ADVERTISEMENT

Titus Touch Car Wash

That is what you would say if you went there after dark. I ride by there all the time and wondered why I had never noticed this $325k property. Evidently taters call crack houses regentrification.
Here, maybe this helps. From one of your own, on a premium board (C&Pd to another board). The City of Florence bought multiple other properties on the same block in the same price range, and all appear to be earmarked for parks and public business construction (i.e., the grocery store mentioned below). If Thomas's father sold his business, it's a separate transaction. Find a selling price, and we can decide if somebody overpaid for it (if he even actually sold a business).

VBCock
Xavier Thomas's father never owned this piece of property.

The owner of the property, Woodrow V. Johnson, sold the property to the City of Florence, which in turn conveyed the property to a holding company for the purpose of constructing a grocery store in what remains a blighted area of the downtown district.

Now, I'm sure you folks can come up with good theories about how the City of Florence is somehow giving money to Xavier Thomas through the purchase of a property that no one in his family owned. I believe the mayor actually went to Clemson, gasp!

Now at one point folks here were sure that Nikki's Haley's appointment to the UN meant she was going to have his father's sentence commuted in exchange for his choosing Clemson.

Given the board has already misstated the difficulty of getting a subprime car loan, the mechanics of insurance policies, and has debated a US Attorney on the definition of money laundering, I greatly look forward to your next efforts.

I'm actually in Florence, too, and caught an exclusive pic of you doing work on this case.

26174923_1787646431305695_2002218061_n.png

All in good fun, amigo. :)

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Here, maybe this helps. From one of your own, on a premium board (C&Pd to another board). The City of Florence bought multiple other properties on the same block in the same price range, and all appear to be earmarked for parks and public business construction (i.e., the grocery store mentioned below). If Thomas's father sold his business, it's a separate transaction. Find a selling price, and we can decide if somebody overpaid for it (if he even actually sold a business).

VBCock

The owner of the property, Woodrow V. Johnson, sold the property to the City of Florence, which in turn conveyed the property to a holding company for the purpose of constructing a grocery store in what remains a blighted area of the downtown district.

Now, I'm sure you folks can come up with good theories about how the City of Florence is somehow giving money to Xavier Thomas through the purchase of a property that no one in his family owned. I believe the mayor actually went to Clemson, gasp!

Now at one point folks here were sure that Nikki's Haley's appointment to the UN meant she was going to have his father's sentence commuted in exchange for his choosing Clemson.

Given the board has already misstated the difficulty of getting a subprime car loan, the mechanics of insurance policies, and has debated a US Attorney on the definition of money laundering, I greatly look forward to your next efforts.
Anyone can get a car loan...ANYONE...just a matter of the interest you will pay.

What the heck is this about money laundering? That's a first!

Reactions: Ken M.
Geez give it a rest. A quick search of Scott Howard in Simpsonville reveals a facebook page of a Gamecock fan. Works at J & J and has one kid that goes to Clemson. The other two presumably attend USC. It appears he has been the registered agent since 2003.
Do you people know how to search the world wide web?

Reactions: Willie B Long
Anyone can get a car loan...ANYONE...just a matter of the interest you will pay.

What the heck is this about money laundering? That's a first!
I dunno, I wish I could see the rest of that thread. Conspiracy theorists are WAY entertaining, regardless of fanbase. We all have 'em.

Reactions: rogue cock
Geez give it a rest. A quick search of Scott Howard in Simpsonville reveals a facebook page of a Gamecock fan. Works at J & J and has one kid that goes to Clemson. The other two presumably attend USC. It appears he has been the registered agent since 2003.
You are correct. Scott W. Howard has been registered agent of Titus Touch, LLC since it's organization in 2003. It is a business management consulting firm located in Simpsonville.

Chances are it isn't the same entity that owns Titus Touch Car Wash/Detailing or whatever it is, which is most likely an unorganized sole proprietorship that uses a similar name.

I clicked on that Facebook page and the guy from Johnson & Johnson is wearing a Clemson shirt in one of the pics at Virginia.

Reactions: NooNoo
Your guess is as good as mine. His favorite athlete is listed as Marcus Lattimore? Forgive me i do not have FB so I cannot look past the first page. Probably some un-related guy that is now the talk of FGF. Please continue to speculate. It brought me out of message board retirement.

Reactions: Heyward1
Yeup....this thread makes me believe higher education isn't working as well as I thought
Not so sure about that. While the original premise may have been wrong (though it was a somewhat legitimate premise that the person who owned the business on a parcel of land also owned the land), if I lived in Florence, I would surely be questioning city/county leaders as to why they agreed to pay an obviously premium price for parcel(s) of land that the county had valued for much less....and which were supposedly valued within 5% of actual market value.

That is what you would say if you went there after dark. I ride by there all the time and wondered why I had never noticed this $325k property. Evidently taters call crack houses regentrification.

I believe you missed the entire spirit of my post, but your reply makes all of this much more easy to understand.

Don’t know and don’t care. Maybe he thought gifting an asset that could be a revenue generating asset was helpful for the not-for-profit. That is a fairly common type of asset (revenue producing) to gift.

The only asset he bought was Xavier Thomas to play football for Dabo.

Can't wait to see what this out of control win no matter what the cost sewer offers Dax Hollifield's family. He is now on the clock....

The only asset he bought was Xavier Thomas to play football for Dabo.

Can't wait to see what this out of control win no matter what the cost sewer offers Dax Hollifield's family. He is now on the clock....
What if they offer him something absurd, like “hey, how would you like to play for a national championship?”

Oh, and a Gucci bag of $2 bills, just to be consistent.

It's called gentrification. What will happen is investors will buy a lot of the land and businesses in the area to raise the property value on paper, then "donate" the property and land to a nonprofit run by the local government to keep the taxes at a minimum, then they will start building new, shiny buildings and raise the actual value while still having a relatively low tax rate. It's what's happening in Atlanta, DC, Detroit, and several other cities. This brings in the middle class and drives out the poor, thus making a killing on what is now considered prime real estate. But I'm sure this is happening all over the country to get Clemson recruits.

For the record, here's a letter to the editor days later about the gentrification of Florence:
http://www.scnow.com/opinion/letters/article_0544660a-18b8-11e7-9b1f-a33a6cebf95f.html

please do not insert facts into this discussion. It is certainly keeping a bunch of people both busy and entertained.

Recruit Dad had land that sold for 10x market value one week before commitment. Researched it and found it was nothing. What is embarrassing about that?

All we did was put the “Dad got paid through selling property” thing to rest with actual facts. Not sure how that is a bad thing.

His dad didn’t own the property .. darn now I have been sucked into it .

VBCock

Because putting a grocery store in a crappy part of town is such a great idea. See Columbia, Harden Street. Closed within a year due to shoplifting.

Because putting a grocery store in a crappy part of town is such a great idea. See Columbia, Harden Street. Closed within a year due to shoplifting.
I have no commentary to offer on whether this particular project in Florence is a worthwhile venture for the city or not, or any possibly applicable anecdotal evidence. My post was more regarding the nature of the sale and the involved parties.

Non-profits seldom run "for-profit" businesses. It makes no sense for them to to so. They are taxed on the income of the "for-profit" aspect of the business, just like a regular business or if it is a seasonal type business they have UBIT (unrelated business income tax). If they receive property it is to sell, or to use as part of their non-profit purpose.

You are correct, but more and more NFP’s are struggling for funding so they are now taking income producing properties and paying the UBIT. It’s not common and most would prefer to sell the property, but its happening more often.

Reactions: rogue cock
You are correct, but more and more NFP’s are struggling for funding so they are now taking income producing properties and paying the UBIT. It’s not common and most would prefer to sell the property, but its happening more often.
I can see that...and I would assume most of those "for profit" activities are of the non-active type, such as rental real estate.

Geez ... you guys are getting sooo excited with your little sleuthing and its been really entertaining... as usual. But you might want to consider there are several ways to appraise the FMV of a property / business. The net income method would yield a value around $ 325,000 if the business generated net revenue just under $ 30,000 annually. But please continue your delusions.

Whatever, whoever and why this property was purchased for $325,000, I don't know, but you are incorrect of what the dollar value on a real estate deed represents.....it is the value of the REAL ESTATE. Even if there was some car wash business generating $30,000 annual net income (unlikely, see below), the money paid for the business is not represented on a real estate deed. The business purchase is a separate transaction and not part of the real estate closing. If there is a dollar amount of $325,000 on the deed then that is what was paid for the real estate.

To your comment about the hand car wash business generating $30,000 net income annually.....ok, let's consider that. You're are saying that there is a hand car wash business (we've all seen those on the side of the road) and it generates $30,000 net profit annually. So, that's $30,000 left over cash after all salaries and expenses are paid. That means the buyer of this cash only business expects to pay $325,000 (your number) and receive $30,000 annually while this cash business is actively managed by an employee of the owner. I'm sure the seller of the hand car wash business had 2-3 years of tax returns showing all the profit produced by this CASH ONLY business to present to the buyer.....right?

Sorry if this sounded jerky but you are made an incorrect defense of the OP's incorrect assumption this deal was to lure a player to Clem.

Anyway, it's unfortunate for Gamecocks this real estate wasn't owned by XT's dad, would have made for a nice rabbit hole to follow. But it's unlikely anyone smart enough to have $325,000 to blow on a 5* recruit is dumb enough to leave a paper trail easily exposed by researching public records.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed this debate. All I know is this. Up until XT committed to Clemson, he was always thought of as a heavy Gamecock lean. Then, and I mean then and there, he announces that he is going to Clemson. His family is all of a sudden happy, very happy, and announces "we are all in!" They are all wearing "all in" shirts and clothes. Now I was born on a Saturday, but not last Saturday (or today) and given Clemson's track record of gifting, I believe that Ray Charles can see that something spontaneously happened for XT to commit. I do believe that Clemson and/or its boosters, leveraged money in this, especially given that XT was here to before a Carolina lean. Someone, someday will figure it out. Dabo is a cheater disquised as a church Elder.

BTW, the BEST illegal recruiting I've ever seen exposed on a message board was years ago on the TexAgs board.

A poster on the TexAgs board asked if it was reasonable that a QB at Oklahoma should be receiving a paycheck from an auto dealership even though the QB had never shown up to work at the dealership. The poster said his girlfriend worked at the dealership and told him about the player.

The poster on the TexAgs board was roundly criticized by other TexAgs posters for making "wild" accusations on a message board and the OP ended up apologizing in the thread and saying "sorry, I was just asking, I really didn't know, etc.". But turns out a "pay for play" was actually going on and the player got booted from OU. I think the original message thread is still available in the TexAgs archive on their board. Here is the player btw........
http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=2537332

Reactions: GC2020
Hello everyone, I am Scott Howard from Simpsonville and I am here to set the record straight.

Get real people. If you think I paid to much for this property and business you would really flip out if you knew how much I paid for crappier businesses in Florida in 2011. Grow TH up.

Reactions: NetworkX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT