ADVERTISEMENT

This is very frustrating. On Doty not playing.

So basically he should tell the fans, the media and ergo the opposing team in effect “Shi is the only real play maker we have ready to go at WR”? Doesn’t that sort of tip your hand? Isn’t it more reasonable gamesmanship to play up the play making ability of a bunch of unknown guys to keep the opposing team at least thinking about other options? I dunno, I am not a coach, but I don’t think they generally tell the media anything that may be the least bit helpful to the opposition.

A coach can say great things about good players and they still are going to get theirs. Pretty sure Coach Harbaugh could talk up Lamar Jackson and Coach Reid could talk up Patrick Mahomes and it’s not going to tip anything to the opposing coaches that could effect tonight’s Monday Night Football outcome. Likewise talking up Devin Duvernay or Byron Pringle is not going to give either team an advantage tonight.

Reactions: ddw1263
I didn’t say bad, I said it was “not elite”... Two very different things. Specifically though, if you go back and look at game film from the times he played wideout last year, he seems to struggle catching the ball on the run. He can do screens, quick outs... But say a quick crossing route, hitting him while running full speed- he struggled... That is understandable for someone who has not played a lot of WR, but in the end it is something he needs to master to be effective at this level. It may come with more time, I am not giving up on the kid, just saying he needs to have elite hand eye coordination, needs to run crisp routes and have some sticky hands to be successful in the SEC and he has not seemingly out it all together yet.

Few of our receivers are very good, but Shi showed me a lot Saturday! That was a coming out party for him IMO.
Are you talking about looking at Doty film from high school? Because he certainly didn't have any game film in our games!

Are you talking about looking at Doty film from high school? Because he certainly didn't have any game film in our games!
Dak, Not Doty- Dak is the one I was talking about in the post you quoted- sorry for the confusion. The original post was about Doty but I transitioned to a broader discussion about the WR depth chart which spiraled into my comment that I think Joyner would be a good option as a DB...

A coach can say great things about good players and they still are going to get theirs. Pretty sure Coach Harbaugh could talk up Lamar Jackson and Coach Reid could talk up Patrick Mahomes and it’s not going to tip anything to the opposing coaches that could effect tonight’s Monday Night Football outcome. Likewise talking up Devin Duvernay or Byron Pringle is not going to give either team an advantage tonight.
Totally off topic- The point being made is that coaches are often cagey and miss-leading in statements made to the press. Comparing discussion of a true freshman who is no higher than 2nd on the depth chart at any position to NFL MVP candidates and how their coaches talk about them is just silly.

So basically he should tell the fans, the media and ergo the opposing team in effect “Shi is the only real play maker we have ready to go at WR”? Doesn’t that sort of tip your hand? Isn’t it more reasonable gamesmanship to play up the play making ability of a bunch of unknown guys to keep the opposing team at least thinking about other options? I dunno, I am not a coach, but I don’t think they generally tell the media anything that may be the least bit helpful to the opposition.
I’m pretty sure that once it came out a transfer from Wingate was a potential starter it was pretty obvious we didn’t have any other playmakers at WR.

Totally off topic- The point being made is that coaches are often cagey and miss-leading in statements made to the press. Comparing discussion of a true freshman who is no higher than 2nd on the depth chart at any position to NFL MVP candidates and how their coaches talk about them is just silly.

That may be true of the game plan but not the players. No one benefits from talking down a player in their own program or building up a 4th string WR that would be better off transferring to Coastal to play.

Here is Dan Mullen talking about how difficult it is to cover his TE. You want to put money on us shutting him down this week since he leaked such crucial information? You know why Mullen is talking? Because he is confident in the kids talent and in his own ability to get him involved in the offense.

That may be true of the game plan but not the players. No one benefits from talking down a player in their own program or building up a 4th string WR that would be better off transferring to Coastal to play.

Here is Dan Mullen talking about how difficult it is to cover his TE. You want to put money on us shutting him down this week since he leaked such crucial information? You know why Mullen is talking? Because he is confident in the kids talent and in his own ability to get him involved in the offense.

different coach, different player, different team and completely different circumstance. You are missing the point, and at this point it seems purposeful.

He's seen our LBs.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
But it is just how Muschamp responds to questions. Here is an excerpt... “ “I’ll have a more concerted effort to get him in this week. There was no plan for him not to play (against Tennessee). We played more 12 and 21 personnel and some 22, more than we did 11. I think we were in 40-something snaps of 11 and he was not in that plan. We’re going to work into that this week.”

No coach. It’s not that complicated. If he’s the athlete you all have been touting since camp began, you get him the ball. Or is he??
End around. Slip screen. Go route. Put him out there.
You need to get on the sidelines. Muss has no clue.

different coach, different player, different team and completely different circumstance. You are missing the point, and at this point it seems purposeful.

Ok well let’s turn this around. Since we are absolute garbage maybe a different strategy around the press conference should be looked at as well. It is only paying dividends against Akron, Chattanooga and Charleston Southern lately. We’re not faking out too many people.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Mehhh... Shi had a LOT of drops last year and spent some tome injured. I don’t think they avoided using a star player, I think he struggled with consistency and health last year. As we saw on the tough play that went back for a pick 6, his hands are still not 100% (it was a tough play but he could have made it), but he looks 100% healthy! Never seen him move that fast before!!

Would have liked him to use that speed to try to make the tackle. Just watched the guy.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Would have liked him to use that speed to try to make the tackle. Just watched the guy.
I hear that! Shi and the QB were equally at fault on that play, but it seems Shi does not keep his composure at times and it costs him. He seemed more interested in showing his disgust over the high pass than finishing the play there- who knows if he could have caught the guy! Then later in the game he had to be pulled out at a cruicial moment because he was throwing a temper tantrum and almost got flagged going after a defender.

I didn’t get to see the post game comments but I did get to see the ? & answer from the media but did he throw in a lot of “ we going to evaluate “ quotes.

I think Muschamp needs to stay the hell away from the offense and leave that to some who knows how to run an offense. He can't even get his shit straight on the defensive side of the ball.

On a side note the Ravens put Duvernay on the field and he scored. Sometimes all someone needs is an opportunity....even if people are ahead of them.

On a side note the Ravens put Duvernay on the field and he scored. Sometimes all someone needs is an opportunity....even if people are ahead of them.
Just saw that- untouched! Right after the underhand shovel pass by Mahomie! Those were literally the first two plays I saw- what a matchup tonight!!

This is a great NFL game. I don’t get pumped about too many but this is one of them.
Agreed- I have been looking forward to this one since I saw it advertised during MNF last week! I have no real fan affiliation with any NFL team, I just like to see the best of the best face off and we have exactly that tonight!

In his defense, personnel groupings do matter. I think Doty is not really apart of the game plan. Most true freshman are not. Especially ones that are going to play a position that they are not used to playing.

A lot of these folks think the coaches decide which of the 80 players are going in on every play. You know, then they decide what formation and then draw up a play for x specific player. Folks have no idea of how fast things move once the game starts.

A lot of these folks think the coaches decide which of the 80 players are going in on every play. You know, then they decide what formation and then draw up a play for x specific player. Folks have no idea of how fast things move once the game starts.

Most of these groupings are preset and when 11, or 12 personnel are called out, people just have to react quickly. It is a little different with WR, where Doty is currently playing (Which seems odd to me since he is supposed to be a good QB). Most coaches just rotate there, but i doubt he is being used much regardless of the call.

Waisting his career, he was told by multiple other schools that he didn't have what it took to be a QB at this level and i think Will knew that as well, but wanted him to come so told him he could play QB. DJ should have taken the advice of others and switched positions early in his career so he would have had a chance at learning it and then excelling at it. Heck of an athlete that likely will never get a shot at the next level b/c he took bad advice.

Probably true but he has stated multiple times that if he only came here as a QB . He also said that if he wanted to play DB he would have gone to Clemson or Bama . Only reason he commited here was to get a shot at QB . In hindsight he probably would have been better off going elsewhere and playing DB . Gilmore had multiple D-1 offers to play QB , Michigan In particular when Rich Rod was there but he knew his path to the NFL was at DB . I’ll give you $19 million reasons a year why that was a great decision .

Probably true but he has stated multiple times that if he only came here as a QB . He also said that if he wanted to play DB he would have gone to Clemson or Bama . Only reason he commited here was to get a shot at QB . In hindsight he probably would have been better off going elsewhere and playing DB . Gilmore had multiple D-1 offers to play QB , Michigan In particular when Rich Rod was there but he knew his path to the NFL was at DB . I’ll give you $19 million reasons a year why that was a great decision .

Agreed, DK saying that is almost him having a conversation with himself and reminding the coaches that he should play QB. The problem is he just doesn’t have the skill to do it at this level. He needed to recognize that and change to D sometime ago.

I will say that some people don’t have the mentality to play Defense, and he may be one of those guys. Some would rather not play football than play defense.

Agreed, DK saying that is almost him having a conversation with himself and reminding the coaches that he should play QB. The problem is he just doesn’t have the skill to do it at this level. He needed to recognize that and change to D sometime ago.

I will say that some people don’t have the mentality to play Defense, and he may be one of those guys. Some would rather not play football than play defense.

Yeah but ultimately it’s his decision and he will deal with the consequences. I’m actually rather surprised he even made the switch to WR . I thought he would transfer to a D-2 and play QB and probably dominate . If he doesn’t make much of an impact this year wouldn’t surprise me if he transferred . In hindsight he probably should have taken the Bama offer and moved to DB . Probably cost himself a lot of $$$. Just sad that we’ve essential had 5 4 star QBs in Champs time and none made much of an impact Yet . Surprise surprise

Waisting his career, he was told by multiple other schools that he didn't have what it took to be a QB at this level and i think Will knew that as well, but wanted him to come so told him he could play QB. DJ should have taken the advice of others and switched positions early in his career so he would have had a chance at learning it and then excelling at it. Heck of an athlete that likely will never get a shot at the next level b/c he took bad advice.
Had he been open to switching positions, he would not be a Gamecock. If I recall correctly, he had offers from Bama and Clemson.

A muschamp staff has no real idea how to get playmaker in space or how to develop their skills to get the most out of their time in college. I can't put it all on the player when this has been the norm as long as he has been at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT