ADVERTISEMENT

This is just a guess on my part but I think the honeymoon is over

Wisconsin lost at home to BYU! What? I was watching Auburn/LSU and missed it.

AWFUL day for Big Ten.
The Big 10 better hope Ohio Snakes, State Penn or Iowa wins out, or they once again could be left out of the college football playoffs.

Dmnk3I3WsAA7oCh.0.jpg

How stupid does this look???? The coach should be fired for this alone!!!

As an alumnus, he will get more time. Plus, he's making better money. He gets three years minimum, but the honeymoon won't last that long. He'd better get some players in their quickly.

"there"

So I have NEVER seen you type a grammatical error in a message on this board. I had to call you on it. Laughing

Reactions: king ward
Last edited:
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Traditionally, coaches get a honeymoon period of several years. But there are times when a team is _so_ bad that the honeymoon period has to be shortened. There's not a hard and fast rule, but it's one of those "we know it when we see it situations." Southern Miss knew it when they saw Ellis Johnson turn a 12 win team into a 12 loss team in one season. So far, Taggart and Morris haven't given their programs any reason to keep them around.

Traditionally, coaches get a honeymoon period of several years. But there are times when a team is _so_ bad that the honeymoon period has to be shortened. There's not a hard and fast rule, but it's one of those "we know it when we see it situations." Southern Miss knew it when they saw Ellis Johnson turn a 12 win team into a 12 loss team in one season. So far, Taggart and Morris haven't given their programs any reason to keep them around.
And wasn't that a first-year coach at Arkansas who lost an early-season game to the Citadel in 1992 and was fired that very week? He didn't even get to tap that thing on his honeymoon. That marriage was annulled.

FSU is on the hook for Taggert somewhere in the neighborhood of 21 million. To fire him in the first season would be financially crippling.
There may have to be some serious begging to mega boosters to pony up some big dollars

Having an "up-tempo" offense is nothing special anymore. Even Bama runs it now and they have better personnel than everyone else.

Reactions: king ward
Never knew why they would go to a West Coast guy who wasn't that great to begin with.

That was a time when nobody wanted the Alabame job. Franchione who left for A&M, Bowden turned it down twice. If Saban hadn’t failed so miserably in the NFL, they might still be stuck in that cycle.

That was a time when nobody wanted the Alabame job. Franchione who left for A&M, Bowden turned it down twice. If Saban hadn’t failed so miserably in the NFL, they might still be stuck in that cycle.
A good coach fails in the NFL because the owner and/or the GM won't get him the players he needs and gets rid of the players he wants to keep. As long as Jimmy Johnson had control of personnel decisions at Dallas, they were going to be a dynasty. But once Jerry Jones got jealous of the credit Johnson received and took over complete control, even firing Johnson, they lost the edge within two years. As for Saban, there was never any doubt he could coach.

Having an "up-tempo" offense is nothing special anymore. Even Bama runs it now and they have better personnel than everyone else.

That's exactly right. The way the officials allow the defense to substitute when the offense does has neutralized much of the effect, which was fortunate for the game. Teams that can run up-tempo with a heavy emphasis on the RPO are the teams that are gouging people.

Reactions: DarkCock
A good coach fails in the NFL because the owner and/or the GM won't get him the players he needs and gets rid of the players he wants to keep. As long as Jimmy Johnson had control of personnel decisions at Dallas, they were going to be a dynasty. But once Jerry Jones got jealous of the credit Johnson received and took over complete control, even firing Johnson, they lost the edge within two years. As for Saban, there was never any doubt he could coach.

It was more personality with him and Spurrier vs Johnson, I believed at the time. I don't think they are cut out for the NFL, because they want to be the king. Players loved Jimmy Johnson and wanted to play for him. The only guy who gets away with the Saban personality in the NFL is Belichick, and that's only because he has Tom Brady (and is close friends with him).

It was more personality with him and Spurrier vs Johnson, I believed at the time. I don't think they are cut out for the NFL, because they want to be the king. Players loved Jimmy Johnson and wanted to play for him. The only guy who gets away with the Saban personality in the NFL is Belichick, and that's only because he has Tom Brady (and is close friends with him).
How many NFL coaches have been successful while being mainly dealt out of personnel decisions?

FSU is on the hook for Taggert somewhere in the neighborhood of 21 million. To fire him in the first season would be financially crippling.
There may have to be some serious begging to mega boosters to pony up some big dollars

Although I don't see it happening, Taggart could possibly turn out to be a decent coach. Not a great coach but maybe good enough for him to hang around for about three years and reduce that $21 Million somewhat.

Ably assisted by Larry New.EyerolljumpingsmileLaughing

I heard or read from a very reliable source that Bell would not have been fired, at least after the first year, if he had fired Larry New. Supposedly, the AD gave him a choice of firing Larry New or being fired himself.

I heard or read from a very reliable source that Bell would not have been fired, at least after the first year, if he had fired Larry New. Supposedly, the AD gave him a choice of firing Larry New or being fired himself.
New was a manic cheerleader and nothing more ..He brought no technical knowledge to the table.

Nope. The great ones had their hand on the pulse, form Halas, to Lombardi, to Shula, to Belichik, to whomever. You have to get the coach what the coach thinks he needs.

It doesn’t really work like that anymore. Hasn’t in a LONG time.

And wasn't that a first-year coach at Arkansas who lost an early-season game to the Citadel in 1992 and was fired that very week? He didn't even get to tap that thing on his honeymoon. That marriage was annulled.
Did you really type that...or is your grandson using your username?

I went with a friend to the Michigan game and ran into an FSU grad/fan who was there with his brother. He is not a fan of Taggart and said he was ready for him to go, and that was BEFORE their game yesterday.

Third year coach. Didn’t sound right, since I saw Danny coach his first year there, so had to look it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT