ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and prayers

Sad deal.

Unfortunate thing is she could’ve caught it anywhere. The story gives the clickbait impression she was teaching a class full of students, but she was only actually in the building one day for a teachers workday.

It is true she could have caught it anywhere but it’ is false she was only in the building one day. She was in the building for that entire week with scores of other teachers and staff. It is certainly possible that being in the school that week led to her Covid and eventual death. Unfortunately some will try to spin that fact because it won’t fit their narrative that school 5 days a week is safe.

My son is going to school 5 days a week. It’s not a narrative. I trust the school and glad he’s going. He’s a different person with the social interaction of his peers. I’d bet 80% of people in online school gas t learned 5 % of what they are be told to learn.

We get a text every morning at 6:30 from the school. By 7:15 the parents have to log onto an App to download the students morning temperature and answer 7-10 questions about how they are feeling and eating , etc. if not they can’t go to school. Any negative signs and they stay home.

School from 8-3. Football practice from 3:45 to 5:45. Everyday.

still - very sad for the teacher and everyone else that has covid it has died from it. prayers to all

Btw. Some people believe there is an agenda because of true confessions like this one.

My son is going to school 5 days a week. It’s not a narrative. I trust the school and glad he’s going. He’s a different person with the social interaction of his peers. I’d bet 80% of people in online school gas t learned 5 % of what they are be told to learn.

We get a text every morning at 6:30 from the school. By 7:15 the parents have to log onto an App to download the students morning temperature and answer 7-10 questions about how they are feeling and eating , etc. if not they can’t go to school. Any negative signs and they stay home.

still - very sad for the teacher and everyone else that has covid it has died from it. prayers to all

Btw. Some people believe there is an agenda because of true confessions like this one.

Definitely would not disagree that school and sports are good for kids. Do disagree with you discounting the value of virtual education to prove it though. Are some doing less or cheating? Sure, but it’s not like that does not happen in a regular school building. Just because a kid isn’t learning the way you did or your kid is does not mean that kid is not learning.

There is plenty of misinformation on both sides. Won’t get too much down that path. The false narrative is that the adults in the building are safe, not the kids. This is the first teacher death from Covid in this state that I know of this school year, but there will be others. Keep in mind some schools just started back this week and others are starting to increase attendance.

Reactions: SCexpat38

Glad to hear that schools in SC are taking things seriously. When I asked if I could have a thermometer in my room, I got major stinkeye from my principal. Students here come and go as they please, wear masks below their noses with no consequence (other than my frequent reminders) and protest not being able to go to a football game.

So... what this illustrates is the lack of coordinated response that puts people at major risk. That is the problem now. Thank God some schools are taking major precautions. Others aren't. And the same applies to people in public places. Some take responsibility and others don't. Why? Because of the lack of coordinated response. That's the issue and it goes to the TOP.

Unfortunate thing is she could’ve caught it anywhere. The story gives the clickbait impression she was teaching a class full of students, but she was only actually in the building one day for a teachers workday.

Sorry to hear this, but Agree 100%, they way it was written the writer wants you to think she got it from school. I wonder if she had any other health issues that were further complicated. Not a very well written article, imho.

I dont think anyone will know where she got or didn't get it from.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
Glad to hear that schools in SC are taking things seriously. When I asked if I could have a thermometer in my room, I got major stinkeye from my principal. Students here come and go as they please, wear masks below their noses with no consequence (other than my frequent reminders) and protest not being able to go to a football game.

So... what this illustrates is the lack of coordinated response that puts people at major risk. That is the problem now. Thank God some schools are taking major precautions. Others aren't. And the same applies to people in public places. Some take responsibility and others don't. Why? Because of the lack of coordinated response. That's the issue and it goes to the TOP.
Praying for your safety. There’s a big difference between what school districts tell the media is going on and what is actually going on in a school.

Total 2020 deaths in the US are up 1.12% over YTD over 2019. Thats the exact same percentage as the increase from 2018 to 2019. Its pretty much the same as the last few years.
Its sad that people die and thoughts and prayers to this young lady's family but none of us will get out of this alive!

Sorry to hear this, but Agree 100%, they way it was written the writer wants you to think she got it from school. I wonder if she had any other health issues that were further complicated. Not a very well written article, imho.

I dont think anyone will know where she got or didn't get it from.

Media definitely is in the business of click bait and selling newspapers. I don’t know all of her issues but the young lady clearly was overweight for her age. Some won’t like me saying it, but it’s true.

I don’t know how possible it is to know where she got Covid. Would likely depend how many other places she were going to. Having said that she was in a school shortly before contracting Covid. It’s fair and relevant to report. Depending on how many faculty there are, she could have been around over 50 people for a week so it’s not a stretch to think she could have got it at school.

Reactions: Gradstudent

It's not a lack of a coordinated response. It's a populace who consistently, in many arenas, ignores good sense, the law, regulations and perhaps just caring about trying to do the right thing. We, each of us, is the problem, be it Covid or whatever else pains us these days. As Jimmy Buffett penned in a song a long time ago, "We Are the People Out Parents Warned Us About." Wear your masks, and protect our teachers and folks like this unfortunate young lady.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It's not a lack of a coordinated response. It's a populace who consistently, in many arenas, ignores good sense, the law, regulations and perhaps just caring about trying to do the right thing. We, each of us, is the problem, be it Covid or whatever else pains us these days. As Jimmy Buffett penned in a song a long time ago, "We Are the People Out Parents Warned Us About." Wear your masks, and protect our teachers and folks like this unfortunate young lady.
I agree with your sentiment about people not taking personal responsibility, and if they had not been led astray from the very beginning of this thing from the person at the top who has now admitted he downplayed the severity, we might have had better buy-in on being responsible - especially from the acolytes who blindly follow whatever he says to do - or not do. It was a chance to show true leadership in a crisis and the leadership led people astray. Instead, we continue to have people quote erroneous research and statistics showing that this is somehow just a "normal" pattern in health, disease, life and death (just look in this thread). It's like Hoover doing nothing as the country collapsed into the Great Depression, saying "Hey, this is just the normal ups and downs of the business cycle."

It is true she could have caught it anywhere but it’ is false she was only in the building one day. She was in the building for that entire week with scores of other teachers and staff. It is certainly possible that being in the school that week led to her Covid and eventual death. Unfortunately some will try to spin that fact because it won’t fit their narrative that school 5 days a week is safe.

According to the article she was in the building on Fri Aug 28, then worked from home after that.

Reactions: cockofdawn

We are running about the same schedule at my sons school. I’ve been by campus on several occasions and everyone is doing what they can. Amazingly the kids I’ve seen are all wearing their masks, kids go straight for one class to the next with minimal talking. They’ve had very good compliance with Covid testing being required if your child has had so much as a sniffle. Here’s the thing, it’s a private school and if you don’t follow the rules your out. There is a waiting list now for kids to get in and the parents know it.
My sons been practicing middle school football since Aug 3rd and they’ve already played 3 games. I can tell you his emotional state is VASTLY better than it was last spring with virtual learning and no sports.

I agree with your sentiment about people not taking personal responsibility, and if they had not been led astray from the very beginning of this thing from the person at the top who has now admitted he downplayed the severity, we might have had better buy-in on being responsible - especially from the acolytes who blindly follow whatever he says to do - or not do. It was a chance to show true leadership in a crisis and the leadership led people astray. Instead, we continue to have people quote erroneous research and statistics showing that this is somehow just a "normal" pattern in health, disease, life and death (just look in this thread). It's like Hoover doing nothing as the country collapsed into the Great Depression, saying "Hey, this is just the normal ups and downs of the business cycle."
I choose not to be political. I am interested in Leadership in general as I used to consult on it when I worked and miss it. In the last 10-15 years, Leadership has undergone a sea change. With the onslaught of information online, with an increasingly philosophically diverse "follower" group in virtually every organization and with the blurring of the line between politics and work, leaders are not looked to for example. The role of leader now is largely setting the path and using personal power to rally followers around the organization's goals. And to survive. There is a societal war on leadership.

Leading by example died with society's continuing moral decline. So did individual personal responsibility. But hey, the Bible pointed out long ago that hope did not live with mankind. It's proven more and more every day. You want leadership, go directly to God. Otherwise, you will be disappointed.

Reactions: king ward
According to the article she was in the building on Fri Aug 28, then worked from home after that.

This is likely a case of poor wording, reporting or both. Yes she was last in the building on Friday August 28 and it states she was there that day. It doesn’t state if she was there the rest of the week but by looking at the Richland 2 calendar (and being a teacher myself) I know she was expected and was most likely in the building that entire week that ended on August 28. The wording is usually done at the district office in an attempt to minimize bad publicity and parent concerns. I wouldn’t believe half of what is issued in a statement.

A bus driver in Spartanburg and a coach at Spring Valley have died from Covid. That’s 3 education related deaths from Covid in S.C. this week that I know of.

You seem like a cool person, and I totally agree with most of your post.

But when would you say that society really ever exhibited morality?
I know things are bad nowadays, but I think we've always been quite evil.

I choose not to be political. I am interested in Leadership in general as I used to consult on it when I worked and miss it. In the last 10-15 years, Leadership has undergone a sea change. With the onslaught of information online, with an increasingly philosophically diverse "follower" group in virtually every organization and with the blurring of the line between politics and work, leaders are not looked to for example. The role of leader now is largely setting the path and using personal power to rally followers around the organization's goals. And to survive. There is a societal war on leadership.

Leading by example died with society's continuing moral decline. So did individual personal responsibility. But hey, the Bible pointed out long ago that hope did not live with mankind. It's proven more and more every day. You want leadership, go directly to God. Otherwise, you will be disappointed.

It's like nothing of the kind. We live in a free country where there is no paucity of information. Neither does all of it come from the United States. People love to deflect. They also seek opportunities to blame. There was plenty of misdirection from medical professionals - some of them attached to government for years - as reasonable people very well know - professionals who either had the podium or whose sentiments showed up in print. This was always going to be reaction on the fly as more was learned. The death toll was always going to be unfortunately high - even with draconian measures taken. We abide in a free society and many prefer not to be fettered. I'm one of them, even though I wear a mask. In the issues that matter most to me, and to millions of Americans over the long haul, this President has been the best of my lifetime. And who told those governors to send their Covid cases to nursing homes? They don't listen to him.

Last edited:
Sad deal.

All RD2 classes are on Zoom... This is important to know and folks should take this seriously, you can get COVID 19 by look at them on Zoom...

No, seriously, this is really sad, but she was over weight and maybe in poor health with other health issues... She did everything correctly by teaching classes online, but she may have gone out to the grocery store or had someone visit her who was infected...

A bus driver in Spartanburg and a coach at Spring Valley have died from Covid. That’s 3 education related deaths from Covid in S.C. this week that I know of.

And your point??? Do you know the health conditions of these people prior to getting COVID19???

My daughter-in-law is a teacher in the upstate and she said after 3 weeks, it's not that bad... Everyone was anxious in the beginning and now teachers and students are now relax about it and no longer anxious...

People are anxious about the unknown, until they go through it... The same thing can be said about sports...

I didn't see too much social distancing during the games...

A lot of schools in SC aren’t taking things seriously... it varies dramatically from one district to the next, and in some cases even school to school. In my wife’s district, students aren’t socially distanced and aren’t required to wear masks, they have put up no barriers or taken precautions most other adjacent districts are taking. Administration has told faculty that SCDHEC and CDC have issued updated guidance that three feet is adequate social distancing, which is a bald-faced lie. Rather than simply say “we are in a tough situation but don’t have funding to do more than we are doing,” they lie. Honesty and transparency are the minimums teachers are owed.

And your point??? Do you know the health conditions of these people prior to getting COVID19???

No point at all. Just pointing out people dying of Covid working with the youth of South Carolina. Completely pointless. One of them was a pretty good athlete in his day. I wouldn’t consider him old unless you consider your 40s old.

Virtual learning is ineffective. If you don’t want to teach, quit.
Virtual learning for some students can actually be very effective if planned, staffed and executed correctly. The issues arise when you stick a Chromebook w/camera in the back of an in-person classroom and expect those watching the stream in “TV land” to derive the same benefits as in-class students. That isn’t virtual learning; it’s what districts are calling a “hybrid” or “blended” learning model. It shortchanges teachers and students alike.

Many districts aren’t implementing or focusing on providing true, robust virtual curricula for budgetary reasons, but I suspect one of those reasons is that they have so much capital spent on brick-and-mortar instruction that it would be an admission of failure if some students were just as successful learning virtually as they would have inside a school’s walls. This wouldn’t be true (I.e., it isn’t necessarily a failure); people learn differently and what works well for one might not for another, but it’s not an atypical mindset for an institution.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Virtual learning for some students can actually be very effective if planned, staffed and executed correctly. The issues arise when you stick a Chromebook w/camera in the back of an in-person classroom and expect those watching the stream in “TV land” to derive the same benefits as in-class students. That isn’t virtual learning; it’s what districts are calling a “hybrid” or “blended” learning model. It shortchanges teachers and students alike.

Many districts aren’t implementing or focusing on providing true, robust virtual curricula for budgetary reasons, but I suspect one of those reasons is that they have so much capital spent on brick-and-mortar instruction that it would be an admission of failure if some students were just as successful learning virtually as they would have inside a school’s walls. This wouldn’t be true (I.e., it isn’t necessarily a failure); people learn differently and what works well for one might not for another, but it’s not an atypical mindset for an institution.
Too many people think teaching is "I told you, so now you know it." Whether you do that in person or you do it in front of a camera (which could increase the distractions for many students), it's ineffective for far too many students. It would be great if positive change could come from having to look at different teaching models, but the only focus has been "return to status quo" as soon as possible. There was also no coordinated effort to help prepare for anything other than status quo. It takes leadership.

It's like nothing of the kind. We live in a free country where there is no paucity of information. Neither does all of it come from the United States. People love to deflect. They also seek opportunities to blame. There was plenty of misdirection from medical professionals - some of them attached to government for years - as reasonable people very well know - professionals who either had the podium or whose sentiments showed up in print. This was always going to be reaction on the fly as more was learned. The death toll was always going to be unfortunately high - even with draconian measures taken. We abide in a free society and many prefer not to be fettered. I'm one of them, even though I wear a mask. In the issues that matter most to me, and to millions of Americans over the long haul, this President has been the best of my lifetime. And who told those governors to send their Covid cases to nursing homes? They don't listen to him.
About 3 million more Americans disagreed with you than agreed with you in 2016, and if you can call what we get from this president - about nearly any issue - "Leadership," I'm afraid you don't understand the word. You can hide behind words like "freedom" if you like, but when crises like this arise, it's time for everyone to buck up and do what's right for the whole rather than focus on their own personal liberties.

Are you considering special needs and extended standards? Are you familiar with Unique Learning?

You may not take data on your students, but I do. It’s demonstrably ineffective.

Complete BS. Perfect counter argument when you have no real data, just a feeling.

I guess no one on here could possibly learn anything about their favorite team since it’s done virtually.

Complete BS. Perfect counter argument when you have no real data, just a feeling.

I guess no one on here could possibly learn anything about their favorite team since it’s done virtually.
Where did you read anything about feelings? I said I have data. Are you ok?

ADVERTISEMENT