ADVERTISEMENT

Tim, a caller into 107.5 today.

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
So today a guy named Tim (I think) called into 107.5 between 1p and 2p.
He said that the ECU game was the worse USC game he had ever watched.
I almost ran off the road laughing
The worse?????
Fla State at USC in 1988 stands out in my memory.
How about the Clemson beat down in our own stadium
The VA bowl game?
So many to choose from in my lifetime.

If that is the worse USC game Tim has ever watched, he is a blessed fan lol.

Lol, what was he 14?

Funny story about that FSU game in 88. I was staying at my brother's place at Bates West and brought a friend from Conway to see it. Probably halfway through the third quarter we left to go get some beer and do something else. Got hungry later and went over to the steak and ale in West Columbia. Walked in and it was full of FSU fans. They looked at us in our gamecock gear and started doing the tomahawk chop and chant. We just turned around left.

Pizza was fine after that.

Lol, what was he 14?

Funny story about that FSU game in 88. I was staying at my brother's place at Bates West and brought a friend from Conway to see it. Probably halfway through the third quarter we left to go get some beer and do something else. Got hungry later and went over to the steak and ale in West Columbia. Walked in and it was full of FSU fans. They looked at us in our gamecock gear and started doing the tomahawk chop and chant. We just turned around left.

Yes I honestly think I have PTSD from that Fla State game lol

The worse?????
The VA bowl game?

Flew from California for that FSU game. What a miserable experience.

Lol, what was he 14?

Like I posted yesterday, the current free fall of the Semiholes couldn't happen to a 'nicer' fandom.

Lol, what was he 14?

Funny story about that FSU game in 88. I was staying at my brother's place at Bates West and brought a friend from Conway to see it.
Saw the above and just had to tell you that I did that very exact thing in regards to crashing at my buddy's place at Bates West! Only I did it in 84 when I was a senior in high school, and my "buddy" that I brought with me was actually a hot little gal that was actually a freshman at Wofford that semester!!

Just thought I'd mention such. Lord knows Bates West has prolly seen a few things over the years!!

Also, we beat Pitt that night to go 5 and 0!! Had a WONDERFUL time in 5 Points that night!! AWESOME it was!!

Saw the above and just had to tell you that I did that very exact thing in regards to crashing at my buddy's place at Bates West! Only I did it in 84 when I was a senior in high school, and my "buddy" that I brought with me was actually a hot little gal that was actually a freshman at Wofford that semester!!

Just thought I'd mention such. Lord knows Bates West has prolly seen a few things over the years!!

Also, we beat Pitt that night to go 5 and 0!! Had a WONDERFUL time in 5 Points that night!! AWESOME it was!!
I remember The first time or two I slept that Bates West I was awakened at 4:00 a.m. by the damn train running under the building. Good Lawd!

Yeah, that Clemson game. Took my B-I-L, a Clemson grad. It was so bad, he didn't say a word the whole game...not one ribbing, NOTHING....after the game, all he said was "C'mon, I think you need a stiff drink." Now THAT's an embarassing game.

No kidding….the worst I have ever felt is when they beat us so bad your tater friends and family avoid talking to you or about the game. Now that’s sad.

Lol, what was he 14?

Where was the Steak and Ale in W Columbia?

Yeah, that Clemson game. Took my B-I-L, a Clemson grad. It was so bad, he didn't say a word the whole game...not one ribbing, NOTHING....after the game, all he said was "C'mon, I think you need a stiff drink." Now THAT's an embarassing game.
Well, I tell ya this much in regards to that humiliation of a rivalry game, myself and my life long buddy, who is now a very prominent counselor within the Cola/Lexi area, well let me just cut to the point: before the halftime show was even close to being complete, he and I were at a then TOTALLY PACKED strip club over off Stoneridge Dr., that I do not believe is there any longer!! Suffice it to say, we did all we could to get our mind off that game for a while!!

went into that game, put my head in my hands after the first score (maybe 2 minutes into the game) then got up and walked out after the second score (maybe 4.5 minutes into the game). I knew it wasn’t our day.

went back to our tailgate and offered my ticket (never scanned) to a tater friend and even he declined. We all watched from there and got hammered!!!

The worse?????
The VA bowl game?

He just started watching gamecocks this season lol

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
There were 2 Steak and Ales in Columbia - neither was in WC. They were on Forest Drive and St. Andrews Rd.
I don't know it was a long time ago. I guess that was in Cayce. I thought it was just across the bridge or not too far on blossom Street. Hell maybe it wasn't even a steak and ale, maybe it was something else. Maybe I was just drunk enough that wherever my brother drove us I thought I was somewhere else,!

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
The worse?????
The VA bowl game?

Sorry to be the grammar police, but please: “Worst”.

The ECU win was far from the worst I have seen- I was at the Pappa John’s Bowl! Miserable game: so cold, disgusting stadium, team didn’t even TRY! Hell, I’d say the ECU game was better than the EIU game- we came back on the road despite adversity… There is nothing about that game I define as the worst we have seen from this team!

The Navy game truly deflated the entire school. The atmosphere was electric at school until then. Lots of other awful games I have watched and attended. Papa Johns was just miserable. But did not affect me for long other than I won't go to a bowl in Alabama.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
The worse?????
The VA bowl game?

Lots of good responses, and lots of good candidates for the worst game. As I'm sure every program has.

The ECU game wasn't pretty, but I'm very happy to leave there with a win, because they are tough there.

I'm also reminded of 1984, our best year, we only managed a 31-24 win vs Citadel in the opener. So thus I don't believe a poor showing necessarily means a terrible season will follow. (Although it might.)

Reactions: gr8spur
Apparently Tim wasn't at the ECU game (Can't remember the year) in a freakin monsoon in our own stadium. A miserable night all around.

Reactions: heavycock
I don't know it was a long time ago. I guess that was in Cayce. I thought it was just across the bridge or not too far on blossom Street. Hell maybe it wasn't even a steak and ale, maybe it was something else. Maybe I was just drunk enough that wherever my brother drove us I thought I was somewhere else,!
Pretty sure it was Swain's Steak House

Certainly not the worst I've ever seen, but it was frustrating as heck. For most of the game it felt like vintage 1990s Gamecock football.

Reactions: Brace1
The guy probably was talking about the way we won the game. I don’t know maybe he didn’t like the teams execution, but anyway it definitely wasn’t the worst Gamecock game I’ve seen, and we’ve had wins that looked worse than Saturday’s game in Greenville NC.

Sorry to be the grammar police, but please: “Worst”.

The ECU win was far from the worst I have seen- I was at the Pappa John’s Bowl! Miserable game: so cold, disgusting stadium, team didn’t even TRY! Hell, I’d say the ECU game was better than the EIU game- we came back on the road despite adversity… There is nothing about that game I define as the worst we have seen from this team!
No worries about the grammar correction lol. You are correct my friend!

Overall History: 1988 vs. FSU
Modern History: 2018 Belk Bowl
Honorable Mention: The collector's series of games versus Clemson under Muschamp

LOL the ECU game isn’t even in the top 100 worse Gamecock football games in my lifetime. Tim must be months old, last year there were six or seven games in 2020 worse than the ECU game.

Reactions: gamecockjosh
Without too much thought, I could probably come up with 30-40 games that were worse (I started attending games in Richard Bell's one and only season, and of course that year we lost to Furman, so there's one). Heck, as someone pointed out above, it's not even the worst ECU game in relatively recent memory, as Scott Harley ran all over us in an absolutely miserable monsoon (was there until the bitter end). As I recall, he was one of four or five players who were named a conference or national offensive player of the week after playing against Wally Burnham's defense that year... want to say opposing players may have gone back-to-back-to-back against us for that honor.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
I started thinking back to all of the awful games I've been to or watched on TV over the years so I could post them here for discussion, then quickly decided "no, I don't want to play this game" 😂😫

• Haha
Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT