ADVERTISEMENT

This is a total low point for the university

The first poster in the thread was pretty much spot on. And he even dressed up the sports side by giving a tip of the hat to women's basketball and to a lesser degree, women's golf. But to the masses, neither of those really matter. It is all about football and men's basketball. That is where the attention and the money are centered. Win at those two sports and nothing else matters. We all know the administrative, and BOT, issues are a laughing stock. But hey, it is USC. There is a history there that must be upheld. They say a great reward awaits for those that suffer. I now discount that as not applicable when you don't even make a serious attempt to win.

I agree with your assessment almost completely. But you are overselling it a bit to say that the women's basketball ball team is sniffing elite status. Pretty sure they are there in spades.
I agree. My words were probably clunky. What I meant to convey is that our women's bball team is definitely elite level, but no other program at the school currently even sniffs that status.

Reactions: SOSUSC
As the academic year ends, its hard to think of a lower point for the university.

Another lame athletic year. Football and men's basketball had absolutely terrible years and baseball was very mediocre and had the annual crap the bed trip to Hoover. Women's basketball is the only athletic program at the entire university that even sniffs elite status. Even our women's golf team, ranked #1 couldn't win the SEC and went into the NCAAs as the national #1 seed and didn't even make it to match play finishing in 12th place.

And on the University leadership side it has been a horrendous year. We currently have an interim Provost and interim President while leadership of USC (including the BOT) has become a total joke.

Under the direction of AD Ray Tanner, there simply is not currently a culture of winning and championship expectations across our athletic teams. You could see it in Kington's mid-game interview today....boldly making excuses on national tv because he knows its ok with his AD. Total embarrassment. I think its depressing.
You really need to step aside. You are miserable all of the time.

Nothing could be further from the truth. DRad has been excellent in his role. He has led major fundraising efforts and facilities expansions/upgrades and the AD has a lot of cash on hand. He has great support from the BOT and fans who have understand what his job is. That said, he will have to make a decision on the direction of the baseball program after this year. Basketball is also under review but Brownell has at least one more year.

edit: He didn't lie about the reasons for cutting track and field. The AD did not take as large of a financial beating as they were expecting last year with the pandemic. Again, they have cash on hand.
If you are a Tiger I understand you defending your school but you have to live in reality. The Clempson AD was absolutely dishonest in his explanation of why he was eliminating the track program. It is the main reason why the lawsuit forced him to change his decision. Well, that and the possibility the lawsuit would bring out all kinds of dirt on Clempson football.

The first poster in the thread was pretty much spot on. And he even dressed up the sports side by giving a tip of the hat to women's basketball and to a lesser degree, women's golf. But to the masses, neither of those really matter. It is all about football and men's basketball. That is where the attention and the money are centered. Win at those two sports and nothing else matters. We all know the administrative, and BOT, issues are a laughing stock. But hey, it is USC. There is a history there that must be upheld. They say a great reward awaits for those that suffer. I now discount that as not applicable when you don't even make a serious attempt to win.
Thanks for your reply and I agree.

I am one of those alums/fans who expects our athletics department to compete across the board. All the pieces are there......top notch conference, good to great facilities, enough $, passionate fanbase, plenty of TV exposure, good school in a good location......its all there. So whats the next excuse du jour for the mediocrity?

It's been an abysmal year. The women's golf team added to the ignominy over the past few days. Failure to launch at the NCAA tournament though highly touted. Just another disappointment.
And on top of that, Ole Miss came out of the weeds today to win the national championship we were chasing this year. Completely sickening.

I did not call you a name. I said you are miserable which you very obviously are. Everytime I log on to this board you are walllowing in it.
Well, I guess thank you for following all my posts so closely.

To me, miserable is the group of our fans who continue to accept this total mediocrity from our athletic department year after year only to sit at their keyboards and personally insult those of us who dare to ask the university to simply do better.

Well, I guess thank you for following all my posts so closely.

To me, miserable is the group of our fans who continue to accept this total mediocrity from our athletic department year after year only to sit at their keyboards and personally insult those of us who dare to ask the university to simply do better.
I just think some fans are not going to be happy until Ray is gone! Pressure to get rid of Holbrooke, he did it, Kingston isn't good enough. Pressure to fire Muschamp, he did it, Beamer better turn it around quick or the seat will heat fast! Frank better do something next year or he is likely gone. I have never thought a 4-5 year coaching carousel worked and I could sight many programs that prove that, sometimes you have to settle for a little mediocrity to get where you want to be, that's just me though!

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
As the academic year ends, its hard to think of a lower point for the university.

Another lame athletic year. Football and men's basketball had absolutely terrible years and baseball was very mediocre and had the annual crap the bed trip to Hoover. Women's basketball is the only athletic program at the entire university that even sniffs elite status. Even our women's golf team, ranked #1 couldn't win the SEC and went into the NCAAs as the national #1 seed and didn't even make it to match play finishing in 12th place.

And on the University leadership side it has been a horrendous year. We currently have an interim Provost and interim President while leadership of USC (including the BOT) has become a total joke.

Under the direction of AD Ray Tanner, there simply is not currently a culture of winning and championship expectations across our athletic teams. You could see it in Kington's mid-game interview today....boldly making excuses on national tv because he knows its ok with his AD. Total embarrassment. I think its depressing.

Come on now. Anyone can have a bad century!

Reactions: USC2USC
I just think some fans are not going to be happy until Ray is gone! Pressure to get rid of Holbrooke, he did it, Kingston isn't good enough. Pressure to fire Muschamp, he did it, Beamer better turn it around quick or the seat will heat fast! Frank better do something next year or he is likely gone. I have never thought a 4-5 year coaching carousel worked and I could sight many programs that prove that, sometimes you have to settle for a little mediocrity to get where you want to be, that's just me though!
I agree its not good for a program to get into the coaching carousel, but asking a Carolina fan to just accept a little more mediocrity is like telling a 400 lb guy to just have another piece of cake.

Lots of our fans right now are just checking out because they are tired of it. Don't assume they will ever be back.

Reactions: tailgatecock
I agree its not good for a program to get into the coaching carousel, but asking a Carolina fan to just accept a little more mediocrity is like telling a 400 lb guy to just have another piece of cake.

Lots of our fans right now are just checking out because they are tired of it. Don't assume they will ever be back.

I have too many of my Gamecock friends who just no longer care. That is true.

A mature post...that doesn't go over well around here.

Reactions: Tmac069
In the immortal word of Steve Spurrier, "it is what it is."

Kingston is doing okay. Frank is "rebuilding" after nearly a decade. Beamer will get his shot.

I hate to admit it but I've stopped caring so much. Maybe it's other responsibilities. Maybe the idiotic Muschamp hire and inevitable flame-out did me in. It's probably both. Either way, my days of driving to Columbia and dumping my disposable income into the program are over. I'll enjoy the games from my house.

The biggest failure at Carolina was not being able to parlay the success of Steve Spurrier. Why our program didnt take off and become a consistent player in the SEC is beyond me. The only thing it could be was our dismal history and reputation. We should have had the top football players in the Country wanting to come here yet we still could only pull in decent recruiting classes. How else do you explain it? Hell we beat the brakes off of Clemson 5 freaking years in a row and they never slowed down and now look. Its absolutely frustrating to see the heights we reached and being unable to maintain it. I'm hoping Beamer can pull us back up, he knows what we can do and if we give him time I think he will do it.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
The biggest failure at Carolina was not being able to parlay the success of Steve Spurrier. Why our program didnt take off and become a consistent player in the SEC is beyond me. The only thing it could be was our dismal history and reputation. We should have had the top football players in the Country wanting to come here yet we still could only pull in decent recruiting classes. How else do you explain it? Hell we beat the brakes off of Clemson 5 freaking years in a row and they never slowed down and now look. Its absolutely frustrating to see the heights we reached and being unable to maintain it. I'm hoping Beamer can pull us back up, he knows what we can do and if we give him time I think he will do it.

Because our next head was not cut out for the job.

But in all seriousness we DID parlay Spurrier's success. We have been able to transform our facilities in 10 years. That transformation, along with his tenure will serve as the foundation for success for years to come.

Reactions: Tmac069 and vacock#
I don't know. We did once have a President that allegedly spent tons of school money on this male student intern harem.

And also if you remember, Spurrier said from the day he arrived at Carolina one of the things holding the program back was the historically low expectations of the fan base. And he repeated it the entire time he was here.

Because our next head was not cut out for the job.

But in all seriousness we DID parlay Spurrier's success. We have been able to transform our facilities in 10 years. That transformation, along with his tenure will serve as the foundation for success for years to come.
The facilities are wonderful but why did the recruiting suffer after 3 straight 11 win seasons?

If you fire a coach every 3/4 years, you will never have a sports program built....period. Have to have some patience in the process.

I don't make any excuses for Martin, he's been here plenty long enough. Kingston hasn't and he is rebuilding the program Holbrook left....not the one Tanner left. Thankfully, we didn't hire Lee, who seems to have major clubhouse issues and has accordding to quite a few lost control of his team.

It's been an abysmal year. The women's golf team added to the ignominy over the past few days. Failure to launch at the NCAA tournament though highly touted. Just another disappointment.
Yea, went in the Number 1 ranked team and then layed an egg the first round that made it difficult to make up ground. Didn't make it to final 8 match play. Ole Miss wins it all.

• Angry
Reactions: king ward
Come on now. Anyone can have a bad century!

Haven’t you heard!

Sometimes you just got to settle for a “little mediocrity” to get where you want to be.

Good lawd.

Another incredibly blissful, yet predictable, perspective ftom the sheeple.

Anyone who isn’t willfully ignorant or a simple lap dog, knows we hired a Magoo as AD.

He certainly isn’t solely to blame for the perpetuation of mediocrity that is UofSC, but he absolutely embodies it as AD.

And also if you remember, Spurrier said from the day he arrived at Carolina one of the things holding the program back was the historically low expectations of the fan base. And he repeated it the entire time he was here.
That bit him in the butt. When fans were expecting more after his success, he quit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT