ADVERTISEMENT

Throwback Thursday - The Good Ol' Days, SOS Edition

Chanticleer37

Sep 17, 2003
As we prepare for another season, I can't help but recall how sweet many of the Spurrier years were, especially the 5-year run versus our in-state rival and the three straight 11-win seasons. There were some down spots, but overall it was the headiest period of Gamecock Football, and Athletics, in my lifetime. Thanks Coach!

spurriershaw.jpg

steve_spurrier.jpg

spurrier.jpg

19218c5a44747c13ff7e8ac7e4c6c8c9

steve_spurrier.jpg

AR-801241305.jpg

As we prepare for another season, I can't help but recall how sweet many of the Spurrier years were, especially the 5-year run versus our in-state rival and the three straight 11-win seasons. There were some down spots, but overall it was the headiest period of Gamecock Football, and Athletics, in my lifetime. Thanks Coach!

spurriershaw.jpg

steve_spurrier.jpg

spurrier.jpg

steve_spurrier.jpg

AR-801241305.jpg

I missed those days, but can live without seeing the shirtless Spurrier... I just went blind...

I miss the HBC! I got to meet him, Corey Boyd, Jasper Brinkley, Melvin Ingram, and Jared Cook before the 2007 Spring game with my 2 boys. They were all great and signed a football for my kids.
Spurrier was cracking jokes and picking on those guys. Blake Mitchell and Smelley walked onto the field where we were standing and the jokes stopped. He fussed at them for not being the first guys on the field. We were introducing the under armor uniforms and he said they needed to do something today to make that uniform look good. He then looked at Corey and said you already make that uniform look good. Jasper then went off on Corey being coaches b**** and was laughing relentlessly at him as coach walked off.
My boys and I were amazed at how big everything looked from on the field. The players were huge. My boys joked about Jared Cooks hands being bigger than the football.
Yep, I miss that ole ball coach.

Everybody misses SOS. What a run he took USC on. Weird, but remember the Thusday game against A&M a few years back. The day before they had aired the special on Spurriers life, SEC Network set up in Columbia, all the attention, and excitement, and then that game was where it all started to fall apart.

Agree.
Most of the great plays and players in the history of Gamecock football came from that era. Such a rich history in that 10 year run.

spurriershaw.jpg

steve_spurrier.jpg

spurrier.jpg

steve_spurrier.jpg

AR-801241305.jpg

This makes me very frustrated & very sad. I don’t expect to ever experience those levels of thrills ever again.

I will never forget the feeling of walking into our stadium with confidence in that we could and would make the plays need to have a chance and come 4th quarter close it out. Many a great post games, and after after parties & watching the replay Sunday with a hangover like a badge of honor, rocking the garnet & black all week, especially when traveling for work.......

nothing like it.

I love winning man, youknow, it’s so much better than losing (Bull Durham)

I will never forget the feeling of walking into our stadium with confidence in that we could and would make the plays need to have a chance and come 4th quarter close it out. Many a great post games, and after after parties & watching the replay Sunday with a hangover like a badge of honor, rocking the garnet & black all week, especially when traveling for work.......

nothing like it.

I love winning man, youknow, it’s so much better than losing (Bull Durham)

Amen, I remember walking into Sanford Stadium in Athens, knowing we were going to beat a damn good UGA team, and even when we were down, I knew Spurrier would dial something up...and he did. Our defense was raw and nasty. We had monster WRs. Almost always had a good TE. When Shaw was our QB, I always knew we had a chance.

Golden years, for sure.

Here’s the thing ... no matter how big the talent gap was every coach in the SEC feared going against SOS . Even at the very lowest depths of his program here he was still feared like a wounded animal . Every game with Spurrier on the sidelines I felt like we had a shot against anybody . Now I feel like every game could be an L . Crazy how quickly things change .

Here’s the thing ... no matter how big the talent gap was every coach in the SEC feared going against SOS . Even at the very lowest depths of his program here he was still feared like a wounded animal . Every game with Spurrier on the sidelines I felt like we had a shot against anybody . Now I feel like every game could be an L . Crazy how quickly things change .
You just summed up the Muschamp years.

Everybody misses SOS. What a run he took USC on. Weird, but remember the Thusday game against A&M a few years back. The day before they had aired the special on Spurriers life, SEC Network set up in Columbia, all the attention, and excitement, and then that game was where it all started to fall apart.
That still don’t take away finishing in the top 10. I’d take that again any year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT