ADVERTISEMENT

Thread deleted because "it got a little too hateful"??

Jan 10, 2019
FloTown
Got this notice that my thread on why I couldnt encourage my girls to attend SC was deleted because "it got a little too hateful."
What did I miss? I thought we were all adults but I guess the mods have to be senthetive 🤮these days.....

It’s only Ok until you offend the moderators point of views. It’s pretty easy to tell what views they tend to support.

Reactions: Cybercock
There will always be odd choices of thread deletions, imo. One thread is axed while a couple more, with the same garbage are still going.

I still think a seperate politics board would do more than anything to clean up stuff.
It would go a long way for them to bring back Small Talk.

Reactions: Lurker123
Got this notice that my thread on why I couldnt encourage my girls to attend SC was deleted because "it got a little too hateful."
What did I miss? I thought we were all adults but I guess the mods have to be senthetive 🤮these days.....
Some can’t handle hearing another point of view. Mainly because they were taught not too. Lol

Some can’t handle hearing another point of view. Mainly because they were taught not too. Lol
I think hearing another point of view has little to do with it. It's not smart to start a thread talking about reasons for not coming to USC on a message board promoting athletes/students coming to USC. I think you can find more institutions out there to attack. I know for a fact if you were on a Clemson site doing that, you would have more to deal with than a deleted thread. You would probably be blacklisted.

Reactions: ForeUSC and PC31
I think hearing another point of view has little to do with it. It's not smart to start a thread talking about reasons for not coming to USC on a message board promoting athletes/students coming to USC. I think you can find more institutions out there to attack. I know for a fact if you were on a Clemson site doing that, you would have more to deal with than a deleted thread. You would probably be blacklisted.
There's no "probably" about it. TigerNet even has the "Tiger Pulse" thing. Your posts better be positive and get likes or you'll be on the way out.

And that’s your opinion. There are lots of reasons not to attend any university and people should discuss every one of them.

And that’s your opinion. There are lots of reasons not to attend any university and people should discuss every one of them.

And this is a tired, age-old argument. It's not YOUR website. Go start one, and YOU can initiate WHATEVER opinions YOU want to discuss. It's like a stranger walking into another man's house, and getting all triggered as to why he can't sleep over for the night in the man's bed. Even if no one wants to use THEIR website as a stage for YOUR opinion, doesn't mean you don't still get to have your opinion. YOUR issue is, you want more than that, even though no one has ever been allocated the right or privilege of that. It's entitlement that doesn't exist......

...and by "you", I don't mean YOU. I know you aren't the OP of this thread: its a generalization........

And this is a tired, age-old argument. It's not YOUR website. Go start one, and YOU can initiate WHATEVER opinions YOU want to discuss. It's like a stranger walking into another man's house, and getting all triggered as to why he can't sleep over for the night in the man's bed. Even if no one wants to use THEIR website as a stage for YOUR opinion, doesn't mean you don't still get to have your opinion. YOUR issue is, you want more than that, even though no one has ever been allocated the right or privilege of that. It's entitlement that doesn't exist......

...and by "you", I don't mean YOU. I know you aren't the OP of this thread: its a generalization........
I’m pretty sure It’s as much my website as yours and as much as you may hate it free speech is still hanging in there. SMH

I’m pretty sure It’s as much my website as yours and as much as you may hate it free speech is still hanging in there. SMH

It is neither our website, which is to my point. If any of MY posts here are deleted by the site administrators, I won't come back and post new threads calling them out for doing it, because it is their right to do it. And that doesn't impede my freedom of speech in any way - I proudly stand up for our rights. What I won't abide however, is "some" of us who think they have rights that they don't actually have, and that our Constitution not only NEVER gave them, but stand AGAINST their positions.

It's the defense AGAINST those like you who think you should dictate what rights YOU get to have, at the expense of others also having EQUAL rights, that is what our Constitution stands for. I have ZERO doubt that if this was TRULY your website, then you would be in here gladly deleting posters' posts when YOU don't agree with them, and saying "screw free speech".....

Reactions: ForeUSC
I receive at least an email a month from the University in the name of fundraising. So we are encouraged to give as much as we can, but opinion on direction is discouraged/censored. Sounds familiar.

The thread in question bordered on being a political post. The moderator, awhile back, said there are to be no political posts. It's like being invited to a party. If the home owner has certain rules for invitees to comply with, and you want to attend, then you need to comply if you want to attend. The great investor, Warren Buffett, used to always make political comments and observations. But, he recently said he stopped making them. Why? Because he found that his comments made a lot more people sustainably mad than temporarily happy. And some of those "mad" people took it out on his companies. The other sites I am on have the same prohibition as this site does and that includes an investment site I am on. And I can assure you that political news has infinitely more impact and relationship on and to investments than it does to sports. You all have a good evening. I'm out of here.

The thread in question bordered on being a political post. The moderator, awhile back, said there are to be no political posts. It's like being invited to a party. If the home owner has certain rules for invitees to comply with, and you want to attend, then you need to comply if you want to attend. The great investor, Warren Buffett, used to always make political comments and observations. But, he recently said he stopped making them. Why? Because he found that his comments made a lot more people sustainably mad than temporarily happy. And some of those "mad" people took it out on his companies. The other sites I am on have the same prohibition as this site does and that includes an investment site I am on. And I can assure you that political news has infinitely more impact and relationship on and to investments than it does to sports. You all have a good evening. I'm out of here.
So you're in an investment group that doesn't allow discussion of the political/macro views which drive fundamental analysis?

The thread in question bordered on being a political post. The moderator, awhile back, said there are to be no political posts. It's like being invited to a party. If the home owner has certain rules for invitees to comply with, and you want to attend, then you need to comply if you want to attend.

This might be a good point of there weren't other political threads that haven't been deleted.

It is neither our website, which is to my point. If any of MY posts here are deleted by the site administrators, I won't come back and post new threads calling them out for doing it, because it is their right to do it. And that doesn't impede my freedom of speech in any way - I proudly stand up for our rights. What I won't abide however, is "some" of us who think they have rights that they don't actually have, and that our Constitution not only NEVER gave them, but stand AGAINST their positions.

It's the defense AGAINST those like you who think you should dictate what rights YOU get to have, at the expense of others also having EQUAL rights, that is what our Constitution stands for. I have ZERO doubt that if this was TRULY your website, then you would be in here gladly deleting posters' posts when YOU don't agree with them, and saying "screw free speech".....
I’m pretty sure I didn’t infringe on anyones rights with my post but if you feel a certain way that’s your right I guess. Lol

That was nice of the moderators here to DM you about the thread. Lots of places just zap and go.
I am in the no politics camp. Zero Tolerance. The radicals on both sides can't help themselves and if you let it go will inject politics into half the threads on the board. Nobody is changing anybodies mind here on SCOOP.
JMO.

Reactions: taiwancock
I'm going to chime in as the manager of this site. I am pro free-speech. I grew up in the early days of the internet where it was the wild west. I generally try not to censor stuff on here. Someone said they can tell my political affiliation by what I censor, but....that would be surprising to me considering I think I've deleted threads on both sides of the aisle. This is not a political sub, it's a sports sub. I didn't have a problem with the topic mentioned (whether or not to send your kids to South Carolina), but within the thread itself, people began slinging mud in a way that didn't seem all that productive to the conversation at hand.

If you notice that I don't always delete threads, it's because I honestly don't sit here and read through every thread that is posted. The thread in question had someone report a few comments, which alerted me to the hate that was being spewed (I encourage people to use the Ignore button if someone is consistently annoying you.) When someone alerts the moderator, one of us checks it out, and if it has broken the Yahoo guidelines (my boss), we take care of it.

Hope this clears things up. Happy to have you all here as Gamecock fans passionate about talking South Carolina athletics. Any thread that doesn't fit that parameter is subject to be deleted if things get out of hand. Is what it is and oftentimes over my head.

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in as the manager of this site. I am pro free-speech. I grew up in the early days of the internet where it was the wild west. I generally try not to censor stuff on here. Someone said they can tell my political affiliation by what I censor, but....that would be surprising to me considering I think I've deleted threads on both sides of the aisle. This is not a political sub, it's a sports sub. I didn't have a problem with the topic mentioned (whether or not to send your kids to South Carolina), but within the thread itself, people began slinging mud in a way that didn't seem all that productive to the conversation at hand.

If you notice that I don't always delete threads, it's because I honestly don't sit here and read through every thread that is posted. The thread in question had someone report a few comments, which alerted me to the hate that was being spewed (I encourage people to use the Ignore button if someone is consistently annoying you.) When someone alerts the moderator, one of us checks it out, and if it has broken the Yahoo guidelines (my boss), we take care of it.

Hope this clears things up. Happy to have you all here as Gamecock fans passionate about talking South Carolina athletics. Any thread that doesn't fit that parameter is subject to be deleted if things get out of hand. Is what it is and oftentimes over my head.
Thanks for the response. I think that is the first time ever that a mod has actually responded. I try to keep things civil, though I am guilty at times of throwing out a few "morons" reply from time to time. I just wondered if I had missed maybe a few true racists show their colors; I would have had to go into attack mode if so....but again. Thanks for the clarification.

If you look at what I said, I was hardly calling anyone out, though I could have been a little less abrasive in my last sentence. The mods absolutely do have the right to delete threads, including threads I start because it is their site and not mine. I asked a simple question for a reason. I had wondered if some of the closet racists on this site had come in and I hadnt seen what they were saying, and I wondered what I had missed, plus I was just dumbfounded at how naive some of the posters here truly are. Carry on.

Did the OP insult someone, threaten someone or was being a bully?

I'm not sure how one takes being called "senthetive", or sensitive, or any other preferred variation of the word, and if they would call that necessarily an insult. But to call the moderators out as such, definitely falls into the definition of "calling them out", no matter how the OP refuses to accept this. You not only challenge them for their actions against you, but you unilaterally typecast them into a box, without even consulting them on the reasons why they did it.

And it's not like the OP was just asking a "question" - "ARE the moderators here senthetive??" - he went ahead and formed the conclusion to a false narrative: "I guess the moderators here are senthetive". SO that definitely falls into the arena of "calling someone out"......even if they may not be quite sure just what the hell "senthetive" even means......

Of course, if YOUR question I quoted above, and Lurker123's post above mine - that ALSO responds to your post - is more referring to the thread that got deleted, and not THIS thread, I have no idea how THAT OP phrased his OP - I never read it......

It seems as if many message boards, have reacted quite often like Twitter did when Jack owned it. You either agree with our opinion, or be banished.

Reactions: cocks rule

Caleb:

That's an excellent statement. As you might guess from my statement above, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Anyone who claims that you delete threads based on your "political affiliation", is being disingenuous in order to defend and deflect their making of political comments on a sports board. You have been an "equal opportunity" site manager when it comes to deleting threads. As you rightly say, this is not a political board. It's a sports board. As I stated above, I'm on various sites, including an investment pay site. EVERY message board I am on have a policy of no political comments. The investment site I am on allows comments on public policies because public policy does impact investments. But when someone starts to attack a public official, political party or political ideology, the site manager deletes the thread. If someone needs to discuss politics so that their sentimental heart beats wildly, all they have to do is to take the initiative by using google to find a political message board (right, left and middle). Such boards are out there. If anyone on this site continues to put their political trash on this sports board, after your statement on this thread, in defiance of Yahoo, Rivals and you, that unwise action is on that poster.

I will take a hiatus from this site, both posting and reading, until August. Major League baseball and the NBA playoffs do not interest me. So, have a good summer. I'll be back reading and posting in August. Goodbye, until then.

As I stated above, I'm on various sites, including an investment pay site. EVERY message board I am on have a policy of no political comments.

And I said before, this would make sense if there weren't still political threads still going. But it was a nice speech. Enjoy the hiatus, I will.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
I'm not sure how one takes being called "senthetive", or sensitive, or any other preferred variation of the word, and if they would call that necessarily an insult. But to call the moderators out as such, definitely falls into the definition of "calling them out", no matter how the OP refuses to accept this. You not only challenge them for their actions against you, but you unilaterally typecast them into a box, without even consulting them on the reasons why they did it.

And it's not like the OP was just asking a "question" - "ARE the moderators here senthetive??" - he went ahead and formed the conclusion to a false narrative: "I guess the moderators here are senthetive". SO that definitely falls into the arena of "calling someone out"......even if they may not be quite sure just what the hell "senthetive" even means......

Of course, if YOUR question I quoted above, and Lurker123's post above mine - that ALSO responds to your post - is more referring to the thread that got deleted, and not THIS thread, I have no idea how THAT OP phrased his OP - I never read it......
Yawn. You done yet?

But....but...what will we do, where will we go for non-partisan points of view? 😄

He just went to the new version of this board to argue with me, doing the "I'm replying to someone else and not you because I'm pretending to ignore you" thing.

The idea that any website is going to maintain separation between church and state in 2022 is delusional.

ESPN - The self-proclaimed "Worldwide Leader in Sports" has become as political as they come. It's all downstream from there.
There are plenty of sports message boards that successfully keep politics out. Do better. You are so weak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT