ADVERTISEMENT

This is a total low point for the university

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
As the academic year ends, its hard to think of a lower point for the university.

Another lame athletic year. Football and men's basketball had absolutely terrible years and baseball was very mediocre and had the annual crap the bed trip to Hoover. Women's basketball is the only athletic program at the entire university that even sniffs elite status. Even our women's golf team, ranked #1 couldn't win the SEC and went into the NCAAs as the national #1 seed and didn't even make it to match play finishing in 12th place.

And on the University leadership side it has been a horrendous year. We currently have an interim Provost and interim President while leadership of USC (including the BOT) has become a total joke.

Under the direction of AD Ray Tanner, there simply is not currently a culture of winning and championship expectations across our athletic teams. You could see it in Kington's mid-game interview today....boldly making excuses on national tv because he knows its ok with his AD. Total embarrassment. I think its depressing.

2zoktxy.gif

As the academic year ends, its hard to think of a lower point for the university.

Another lame athletic year. Football and men's basketball had absolutely terrible years and baseball was very mediocre and had the annual crap the bed trip to Hoover. Women's basketball is the only athletic program at the entire university that even sniffs elite status. Even our women's golf team, ranked #1 couldn't win the SEC and went into the NCAAs as the national #1 seed and didn't even make it to match play finishing in 12th place.

And on the University leadership side it has been a horrendous year. We currently have an interim Provost and interim President while leadership of USC (including the BOT) has become a total joke.

Under the direction of AD Ray Tanner, there simply is not currently a culture of winning and championship expectations across our athletic teams. You could see it in Kington's mid-game interview today....boldly making excuses on national tv because he knows its ok with his AD. Total embarrassment. I think its depressing.
A sad sad little fan.

This is how you decided to spend your time?

Ha! You haven't been around here long have ya? First few years of Hyman were abysmal.
If it wasn't for Tanner he would've been gone sooner, before A&M canned him.

We've been average to bad in football for 100 years. Four good one under SOS.
Our baseball program will be in the tourney.
Football will rise again.
Basketball will fire Frank, and begin a new chapter.

Again....no one refuting anything I have said, just making excuses and hurling insults.
Would you listen if anybody did?
Here is a try:

WBB made the final four again right? Won the SEC? There is some championship action for you. Not my favorite sport but probably above college baseball or on par with it for relevance on a national stage. I realize you made mention of them but you cannot say there is not a culture of winning and championship expectations within the athletic department and gloss over a program that is winning championships!

FB- yeah! Last two years sucked! But that is why we replaced the coach with a “Carolina guy” who has his head on right and is changing things in a hurry! I am more excited about the direction of our program now than I have been in years.

The leadership/President mess has been ugly but the result is we got Pastides back who was one of the best presidents we have had in generations. He is smart, enthusiastic, loves athletics and can deal with the bureaucracy better than anyone in my memory.

There is always more than one way to look at things. I get it that all of this frustrated venting is from people who are mad about the loss today- but there are more positives than you are letting on. I have lived through much worse times as a Gamecock- WINLESS seasons and basketball teams much worse than any Martin has fielded. There are better times ahead, but I can’t tell you how soon they will get here or how much better they will be and that unknown is what keeps us interested as fans!

I agree with your assessment almost completely. But you are overselling it a bit to say that the women's basketball ball team is sniffing elite status. Pretty sure they are there in spades.

Reactions: yemacock

I will chime in on this. It is frustrating but looking back, we didn’t win our first bowl game until 1995. We won our first national championship in any sport (women’s track) in the early 2000’s. We won 2 baseball championships and a women’s basketball championship in the 2010’s decade.

We are in a great conference, facilities have improved tremendously! I remember being an independent in all sports back in the 70’s, not bad for football but a death knell for basketball. This is a challenging time but we have come a long ways. The one thing I will say is we need a really good presidential hire.

Ha! You haven't been around here long have ya? First few years of Hyman were abysmal.
If it wasn't for Tanner he would've been gone sooner, before A&M canned him.

We've been average to bad in football for 100 years. Four good one under SOS.
Our baseball program will be in the tourney.
Football will rise again.
Basketball will fire Frank, and begin a new chapter.
The football team is horrible. We have good RBs everything else on offense is just bad. Our D is a joke. We will give up around 30 points a game, you watch.

I will chime in on this. It is frustrating but looking back, we didn’t win our first bowl game until 1995. We won our first national championship in any sport (women’s track) in the early 2000’s. We won 2 baseball championships and a women’s basketball championship in the 2010’s decade.

We are in a great conference, facilities have improved tremendously! I remember being an independent in all sports back in the 70’s, not bad for football but a death knell for basketball. This is a challenging time but we have come a long ways. The one thing I will say is we need a really good presidential hire.
Sent daughter to Carolina. Can't disagree with this post at all.

I can't think of a single year with more overall downsides than this year for the university.

Never say that as a Gamecock fan, it can and will get worse than this. Whatever you think the low point is, it can get worse. At least we have WBB, for many years we didn't even have that.

Your post is spot on! I have said it many times over the last 61 years "at least things can't get any worse" but somehow it never fails, things find away to get worse.

Reactions: Cocky 45

Now why drag Holderman into this?……..his grave is yet cold.

I’m still crying about going from basking in those 11 win seasons, beating Clemson 5 times in a row, being ranked top ten, playing in decent bowls and winning. To........ Being lucky if we have 4 wins a season, no hopes of beating Clemson for the foreseeable future, not really expecting to make the top 25 anymore and not even being bowl elgible. All while under a new Coaching staff and seemingly going nowhere for 5 years!!! Last season we still couldn’t make a bowl and weren’t good enough to be ranked, the last bowl we played in we got blown out by an ACC team.

Being a Carolina fan is a hard job these days.

Last edited:

I understand why you might feel like this, especially after the lackluster baseball performance today, but consider what has improved in just one year:

1. WBB will actually hang a recognized Final Four banner and future is extremely bright.
2. Baseball will actually make the NCAA tourney with decent chance to make Supers.
3. Beamer > Muschamp
4. Pastides > Calislen
5. CFM's health is better and should allow certainty about MBB future into/after next season.

I know it's not the greatest list, but at least to me, these are positive developments compared to just a year ago.

It's been an abysmal year. The women's golf team added to the ignominy over the past few days. Failure to launch at the NCAA tournament though highly touted. Just another disappointment.
And let's not forget track and field. Both men's and women's teams have been really bad for the last decade. At one time the women were formidable having won 3 SEC championships and the national title in 2002. Curtis Frye is still the coach. What has happened there?

Reactions: king ward
And let's not forget track and field. Both men's and women's teams have been really bad for the last decade. At one time the women were formidable having won 3 SEC championships and the national title in 2002. Curtis Frye is still the coach. What has happened there?
One big issue was that our facilities had fallen far behind and made it difficult to recruit. The Carolina Indoor Track and Field Complex was completed in 2019 and the outdoor facility, the Sheila and Morris Cregger Track, was just recently completed.

Agree with the gist of what you are saying. When clempson says they are "All In," it strictly means FB and that laser beam focus has brought them championships. USC on the otherhand tries to bring equity across all their sports programs. As a result, you reap the gist of your argument more times than not.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Agree with the gist of what you are saying. When clempson says they are "All In," it strictly means FB and that laser beam focus has brought them championships. USC on the otherhand tries to bring equity across all their sports programs. As a result, you reap the gist of your argument more times than not.
THAT is actually the big complaint on Clemson's sports boards. They absolutely hate that DRad only seems to care about football and is letting their baseball and other programs wither on the vine. They are calling for his head on a platter after this baseball season. They are pissed that he lied about the reasons he gave for attempting to cut the track & field program. DRad is what he showed at GaTech and the Clemson fans do not like it.

Last edited:
I don't disagree on your comments about Clemspon but when I think about where I would like to see Carolina athletics moving, I look more at successful departments in the SEC. Programs like Florida and Alabama and Georgia seem to have a departmental culture (maybe rooted in football success) of competing for the SEC in every sport. Their athletes and coaches talk about it all the time. As strong as our conference is, if you are competing for our conference, then you are relevant on the national stage too. Florida just captured its 250th SEC title. Even Georgia has 173. Yes, I know they have been SEC schools much longer than us but in almost 30 years, South Carolina has only won a handful of SEC titles across all sports. And even when we have strong teams going into SEC title or NCAA play, we often crap the bed. See this year in baseball and women's golf.

Gamecock athletics since 2010 should have taught us all that the old "you cant win at Carolina" is not true. We have seen sustained success in football, womens basketball and baseball at very high levels. We really need our fan's knee jerk reaction of making excuses for mediocrity turn to more aggressive calls on the BOT, AD and coaches that the acceptance of this mediocrity is not ok.

You are absolutely correct! Well said!

THAT is actually the big complaint on Clemson's sports boards. They absolutely hate that DRad only seems to care about football and is letting their baseball and other programs wither on the vine. They are calling for his head on a platter after this baseball season. They are pissed that he lied about the reasons he gave for attempting cut the track & field program. DRad is what he showed at GaTech and the Clemson fans do not like it.
Nothing could be further from the truth. DRad has been excellent in his role. He has led major fundraising efforts and facilities expansions/upgrades and the AD has a lot of cash on hand. He has great support from the BOT and fans who have understand what his job is. That said, he will have to make a decision on the direction of the baseball program after this year. Basketball is also under review but Brownell has at least one more year.

edit: He didn't lie about the reasons for cutting track and field. The AD did not take as large of a financial beating as they were expecting last year with the pandemic. Again, they have cash on hand.

Last edited:

South Carolina College closed in 1861 and did not reopen until 1866. that was a low point, too.

Nothing could be further from the truth. DRad has been excellent in his role. He has led major fundraising efforts and facilities expansions/upgrades and the AD has a lot of cash on hand. He has great support from the BOT and fans who have understand what his job is. That said, he will have to make a decision on the direction of the baseball program after this year. Basketball is also under review but Brownell has at least one more year.

edit: He didn't lie about the reasons for cutting track and field. The AD did not take as large of a financial beating as they were expecting last year with the pandemic. Again, they have cash on hand.
Head over to Tigernet. Read several threads.

He did lie....he blamed the cutting of Track & Field on Title IX.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT