ADVERTISEMENT

This is getting social media traction....

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Despite what his haters say, not Caslen, but Tanner probably owns this. Someone needs to fix it.

@uofsc @Bob_Caslen see this is what I was talking about earlier. Even your own student athletes think y’all are killing the home field advantage atmosphere at Founders Park. Someone needs to pay attention and fix this

Ray Tanner said it didnt happen. And the original tweet was deleted.

Why would Tanner try to tamper crowd noise and reactions? To the best of my knowledge, he never did when he was coach....actually encouraged it at times.

It's really bad. There was a couple sitting in the designated student section just across the aisle from me. In the bottom of the 5th, they came down and made them move because they were on the "2nd" row (technically row 5) of the section, and the first 2 rows are supposed to be left vacant. Never mind the fact that from that row you can't get anywhere near the field, and there is a friggin tarp between you and the field too. Again, in the bottom of the 5th. AFTER the same person had removed others that were sitting on the rows in front of us 3 innings earlier.

Last night a group went and sat in a completely empty section and they made them move.

Also, they are harassing anyone who they "think" is a student. There were 2 students sitting behind us, and when they went to get something to eat, we told them we'd watch their seats for them and make sure they weren't harassed.

It's getting ridiculous how they are treating people.

Why would Tanner try to tamper crowd noise and reactions? To the best of my knowledge, he never did when he was coach....actually encouraged it at times.
I'd bet good money O'Sullivan whined to Ray like the little b**** he is because his players got their knickers in a pinch after we kicked their a**es after Hickey grabbed his junk that Friday.

Social media is not backing down to him. This is not a good look for Tanner. Maybe the pressure is getting to him.

Just because people aren’t being forcibly removed from games does not mean that they are being allowed to be fans.

Your staff treating the students like founders is an elementary school library.....

THATS A PROBLEM RAY!!

Fix it!

Ray Tanner said it didnt happen. And the original tweet was deleted.
There may not have been ejections today, but they are harassing students and anyone they think is a student.

They are even harassing the kids that go down to get the balls during warmup tosses.

I tagged Ray and Gamecock Baseball is a few posts today, and replied to Ray's Tweet as well.

And when you're players are complaining about it being too quiet...that's a BIG problem.

But Ray's not going to do anything about it. He's been getting complaints for years about how the event staff treats fans, and it's just gotten worse and worse. A friend of mine was kicked out a few years back for telling Drew Pomeranz that he should have hustled to cover 1B to protect his No-No he had going. They kicked him out for that.

The original tweet said 18 students got kicked out of the stadium. Now its deleted,

It's really bad. There was a couple sitting in the designated student section just across the aisle from me. In the bottom of the 5th, they came down and made them move because they were on the "2nd" row (technically row 5) of the section, and the first 2 rows are supposed to be left vacant. Never mind the fact that from that row you can't get anywhere near the field, and there is a friggin tarp between you and the field too. Again, in the bottom of the 5th. AFTER the same person had removed others that were sitting on the rows in front of us 3 innings earlier.

Last night a group went and sat in a completely empty section and they made them move.

Also, they are harassing anyone who they "think" is a student. There were 2 students sitting behind us, and when they went to get something to eat, we told them we'd watch their seats for them and make sure they weren't harassed.

It's getting ridiculous how they are treating people.
It's a control thing, as in being paranoid about even appearing to be losing control.

Social media is not backing down to him. This is not a good look for Tanner. Maybe the pressure is getting to him.

Just because people aren’t being forcibly removed from games does not mean that they are being allowed to be fans.

Your staff treating the students like founders is an elementary school library.....

THATS A PROBLEM RAY!!

Fix it!

So eventhough it didnt happen. We're going to pretend like it did?

Reactions: budman1976
So eventhough it didnt happen. We're going to pretend like it did?
If you read the thread, you will see people talking about how they are treating the fans. However, just because there were not ejections today, that does not take away from the fact there have been regular ejections during and since the UF series. Some just for yelling something as simple as 'Blue - you need glasses".

Yeah...I dare them to try to kick me out for telling Blue he's blind.

While watching today I noticed the event staff talking to some people behind visitor dugout. During the inning it appeared they were being moved. Might have been nothing, but in recent years I have observed some fans being harassed for nothing approaching unsportsmanlike behavior. Maybe our event staff should visit other stadiums in SEC to see home team advantage, i.e LSU etc.

But like you said, no one being ejected doesn't equal home crowd not getting harassed. 🤷‍♂️
I'm interested how they are going to treat fans now with regard to seating and all these covid rules. I mean...fussing at the kids because they go down to wait on the warm up balls? C'mon! And kicking a group out of a section that NO ONE else is sitting in? That's a bit damn ridiculous.

They are even fussing at people if you stop to talk to someone for a little bit.

That's when he was bustin' his balls to be the next AD, and he wanted to win and otherwise please the fans before he made his move on Pastidis.

Do the individual schools control the number of people allowed into the stadium? I was under the impression that it was done by the SEC. If not, we are pretty damn stupid not to allow our fans an opportunity to enjoy outdoor events at this point and support our teams. I also did not see one mask in the stands at the Ole Miss game. Time for us to get past this control bs and let people get on with their lives!!!

• Love
Reactions: 92Pony and Jbouton2
Do the individual schools control the number of people allowed into the stadium? I was under the impression that it was done by the SEC. If not, we are pretty damn stupid not to allow our fans an opportunity to enjoy outdoor events at this point and support our teams. I also did not see one mask in the stands at the Ole Miss game. Time for us to get past this control bs and let people get on with their lives!!!

Some of it is each state. Texas ans Mississippi are more open now than SC. Arkansas is allowing something like 60% capacity to Baum, which is around 6,000. The Mississippi schools are 100%.

Clemson was allowed twice as many for their spring game as USC will be so that is an athletic department choice as is this baseball capacity

Two car funeral.

Only at Carolina does crap like this happen.

Ray, if you or any of your staff is reading this, do something positive! Quit trying to be Mr. Nice Guy all the time. It's not your job to make things easier for the competition.

I still haven't forgotten that you bailed out on Dawn when Mizzou trashed her, our school and our fans.

I had a feeling things would turn out like this as the season went on and the virus started letting up, controlling the crowd, where they sit, how they’re protecting themselves and behaving can’t be any easy task! But, tossing people for a little over zealous heckling is further pc’ing of america, lord let’s not offend anyone with a little good natured ribbing! It is baseball!

They were expecting 11K today in Oxford.
How I miss a full ballpark.
I'm really beginning to doubt our NCAA Regional Bid will be for full capacity.
I've read different things and thought you may know. Who has authority to control how many to allow for attendance? The conference, state government, university? TIA

I'm a season ticket holder for 12 years and have never had a issue or seen anyone thrown out for heckling. I've seen people removed for being vulgar though. Some of yall are turning this into more than it is. In no way does Rays letter even hint at he wants fans to sit on their hands and keep their mouth shut. He just doesn't want fans acting like jackasses. There was obviously something brought up to the attention of the administration and it was probably after the UF game where some fans decided to stay and give UF players a mouthful. It's all good fun until tempers flair and like some of the UF players confronted some fans, that's when it goes to far. I've coached and watched for over 20 years, and there are some who don't know where that line is you don't cross. I have no problem with Ray trying to get out ahead of it.

Last edited:
I've read different things and thought you may know. Who has authority to control how many to allow for attendance? The conference, state government, university? TIA
It doesn't help that the university is located in an urban environment. Is Columbia second only to Nashville in population size for locations of SEC schools? City regulations probably are a factor.

I'm interested how they are going to treat fans now with regard to seating and all these covid rules. I mean...fussing at the kids because they go down to wait on the warm up balls? C'mon! And kicking a group out of a section that NO ONE else is sitting in? That's a bit damn ridiculous.

They are even fussing at people if you stop to talk to someone for a little bit.

Well, if anyone can screw up a good thing it's us as we have seen time and time again.

It doesn't help that the university is located in an urban environment. Is Columbia second only to Nashville in population size for locations of SEC schools? City regulations probably are a factor.

Baton Rouge, Lexington, and Knoxville are larger cities. CoMo, Athens, and College Station are just slightly smaller in population

I was a big heckler in school, I only had a few times when ushers came and tried to stop me, but they are definitely more of the fun police now. I see people having a good time and getting rowdy and you can bet an usher is on their way to put an end to it nowadays.

Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT