ADVERTISEMENT

This is requested every year on the anniversary of 9/11

B

Brian Shoemaker

The link is below.

It's FGF on 9/11/2001. FGF is/was our free forum here on Gamecock Central. The Insiders Forum would debut the following month, if I recall correctly.

To read chronologically, you'll have to go to the bottom and scroll up.

It was a Tuesday. USC had defeated Georgia the previous Saturday and was scheduled to play Bowling Green the next Saturday (coached by Urban Meyer).

LINK: http://gamecockcentral.com/20010911.htm

The link is below.

It's FGF on 9/11/2001. FGF is/was our free forum here on Gamecock Central. The Insiders Forum would debut the following month, if I recall correctly.

It was a Tuesday. USC had defeated Georgia the previous Saturday and was scheduled to play Bowling Green the next Saturday (coached by Urban Meyer).

I'll never forget that day, and yes, you will see Gaimcock within that thread! I'll never forget that my boss of the company that I worked for back then was actually in downtown New York as all that took place.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Thank you Shoe! I remember reading through the posts as it happened. I'll never forget how I felt that day, helpless, frustrated, MAD!
It truly changed me and I have never been able to look at a plane in the sky the same way since then.

The link is below.

Thank you!

A day that I won't forget. I can remember almost every little detail that I did that day...

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The link is below.

Thanks for posting. I read this every year.

I still remember watching the second plane hit. I was at C School in Dam Neck and we were kept on the base for over 24 hours while things were sorted out. Couldn't get a call through to my wife, or my mom at the time, it took hours. There were about 100 of us crammed in the front lobby of the school glued to that TV for quite a while, trying to make sense of it all. What a crazy nightmare that was.

Reactions: gtanduga
I am on there somewhere too. We all lost our innocence that Tuesday morning. The weather and shadows are always eerily similar every year on 9/11.
Lest we forget!

Reactions: king ward
Unfortunately I feel like that was the last time US ever tried to pull together and I'm not sure a catastrophe like that will get us there again! Politics try to keep that social divide only to be exponentially increased by the social media craze! I only hope the US could find that common ground we experienced then! I wasn't alive but I understand Pearl Harbor was on another level as my grandfather was part of it!

Reactions: Cybercock
I was at USC on this day 17 years ago. I was walking back to Bates West from my 8am class when the 1st plane hit, though I knew nothing about it. Got in, turned on the computer and was reading through Gamecock Central and saw these exact threads. I figured it was a small plane, maybe an accident or failed attempt as there seemed to be many bombings there. I didn’t turn on the TV until I read on this site that a 2nd plane had hit.

Life hasn’t never been the same since that day. Sure, day to say feels a little more normal, but that day changed this country and this world in so many ways.

Is interesting to see all those usernames. Wonder where many of them are now? I’m sure some have passed away. Hard to believe it’s been 17 years...

I remember that day so well. It still brings back a lot of emotions. Thanks for posting Shoe... I actually have a single post in that thread regarding the Memphis airport.

It was so weird that day. I worked a mile from the airport. At the time Memphis was a hub for Northwest airlines and of course, FedEx. The air traffic in and out was constant. After the FAA grounded all air traffic, the skies were dead calm, so I went by the airport to take a look. I have never seen so many planes scattered about, what seemed like hundreds parked on every square inch of the tarmac. The whole scene was surreal.

The link is below.

thanks for posting.....thats great you have it saved

I was just wanting to go home. All day that day, my kids were very young and I just wanted to get to my house with my wife and lock the world out.

I was writing a new AF Weather course when a co-worker's wife called to say a plane hit the World Trade Center. We had no TV and all online news outlets couldn't handle the traffic load. The only real-time information I received was from FGF posts. When I got home that afternoon, I couldn't believe what I saw.

And going to work the next morning, I waited in line for an hour and a half to enter the base. It was a dreadful week. Our Starkville MSU return to football game was such a needed break from the continuous drumbeat of bad news.

Unfortunately I feel like that was the last time US ever tried to pull together and I'm not sure a catastrophe like that will get us there again! Politics try to keep that social divide only to be exponentially increased by the social media craze! I only hope the US could find that common ground we experienced then! I wasn't alive but I understand Pearl Harbor was on another level as my grandfather was part of it!
I feel that PCness was one reason those assassins of 9/11 were able to get thru. A warning about some arabs taking flying lessons but not landing lessons was sent up the channel but was ignored. It should have been the death of PCness but sadly it wasn't.

I was listening to the radio this morning as they replayed clips from the news as they happened and had tears in my eyes. I'll never forget that day and never forget the unity we had as a Country following that day!

Its amazing that just glancing through the posts brings back the emotions I felt that day; anger, saddness, disbelief, resolve,etc.. It just doesnt seem possible that it was 17 years ago.
And y'all help me out in regards to this recollection I'm struggling with here, but weren't we at an away game against MSU (Miss. State) on the VERY NEXT Thursday Night Game - where All Members of BOTH Teams held out a 55 yard wide by 100 yard long American Flag that BOTH TEAMS as ONE TEAM that shook and waved that flag as The National Anthem was played on National Television??

Just askin'. And didn't we win that game as well?? Again, just askin'!

Peace'n Out!

Gaim

And y'all help me out in regards to this recollection I'm struggling with here, but weren't we at an away game against MSU (Miss. State) on the VERY NEXT Thursday Night Game - where All Members of BOTH Teams held out a 55 yard wide by 100 yard long American Flag that BOTH TEAMS as ONE TEAM that shook and waved that flag as The National Anthem was played on National Television??

Just askin'. And didn't we win that game as well?? Again, just askin'!

Peace'n Out!

Gaim
Yes, nine days after 9/11. A low-scoring game, as I recall. Pinnock might have had a nice game. Corey Jenkins played a little TV. I could look it up, but I'm feeling lazy.

I was there with two friends. Vasago (or at least that used to be his username) happened to be sitting behind me.

Reactions: Gaimcock
It is interesting all of the incorrect rumors. That car bombs were going off, that we had attacked Kabul with missiles, 800 confirmed dead at Pentagon (real final total 125) etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT