ADVERTISEMENT

This is the fault of morons Goodell, Silver, Emmert, etc. We watch sports to get away from politics, not to be further immersed in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
Sports is supposed to be an escape - now there`s no escaping. They have lost many fans, I`m sure, over the past couple of years and I`m afraid they are going to lose a lot of fans going forward. Once they opened that door it will never shut. Goodell apologizing for "not listening" to Kap. I bet Kap would never apologize for some of the things he has said and done. Instead of letting the owners do their jobs they have basically let the players be in charge - the pros but it will trickle down to colleges in some ways. They should have done everything in their power to keep things separate but they didn`t have the intestinal fortitude to do it.

Sports is supposed to be an escape - now there`s no escaping. They have lost many fans, I`m sure, over the past couple of years and I`m afraid they are going to lose a lot of fans going forward. Once they opened that door it will never shut. Goodell apologizing for "not listening" to Kap. I bet Kap would never apologize for some of the things he has said and done. Instead of letting the owners do their jobs they have basically let the players be in charge - the pros but it will trickle down to colleges in some ways. They should have done everything in their power to keep things separate but they didn`t have the intestinal fortitude to do it.

Sports was never meant to be anything but sports. Perhaps people found it as an escape, but that’s in the eye of the beholder. If you can’t root for on the field performance because the athletes also have political opinions, then so be it. But you can’t make up things and then say that whatever you made up was destroyed and it’s someone else’s fault.

Reactions: leftneck

No. Just so much no.

This began before any of the people you mentioned were even born.

Prominent athletes have a platform larger than most of us ever will have. Good on them for using it to bring attention to causes of import.

I think it's disrespectful to tell someone to "shut up and play" or "shut up and sing." Michael Roth has said for a long time, "baseball is what I do, not who I am."

lol Pro sports ratings going South. Boycott, kneel, bitch, and complain while you run much of your audience off to never return. Such a wise move. Like complaining about farmers with your mouth full.

Sports and entertainment stars aren't necessities . I've needed a doctor, a plumber, a lawyer, an ambulance driver/EMT, a farmer, an electrition, a contractor, a surgeon, and many other professions and first responders.

You know what I've NEVER NEEDED. An athlete, a singer, an actor, or an artist!

Maybe just maybe you should wait and know all the facts before burning and pillaging and having a national sports protest. How about focusing on your cities they have killed off more minorities and the good police and citizens that have been knocked down?

Reactions: cockofdawn
They're making the conscious decision to sacrifice some of their audience/fan base/addressable market opportunity to say something they believe in. Taking a stand with eyes wide open, if you will.

Are these actions directly contributing to loss of ratings and fans? I have no doubt. I don't dispute that at all.

lol Pro sports ratings going South. Boycott, kneel, bitch, and complain while you run much of your audience off to never return. Such a wise move. Like complaining about farmers with your mouth full.

Sports and entertainment stars aren't necessities . I've needed a doctor, a plumber, a lawyer, an ambulance driver/EMT, a farmer, an electrition, a contractor, a surgeon, and many other professions and first responders.

You know what I've NEVER NEEDED. An athlete, a singer, an actor, or an artist!

There are people doing this too but I wish there were more. More people making active pleas that violence is an unacceptable form of protest. Killer Mike very powerfully did this in Atlanta earlier this summer.

I want to see some athletes use their "platform " to protest the assault on law abiding citizens by "protesters" and the assassination on police by "protesters ".

This BS is going to hurt two or three classes of (some) athletes who are not going to get a full opportunity to benefit from what they have been training all their lives for. This political BS that the democrats are pulling now is hurting the people they claim to always be helping the most. Poppycock.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Prominent athletes have a platform larger than most of us ever will have. Good on them for using it to bring attention to causes of import.

I think it's disrespectful to tell someone to "shut up and play" or "shut up and sing." Michael Roth has said for a long time, "baseball is what I do, not who I am."
Michael Roth also said. Here kitty kitty and spanked that tiger butt

You are missing the point. They HAVE kept these things separate. For decades... to keep the largely white audiences feeling comfortable, there could be no protesting or political statements made during games.. No wearing of symbols that reminded people of the racism and hate that the players and their families experienced outside of the fields and courts they entertained us on. Black athletes have been expected to basically put on a smile, ignore atrocities and act white for generations. That is what these protests are about. Making people like you who want to escape from these realities and ignore them wake up and take notice. Whether you people tune in or intentionally avoid watching sports because of the protests (or in the current case canNOT watch basketball because of them), the protests worked. They got your attention and got you talking about it. Congratulations on joining the fight- you are a real beacon of hope in the Black Lives Matter social movement! Inspiring stuff...

Except the atrocities they claim to be against are contributing to worse atrocities. The BLM movement has from the start been hijacked by antifa thugs, gangs and the lowest common denominator of humans. Its to the point now that justice will not happen because good law enforcement are afraid of losing their own property if they arrest a person who is a minority.
They want to protest when a criminal is shot? Fine. There lack of comments when the innocent are beaten and killed (no matter their color) is deafening.

The NBA makes a lot of money from China. China is currently oppressing an ethnic minority called the Uighurs to the point of genocide. The NBA does not care about oppressed minorities, the end game is to destroy the current political order in the US.

If this COVID crap has shown me anything, it’s that my daily life continues just fine without sports. I won’t tune in to all of these politicized pro sports. They can protest themselves right out of jobs for all I care.

You are missing the point. They HAVE kept these things separate. For decades... to keep the largely white audiences feeling comfortable, there could be no protesting or political statements made during games.. No wearing of symbols that reminded people of the racism and hate that the players and their families experienced outside of the fields and courts they entertained us on. Black athletes have been expected to basically put on a smile, ignore atrocities and act white for generations. That is what these protests are about. Making people like you who want to escape from these realities and ignore them wake up and take notice. Whether you people tune in or intentionally avoid watching sports because of the protests (or in the current case canNOT watch basketball because of them), the protests worked. They got your attention and got you talking about it. Congratulations on joining the fight- you are a real beacon of hope in the Black Lives Matter social movement! Inspiring stuff...

What you don't get is I don't GAS about social matters of any athlete. My skin color has nothing to do with this shit. Play ball, and bitch all you want away from the field/court.

Do some research on the founders and platform of BLM. They are anti-family, anti-American, comprised of at least one former Federal inmate, etc.

As for the shooting in Kenosha, the 'victim' had fought with the two officers to the point of being tased, had an active warrant for his arrest for physical/sexual domestic abuse and was being arrested, went to his vehicle AFTER all this, and reached into his vehicle. He was repeatedly told NOT TO DO exactly what he did, reach into his car. Reportedly, a knife was found in the floorboard. Result- SHOT

The policeman has a family, and HIS LIFE MATTERED. I guess these stupid athletes would have just stood there and let some guy plunge a knife into their chests?

I just watched the Today Show, and they covered this bullshit like it was racial injustice. Lmao. Not ONE MENTION of the shooting victims actions, active arrest warrant, knife, or to summarize, HIS ACTIONS that led to HIS BEING SHOT BY A POLICE OFFICER.

Once the bodycam is released we'll see just how unjustified this shooting was.

As for getting my attention, they have that, and that attention has revealed to me how stupid this group of athletes really are. Negative attention is not constructive, which much of this is proving to be. Pissing in their cornflakes, so to speak. The vast majority of these guys are a knee injury away from working at a Carwash. They have NO OTHER transferable SKILLS.

Last edited:
What you don't get is I don't GAS about social matters of any athlete. My skin color has nothing to do with this shit. Play ball, and bitch all you want away from the field/court.

Do some research on the founders and platform of BLM. They are anti-family, anti-American, comprised of at least one former Federal inmate, etc.

As for the shooting in Kenosha, the 'victim' had fought with the two officers to the point of being tased, had an active warrant for his arrest for physical/sexual domestic abuse and was being arrested, went to his vehicle AFTER all this, and reached into his vehicle. He was repeatedly told NOT TO DO exactly what he did, reach into his car. Reportedly, a knife was found in the floorboard. Result- SHOT

The policeman has a family, and HIS LIFE MATTERED. I guess these stupid athletes would have just stood there and let some guy plunge a knife into their chests?

I just watched the Today Show, and they covered this bullshit like it was racial injustice. Lmao. Not ONE MENTION of the shooting victims actions, active arrest warrant, knife, or to summarize, HIS ACTIONS that led to HIS BEING SHOT BY A POLICE OFFICER.

As for getting my attention, they have that, and that attention has revealed to me how stupid this group of athletes really are. Negative attention is not constructive, which much of this is proving to be. Pissing in their cornflakes, so to speak. The vast majority of these guys are a knee injury away from working at a Carwash. They have NO OTHER transferable SKILLS.

i just saw a still shot. It appears he he had a knife as well.

Nothing you said is true or relevant. Your skin color IS why you don’t GAS. I never once made a statement about my personal beliefs regarding the most recent shooting. They are protesting more than one man’s shooting. BLM the group is capitalizing on an anti racism movement. They do not define or encompass the beliefs of Americans who are fed up with social injustice.

It is ironic how all the people in here whining about these athletes boycotting NBA games in protest are the same people who said in other threads for weeks they would never watch the NBA again because those “uppity black folk dared rub our noses in the racist history of America”! I mean 1- what is wrong with you people that you get so offended by a group of minorities asking not to be shot and killed in the streets by police officers who are supposed to protect us and 2- why do ya’ll care so much about the NBA all of a sudden? Ulterior motives and unrealized personal biases abound in this thread.

You guys need to give up all sports period including college because if you think all athletes agree with your position your crazy. I would tend to bet the Gamecocks football team in a vast majority agree with the protests. Your basically telling people if they don’t agree with your position then be quiet. The reality is they have a right to protest and you have a right to boycott so defend your position and boycott all sports, movies, buy American if you can find it and don’t buy China made MAGA hats or vehicles since none are fully made in US, boycott every business that doesn’t agree with your position. Bet it will be tough

...Your (sic)basically telling people if they don’t agree with your position then be quiet...
My stance is that I associate with whom I please, engage whom I please, embrace whom I please, and I patronize whom I please. They can do whatever the hell they want to. I'm not allowing it to work any hardship on me.

Last edited:
Cry some more. They clearly don't have to bend themselves to your whim. Maybe you could start a new "no politics allowed!" league

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I look at it this way. If I choose to walk away from my job in protest of what I perceive to be an injustice, my employer will no longer be my employer. I am paid to do a job, and keep my political and social views to myself. I can express them on MY time, not the company's time!
You're a Carolina fan so you have to be a great guy Bruce, but I don't think you are commanding near the power these guys are

Aren't most of the interviews after the game? I thought that is where the platform is

Of course. I literally haven’t seen one word about players’ opinions on any subject outside of what’s written on a headline. It’s really easy to miss if you want to. But those saying they’ll never watch the NBA again don’t watch anyway or they’d know that.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

First, the subject is not dead. Therefore, for once maybe a subject will be able testify and have his own narrative as to what happened as opposed to the police officer(s) creating the narrative. My question to you is that if this guy was so dangerous and an officer is so scared of this dangerous guy getting to his car, then why let him get to his car. Is the guy under arrest or not? The goal of the officer is not just to get home safely. The job is to protect the public, even the dangerous guy(s) he may be arresting, and himself.

some truth to what you say.....however, in most businesses if you went down a political road with all your coworkers, they would likely fire you for disrupting the company. Make speeches on your own time all you want. And if I was famous I would use my platform to speak out for things I thought important as well. I just wouldn’t be doing it at work. That’s the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT