ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a National Championship in football

Interesting idea. Do you realize that if the ACC and SEC and four other teams played a double elimination tournament, it would only take seven weeks? You would have a wider champion if you add Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska, which want to play. Add a few more teams and still have a reasonable number of weeks. Let the Sun Belt and whoever qualify a team in their own tournament and add them to the mix.

Imagine.....Big show to announce it and draw the positions/opponents. American interest would be massive. Vegas would go crazy. A true national College football champion. And by the time of the championship, add the fans hopefully.

New Zealand: 101+ days without Covid.

South Korea nipped Covid in the bud (but y'all don't believe that). Super urban and dense nation.

Vietnam and Thailand and Japan quelled it.

I was hoping that our huge personal space bubbles and private cars in the USA would help us, but here we are.

Nope.... But you are on the right path.. China is the reason we may not have football.

South Korea nipped Covid in the bud (but y'all don't believe that). Super urban and dense nation.

I was hoping that our huge personal space bubbles and private cars in the USA would help us, but here we are.
New Zealand just reported a new case and cases have emerged in South Korea. I have a friend who lives in Japan and he says it’s still over there, nowhere near the scale in the U.S but it’s still a problem.

Pretty bad comparisons. Awful, actually. For different reasons, though. I don't know why people keep making these terrible comparisons.

New Zealand is basically Colorado, in terms of land mass and population. So, you're talking about a whole country that's the size of one US state. The logistics are not at all comparable.

South Korea is even smaller, roughly the size of Indiana. There is a much greater population, but with such small land area, it's again much easier logistically to coordinate a response.

The US is the 4th largest country in the world based on land mass. On top of that, we are comprised of 50 individual states, each with their own state health departments. And within each state, many counties have their own health departments. Each state is free to set their own guidelines, sometimes even on a county-by-county basis. There are over 3,000 counties in the United States.

Countries like New Zealand and South Korea don't have to worry about such layers of complexity. They just say "this is what our country is doing." For their miniscule size, it's FAR easier to marshall resources and implement interventions.

Reactions: Expro19
Land mass is irrelevant. This is 2020, not 1620. The Pony Express is long gone.

Do you really think those other nations don't have local administrations too?

The difference is that our population denied the problem and still thinks they can pray this away. And our nation lacked preparedness, consistent responses, available public health infrastructure, and yes: effective national leadership.

Pretty bad comparisons. Awful, actually. For different reasons, though. I don't know why people keep making these terrible comparisons.

New Zealand is basically Colorado, in terms of land mass and population. So, you're talking about a whole country that's the size of one US state. The logistics are not at all comparable.

South Korea is even smaller, roughly the size of Indiana. There is a much greater population, but with such small land area, it's again much easier logistically to coordinate a response.

The US is the 4th largest country in the world based on land mass. On top of that, we are comprised of 50 individual states, each with their own state health departments. And within each state, many counties have their own health departments. Each state is free to set their own guidelines, sometimes even on a county-by-county basis. There are over 3,000 counties in the United States.

Countries like New Zealand and South Korea don't have to worry about such layers of complexity. They just say "this is what our country is doing." For their miniscule size, it's FAR easier to marshall resources and implement interventions.

You do know that those are islands who can easily....ahhhh forget it, if you don't know why these folks are doing well then it's useless for me to engage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT