ADVERTISEMENT

Three thoughts from MBB exhibition

Alan Cole

Beat Reporter
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2022
Hey y'all, I went to another basketball scrimmage and had a few more thoughts. If you have any questions about players or Lamont Paris I didn't get to here, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for reading!

Good to hear about Johnson, the transfer. Alan, couple of questions: (1) What kind of turnovers did we mostly have? Violations? Poor passing? Dribbling errors? (2) Did we have good ball movement without so much dribbling? (3) Do we have any inside game? Scoring post players? (4) Playing hard defense? Getting back?

Thank you!!

Reactions: TAV31 and Alan Cole
Good to hear about Johnson, the transfer. Alan, couple of questions: (1) What kind of turnovers did we mostly have? Violations? Poor passing? Dribbling errors? (2) Did we have good ball movement without so much dribbling? (3) Do we have any inside game? Scoring post players? (4) Playing hard defense? Getting back?

Thank you!!
Thanks for getting back to me and reading the story. Here's my best attempt to answer these, from whatever you can take out of a Mars Hill game

1. Turnovers were a little bit of everything. Off the top of my head I can think of a few sloppy passes that were intercepted, two times where Mars Hill took a charge and a few where the timing on a pass was just off and the ball ended up being bobbled. Not really as much on the violations, at least that I can think of without the benefit of film to watch back.

2. I thought the ball movement was pretty good, and Lamont said as much post-game. I have a few videos on my Twitter (@Alan__Cole) that show it I think, but there were very few possessions I felt like were stagnant or just ISO. The assist numbers don't show it because shooting was a struggle, but the ball was moving around.

3. Inside game is going to be a big work in progress for this team, I think. I thought Daniel Hankins-Sanford showed a couple things inside, but Bosmans-Verdonk struggled down low and they're probably going to need more from Josh Gray in there. Most of the stuff inside was dribble-drive type offense as opposed to true post-up play.

4. Definitely hard defense, and that was another thing Lamont praised post-game. Did not think effort was an issue at any point, although there were some problems with getting beat off the dribble and some positional awareness at times (especially with the younger players).

Hope that answers your questions!

Hey y'all, I went to another basketball scrimmage and had a few more thoughts. If you have any questions about players or Lamont Paris I didn't get to here, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for reading!

I watched the replay on YouTube. Bottom line is that Mars Hill was obviously inferior in size yet they still managed to score inside. Bottom line is that we’ll still be a cellar-dweller.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Starting five against Mars Hill: Meechie Johnson, Chico Carter Jr, GG Jackson, Daniel Hawkins-Sanford and Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk. South Carolina shot 80 percent from free throw (8-10). South Carolina made 38 percent three-point shot. Mars Hill shot 27 percent for the entire game and six percent from three-point line. Did not get to see game and passing on information from box score sheet. Ready to see South Carolina play this Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT