ADVERTISEMENT

Third friend this week tested positive ...

I took it very serious at the beginning. Then after a few months started going out again. Went to a cookout at a friends house and now 7 of us have tested positive. I'm 50 and been sick for over 2 weeks. It's a nightmare. I live in Greenville. Please protect yourself. Getting this can be miserable.

If you have had the flu, and I assume you have, how does covid differ from the flu?

Just found out this afternoon a college friend of mine that he and his family all have tested positive and are suffering from serious side effects.
EDIT: According to him, flu symptoms pale in comparison to COVID. Some not all: Headache for over 8 days, sinus congestion, lack of energy and no appetite. His wife has been in bed for over 10 days.

Last edited:
A leaked document from the White House today has South Carolina on the list of " red hot zone" states for covid. . We are one of 18 states on the red zone list. I know it won't happen but, they recommend issuing mask orders, rolling back reopenings, limit gym and restaurant occupancy to 50% and limiting visitation to nursing homes. The current U.S. covid death total is 141,874. The August 1 projection is 151,000. The August 8 projection is 157,000. The November 1 projection is 224,000.

Be careful guys. Take care of yourselves and your families.

So as usual, we have the chimps rattling their cages and flinging feces at the President, and anecdotal “five friends got it and most aren’t critical, one was hospitalized but is fine now” type posts.

I have a friend just released from the hospital that had a blood infection; they tried their best at the hospital to, in his words, pin covid on him. I have a friend in NYC whose sister passed away after doctors told her they were unable to determine the exact nature of her illness. When she received the death certificate, COD was shown as covid 19. I know two others that have it now; both had flu like symptoms for a couple of days and are now fine.

Curious that more people than ever are wearing masks now, yet “the numbers” continue to “rise”.

Toilet paper shortage, coin shortage, disinfectant shortage, businesses folding, schools going “virtual.”

Yes, I think we definitely -should- take it seriously. Develop the damn vaccine, and quit worrying about red tape and people turning into flesh eating zombies from a faulty vaccine like in the movies. People wear capes and fly thru the air in the movies; this isn’t the movies. You can split an atom; you have identified the “God particle”; you have sent a probe into Jupiter’s atmosphere. YEARS ago. Develop it; manufacture it; distribute it; make it affordable; and dispense it without strings attached like microchips. Do something of BENEFIT for a change.

Just found out this afternoon a college friend of mine that he and his family all have tested positive and are suffering from serious side effects.
According to him, the COVID systems pale to the flu.
Not clear...... serious side effects, but it pales to the flu? Don't understand.

A leaked document from the White House today has South Carolina on the list of " red hot zone" states for covid. . We are one of 18 states on the red zone list. I know it won't happen but, they recommend issuing mask orders, rolling back reopenings, limit gym and restaurant occupancy to 50% and limiting visitation to nursing homes. The current U.S. covid death total is 141,874. The August 1 projection is 151,000. The August 8 projection is 157,000. The November 1 projection is 224,000.

Be careful guys. Take care of yourselves and your families.
But send everybody back to school...makes sense.

I have had it. I am just now 14 days out from onset of symptoms. I go back to living a "normal life" tomorrow. But out of an abundance of caution I will continue to wear mask. I have two friends that had it. One had mild symptoms the other was sick as a dog for a week. I was pretty lucky. Loss of smell and taste and headaches. My girlfriend's son, daughter in law and grandson all have it. They live in California.

I was never around anyone that was sick. So logic would say I got it from someone who didn't know they were infected. And in all likelihood was not wearing a mask.

The antimaskers can squawk all they want but it's plain bull sh*t. My girl friend is a nurse anesthetist. The amount of time she had spent wearing a mask in the 45 years of her career can roughly be estimated (conservatively) at around 65,000 hours. Yeah.... she did the math.
She currently is wearing an N95 and a surgical mask at the same time. One over the other. And "breathing her own carbon dioxide" hasn't hurt her one bit. She is still smarter than most on this forum.

Wear a damn mask.

Wearing a mask, specially in the heat is not good for anyone, unless you like breathing in your own carbon dioxide...

It's not a plastic bag sealed over your head, it's a mask. You aren't rebreathing a significant amount of CO2 with a mask compared to without.

Biggest problem with a mask in the heat is it getting damp from sweat. Not only will you find yourself adjusting it more, keeping your hands around your face, but a damp mask potentially wicks bacteria/virus through it.

I'm in an ICU, wearing a mask 12+ hours per day. If I stop at a store for groceries/meds/whatever, a mask goes back on.

Does it suck? Sure. Is it a guarantee I won't catch the virus? No. But it improves the odds of being safe, and it limits me from potentially infecting someone else if I'm asymptomatic.

If you have had the flu, and I assume you have, how does covid differ from the flu?
The lack of energy is 3-4 times worse. My symptoms have stayed the same for 15 days now. Sinus like headache on a regular basis. Just taking a shower wears you out. With the flu the symptoms for better much quicker.

I respect your choice, and hopefully you can respect my opinion, even if it differs from yours.

We will not see relief from this until a vaccine is in place or people stop making selfish choices.

I’ll just leave it at that.
I love the “selfish choices” crowd. My body, my choice. You keep wearing your muzzle there pal.

I am going to donate blood this week and will get the Covid test as part of the process. So I will know if this is what I had back in March for a few days.

Exactly- everyone is a liar EXCEPT for Trump right? All the women who accused him of assault, every Democrat in America apparently, nearly every single person he has hired as part of his staff since taking office, the recordings of things he said= also lies, the elected leaders of damn near every country we interact with both friends and foes... ALL of them lie and make mistakes, but not Trump! That is legitimately what people who defend him constantly will tell you. It is what HE will tell you. This sounds like a joke I made up, but there is no punchline...

Here is the irony, the sooner we can get past or greatly mitigate the virus & get the economy back up & running the better that would presumably be for trump. Trump called this a democratic hoax, downplayed & still downplays the severity of what's going on, refused to wear a mask, etc. Many of his followers have taken his lead are just adamant that they will not wear a mask. I guess they can't comprehend that both the president & his followers are actually shooting themselves in the foot.

To the above, I made the same point a while back. If trump & nine other people witnessed an event & all of them told the same story except trump, who told a very different story. Who would the trump supporter believe?
We all know the answer, those other 9 were liars and/or democrats. Lord knows they never, under any circumstances, want to look at the common denominator in these hundreds of disputed stories.
It's simply amazing, and mathematically highly improbable, that one guy can hire, have professional relationships and other dealings with so many liars. Especially a guy who bragged nonstop about knowing the "best people"

Last edited:
What a lot of people aren't talking about right now is that age group is believed to be the least affected and the least likely to spread the virus. There isn't much data on that because they haven't been in school. I hope this info is correct. My wife is an elementary school teacher. I'm more concerned with the middle aged to older people working in the school. Almost all kids would bounce back from it, if they even have symptoms. If a kid is in an at-risk group, they can stay home and get virtual instruction.
yeah, the kids catching it isn't the real issue. The staff catching it could be and the kids taking it home to parents/grandparents could definitely be an issue.

He basically said that normal people didn’t need to wear a mask because the cases were so low and wanted them to be available to medical personnel, everyone just doesn’t actually read the context and parrots misinformation
In late February, CDC director Robert Redfield testified before the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee and was asked if healthy people should wear masks. “No,” Redfield responded. The day after that, US surgeon general Jerome Adams tweeted “Seriously people—STOP BUYING MASKS.” Fauci himself, in early March, told a Senate committee that the general public didn’t need to wear them because Covid-19 wasn’t widespread enough.

In late February, CDC director Robert Redfield testified before the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee and was asked if healthy people should wear masks. “No,” Redfield responded. The day after that, US surgeon general Jerome Adams tweeted “Seriously people—STOP BUYING MASKS.” Fauci himself, in early March, told a Senate committee that the general public didn’t need to wear them because Covid-19 wasn’t widespread enough.
These events as you mentioned happened back in February. Wouldn't you agree that circumstances since then have changed so dramatically, that a reassessment of policy was warranted ?
Lord knows I had to reassess strategies when I was in the corporate world, and we weren't dealing with anything remotely close to this situation.

Last edited:
I love the “selfish choices” crowd. My body, my choice. You keep wearing your muzzle there pal.
My body, my choice. Haha
What an ignorant statement. Hope your family doesn't catch it from you. Guess you haven't seen all the idiots proclaiming the same thing only to catch covid and die, huh?

The lack of energy is 3-4 times worse. My symptoms have stayed the same for 15 days now. Sinus like headache on a regular basis. Just taking a shower wears you out. With the flu the symptoms for better much quicker.
I have read that some folks are so weak, they have to crawl on their hand and knees from their bed, to get to the bathroom.

Fauci said this of his original advice to not wear face masks: “I don’t regret anything I said then because in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct. We were told in our task-force meetings that we have a serious problem with the lack of PPEs and masks for the health providers who are putting themselves in harm’s way every day to take care of sick people.”

When it became clear that the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don’t know they’re infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks. And also, it soon became clear that we had enough protective equipment and that cloth masks and homemade masks were as good as masks that you would buy from surgical supply stores,” he told interviewer Norah O’Donnell, the managing editor of CBS VIAC, -1.21% Evening News. “But our knowledge changed and our realization of the state of the outbreak changed.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/d...na-non-grata-in-trumps-white-house-2020-07-17

this was stated over and over- advice for Americans to not BUY MASKS was in response to our idiotic hoarding behavior buying stores out of TP and food. If they allowed us to do that with masks there would have been none available for health care workers. They tried to stop it by telling people not to buy them- it didn’t work- so then they had “experts” lie and say they were ineffective to stem the tide of hoarding.

There is a virus but it's up to the person's health on what happens next...employee with 1 kidney that is not her own and type 1 diabetes got a positive covid test...back to work in 2 weeks....all better

I'm sorry for your friend, but for me wearing a mask or not is my choice...

I keep my distance from other folks, wash my hands with soap and water and will only wear a mask if a store requires me because of their policy, not being forced by the looney government officials...

Wearing a mask, specially in the heat is not good for anyone, unless you like breathing in your own carbon dioxide...
Thats why America will need a vaccine...other countries force their people to abide by the rules or you go to jail or disappear..seems to be working

We are currently seeing the product of the "alternative facts" President.
To be fair to Trump his biggest mistake was listening to the advice of Falsei. If Trump had shut down international air travel when Falsei said it was not necessary to do so thousands of lives could have be saved.

Thats why America will need a vaccine...other countries force their people to abide by the rules or you go to jail or disappear..seems to be working

1. Vaccine is not guaranteed

2. the difference between other countries and this country is gun ownership.. try forcing people to wear masks, or go to jail. Why do you think guns and ammo are hard to find? People are stocking up for a reason and it’s not to hunt deer. Between the COVID and the political divide it’s gonna get worse.

BTW I do wear a mask and I hope and pray there is at least treatment soon. I’m not sold on a vaccine. I think treatments are more likely. IMO.

1. Vaccine is not guaranteed

2. the difference between other countries and this country is gun ownership.. try forcing people to wear masks, or go to jail. Why do you think guns and ammo are hard to find? People are stocking up for a reason and it’s not to hunt deer. Between the COVID and the political divide it’s gonna get worse.

BTW I do wear a mask and I hope and pray there is at least treatment soon. I’m not sold on a vaccine. I think treatments are more likely. IMO.
Exactly, thats why america will live w it for the foreseeable future

There you go...proof it's all a hoax.
I never said it was a "hoax". You made that up.

However, I do find it interesting that it is a worldwide pandemic that has gone on for several months, South Carolina is considered a "hot spot" and I only know of one person personally who has tested positive.

Fauci said this of his original advice to not wear face masks: “I don’t regret anything I said then because in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct. We were told in our task-force meetings that we have a serious problem with the lack of PPEs and masks for the health providers who are putting themselves in harm’s way every day to take care of sick people.”

When it became clear that the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don’t know they’re infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks. And also, it soon became clear that we had enough protective equipment and that cloth masks and homemade masks were as good as masks that you would buy from surgical supply stores,” he told interviewer Norah O’Donnell, the managing editor of CBS VIAC, -1.21% Evening News. “But our knowledge changed and our realization of the state of the outbreak changed.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/d...na-non-grata-in-trumps-white-house-2020-07-17

this was stated over and over- advice for Americans to not BUY MASKS was in response to our idiotic hoarding behavior buying stores out of TP and food. If they allowed us to do that with masks there would have been none available for health care workers. They tried to stop it by telling people not to buy them- it didn’t work- so then they had “experts” lie and say they were ineffective to stem the tide of hoarding.

I get it and I actually believe every word of it. The problem I had was why not tell the people we won’t allow you to buy masks during this shut down in March. Once we have enough then we will allow you to buy.

Now the other side is using this as propaganda that “the experts said masks didn’t work” It’s unfortunate the government chose to lie and people died from that lie.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
yeah, the kids catching it isn't the real issue. The staff catching it could be and the kids taking it home to parents/grandparents could definitely be an issue.
Again, though, they're also believed to be the least likely to transmit it. IDK what's right. This may turn out like the reopening of the state, scaled back later.

However, I do find it interesting that it is a worldwide pandemic that has gone on for several months, South Carolina is considered a "hot spot" and I only know of one person personally who has tested positive.
Please...Eyeroll

child-please.jpg

I’m seeing a lot of hope in this thread today... just a few fools who are still “too cool” to wear masks.

I’ve lost one personal friend to Covid and one of my friends lost both parents to it. I have a coworker who I last met with in person on June 13th. He didn’t wear a mask. I did. He’s had a fever for 15 days straight and struggles to walk up a flight of stairs. He’s mid 40s and was active, golfed weekly, and was in good health.

I wonder what it’s going to take for the anti-maskers to change their minds. 500,000 deaths? A million? Losing close friends or family to Covid? Or are they just so belligerent that they’re going to refuse to wear a mask out of spite?

Best wishes for a full recovery to those on here affected. Hospitals are full and businesses are re-closing because of so many new cases. Don’t be one of them. Be smart... wear a mask and avoid going places where people don’t wear them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT