ADVERTISEMENT

This is very frustrating. On Doty not playing.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
But it is just how Muschamp responds to questions. Here is an excerpt... “ “I’ll have a more concerted effort to get him in this week. There was no plan for him not to play (against Tennessee). We played more 12 and 21 personnel and some 22, more than we did 11. I think we were in 40-something snaps of 11 and he was not in that plan. We’re going to work into that this week.”

No coach. It’s not that complicated. If he’s the athlete you all have been touting since camp began, you get him the ball. Or is he??
End around. Slip screen. Go route. Put him out there.

But it is just how Muschamp responds to questions. Here is an excerpt... “ “I’ll have a more concerted effort to get him in this week. There was no plan for him not to play (against Tennessee). We played more 12 and 21 personnel and some 22, more than we did 11. I think we were in 40-something snaps of 11 and he was not in that plan. We’re going to work into that this week.”

No coach. It’s not that complicated. If he’s the athlete you all have been touting since camp began, you get him the ball. Or is he??
Where is D Joyner?

Where is D Joyner?
Joyner was out there. Don't think he was targeted & seem to have trouble getting open. As far as Doty, the hype has really outrun reality imo. Were he ready at this time to be a real gamechanger he would not be an oversight. Multiple other true freshmen played Sat night. Plenty of reasons to be critical of Muschamp but the odds that he, Bobo & Cox all forgot Doty was on the roster is nil.

Especially when you say “ he’s one of our top 11 and we need to find a way to get him on the field.”

His words not mine. Just don’t say it if it’s not true. If it is true it looks like the coaching is poor for choosing to not play one of your top 11 for the entire game.

Last edited:
Where is D Joyner?

Waisting his career, he was told by multiple other schools that he didn't have what it took to be a QB at this level and i think Will knew that as well, but wanted him to come so told him he could play QB. DJ should have taken the advice of others and switched positions early in his career so he would have had a chance at learning it and then excelling at it. Heck of an athlete that likely will never get a shot at the next level b/c he took bad advice.

In his defense, personnel groupings do matter. I think Doty is not really apart of the game plan. Most true freshman are not. Especially ones that are going to play a position that they are not used to playing.

Reactions: hillstosea

It is pretty clear what he was saying- Doty is our 3rd/4th (5th..?) option at wideout. We were almost never even in 3 receiver sets. So, when should he had gotten in? You have to take out one of your two/three best receivers to play him.. So, I get the frustration, we all want to see what he can do, but this is not an air raid offense with 3-4 Wrs on the field for much of the game, Shi was playing like his hair was on fire all game, cannot take him out unless we have to! I felt he showed he is a play maker and deserves to be treated like the valuable asset he is. Leggette was playing consistent and made a few nice plays.. Dak is ahead of Doty on the depth chart and got some snaps, and it just doesn’t make sense to force a true freshman into the game if he is buried behind better/more deserving players in the first game of the season when he has had linited time to adapt to the college game and to the new offense... I get what he is saying and it makes total sense.

Do we all want to see what we have in Doty? Sure! But forcing him into the game week 1 just to “show the fans something” seems reckless to me. JMHO. I did not expect to see him much at all game 1.

Waisting his career, he was told by multiple other schools that he didn't have what it took to be a QB at this level and i think Will knew that as well, but wanted him to come so told him he could play QB. DJ should have taken the advice of others and switched positions early in his career so he would have had a chance at learning it and then excelling at it. Heck of an athlete that likely will never get a shot at the next level b/c he took bad advice.

I think we should give him a look at DB. He seems like a decent athlete without elite hands and route running skills, and his experience being a QB could help him recognize offensive sets and what the opposing QB might be thinking... I am not saying he would be the next Gilmore, but like Gilmore, he could take snaps on both sides of the ball at times...

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It is pretty clear what he was saying- Doty is our 3rd/4th (5th..?) option at wideout. We were almost never even in 3 receiver sets. So, when should he had gotten in? You have to take out one of your two/three best receivers to play him.. So, I get the frustration, we all want to see what he can do, but this is not an air raid offense with 3-4 Wrs on the field for much of the game, Shi was playing like his hair was on fire all game, cannot take him out unless we have to! I felt he showed he is a play maker and deserves to be treated like the valuable asset he is. Leggette was playing consistent and made a few nice plays.. Dak is ahead of Doty on the depth chart and got some snaps, and it just doesn’t make sense to force a true freshman into the game if he is buried behind better/more deserving players in the first game of the season when he has had linited time to adapt to the college game and to the new offense... I get what he is saying and it makes total sense.

Do we all want to see what we have in Doty? Sure! But forcing him into the game week 1 just to “show the fans something” seems reckless to me. JMHO. I did not expect to see him much at all game 1.

I get what you’re saying but if that’s true then when you are asked about Doty then tell the media he’s a freshman and he’s competing and he’s got some people in front of him and needs to earn his playing time. Everyone understands that.

Don’t say he’s one of our best guys and we have to find ways to get him on the field and the only time you see him is in warm ups. Is it too much to ask to expect the truth?

If he is the 3rd,4th option what difference is that compared to the number 2 option? Looked to me like there was only 1 option all night. And you can bet Florida will be keying on that.

I laugh at Muschamps responses being so technical. So the casual fan is supposed to respond like...
“Ok well if you were in 12 and 21 all night then I guess I understand”😂

I think we should give him a look at DB. He seems like a decent athlete without elite hands and route running skills, and his experience being a QB could help him recognize offensive sets and what the opposing QB might be thinking... I am not saying he would be the next Gilmore, but like Gilmore, he could take snaps on both sides of the ball at times...
What is your basis for stating that he has bad hands and route running skills?

If he is the 3rd,4th option what difference is that compared to the number 2 option? Looked to me like there was only 1 option all night. And you can bet Florida will be keying on that.

I laugh at Muschamps responses being so technical. So the casual fan is supposed to respond like...

We are already so one dimensional, imagine what is going to happen when Florida can literally play a press man coverage against us and put their best CB against Shi... could get ugly

We are already so one dimensional, imagine what is going to happen when Florida can literally play a press man coverage against us and put their best CB against Shi... could get ugly

I expect the 20.5 spread to increase a little as we get closer to game time.

Clemson recruited him as a free safety, they thought he would be great at it. At this point, he is about out of time to learn a new position. I guess it is never too late, but I don't think he wanted to play defense. He probably would if he knew that was his only option.

He said one time in an interview his sophomore year, that if he wasn't going to play QB he would have gone to a different school (or something similar). So i think some of it is buyers remorse and swallowing a hard truth in switching positions.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
What is your basis for stating that he has bad hands and route running skills?
I didn’t say bad, I said it was “not elite”... Two very different things. Specifically though, if you go back and look at game film from the times he played wideout last year, he seems to struggle catching the ball on the run. He can do screens, quick outs... But say a quick crossing route, hitting him while running full speed- he struggled... That is understandable for someone who has not played a lot of WR, but in the end it is something he needs to master to be effective at this level. It may come with more time, I am not giving up on the kid, just saying he needs to have elite hand eye coordination, needs to run crisp routes and have some sticky hands to be successful in the SEC and he has not seemingly out it all together yet.

Few of our receivers are very good, but Shi showed me a lot Saturday! That was a coming out party for him IMO.

Especially when you say “ he’s one of our top 11 and we need to find a way to get him on the field.”

His words not mine. Just don’t say it if it’s not true. If it is true it looks like the coaching is poor for choosing to not play one of your top 11 for the entire game.
Just like this is best team, best o-line, etc. He has ZERO clue as a frigging HC

For the most part, I have no problem with athletes who transfer. I assume they know what is in their best interests and wish them the best unless they say something negative about the program on the way out.

But players who could and perhaps should have transferred but don’t due to their loyalty to the school, teammates, etc. deserve extra praise. Dak Joyner is true Gamecock and I really, really hope he gets some opportunities to shine this year.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
He’s fast but not fast enough to play corner

I like Joyner as a person, but he's not that elite athlete everyone thinks he is. He really should become a powerlifter. He is gifted in that area. I could see him squatting 900 in a few years.

Sometimes I think CWM is too technical and detail oriented.
As opposed to having a big picture view, which is what great CEOs and great coaches have.

He should have said, I will ask Mike to take a look at what happened. He is too deep in the details, yes.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
For the most part, I have no problem with athletes who transfer. I assume they know what is in their best interests and wish them the best unless they say something negative about the program on the way out.

But players who could and perhaps should have transferred but don’t due to their loyalty to the school, teammates, etc. deserve extra praise. Dak Joyner is true Gamecock and I really, really hope he gets some opportunities to shine this year.

I am not saying he should have transferred. I am saying he should have switched positions. I would be beyond shocked if they wouldn't let him work in the secondary on defense. I am really blaming DJ, he had a dream he wanted to pursue, and i don't fault him for that, but he didn't align his gifting and talent with the best position for him to have success on the field.

He's 1 game into his Sophomore season, holy hell

Joyner has gotten zero coaching here. We didn’t have a capable QB or WR coach up until this season so even if he changed positions earlier it wouldn’t have mattered. He was always an athlete more than a QB and sometimes guys like that never find a position.

In terms of Doty if you really think he’s dynamic you create packages. You see it all across the country when teams want a guy on the field they make it happen. Creative coaches use their playmakers.

Muschamp loves the press conference when he just babbles of statements that he knows is just terminology that is either inside specific or just simply made up. It’s a classic response when you don’t have a real answer. Just talk and talk in vague terms or nonsense and then move on like it meant something.

Few of our receivers are very good, but Shi showed me a lot Saturday! That was a coming out party for him IMO.

That’s another thing. Shi had under 500 yards all of last year. For a lot of the season it seemed like it was the Bryan Edwards show and if he wasn’t in we were screwed. Did Shi get that much better this year? I doubt it. He’s been talented since he arrived. It appears we had 2 great receivers last year but didn’t use them. We passed more than any other SEC team last year yet our star this year wasn’t a big part of it.

Not that Clemson even considers the recruits we covet. But you can bet if we both go after an in state guy in ten future they point to the Mr Football recipients that pass through here quietly.

In his defense, personnel groupings do matter. I think Doty is not really apart of the game plan. Most true freshman are not. Especially ones that are going to play a position that they are not used to playing.

I would think that folks would realize that if you are counting on freshmen you're already in serious trouble and then to take it to the next level of having a freshman play a different position ...

(Somebody on here ALWAYS types SMH on all his posts. Well brother, I'm with ya. I'm shaking my head too!)

I get what you’re saying but if that’s true then when you are asked about Doty then tell the media he’s a freshman and he’s competing and he’s got some people in front of him and needs to earn his playing time. Everyone understands that.

Don’t say he’s one of our best guys and we have to find ways to get him on the field and the only time you see him is in warm ups. Is it too much to ask to expect the truth?
So basically he should tell the fans, the media and ergo the opposing team in effect “Shi is the only real play maker we have ready to go at WR”? Doesn’t that sort of tip your hand? Isn’t it more reasonable gamesmanship to play up the play making ability of a bunch of unknown guys to keep the opposing team at least thinking about other options? I dunno, I am not a coach, but I don’t think they generally tell the media anything that may be the least bit helpful to the opposition.

So basically he should tell the fans, the media and ergo the opposing team in effect “Shi is the only real play maker we have ready to go at WR”? Doesn’t that sort of tip your hand? Isn’t it more reasonable gamesmanship to play up the play making ability of a bunch of unknown guys to keep the opposing team at least thinking about other options? I dunno, I am not a coach, but I don’t think they generally tell the media anything that may be the least bit helpful to the opposition.

Yeah, Anybody taking cues form a coaches comments in a press conference on a game plan or who is or isn't playing is just asking to be duped.

Coaches use the podium to communicate with their team. When they are promoting one guy it might be to encourage him, or to tell someone else that you better step up. No way of knowing what their purpose is that day.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
That’s another thing. Shi had under 500 yards all of last year. For a lot of the season it seemed like it was the Bryan Edwards show and if he wasn’t in we were screwed. Did Shi get that much better this year? I doubt it. He’s been talented since he arrived. It appears we had 2 great receivers last year but didn’t use them. We passed more than any other SEC team last year yet our star this year wasn’t a big part of it.
Mehhh... Shi had a LOT of drops last year and spent some tome injured. I don’t think they avoided using a star player, I think he struggled with consistency and health last year. As we saw on the tough play that went back for a pick 6, his hands are still not 100% (it was a tough play but he could have made it), but he looks 100% healthy! Never seen him move that fast before!!

Yeah, Anybody taking cues form a coaches comments in a press conference on a game plan or who is or isn't playing is just asking to be duped.

Coaches use the podium to communicate with their team. When they are promoting one guy it might be to encourage him, or to tell someone else that you better step up. No way of knowing what their purpose is that day.
100% accurate. Remember when Lou would make ever upcoming opponent- even FCS teams- sound like they were the NE Patriots!?!

Reactions: Cocky_Corleone
100% accurate. Remember when Lou would make ever upcoming opponent- even FCS teams- sound like they were the NE Patriots!?!

i truly believe he got so good at that and that was his thing. They could win by 75 and he was going to tell them they almost lost the game and if they played that way next week that would lose to Bethune-Cookman.

Muschamp tries to wow you with his knowledge and technical talk while he says nothing. At least he didn’t throw in the word “leveraged” He’s just a crappy coach and he’s reached his pinnacle.

Reactions: TheReelEss
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT