball, Auburn motioned they were going to spike, and the fumble jumbled everything so quickly that at least one ref blew it dead when he spiked it backwards. That’s a big mistake but not unheard of.

The criminal mistake was the review saying “the play stands”. If they had the guts they would have announced that the play was actually an inadvertent whistle. But bad news for Arkansas...the result of the inadvertent whistle would be the same. Auburn ball at the sight of the spike.

Reactions: Cybercock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT