ADVERTISEMENT

This is a total low point for the university

As the academic year ends, its hard to think of a lower point for the university.

Another lame athletic year. Football and men's basketball had absolutely terrible years and baseball was very mediocre and had the annual crap the bed trip to Hoover. Women's basketball is the only athletic program at the entire university that even sniffs elite status. Even our women's golf team, ranked #1 couldn't win the SEC and went into the NCAAs as the national #1 seed and didn't even make it to match play finishing in 12th place.

And on the University leadership side it has been a horrendous year. We currently have an interim Provost and interim President while leadership of USC (including the BOT) has become a total joke.

Under the direction of AD Ray Tanner, there simply is not currently a culture of winning and championship expectations across our athletic teams. You could see it in Kington's mid-game interview today....boldly making excuses on national tv because he knows its ok with his AD. Total embarrassment. I think its depressing.
I will refute it. Caslen was fired. If you prefer to say he resigned that's fine. A huge step in the right direction. You bring back the most popular president at the University until we find a replacement. The football coach was fired and things are moving on a better direction by getting rid of Mus champ
As you stated the women's hoops team are a national power. The baseball team will be playing in the postseason unlike last year. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

We are picked next to last in football for 2021, the same I'm sure for men's Basketball, the Baseball team could absolutely turn it around and finish strong but that is unlikely.
We can guess that football will turn around in 3-5 years (I hope so!) I believe Basketball will be longer.
Seems all we have is hope because right now we have nothing else.
I suggest we all go out fishing and enjoy the summer. I know I will!!!

I will refute it. Caslen was fired. If you prefer to say he resigned that's fine. A huge step in the right direction. You bring back the most popular president at the University until we find a replacement. The football coach was fired and things are moving on a better direction by getting rid of Mus champ
As you stated the women's hoops team are a national power. The baseball team will be playing in the postseason unlike last year. Doesn't seem so bad to me.
Much of this sounds like whitewashing at its best (worst). It completely glosses over the sad facts that Caslen and Muschamp were even hired in the first place.

No serious R-1/D-1 institution would've hired Caslen, were it not for our ass backwards BOT and the gubna.

And no serious AD that knew what he/she was doing would've hired a proven failure like Muschamp.

Let's not give credit to the arsonists for putting out the fires.

Reactions: USC2USC
My original post was not so much singularly about the current struggles of UofSC athletics or the dumpster fire that is current university leadership. It was about the double whammy of both happening at the same time.

Anyone who works in academia understands how damaging it is for a school to be without permanent leadership in both the Office of the Provost and the President's Office at the same time. And folks from the outside understand there is systemic incompetence at any school that would let that happen.

What does that have to do with Spurrier?
Goes to your point about Spurrier saying fans should demand more "biting him in the butt." Many fans turned around and defended the disaster that was Will Muschamp every step of the way -- even when it was painfully obvious he was going to kill the program.

I would hardly call that "fans demanding more."

What does that have to do with Spurrier?
Goes to your point about Spurrier saying fans should demand more "biting him in the butt." Many fans turned around and defended the disaster that was Will Muschamp every step of the way -- even when it was painfully obvious he was going to kill the program.

Lol. Of course this would be your comeback.
I’m just asking who’s defending the previous head coach, “fiercely” as you say. It’s just not something I’ve seen. Who are they? All these people? Or is this something you’ve dreamed up? I’m just curious.

Muschamp has nothing to do with the point I am making about Spurrier's behavior.

I’m just asking who’s defending the previous head coach, “fiercely” as you say. It’s just not something I’ve seen. Who are they? All these people? Or is this something you’ve dreamed up? I’m just curious.
Please. Just because the rats fled the sunken ship after he was finally fired doesn't mean they didn't defend him until the bitter end.

You were here the whole time and you know good and damn well they were here too. There were at least a hundred threads over the last several years where they were bashing any fan that wanted better for our program.

Muschamp has nothing to do with the point I am making about Spurrier's behavior.
Sure he does. You claimed that Spurrier saying fans should demand more "bit him in the butt." How can that be true when so many fans were so fiercely loyal to a proven loser like Muschamp?

The only thing that bit Spurrier in the butt was Father Time. Spurrier freely admitted he felt he was too old to keep up with the modern recruiting game.

• Haha
Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Please. Just because the rats fled the sunken ship after he was finally fired doesn't mean they didn't defend him until the bitter end.

You were here the whole time and you know good and damn well they were here too. There were at least a hundred threads over the last several years where they were bashing any fan that wanted better for our program.
No see what you did here is change your entire premise. You’re conflating defending the program with defending a coach. And I’m sure you’ve put yourself on the good side, while anyone who took a different position is a “rat”. Am I right?

Sure he does. You claimed that Spurrier saying fans should demand more "bit him in the butt." How can that be true when so many fans were so fiercely loyal to a proven loser like Muschamp?

The only thing that bit Spurrier in the butt was Father Time. Spurrier freely admitted he felt he was too old to keep up with the modern recruiting game.
You don't understand my point. Let me simplify it for you. Spurrier said fans should not accept losing. Then when he started losing it was a different story. He quit. Muschamp has nothing to do with my point.

No see what you did here is change your entire premise. You’re conflating defending the program with defending a coach. And I’m sure you’ve put yourself on the good side, while anyone who took a different position is a “rat”. Am I right?
No, what I did was point out those that defended the loser coach at the expense of the program. Those that pointed out the obvious were constantly shouted down by the Muschamp sycophants and told to "go pull for another team" and other nonsense.

No, what I did was point out those that defended the loser coach at the expense of the program. Those that pointed out the obvious were constantly shouted down by the Muschamp sycophants and told to "go pull for another team" and other nonsense.
Ok. Back we are. Who are the Muschamp sycophants? I dont remember seeing very many them. In fact the only defenders of Muschamp I remember were his players.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Plus sycophant is a very cynical description. Are you sure that’s what you meant?

You don't understand my point. Let me simplify it for you. Spurrier said fans should not accept losing. Then when he started losing it was a different story. He quit. Muschamp has nothing to do with my point.
I've already addressed his departure and the reasons for it. Did the idea that fans should expect and demand more go with him? Should we have not expected our administration to at least try to keep the ball rolling? And when it was painfully obvious that Muschamp was never going to do it, should we just have accepted our lot in sports life and que sera' sera' all that?

I've already addressed his departure and the reasons for it. Did the idea that fans should expect and demand more go with him? Should we have not expected our administration to at least try to keep the ball rolling? And when it was painfully obvious that Muschamp was never going to do it, should we just have accepted our lot in sports life and que sera' sera' all that?
When exactly would you say it was objectively obvious that Muschamp wouldn’t get it going? Try to be objective.

Ok. Back we are. Who are the Muschamp sycophants? I dont remember seeing very many them. In fact the only defenders of Muschamp I remember were his players.
Sure you do. You're just playing your typical devil's advocate game -- which is why I said that would be your response.

If you want to argue the sky is green, knock yourself out. You can find some some sucker to play along. Enjoy!

🙄Once again, I am talking about Spurrier, not what fans may or may not have done.

When exactly would you say it was objectively obvious that Muschamp wouldn’t get it going? Try to be objective.
Muschamp getting fired from Florida with all the facility, staff, and recruiting advantages he had there. That, should have been a clue.

I'm not even an SC fan. Can it get more objective than that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
Muschamp getting fired from Florida with all the facility, staff, and recruiting advantages he had there. That, should have been a clue.

I'm not even an SC. Can it get more objective than that?
You mean the same Florida that asked Steve Spurrier for his resume?

Florida didn't have the one advantage that South Carolina had before either program hired Muschamp as their Head Coach. UF hadn't seen him already fail. SC had.

Spurrier didn't leave Florida as a failure. Muschamp did.

With all the advantages held by the program in Gainesville Muschamp still couldn't keep Florida at a repectable level in the SEC East.

What hope did Mushamp have succeeding in Columbia minus most of those advantages?

Reactions: vacock#
Florida didn't have the one advantage that South Carolina had before either program hired Muschamp as their Head Coach. UF hadn't seen him already fail. SC had.

Spurrier didn't leave Florida as a failure. Muschamp did.

With all the advantages held by the program in Gainesville Muschamp still couldn't keep Florida at a repectable level in the SEC East.

What hope did Mushamp have succeeding in Columbia minus most of those advantages?
Who's Muschamp?

You obviously weren't around in the 60s.
Unfortunately, I was around in the 60s. I became a Gamecock fan circa 1960 when I was 15 years old. And to be upfront I didn't follow the Gamecocks nearly to the degree that I do today but I did follow them as best as I could. There wasn't nearly the sports coverage we got back in 1960 that we get today, especially for the Gamecocks in the Greenville area. I remember some low points but as a whole it seems this is the worst of the worst, considering athletics as well as academics.

Unfortunately, I was around in the 60s. I became a Gamecock fan circa 1960 when I was 15 years old. And to be upfront I didn't follow the Gamecocks nearly to the degree that I do today but I did follow them as best as I could. There wasn't nearly the sports coverage we got back in 1960 that we get today, especially for the Gamecocks in the Greenville area. I remember some low points but as a whole it seems this is the worst of the worst, considering athletics as well as academics.
Not sure how you can fault USC academics these days, especially within athletes, as we are annually among the highest graduation rates for all student atheletes in the SEC.

Reactions: rogue cock
Not sure how you can fault USC academics these days, especially within athletes, as we are annually among the highest graduation rates for all student atheletes in the SEC.

Well, what I was referring to was the situation with the university president resigning. Plus, I see no hope for the near future for football, MBB and baseball being any better than it is today. There is nothing on the horizon that gives me hope for the near future. With that being said, I will still follow my Gamecocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT