ADVERTISEMENT

This offensive play calling by committee has got to stop

On the matter of Jr replacing SOS, if that should be in the works with the administration, I believe they should think again. Times are different now than they were 20-30 years ago. Fans would raise holy hell if that should happen. School leaders simply aren't equipped with the Teflon suits to withstand that level of rebellion among the faithful,

I couldn't say it better or agree with you more. We should win next week assuming our defence can put presser on Matt Mauk. We can beat Vanderbilt if we continue to play well, and our heads are right after playing LSU. I think Tennessee is now vulnerable and while Florida is 4-0 we can beat them at home. Hopefully we take care of the Citidal which gives us 7 wins regardless of what happens aginst Clemson. If we call the offense by committee and win the rest of our games and win the rest of our games I wonder how many of you are upset after a 11-2 season.
Win the rest of our games? Have you SEEN Fournette?? He makes Chubb look weak and gimped.

We have played ONE good team and they destroyed us completely a few minutes into the third quarter.

I don't see how we beat LSU, A&M, Florida, Tennessee, and honestly Vandy.

They all look more athletic, conditioned, composed, and focused than we do.

For years I always thought that offensive playcalling is what SOS lived for. He loved matching wits with DC's to get the best play in for the defense given. This committee thing just blows my mind. If he's not doing much playcalling, and he's not doing too much recruiting, then what the he!! are we paying him all these millions for??? If Spurrier is going to stay on as HC, then he needs to get fully engaged with all aspects of this program, or else just hop on his golf cart and ride off into the sunset.

It's called a "GOLDEN PARACHUTE"...

And? What does that have to do with the subject of who is making the play calls and how much you cry babies bitch about it? It is hypocrisy. We do the same things for TEN YEARS, and when we lose you say: "Spurrier is a was washed up old idiot who is stealing from us by staying around to draw his salary until he can set his son up to take over as HC". When we win it is: "Spurrier is a genius play caller and shows he has progressed along with the game by turning over some of his play calling duties to the guys around him better suited to calling the kinds of run plays that best take advantage of the talents our players have."

Whoever said it above was right- some of you just got your panties in a wad and made up your mind to bitch and be negative regardless of the situation this year. Hope that kind of attitude serves you real well in life- IT WON'T BTW.

THE TRUTH is we are struggling to find an identity for this team and today's game could not have gone much better. We found multiple new play makers on defense- Whitlow, Holloman, Smith.. All showed they can play at high level. We shut a team out in the second half for the third time in four games so far. We struggled in the first half which ensured the team HAD TO stay intense and fight for the win, which they DID. We saw a FRESHMAN QB in his FIRST START turn what was a pretty shaky performance into a come from behind second half victory we were guided to by multiple PASSING TDs... YEAH, this team we beat was garbage. Worst offense in the nation, I get that... But this is exactly what we needed to get our swag going. Mizzou is NOT. A good team. Ky is waxing their ass right now AT MIZZOU if anybody was wondering, and they have struggled all year long to beat teams comparable in talent to the UCF team we toyed with today. We have a shot to turn this season into something we can be proud of, and build a team around some young players. Nobody knows how it will turn out in the end, but right now LSU and TAMU are the only teams we have left on our schedule who look legit. If Nunez keeps improving, we get Wilds back from injury and the defense can build on what they did tonight... We could be a decent team. Now, I know this won't change anybody's mind who came here join the negativity circle- jerk, but there were a lot of positives to be taken away from this game. Focusing on some comments from the post game presser about who was calling plays is stupid and a clear indication too many of our fans are TRYING to find something to complain about.

I think the op is upset because our HBC with the talented teams he's had (especially 09 thru 12) should have more than just one blowout loss in the SEC championship game after 11yrs at the wheel...We are all frustrated, at least we should be imo

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/collegesportslive/?media=506177

Last edited:
The best boss I ever had said that he didn't care if I only worked 1 day a year as long as I turned in my numbers (quota).

If Spurrier is winning, he can eff off as much as he wants. If he's losing, he's going to have to face the music like the rest of us. The school is paying him $4,000,000.00 per year. He needs to earn it.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we have a snowball's chance in hell against FL, UT, LSU or Clemson.

LSU beat Syracuse, SYRACUSE, by 10 points and struggled to do that. Fournette will run for 2 or 3 hundred yards against us but LSU is still beatable. Les Miles is capable of stupid decisions.

Reactions: RashCock
I have to question the energy level or commitment level of sos hearing this.

I know he said it kind of joking but HBCs comment on Carolina Calls where he said "the money is pretty good" did not sit right with me. This was the first year I agree that he looks much less engaged that he has in the past.

Nobody cared about this while we were winning 11 games a year and they WERE doing it then too.
You people act like we were blowing people out of games during those 3 straight 11 win seasons.....all of those could have been 7 or 8 win seasons. You guys need a history lesson. We almost blew a lot of games back then and lost many that we shouldn't have based on talent to the teams we lost to. We could have won 10 last year but the tide turned and we lost 4 of the ones we would normally have won. It still could have gone either way. Wins don't mask problems...they just make them acceptable to the masses......the problems have been and are still very real....wins aside.

Reactions: jerryusc
The
[QUOTE="FORKCOCK, post: 835619, member: 8102"]The best boss I ever had said that he didn't care if I only worked 1 day a year as long as I turned in my numbers (quota).

If Spurrier is winning, he can eff off as much as he wants. If he's losing, he's going to have to face the music like the rest of us. The school is paying him $4,000,000.00 per year. He needs to earn it.[/QUOTE]

And that's probably all he ever got our of you, the minimum. He was happy and you were, too. Bosses who think like your favorite and the people satisfied just to 'make their number' are the easiest organizations to displace in business. While you're coasting your competitors are asking customers who could be yours and may be yours (at that moment) what can they do to make their job easier and life better. When it's over you never know what hit you.

If anything Spurrier has been underpaid at South Carolina relative to what he's done and continues to do here. You need to get outside your comfortable 'box' and think less about what others make. Excluding inherited wealth we all make pretty much what we deserve.

The POINT Spurrier was making when he said he was letting Mangus call most of the plays in the first half was he's never had a 'run first' pass-second type QB. You can sit on your high horse all you want but if you don't think HOURS of discussion and preparation go into each weeks game plan you either don't know what's involved or you flat-out think the HBC is shirking his 'duties'.

As far as doing what it takes to WIN compare Spurrier to the guy lots of people say is the BEST coach in college football, Nick Saban. Spurrier has been a college HBC 26 years, Saban 21. Spurrier is 70 Saban is 64. Spurrier's longest stints were at Florida and SOUTH CAROLINA, Saban's jobs were ALABAMA, FSU and Michigan State.
In that extra 5 seasons Spurrier has 27 more LOSSES than Saban. He also has 50 more WINS.

Michigan State, FSU and Ala-FREEKIN-bama vs. Florida and SOUTH CAROLINA!!! Who had the toughest row to hoe?

Head-to-head Spurrier is 3-1 over Saban. How many SEC teams currently have a four-game bowl winning streak? ONE - South Carolina. We're STILL recruiting well in South Carolina, where we got Gilmore, Jeffery, Lattimore, Sweringer and Clowney ... if they grow a few more like those we'll get them, too. Our true Freshman center that started yesterday was the #1 rated player AT ANY POSITION in SC last year. Nunez was the #1 rated QB in the state of Georgia last year. Googer was the #3 rated WR in the state of Georgia last year. That kid from Conway who's committed is the #1 rated WR in SC THIS YEAR. The QB committed is a national 11-Elite player THIS YEAR.

South Carolina has some strangely fickled-fans. I REMEMBER all the way back to Dietzel and it AIN'T PRETTY. I REMEMBER praying to be 'bowl eligible' and I remember LOSING 'bout 8 of of every 10 to clemson for THREE DECADES.

We've been 'BOWL ELIGIBLE' EVERY YEAR Spurrier has been here. He's the ONLY COACH who has ever 'made his numbers' EVERY YEAR.

If THAT was ALL it took he'd still be your company's 'best salesman'. The guy is nothing but a 'winner'.

The
[QUOTE="FORKCOCK, post: 835619, member: 8102"]The best boss I ever had said that he didn't care if I only worked 1 day a year as long as I turned in my numbers (quota).

If Spurrier is winning, he can eff off as much as he wants. If he's losing, he's going to have to face the music like the rest of us. The school is paying him $4,000,000.00 per year. He needs to earn it.

And that's probably all he ever got our of you, the minimum. He was happy and you were, too. Bosses who think like your favorite and the people satisfied just to 'make their number' are the easiest organizations to displace in business. While you're coasting your competitors are asking customers who could be yours and may be yours (at that moment) what can they do to make their job easier and life better. When it's over you never know what hit you.

If anything Spurrier has been underpaid at South Carolina relative to what he's done and continues to do here. You need to get outside your comfortable 'box' and think less about what others make. Excluding inherited wealth we all make pretty much what we deserve.

The POINT Spurrier was making when he said he was letting Mangus call most of the plays in the first half was he's never had a 'run first' pass-second type QB. You can sit on your high horse all you want but if you don't think HOURS of discussion and preparation go into each weeks game plan you either don't know what's involved or you flat-out think the HBC is shirking his 'duties'.

As far as doing what it takes to WIN compare Spurrier to the guy lots of people say is the BEST coach in college football, Nick Saban. Spurrier has been a college HBC 26 years, Saban 21. Spurrier is 70 Saban is 64. Spurrier's longest stints were at Florida and SOUTH CAROLINA, Saban's jobs were ALABAMA, FSU and Michigan State.
In that extra 5 seasons Spurrier has 27 more LOSSES than Saban. He also has 50 more WINS.

Michigan State, FSU and Ala-FREEKIN-bama vs. Florida and SOUTH CAROLINA!!! Who had the toughest row to hoe?

Head-to-head Spurrier is 3-1 over Saban. How many SEC teams currently have a four-game bowl winning streak? ONE - South Carolina. We're STILL recruiting well in South Carolina, where we got Gilmore, Jeffery, Lattimore, Sweringer and Clowney ... if they grow a few more like those we'll get them, too. Our true Freshman center that started yesterday was the #1 rated player AT ANY POSITION in SC last year. Nunez was the #1 rated QB in the state of Georgia last year. Googer was the #3 rated WR in the state of Georgia last year. That kid from Conway who's committed is the #1 rated WR in SC THIS YEAR. The QB committed is a national 11-Elite player THIS YEAR.

South Carolina has some strangely fickled-fans. I REMEMBER all the way back to Dietzel and it AIN'T PRETTY. I REMEMBER praying to be 'bowl eligible' and I remember LOSING 'bout 8 of of every 10 to clemson for THREE DECADES.

We've been 'BOWL ELIGIBLE' EVERY YEAR Spurrier has been here. He's the ONLY COACH who has ever 'made his numbers' EVERY YEAR.

If THAT was ALL it took he'd still be your company's 'best salesman'. The guy is nothing but a 'winner'.[/QUOTE]

You'd be wrong chief. In a company with 63 salesman, I was always in the Top 5. Twice, I was salesman of the year.

When SOS retires, he will be replaced internally. I know everyone here says or will say, "that won't happen". Since when have the fans here selected the next Head Football Coach? When have the fans here selected any Head Coach? The "powers" here are not the fans. And, when Spurrier eventually retires, I do NOT want him replaced by an internal promotion. But, that's where we are headed. I see it. And I think most people here privately fear it but, want to publicly hold on to the hope we'll hire a hot up and comer or a "brand name" coach. The "powers" will do what they want to do. And any threat to boycott games or quit the Gamecock Club will fall on deaf ears because they know an insignificant small number will actually follow through on such a threat. I've come to accept the eventuality and hope, to my surprise, it will work out.
An internal promotion was definitely the game plan when we were winning 11 games a year, but the way this team has fallen off I don't think they can get away with it. This is not the old USC fan base. We have gotten a taste of winning and we like it. I am not advocating that the HBC retire or be fired. I think he will make the right decision if we do not improve from here, but the program needs a change after the HBC heads off into the sunset and it won't come from inside the program unless Tanner is comfortable with both baseball and football programs falling apart on his watch.

The

If THAT was ALL it took he'd still be your company's 'best salesman'. The guy is nothing but a 'winner'.[/QUOTE]
tldr.jpg

If THAT was ALL it took he'd still be your company's 'best salesman'. The guy is nothing but a 'winner'.

You'd be wrong chief. In a company with 63 salesman, I was always in the Top 5. Twice, I was salesman of the year.[/QUOTE]

Wow Chief! Consistently around the Top 8% Sounds like a nice little regional auto-parts chain compared to say, the life insurance industry - which has about 450,000 sales agents nationally. 8% of that group would be 36,000. But the Million Dollar Roundtable only has about 15,000 U.S. members qualifying annually - or the top 3%. I think my agent told me the 'minimum' requirement for 2015 is about $100,000 in NEW 1st year commissions, up from a little under $90,000 about 10-years ago. The 'average' income for qualifying members is supposedly something like $270,000 annually, which is pretty decent. Like every industry they have their 'superstars', too - guys making well in excess of $1 million every year.

I think Russell & Jeffcoat has 300-400 agents don't they? Still, 63 is a nice little group. Way to go! I think Hobson 'ought alert the media.

My POINT was Spurrier has far exceeded any 'quota' that might be out there.

You'd be wrong chief. In a company with 63 salesman, I was always in the Top 5. Twice, I was salesman of the year.

Wow Chief! Consistently around the Top 8% Sounds like a nice little regional auto-parts chain compared to say, the life insurance industry - which has about 450,000 sales agents nationally. 8% of that group would be 36,000. But the Million Dollar Roundtable only has about 15,000 U.S. members qualifying annually - or the top 3%. I think my agent told me the 'minimum' requirement for 2015 is about $100,000 in NEW 1st year commissions, up from a little under $90,000 about 10-years ago. The 'average' income for qualifying members is supposedly something like $270,000 annually, which is pretty decent. Like every industry they have their 'superstars', too - guys making well in excess of $1 million every year.

I think Russell & Jeffcoat has 300-400 agents don't they? Still, 63 is a nice little group. Way to go! I think Hobson 'ought alert the media.

My POINT was Spurrier has far exceeded any 'quota' that might be out there.[/QUOTE]
19872253.jpg

[SIZE=6 said:
"IBleedUSC,[/SIZE] post: 835979, member: 14284"]Wow Chief! Consistently around the Top 8% Sounds like a nice little regional auto-parts chain compared to say, the life insurance industry - which has about 450,000 sales agents nationally. 8% of that group would be 36,000. But the Million Dollar Roundtable only has about 15,000 U.S. members qualifying annually - or the top 3%. I think my agent told me the 'minimum' requirement for 2015 is about $100,000 in NEW 1st year commissions, up from a little under $90,000 about 10-years ago. The 'average' income for qualifying members is supposedly something like $270,000 annually, which is pretty decent. Like every industry they have their 'superstars', too - guys making well in excess of $1 million every year.

19872253.jpg
[/QUOTE]

“Deemed a fool is better than smartass.”
Toba Beta, Master of Stupidity

19872253.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's where you're wrong.

There's an annual quota.

Are you giving Spurrier a lifetime pass because he had 3 good years?

On who was calling the plays:
I delegated early, and then obviously I got involved the second half more. With Lorenzo and the run game, we put G.A [Mangus] up top and let him call them down through. And I would throw one in every now and then. But we were calling so many of these runs and options, I said well you guys are a little bit more comfortable calling all those than I am. But obviously the second half I jumped in there a lot of times....So [I called], half, most, yeah sumlikat...Coach Elliott calls a lot of them too, when we're looking for a run he throws it in there, so he calls a lot also.

On how the play calls will be handled next week:
But we're probably gonna do the same format next week. If the guy up top sees something that looks better in the run game we'll go with it and then down below, I just try to make sure we get our game plan called. Try to get the ball at Pharoh, this that and the other....Sometimes you got to call a pass play and let Lorenzo take off running. Quarterback draw was pretty big there on one of those 3rd and 10s. I'm sure people are gonna be looking for it soon.
Amen, but I have maintained that we need a full time offensive coordinator. SOS should stand on the sidelines and watch his assistants work, like Nick Saban, and Les Miles. Don't interfere with the troops.

Reactions: jerryusc
I think the solution is simple. HBC calls all the plays. Like he said he was going to do many times before. I am sure this is more taxing on him and maybe the key to his longevity in the sport is delegating so many things.

But to my point. Is anyone here trying to argue the first half looked like an offensive cluster-duck? And then you find out the reason was this jambalaya approach to play calling. I am sorry but that just does not work.

Look at last year when we faced Auburn. HBC took 100% control and we fought our way into a game we had no business being in. The dude can call ball plays. YES - it would be nice if GA learned enough to be like an OC. But obviously it has not happened and is not going to happen. So we need to stop doing it.

SOS delegated some of the play calling because the game plan included more options and designed runs. That's not SOS's forte, IMO.
Guess it really doesn't matter, there are a few on here that will use any situation to trash talk our team.:rolleyes:

An internal promotion was definitely the game plan when we were winning 11 games a year, but the way this team has fallen off I don't think they can get away with it. This is not the old USC fan base. We have gotten a taste of winning and we like it. I am not advocating that the HBC retire or be fired. I think he will make the right decision if we do not improve from here, but the program needs a change after the HBC heads off into the sunset and it won't come from inside the program unless Tanner is comfortable with both baseball and football programs falling apart on his watch.

I hope you are right. A lot of us will be pi$$ed if you are not.

I hope you are right. A lot of us will be pi$$ed if you are not.

The worst part for me is that it validated that he is by far the best play caller on the staff. It would be one thing if GA or Junior of Elliott was calling their ass off. But they were calling it like shit. As soon as HBC took the reigns everything starting looking smooth. It really pisses me off. I would be happier I think if he just lied to us and said he called the whole game.

Sure he notices how much better the offense runs when he calls the plays and surely he players do, as well.

On the matter of Jr replacing SOS, if that should be in the works with the administration, I believe they should think again. Times are different now than they were 20-30 years ago. Fans would raise holy hell if that should happen. School leaders simply aren't equipped with the Teflon suits to withstand that level of rebellion among the faithful,

Based on your handle, you may very well be about my age. We don't have time to be somebody's training ground. We need a young, PROVEN, Head Coach who has the energy and DNA to be an aggressive, successful recruiter, as well as a good "X's and O's" coach. We need someone who can go out of state and bring in blue chip talent more than just on an occasional basis. If Dabo Swinney can bring in out of state blue chip talent to an ACC school to play in a basketball conference, why can't we bring in out-of-state blue chip talent to an SEC school? Why not us?This state does not produce enough blue chip talent consistently on an annual basis, to rely just on in-state talent. If we are ever to win a SEC championship, that is the kind of Head Coach we need.. I said it last week and, I'll say it again: If we have the opportunity to bring in either Tom Herman of Houston or Dave Doeren of NC State, we need to JUST DO IT.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I think the solution is simple. HBC calls all the plays. Like he said he was going to do many times before. I am sure this is more taxing on him and maybe the key to his longevity in the sport is delegating so many things.

But to my point. Is anyone here trying to argue the first half looked like an offensive cluster-duck? And then you find out the reason was this jambalaya approach to play calling. I am sorry but that just does not work.

Look at last year when we faced Auburn. HBC took 100% control and we fought our way into a game we had no business being in. The dude can call ball plays. YES - it would be nice if GA learned enough to be like an OC. But obviously it has not happened and is not going to happen. So we need to stop doing it.
The problems in the first half had less to do with play calling as much as it did execution. I just went back and watched the 2st half and there majority of the plays could have been successful if executed the way they should be. I know that a huge generalization and some will say "every play could be successful if execution to perfection" but that's not the point I'm arguing. I'm saying that by re-watching I didn't see but a couple of bad calls based on their defense was lined up.
The only difference if Spurrier was calling plays is Nunez wouldn't have run for a few 1st downs because we would have been trying to throw the ball more and we would have seen Nunez under-throwing more receivers on deep routes and throwing them over their heads on short routes (but to his credit, he did get better as the game went on in the 2nd half and that's encouraging). So all in all GA calling plays wasn't so terrible, and it might be better for us in the long run. Our O just has to get batter at executing them.
I just hope all the coaches were up late last night watching film on this game and Mizzou. Somebody needs to get in Jr's grill and find a way to get WR's open, and in Elliott's grill to keep his OL to block better or it won't make a difference who's calling the plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT