ADVERTISEMENT

***TICKET SCAMMER THREAD - Post scammers' names here***

THEusccocks

Aug 19, 2001
a note of warning

I posted last week looking for lower level tickets, and got a call from a guy offering 2 or four tickets in section 21 on row 14 or 15. I will not go into the whole story, but in a nutshell it was one of those "too good to be true" things. He claimed to live in Chicago, and had a relative who was a professor at USC (I think he said his dad), who had passed away but they still got the tickets. He wanted to sell these great seats at face value. To top it off, he wanted me to Western Union him the money, then he would Fed Ex the package. I asked how I would know he was sending the tickets, he said he would send a confirmation number. When I started getting a little hesitant, he bailed.

It is possible the guy was legit, but there were several things that set my alarms off. I would just like to warn everyone to never wire money to someone first without confirmation by some means that what has been promised has been sent, particularly if you don't know who you are dealing with and the thing sounds too good to be true! I hope no USC fans get burnt here. If we are smart they will have to prey on Clemson...

Warning - possible scam.....

I received a phone call from a man 2 days ago. (My phone # was posted under a ticket request.)

His story:

His dad had purchased tickets for 29 years.
His dad lived in Greenville, until he died.

The son (seller) is an architect, who was transferred to Miami.
Yet, he still buys the tickets under his dad's name.

His (5) tickets are supposedly in Sect. 5, Row 30.
These are prime seats, that he's willing to sell for cost? To the UGA, Wofford, LSU and UT games. UAB is not available. Also, he couldn't pronounce Wofford correctly...LOL. Almost 2 good 2 be true?

I told him I'd think it over and get back to him. And, asked for a name and phone number.
The seller was hesitant to give me a name.
He appeared just as hesitant to give me a number.

I never did ask how he intended to make the exchange.

Now, however, when I call the number he gave me....it turns out it is a fax machine.

------------------------

Anyway, my vibe tells me this could be someone up to no good. So, be careful if you receive a phone call from someone.

This account sounds very similar to the "push pinned" warning by TheUSCcocks posted on this forum, about a guy in Chicago. May be the same guy, maybe not.

-----------------------------------

P.S.
If you're the person who called me with these tickets, and your situation is legit....then I truly apologize. But, the way you presented the situation set off some "bad vibes" and triggered that 6th sense of warning.
This post was edited on 9/11 10:17 AM by Rooster Louie
This post was edited on 9/11 10:22 AM by Rooster Louie

Re: Warning - possible scam.....

I had that same phone call about 3 years ago. Be careful Gamecock nation!!!

I received the E-X-A-C-T same phone call earlier this summer!

Ditto, scam for sure. Dude was all nice and sweet then got real pushy when I said I'd think about it.

Word of WARNING

I was looking for 6 USC/Ga tickets on the board a month ago and got an email from a guy from North Augusta, who said he had 2 tickets in lower level for $300. I paid through Paypal promptly and he came back and said he found 4 more from a friend that were in section 2 for $550. Again I paid promptly. I waited and waited and no tickets. 2 weeks before the game came and he told me he mailed them out. The week of the game comes and no tickets. He tells me he will look into it. He said he did not send them with any tracking info. He calls me back and said his neighbor took them out of his mailbox and sold them at school for $25 ea. He did refund the money. Hard story to believe but it gets better. He tells me he has gotten the 4 LSU and 4 Tenn tickets in Sect 2 if I wanted them. I paid over face for these as well. I paid for them on 09/07/08. I spoke to him on a every other day basis and he still had not mailed them out as of 09/22/08. He said he had not had time but promised me he would. I would text him everyday asking for a tracking number and got the same response, will have it tomorrow. Well finally he tells me he is going to the Post Office on the 23rd and actually did send me a tracking number. Well the tracking number never worked on USPS.com. A package did arrive today though. I open it up and there sits a Blackberry Phone. I call him and he said that was suppose to go to a guy in Texas who won it off Ebay. I asked for his Ebay ID and got nothing but excuses. He would not give me his ID. So the jist of the whole story is I sent this person a total of $1330 and still yet to have seen any tickets. I also missed the Ga game because I could not find 6 more in time. Keep this guyin mind if you are ever looking for tickets. Again, he was located in North Augusta.
This post was edited on 9/25 3:33 PM by GC Moderator

Reactions: Bcalvert4
Re: Word of WARNING

It's not worth the risk to pay that much for a ticket without actually meeting the person.

Re: Word of WARNING

ppsicocks,

Sorry to hear about your troubles trying to purchase tickets. I have a friend that has been in the GCC for 10+ years and has moved to NC for a job. He hardly attends games because of the drive. I know he is looking for someone to split his membership so he can keep his membership active.
he hopes to make it back to SC in a few years and would hate to give up the seats in the short term.

If you are interested in 4-6 tickets in the West upper leave your e-mail and I will pass it on to him. Also, he has pretty good priority and can get tickets to most away games.

Good luck.

Do not purchase from the below - theif. Never paid for tickets received. I do not want other good Gamecock fans to fall prey to him.

joe shirey
north augusta, sc
joeanestech@yahoo.com

This post was edited on 2/4 7:37 PM by GC Moderator

This post was edited on 9/30 9:12 PM by uscbeckham

Reactions: cockofdawn
Re: TICKET SCAMMER

I will post his name week during football season. He messed with the wrong guy

He has messed with a bunch of guys. I can't believe he is not in jail yet. Is there any law enforcement reading this? If so whats the best way to handle a guy like this?

Are you Joe? In Cognito?

This guys is a criminal and if you want we should ban together drive to August and "F" His "A" Up

Reactions: Closer22

I just wish he would simply pay and do what he says he is going to do. But he doesnt.

Holy crap I was scammed by this guy for 400 bucks for 2 front row concert tickets back in October. He is a POS!!!
chairshot.gif

Hell I just looked this address up and it's about 35 minutes from my house .....I'm in for kicking his ass .....who's with me. I also have some very good friends in law enforcement and at the least I think he should be paid a visit by the men in blue.......

So what does he do .... have you mail the tickets and then never sends payment?

Go read the word of warning at the top of this board. That will let you know a little of what he does.

Originally posted by 9ocock:
Put him in jail already. Ya'll know his name and address.

What? When they can all get on here and talk about doing something instead of doing what's unbelievably easy to do?

Hey Boarderbash: Shoot me your phone number since you know this guy and like this guy so well.

He owes me $750. Told me last February his Dad passed away but from what VA says during this past football season his Dad was just sick again. Border if you can guide this guy to man up it would be good. He has called me and disappeared and everytime promised to pay but NEVER DOES

Reactions: cocknjax

This whole thing started with soem BS about his dad being in the emergency room around the Wofford game and he was sorry about sending the tickets. I'm going to dig up the entire email string and post it here.

He recently emailed me and asked me to take his nameoff teh board b/c he was getting threatening phone calls. Said he's send me a tracking number today...ummhummm. When the check clears, I'll give him props and take his name down, but until then - no way. Not after readingh all this.

PPCOCK - those were probably my tickets he sold you for the 300.

If the guy is really having all these problems you could believe him if he would just show some good intentions of fixing it all.
This post was edited on 2/4 8:32 AM by gamecock_94

The situation certainly stinks, but I am curious about something. Why are people sending tickets without actually exchanging money? On the few occasions I have sold tickets I always did so in person and asked for cash...it always clears the bank.

10 Days ago after posting all his info I started getting emails from him again saying that he was getting calls to his house, etc etc and that he was sending me a MONEY ORDER but he did not want to send me the tracking number b/c he was worried that I'd post that too (as if that info was somehow important to anyone other than the guy getting the monery order)...So the check has been in the mail for 10 days. And he reads this board, because he references it in his emails

JOE - send my money or this will not stop. I will post your name, address and phone number on this board and others every single week telling everyone not to transact with you becuase you are a liar and a thief. $110 bucks. And it sounds like you owe others money too...

He emailed me last week and told me he was sending me some of my money on Friday but I recieved nothing so far and he doesn't respond.

My situation with Joe was a face to face deal and there was reasons we did it like we did.

Yeah, whenever I've sold tickets, I either get them to pay me through Paypal or meet me somewhere with the money. You can't trust anybody these days. Times are tough and that's when the crooks really come out of the woodwork.

Re: TICKET SCAMMER - JOE SHIREY, NORTH AUGUSTA

UPDATE - I got in touch with him last week and he said he would send me money. Even called me the next day and said he sent it...7 Days later - nothing. Shocking. Continue to stay very far away from anyone using the above info. His cell is still the same but he claims not to be using the internet anymore. He has yet to realize that I will not stop...

Called me AGAIn and said he's sending it...unbelievable that this guy actually keeps telling me "I just sent it" over and over. I'm heading to N Augusta soon for the Marine Corps reserve training - I'm gonna round up some of my buds and pay him a visit.

He told me the same things and I've never seen a dime. Now he has totally disappeared. I never wanted to do anything that would bring legal issues but that is what is sad that he has just gotten away with all this.

Send me his address. I'll be in North Augusta on Martintown Rd. Tuesday.

I cannot get your money, but I CAN disrupt his entire world.

Sorry - Just saw this or I would have given you the address.
joe shirey
16 red maple ct
north augusta, sc 29841
706-825-8159

This post was edited on 7/1 9:22 PM by VACock1990

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT