ADVERTISEMENT

Time to give Mitch some love

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
the kid had a ton of pressure on himself but did not turn over the ball. Mitch also played inspired and is not scared of contact. Given a little more time I can see him becoming a really good leader for us.

He reminded me of Connor SHAW last night. Yep. I said it.

He runs well- not as quick as Shaw- and he throws, just as coach described, a nice, catchable ball. He was actually very accurate after about the second series of the game! Right up until his third or fourth injury... And for a kid to come out with that kind of pressure, fight through multiple injuries, not turn the ball over, manage the game and get the W his first start ever- that is impressive! He deserves some pats on the back... His stat line was not impressive, but there were some good throws he made that were dropped or batted down by uncommonly good defensive plays... I thought both the deep balls he threw to Debo were ON TARGET! If he keeps chucking it downfield like that, those stats will improve.

I definitely believe he has potential. I liked the fact that he was smart enough to throw the ball away and not take a sack. I liked the fact that he didn't turn the ball over. He actually has a lot more speed and is more mobile than I expected. He needs to build his confidence.....it really seemed like he was afraid to make some throws. Maybe the guys weren't getting open enough so I'm not sure. It will also help once we figure out how to get the plays into him quicker.....hard to get in a rhythm with false starts and finding yourself in third and long. He definitely deserves our support.....I think it's just a confidence issue. This is your team Mitch! Grab that bull by the horns!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I'm not sure what people expected out of Connor Mitch! What's / your quarterback outside of a senior comes out in the first game and plays well?

Connor Mitch has some tools, and I expect him to get better.

I also expect Spurrier to do a better job calling plays and taking some of the pressure off of Mitch.

Even if we had a big time qb our O line played well enough to warrant keeping the ball on the ground.

To me Spurrier should know better to have the game plan he had with a qb with as limited game experience as Mitch.

He's going to be fine. Think back to the Furman game last year and last night. Totally different CM. the kids going to be good I really do believe.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I agree Mitch showed some promise, however I thought Orth looked more comfortable when he was in the game.

the kid had a ton of pressure on himself but did not turn over the ball. Mitch also played inspired and is not scared of contact. Given a little more time I can see him becoming a really good leader for us.

if our OL will give him a reasonable amount of time to throw, he'll continue to improve. He has the arm talent.
Run game needs to do their part and our guys need to hold onto the ball. several times last night we had favorable matchups and could have made big gains if we just held onto the ball. That's how you get into rhythum. Consecutive good plays strung together get the defense on their heals. Then you have them.

serviceable first start

as solid as SG5 & CS14's first starts

thankful my coach didn't pull me out every other play

kid has potential

go cocks!

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer

manafold, where were u last night? could have used u :)........@ the time he was ofer2 the guy behind me was already on his case! it was then I realized r fans n the stands had about as much knowledge that many do on this board. when I reminded him the shaw struggled n the same setting/his first start....I got the deer n the headlights look from him......they walk amongst us!

Reactions: Tigerof66
serviceable first start

as solid as SG5 & CS14's first starts

thankful my coach didn't pull me out every other play

kid has potential

go cocks!
I was thinking the same thing... He did way better than most any QB I can think of in their first start- except maybe DT.

NO PICKS- biggest stat on the sheet.. He had few attempts because he kept having to leave with little injuries but he fought through every one. He had multiple drops that kept his Comp% and yardage numbers down... He also threw what could have BEEN A devastating pick six that was dropped by their guy so it evens out I guess...

If anybody with football knowledge could have known Mitch would have had such an opening start away from home vs a better than average ACC team, he would have been satisfied . I know I was.

I agree 100%. I know and admit I have been hard on him before the first game and that is undeserving. He will only get better as the season progresses. Hope he lights Kentucky up. We owe them.

This potential we saw needs to be realized this week. Most of the credit to this win goes to Skai Moore and Shon Carson. I'mn hoping he just had a bad game because if this is the best he has and he is the best we have, than we simply do NOT have a good QB this year.

This potential we saw needs to be realized this week. Most of the credit to this win goes to Skai Moore and Shon Carson. I'mn hoping he just had a bad game because if this is the best he has and he is the best we have, than we simply do NOT have a good QB this year.
I think we all agree that he has potential THAT NEEDS TO BE REALIZED... The positives I saw from him were
1-some good accurate downfield passes after he got warmed up. Those will turn into long completions and TDs if he keeps hitting our guys in the hands... They won't always drop them and the CB won't always be there to make a great play...
2- he was a better runner than I think any of us believed he would be. NUFF said on that! We all know how important a run if threat at QB is to our offense
3- he showed toughness. He took some big hits, got knocked out of the game a few times and came back from it! That is the kind of leadership we need from his position and it shows how much he WANTS to play.

Negatives- he made a few bad decisions... That shoulda been a pick six that would have cost us the game! He had some bad passes early, and still a few after he got warmed up... Over throws mostly. Some were dropped or broken up when he was right on target, but some were dropped because he just threw a bad pass too... I feel like he will do better with a road game under his belt to get the jitters out... Playing at home next week should give him a chance to calm down and build on what he did this week.

It was his first start! Of course he is going to get better. No one reaches their full potential in game one. That was not an easy game to go into as his first career start. There were several positives to take away as others have stated (throwing ball away and showing he can make plays with his legs). I can't believe how many people I've seen posting that act like the Mitch that played Thursday night will be the same one we see all year.

I think it's telling that HBC kept mentioning the lack of open receivers, not the QB play. Mitch didn't get a whole bunch of help from his WR's. Yes, he did miss some guys that were open, but he certainly didn't have as many options as the coaches would have liked. I thought he did well considering the hangups with getting playcalls in and the lack of targets, not to mention it being his first real live action since HS. His performance certainly wasn't deserving of the criticism he's been getting. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in his 2nd effort next week. I think he has a lot of potential if he can get a little help. I'm way more worried about our WR's stepping up than I am Mitch not panning out.

If those guys can't get open against UNC that makes me a touch worried .... I was impressed with Mitch, very solid first start and liked the toughness and willingness to throw it away vs. take a sack like other s have mentioned

The kid knew when to tuck it and run, which was very Shaw-like. And, he is a better runner than I thought. He has to work on seeing the whole field and I think that will come with experience.

I do remember Garcia's first start, I remember watching Connor Shaw's first start in that same stadium, I believe after the first two possessions we were all watching a young man growing up in major college football. I was sitting in the stands and watched the first two possessions and I said to my son, if this is our best we are in trouble. I simply rushed to judgement. This was his first start, in his home state, against his hometown university, with family and friends witnessing the biggest football stage of his career. In the middle of the third quarter I said to my son, we are watching a young quarterback grow up before our eyes. As someone said earlier in these post, no one plays their full potential in their first start. He showed promise and hope as a quarterback and leader. I for one will support our quarterback and believe he will show improvement throughout the season and lead us to numerous victories. Connor Mitch, we are with you!

I do remember Garcia's first start, I remember watching Connor Shaw's first start in that same stadium, I believe after the first two possessions we were all watching a young man growing up in major college football. I was sitting in the stands and watched the first two possessions and I said to my son, if this is our best we are in trouble. I simply rushed to judgement. This was his first start, in his home state, against his hometown university, with family and friends witnessing the biggest football stage of his career. In the middle of the third quarter I said to my son, we are watching a young quarterback grow up before our eyes. As someone said earlier in these post, no one plays their full potential in their first start. He showed promise and hope as a quarterback and leader. I for one will support our quarterback and believe he will show improvement throughout the season and lead us to numerous victories. Connor Mitch, we are with you!
Ditto here, saw a bunch from him as the game progressed to suggest he will be a good QB. Maybe very good.

One thing I noticed was he forgot to put his mouthpiece in during the entire first series. Pretty good tell there...

On another topic Jordan Diggs is going to be in tackling school this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT