ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on A CO-DC System

stagedoor71

Jan 8, 2004
I am not sure exactly how this will work, but I believe Hoke will be upstairs where he can get a better view of the field and Ward will be on the sidelines where he can shuffle players in and out I expect the defense will improve because of experience and new players. I am, however, still concerned about the special teams. They may have shown improvement in the UF game, but I believe ST play cost us at least 2 games.

Just not sure how they work out who calls the defensive scheme. Someone has to make the ultimate call. Will it be Jon Ward or Lorenzo Hoke?

Originally posted by stagedoor71:
I am not sure exactly how this will work, but I believe Hoke will be upstairs where he can get a better view of the field and Ward will be on the sidelines where he can shuffle players in and out I expect the defense will improve because of experience and new players. I am, however, still concerned about the special teams. They may have shown improvement in the UF game, but I believe ST play cost us at least 2 games.
Really? Which ones? The only bad special team game I remember is Vandy and we won.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:24 PM by ReadR00ster

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
Really? Which ones? The only bad special team game I remember is Vandy and we won.

And I've already said this today, but special teams is the only reason we won the Florida. Not sure how people forget that; it wasn't that long ago.

I thought ST really won the UF and ECU games. Not sure it lost one much less two.

Originally posted by _NOVA_:
Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

And I've already said this today, but special teams is the only reason we won the Florida. Not sure how people forget that; it wasn't that long ago.
I didn't forget that. I thought the game was over and shut it off, started to crazy knowing the game was still on and turned it back on with like 1:00 minute left and we had the ball still down only one score on their side of the field. I thought the special teams was awesome all year. I don't know why people said our secondary was good though. They were terrible all year. Brown recruited well, but they haven't played well at all.

We'll find out in Spring Practice...

Special teams definition.

"The members of a football team responsible for plays involving a kick of a football. This includes the kicker, punter and long snapper, as well as anybody involved in the kick return and kick coverage teams. A team with good special teams will tend to be good at field goals and extra points, and provide its offense and defense with superior field position after kickoffs and punts".

I don't have a problem with Co-DC in theory. I just Wish Hoke was here with his own new coaching staff.

Thoughts? Not really. I have no idea if it will work or not, but I can say this much, I was very much anticipating being recharged and excited about the program after signing day, the very day we were all told to wait for. It came and went...and now it feels like I just kissed my cousin. When did this become about million dollar egos and feelings and less about the fan-base and winning? Oh well, maybe some day.

We tried this with Ty Nix and John Thompson. Maybe the Coen brothers make it work, but color me skeptical on a co-executive approach.

This post was edited on 2/6 5:39 PM by big.spur

Originally posted by big.spur:
We tried this with Ty Nix and John Thompson. Maybe the Coen brothers make it work, but color me skeptical on a co-executive approach.

This post was edited on 2/6 5:39 PM by big.spur
Didn't we ditch Thompson and then just went with Nix and the defense still was bad? I'd imagine you'd have to have at least 1 good defensive coordinator for it work. It's working for Ohio State.

This post was edited on 2/6 6:20 PM by ReadR00ster

I think the title was just a way for LW to save face, for what reason I don't know, and it has already been told to LW that we're now doing things the Hoke way and LW will graciously except it or will move on next year to another gig.

Perhaps it is a face saving gesture. If you demote Ward you could perhaps affect the cohesion of the staff and team. He has one more year on his contract. If he does not like the arrangement he will leave then. Meanwhile he is not going to dog it because it would damage his prospects elsewhere. If the team is more successful next year than this year he will receive some of the credit as he should., He has recruited some of the players and coached them.

Coaches move about all the time. Look at Hoke's career. He is a guy who got fired in Chicago when the HC changed. Supposedly he had a job option in Denver but chose USC. His brother got fired in Michigan but in two years he will be a HC somewhere else. The only coach that I know of who has never been fired is Frank Beamer, but he came close in the 1990's. The AD basically told him that he had to make coaching changes and the team had to improve. No one told Spurrier that he had to make some changes. He knew it and he is doing it.

My take is that Spurrier does not want to have to expend energy on the defense so he hired someone he knows and trusts to fix the problem. Meanwhile, the HBC has a problem he can concentrate on fixing, the offense. The most pressing problem is finding a QB. He knows he has at least a couple of good backs, some very good receivers, a Good OL coach and some recruits who can have an immediate impact. I am pretty sure that he knows what the problems are and expects better results next year. As he said in his presser 1/3 of the players will be new so it will be a different team next year.

It's like Heath Cline said if the defense does good Hoke will get the credit if it goes bad Ward will get the blame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT