ADVERTISEMENT

Time to beach about things

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
With all the jubilation over the weekend results, i realize no one wanted to talk about these issues the last few days...So here we go:

1. WBB our ladies played an awful offensive game Sunday...I know ASU is tough defensively, very physical, borderline dirty...But that is no excuse for all the missed layups and gimme's inside 8 ft...Cuevas(my fav player) missed 4 layups...Gray missed 3..Kaela missed 2 layups and a bunnie from 3 ft...A'ja missed 4 or 5 Bunnies from 5 ft that usually she can kick in blind folded...Coach Staley's performance after we built a 10 point lead with 4:50 to go is a mystery to rival the construction of the pyramids..The result is a fortunate 3 point win over a team we should have waxed by 20 points...I know you have games like this in the tournament..But it should not happen on your home floor..It's like they were over confident...I don't think they even played hard until they got down 11 in the 3rd..

2. MBB...The officiating in college basketball is simply horrific...Once we got a lead with less than 6 minutes to go, the refs seemed to decide Duke deserved their help...Two of the most obvious charges i have ever seen, were called blocks for no other reason than we were beating Duke...I admire CFM for not getting ejected..Those calls were just awful...That Jefferson kid from Duke that blocked all the shots, got away with murder...He also stood in the paint 4-5 seconds on nearly every Duke possession...

3. Hassani Gravett needs to know the purpose of taking a shot is to toss the ball thru the hoop...He is so reluctant to shoot, the odds of him making one or two are very slim...CFM needs to lock him in the gym until he knocks down 100 jumpers per day...With his shooting percentage that would take some time

4. Seide Keita is gonna be a baller once he gets his shooting touch back...That broken wrist really ruined his season..But i see a lot of baller in the young man...He just needs his shooting stroke back..I saw him play in high school...You would not think it's the same player..He could knock down jumpers all the way out to the 3 pt line...Now he is lucky to have a shot hit the rim

Reactions: king ward
2. Agreed. And I'm not just whining about calls against the Gamecocks either (not saying that you were). I've been watching some college bball throughout this season, and officiating is ALL.OVER. THE. PLACE! Across the board - watch almost any game - it's terrible. One guy gets mauled with no call, and the next time, it's like the old in-the-vicinity-of-the-bag DP call in baseball - a defender gets CLOSE to the shooter and it's an automatic foul - automatic. Simply astounding.
Oh, and the carrying / palming no-calls......ugh. :rolleyes:

Reactions: lawcalcock
2. Agreed. And I'm not just whining about calls against the Gamecocks either (not saying that you were). I've been watching some college bball throughout this season, and officiating is ALL.OVER. THE. PLACE! Across the board - watch almost any game - it's terrible. One guy gets mauled with no call, and the next time, it's like the old in-the-vicinity-of-the-bag DP call in baseball - a defender gets CLOSE to the shooter and it's an automatic foul - automatic. Simply astounding.
Oh, and the carrying / palming no-calls......ugh. :rolleyes:
It's not just MBB. This has been the case in many of our Lady Gamecocks' games as well.

With all the jubilation over the weekend results, i realize no one wanted to talk about these issues the last few days...So here we go:

1. WBB our ladies played an awful offensive game Sunday...I know ASU is tough defensively, very physical, borderline dirty...But that is no excuse for all the missed layups and gimme's inside 8 ft...Cuevas(my fav player) missed 4 layups...Gray missed 3..Kaela missed 2 layups and a bunnie from 3 ft...A'ja missed 4 or 5 Bunnies from 5 ft that usually she can kick in blind folded...Coach Staley's performance after we built a 10 point lead with 4:50 to go is a mystery to rival the construction of the pyramids..The result is a fortunate 3 point win over a team we should have waxed by 20 points...I know you have games like this in the tournament..But it should not happen on your home floor..It's like they were over confident...I don't think they even played hard until they got down 11 in the 3rd..

2. MBB...The officiating in college basketball is simply horrific...Once we got a lead with less than 6 minutes to go, the refs seemed to decide Duke deserved their help...Two of the most obvious charges i have ever seen, were called blocks for no other reason than we were beating Duke...I admire CFM for not getting ejected..Those calls were just awful...That Jefferson kid from Duke that blocked all the shots, got away with murder...He also stood in the paint 4-5 seconds on nearly every Duke possession...

3. Hassani Gravett needs to know the purpose of taking a shot is to toss the ball thru the hoop...He is so reluctant to shoot, the odds of him making one or two are very slim...CFM needs to lock him in the gym until he knocks down 100 jumpers per day...With his shooting percentage that would take some time

4. Seide Keita is gonna be a baller once he gets his shooting touch back...That broken wrist really ruined his season..But i see a lot of baller in the young man...He just needs his shooting stroke back..I saw him play in high school...You would not think it's the same player..He could knock down jumpers all the way out to the 3 pt line...Now he is lucky to have a shot hit the rim
Agree 100% on 3 and 4. Gravett air balled a wide-open 12 footer against Duke. In addition he missed several wide-open 3's. I think he is reluctant to shoot because he has zero confidence in his stroke. Hopefully he gains confidence this summer. There is no way that he could be this poor of a shooter. I'm not sure of his shooting % but has to be in the 25% range from the field.

Keita will be a force next year. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see our current starting center (who I think is going to be very good also) come off the bench. Keita adds a ton of athletic ability. Keita and Silva will be tough to stop next year. Keita will also give Silva some relief on defense. Silva always plays the opposing teams best big-man and picks up critical fouls. Keita could take on that role next year (guarding the best big-man) to help keep Silva out of foul trouble. Keita will be needed against the long, athletic Baylor team.

It's not just MBB. This has been the case in many of our Lady Gamecocks' games as well.

You had to be at the WBB game Sunday to see how bad it was...I don't think TV could do it justice...I had a good view of the 4rth foul called on A'Ja...There was just nothing there even resembling a foul..It's as if that ref decided he was gonna hang one on Aja as soon as she got down court...Just as an ASU defender got near her, he blew the whistle and made an absurd call...A'ja was so frustrated she walked all the way down the court muttering something...I think Dawn took her out of the game only because she was so upset with the call...You have to understand the mugging Wilson took all day long as ASU subbed in an array of 6'3" and 6'4" goons just to pound on her...The ASU gameplan was just to beat on her for 40 minutes...Yet Wilson got tapped with 2 phantom fouls

Reactions: vacock#
Am i the only one that thinks ASU was a borderline cheap and dirty basketball team...Watching all their rough house tactics while their HBC whined and cried about every call left me nauscious...I wanted the Gamecock to blow their asses up...I don't think our girls felt threatened until they were down 11 in the 3rd..

Am i the only one that thinks ASU was a borderline cheap and dirty basketball team...Watching all their rough house tactics while their HBC whined and cried about every call left me nauscious...I wanted the Gamecock to blow their asses up...I don't think our girls felt threatened until they were down 11 in the 3rd..
Agree with you BUT if I were their coach I would have tried the same tactics. Goal is to win the game and that was their ONLY chance.

I was at the UGA and MSU games, and the officiating was HORRID. And don't get me started on the UT game.
I watched the game on Sunday, and was losing it in my living room. If I heard the commentators mention one more time about how upset ASU was after the first game because it was so physical (one girl ended up with stiches in her chin after - cry me a damn river), I was going to explode. They were VERY physical, taking all kinds of cheap shots on Sunday to see what they could get away with, and they got away with a lot. The ultimate irony was their coach complaining about contact and getting T'd up for it. I loved that moment.

I was at the UGA and MSU games, and the officiating was HORRID. And don't get me started on the UT game.
I watched the game on Sunday, and was losing it in my living room. If I heard the commentators mention one more time about how upset ASU was after the first game because it was so physical (one girl ended up with stiches in her chin after - cry me a damn river), I was going to explode. They were VERY physical, taking all kinds of cheap shots on Sunday to see what they could get away with, and they got away with a lot. The ultimate irony was their coach complaining about contact and getting T'd up for it. I loved that moment.

Funny thing is you couldn't see all the cheap shots on tv...So the fans in the stands had twice the reasons to be ticked off...It was straight up thug basketball...Yeah you can compete with a vastly superior team if the refs allow you to beat them up physical...There were several occasions when i thought A'ja and Kaela were ready to fight...I admire their composure to play thru all that nonsense

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
You had to be at the WBB game Sunday to see how bad it was...I don't think TV could do it justice...I had a good view of the 4rth foul called on A'Ja...There was just nothing there even resembling a foul..It's as if that ref decided he was gonna hang one on Aja as soon as she got down court...Just as an ASU defender got near her, he blew the whistle and made an absurd call...A'ja was so frustrated she walked all the way down the court muttering something...I think Dawn took her out of the game only because she was so upset with the call...You have to understand the mugging Wilson took all day long as ASU subbed in an array of 6'3" and 6'4" goons just to pound on her...The ASU gameplan was just to beat on her for 40 minutes...Yet Wilson got tapped with 2 phantom fouls
The television coverage never showed the 4th foul. Wilson was behind the defense in the lane, waiting for a pass that would have resulted in a layup. The whistle blew. Nobody was near her. I guess they said she pushed somebody off, but if she did it must have been one heck of a push.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I imagine a lot of Duke fans feel that way about our men's team because of the physicality - don't you think? However, I did find the entire ASU approach aggravating, even infuriating. But they get a lot of mileage out of it. Whoever my coach is, in any sport, I want him/her to contest anything, to work any angle to help us win. There might come a time when we don't have this much talent is all I'm trying to say.

Also, and I know this is off-topic, as much as the stature of the women's game has progressed, but even with the smaller ball, it's sometimes hard to watch. Even good teams like ours lose control of the basketball regularly - lots of lost dribbles, bad passes, people falling down, and awkward shots. It's hard to believe the women's game will ever feature the ball skills of the men's game. So when you're getting pushed around, it looks even worse than when it happens in the men's game. And then you have the greater incidence of stress fractures, joint injuries, etc. [These aren't complaints, just general observations]. .

I imagine a lot of Duke fans feel that way about our men's team because of the physicality - don't you think? However, I did find the entire ASU approach aggravating, even infuriating. But they get a lot of mileage out of it. Whoever my coach is, in any sport, I want him/her to contest anything, to work any angle to help us win. There might come a time when we don't have this much talent is all I'm trying to say.

Also, and I know this is off-topic, as much as the stature of the women's game has progressed, but even with the smaller ball, it's sometimes hard to watch. Even good teams like ours lose control of the basketball regularly - lots of lost dribbles, bad passes, people falling down, and awkward shots. It's hard to believe the women's game will ever feature the ball skills of the men's game. So when you're getting pushed around, it looks even worse than when it happens in the men's game. And then you have the greater incidence of stress fractures, joint injuries, etc. [These aren't complaints, just general observations]. .

Our men's basketball team is very physical no doubts..But there is never anything cheap and dirty about our approach...You had to be there to see what ASU goons did off the ball...I thought Aja and Kaela were ready to fight at times...Just because you aren't good enough to guard a player doesn't give you the right to beat them up...If you were there to see what wasn't called compared to what was, it would blow your mind...As another poster agreed, the 4rth foul called on A'ja was an absolute lie and a disgrace to the sport...

I prefer to watch the WBB to the men...Probably because our Women's program is so great...I do get your point..There is a lot of bad basketball being played...But that's true of the men's game as well

The television coverage never showed the 4th foul. Wilson was behind the defense in the lane, waiting for a pass that would have resulted in a layup. The whistle blew. Nobody was near her. I guess they said she pushed somebody off, but if she did it must have been one heck of a push.

That's one of quite a few calls that lead me to believe some refs have an interest in point spreads and outcomes...That call was not a mistake it was a lie...As you pointed out she was wide open and about get a sure layup..It was as if the ref noticed and blew the whistle just to stop the play...he tagged her with a 4rth foul for the heck of it..All of this nonsense is not incompetence...Some of it is corruption...The NCAA is unwilling to deal with it because they don't want to deal with the blow back of crooked officials and gambling scandals...

The minimum age for officials is around 50 I'm guessing. They're 100% too old to keep up with the game. I'm in my late 30s and I think I'd be boarder line to be able to pull it off physically and I have 20/20 vision still.

The minimum age for officials is around 50 I'm guessing. They're 100% too old to keep up with the game. I'm in my late 30s and I think I'd be boarder line to be able to pull it off physically and I have 20/20 vision still.
"boarder line"? I like that. Try "borderline."

Our men's basketball team is very physical no doubts..But there is never anything cheap and dirty about our approach...You had to be there to see what ASU goons did off the ball...I thought Aja and Kaela were ready to fight at times...Just because you aren't good enough to guard a player doesn't give you the right to beat them up...If you were there to see what wasn't called compared to what was, it would blow your mind...As another poster agreed, the 4rth foul called on A'ja was an absolute lie and a disgrace to the sport...

I prefer to watch the WBB to the men...Probably because our Women's program is so great...I do get your point..There is a lot of bad basketball being played...But that's true of the men's game as well
I used to sit in the old coliseum and marvel at how the tar Heels got way with the stuff they did off the ball. The grabbing was terrible. But I would coach a man-to-man team to do it the same way. Very disruptive.

I used to sit in the old coliseum and marvel at how the tar Heels got way with the stuff they did off the ball. The grabbing was terrible. But I would coach a man-to-man team to do it the same way. Very disruptive.

If you can get away with it, why not???

Hopefully Keita can make the same FR to SO jump that Silva did; he has to improve offensively to ever be any sort of a factor for us. When he's in the game at present, we are playing 4 on 5 offensively, and that isn't optimal.

As for Gravatt, the kid can definitely shoot, and he's shown it at times this season. I think all it's going to take is him knocking down 2 or 3 in a row to break out of the slump; unfortunately, that's not the kind of think you need to be doing in a Sweet 16 game, so I'd prefer he just not shoot much on Friday, lol.

Hopefully Keita can make the same FR to SO jump that Silva did; he has to improve offensively to ever be any sort of a factor for us. When he's in the game at present, we are playing 4 on 5 offensively, and that isn't optimal.

As for Gravatt, the kid can definitely shoot, and he's shown it at times this season. I think all it's going to take is him knocking down 2 or 3 in a row to break out of the slump; unfortunately, that's not the kind of think you need to be doing in a Sweet 16 game, so I'd prefer he just not shoot much on Friday, lol.

Keita will be a very good player for us...That broken wrist in the preseason really screwed him...He'll get his shooting stroke back over the summer...Hasanni Gravett needs his ass kicked...No excuse for all the bricking he is doing...You have to want it to knock those shots down...Any reluctance and it's brick city

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT