ADVERTISEMENT

This teams biggest problem is the players themselves....

MTsumner92

Jul 31, 2005
I see dropped balls, missed blocking assignments, not picking up blitzes, fumbles, thrown interceptions. I love JUJU but he is a mismatch picking up blitzes. He better get better at technique fast! On defense we are NOT squaring off the corners on runs, taking bad angles, and just too soft right up the damn middle of our DL. If our DT's get double teamed they give up too much ground. It forces the linebackers to fill a bigger gap. Our defensive tackles don't attack. That would force them to be in tip top shape. They aren't. Look at the DT's in the NFL. They create pressure up the middle which allows the DE's and LB's to mop up. I have been disappointed in Pickens. I thought he would be a war daddy but I just haven't seen him disrupt at all. Our defense plays like a bunch of pussies right now. They need to start wearing pink socks and maybe put some eyeliner on before the game.

I see dropped balls, missed blocking assignments, not picking up blitzes, fumbles, thrown interceptions. I love JUJU but he is a mismatch picking up blitzes. He better get better at technique fast! On defense we are NOT squaring off the corners on runs, taking bad angles, and just too soft right up the damn middle of our DL. If our DT's get double teamed they give up too much ground. It forces the linebackers to fill a bigger gap. Our defensive tackles don't attack. That would force them to be in tip top shape. They aren't. Look at the DT's in the NFL. They create pressure up the middle which allows the DE's and LB's to mop up. I have been disappointed in Pickens. I thought he would be a war daddy but I just haven't seen him disrupt at all. Our defense plays like a bunch of pussies right now. They need to start wearing pink socks and maybe put some eyeliner on before the game.
Totally agree. Fundamentals continue to be lacking. Not sure if it's a Muschamp hangover or this staff has the same player development issues. It's still early though. Hopefully we'll see improvements as the year progresses.

One of the glaring weaknesses is the lack of talent at the wide receiver position.

Most every top 25-30 team I watch during a week (usually highlights) has several wide receivers that can make a move and take it all the way or at least catch it and turn a catch into a 30 yard reception. We do not have that talent available outside of maybe 1 player.

To be a top 25 type team, we have to have a few players that can do that and that the defense has to respect. We simply do not have that type of unit where the defense has to pick their poison.

That hurts the overall offense. It hurts the types of plays we can call (most everything has to be close to the line) and it forces our offense to have to continue to convert 3rd down plays over and over again and that is very difficult against good defenses.

Josh Vann is a Senior and has 3 receptions on the year for 13 yards. He had 1 reception against SC State for 5 yards.

He should be sitting on at least 15 receptions for 200-300 yards with his experience so far in the year. It's almost like he's regressed and I think that's fair to assume.

I know in pre-season he was dealing with a possible foot injury. If he was still hurt, he needs to sit and miss a few games and take time to recover. Because playing and not doing anything isn't helping anyone including any pro aspirations he might have.

Last edited:
Reactions: turncock
Totally agree. Fundamentals continue to be lacking. Not sure if it's a Muschamp hangover or this staff has the same player development issues. It's still early though. Hopefully we'll see improvements as the year progresses.
One of my first concerns when the portal was created was that player development would be moved to the back burner or perhaps not be as top of a priority as it once was. Basically going to plug and play players. Kinda early to say and I hope not but I dont like this trend we are seeing between all the Muschamp years and where we are a year and a half in to Beamer.

One of the glaring weaknesses is the lack of talent at the wide receiver position.

Most every top 25-30 team I watch during a week (usually highlights) has several wide receivers that can make a move and take it all the way or at least catch it and turn a catch into a 30 yard reception. We do not have that talent available outside of maybe 1 player.

To be a top 25 type team, we have to have a few players that can do that and that the defense has to respect. We simply do not have that type of unit where the defense has to pick their poison.

That hurts the overall offense. It hurts the types of plays we can call (most everything has to be close to the line) and it forces our offense to have to continue to convert 3rd down plays over and over again and that is very difficult against good defenses.

Josh Vann is a Senior and has 3 receptions on the year for 13 yards. He had 1 reception against SC State for 5 yards.

He should be sitting on at least 15 receptions for 200-300 yards with his experience so far in the year. It's almost like he's regressed and I think that's fair to assume.

I know in pre-season he was dealing with a possible foot injury. If he was still hurt, he needs to sit and miss a few games and take time to recover. Because playing and not doing anything isn't helping anyone including any pro aspirations he might have.
It's a little bit of everything when it comes to the offense. In the games that matter, receivers are getting jammed at the line because we can't protect the QB or run the ball effectively. By the time receivers see daylight, Rattler is already backpeddling.

There aren't too many wins left on the schedule if we keep playing like this. Hoping to see a solid effort at UK this weekend to help turn the tide.

It's a little bit of everything when it comes to the offense. In the games that matter, receivers are getting jammed at the line because we can't protect the QB or run the ball effectively. By the time receivers see daylight, Rattler is already backpeddling.

There aren't too many wins left on the schedule if we keep playing like this. Hoping to see a solid effort at UK this weekend to help turn the tide.

I really enjoy watching Wake's offense. They have a unique approach. But you have to have a really good offensive line to do what they do.

Muschamp has been gone for two years. Any fundamental issues this team has aren't his fault anymore. And there is no magic bullet to fix things. I was hardly in favor of the hire of Beamer simply for the fact that I felt USC just took the cheapest way out they could find. But there are few folks that would consider Columbia that could dream of recruiting with the folks USC needs to beat to be relevant. They might have had a shot at Kiffen, but they were so worried about saving a couple mil on Muschamps contract that they allowed that to slip away. Now I think Hugh Freeze could have made a difference, and wouldn't demand a high price. But apparently he wasn't considered by the brain trust.

We need some guys that turn into animals on Saturdays. We don't have many. Some of our 5 star players wouldn't see the field at Bama.

Reactions: MTsumner92
There definitely seems to be confidence and/or motivational issues. I attended the UGA game and the intensity in pre-game was not even close to what it used to be. Most of the players walked out for the 2001 entrance. We're playing the #1 team in our stadium and you can't get motivated?

You have to wonder about the NIL implications as well. Do some of our top players feel like they should be earning what players on other teams are earning to do the same job?

I was scanning 247 Sports and looking at the "All Time" players for different teams and found this interesting, Since the year 2000, this is how many 5 star players each team has signed:

South Carolina - 6
Clemson - 34
Alabama - 71
Kentucky - 2
Florida - 43
Vandy - 0
Georgia - 61
Ohio State - 54
Notre Dame - 19 (this was very surprising to me)
North Carolina - 7

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
I was scanning 247 Sports and looking at the "All Time" players for different teams and found this interesting, Since the year 2000, this is how many 5 star players each team has signed:

South Carolina - 6
Clemson - 34
Alabama - 71
Kentucky - 2
Florida - 43
Vandy - 0
Georgia - 61
Ohio State - 54
North Carolina - 7
Florida has wasted some serious talent

South Carolina - 6
Clemson - 34
Alabama - 71
Kentucky - 2
Florida - 43
Vandy - 0
Georgia - 61
Ohio State - 54
North Carolina - 7
If that was one of those "which one of these doesnt belong" type lists, UF appears to be the only one who hasnt been a regular in the playoffs but recruits near the ones that do. I've never really thought of them as a failure, but it kinda looks like they are based on that.

Reactions: Lurker123
We just ain’t good enough.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
The bigger problem with UofSC athletics is Ray Tanner and the BOT. As long as they are behind the wheel our football program WILL NOT have national relevancy. We won’t even sniff the top25 in any poll. Win a NC, the SEC or even just the East. Forget it.

Last edited:
One of my first concerns when the portal was created was that player development would be moved to the back burner or perhaps not be as top of a priority as it once was. Basically going to plug and play players. Kinda early to say and I hope not but I dont like this trend we are seeing between all the Muschamp years and where we are a year and a half in to Beamer.

Unfortunately, I think you are on the money and I must agree with you. Unlike most of our fans, I have never seen the Portal as being some kind of magic bullet that will cure all our ills and weaknesses. YES, it is a tool but it must be used the proper way. Just like the first thing you learned in any Shop Class in school ... "THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB!"

We are not going to get 5 star QB's, 5 star DT's and 5 star WR's & LB's from the Portal each and every cycle. But rather, we must develop what we have recruited and stop losing second and third teamers to the Portal. Those 2nd & 3rd teamers eventually become your starters and second teamers after injuries strike, fatigue from a long SEC schedule sets in and as our fans sincerely believe ... "WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!"

Reactions: bucketdad
Unfortunately, I think you are on the money and I must agree with you. Unlike most of our fans, I have never seen the Portal as being some kind of magic bullet that will cure all our ills and weaknesses. YES, it is a tool but it must be used the proper way. Just like the first thing you learned in any Shop Class in school ... "THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB!"

We are not going to get 5 star QB's, 5 star DT's and 5 star WR's & LB's from the Portal each and every cycle. But rather, we must develop what we have recruited and stop losing second and third teamers to the Portal. Those 2nd & 3rd teamers eventually become your starters and second teamers after injuries strike, fatigue from a long SEC schedule sets in and as our fans sincerely believe ... "WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!"
Agreed. Now I will cut some slack for a head coach to use the portal to fill needs in his first year or two to fill holes much like using Jucos in the past that might be a better fit to a new system. That's one reason I said it may be too early to tell. But yeah, you still have to put a tremendous amount of time developing non starters if you want to come anywhere close to advancing beyond medeocracy. At least I hope that's the priority it should be imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thirdcatgy

South Carolina - 6
Clemson - 34
Alabama - 71
Kentucky - 2
Florida - 43
Vandy - 0
Georgia - 61
Ohio State - 54
North Carolina - 7
Good info. When you consider that this spans 21 years, UGA and Bama are really only averaging around three 5-stars per year.

It would be interesting to see how many of these players were QBs and how that impacted the team over their tenure. It would also be interesting to see a similar list for 4-star players. Both could assist in clarifing some of the impact of coaching/player dev. vs. recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT