ADVERTISEMENT

To all soccer geeks

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
BEST TICKET IN TOWN
25$ for season tickets to USC Men's and Women's teams. 22 matches for 25 dollars, free park. Both teams play Tillman Tech here.

Women are Sabanesque 19-0-1 over the past two seasons in SEC and went to final four last season. Even though they lost Savannah McCaskill, who was second pick in draft and has started for the national team, and four other starters they are favorites to repeat as SEC champs. They will be a top ten team.

Men did not make NCAA's last year but had been the three previous seasons. Will probably make it this year.
It is a fun atmosphere and probably the most family friendly venue of all our sports

Reactions: Out of Conference
I wish I had attended some soccer games during my time at USC. Never went.

I'd pay $25 just to attend Berson's "retirement" ceremony. Count me out in the meantime.

Woman’s pro Soccer is a thing now?
Yep, and the North Carolina Courage are in 1st place. Just 9 teams in the league, but it provides some good competition for our USWNT (and the Canadian team) when they aren't playing international games.

FWIW, the Portland Thorns averaged over 17,000 fans per game last year.

I agree with you somewhat about Berson, he is still an excellent coach, his teams are always in better shape than the opponents and he is an excellent tactitician. However he has been unable to attract top shelf talent within the region. Some of this is style of play, conference affiliation, and the perception he will retire soon. I would like to see him honored and hand the reins over to someone who would bring a new energy(dream hire would be the wake forest coach)
Why I asked is there are number of folks who knee jerk want to fire Berson who have no investment in the program know nothing about soccer or his accomplishments here. Obviously you are not in that crowd

I agree with you somewhat about Berson, he is still an excellent coach, his teams are always in better shape than the opponents and he is an excellent tactitician. However he has been unable to attract top shelf talent within the region. Some of this is style of play, conference affiliation, and the perception he will retire soon. I would like to see him honored and hand the reins over to someone who would bring a new energy(dream hire would be the wake forest coach)
Why I asked is there are number of folks who knee jerk want to fire Berson who have no investment in the program know nothing about soccer or his accomplishments here. Obviously you are not in that crowd
?

I didn't state an opinion on Berson. I wanted to know why the hell someone would follow Clemson soccer

?

I didn't state an opinion on Berson. I wanted to know why the hell someone would follow Clemson soccer
I interpreted that to mean the USC-Clemson games were the last and only two they watched or attended, but they keep track of the Gamecock soccer scores all year.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I interpreted that to mean the USC-Clemson games were the last and only two they watched or attended, but they keep track of the Gamecock soccer scores all year.
Dawg fan corrects Carolina guy confused about Clemson post; this topic is making my head spin

Oh I grew up going to every Carolina soccer game, back in the days of Faklaris, Stone, etc. The early 90's were incredible for the program, before more well known players like Mathis and Wolfe even got here. Unfortunately the program is mired in a wasteland of mediocrity. Whatever brand Berson built for the program is all but vanquished, and it's time Ray gave him his "victory lap" season and sent him to pasture. Look at how quickly Clemson's new coach rebuilt their program - I'm hopeful we can do the same with ours although I understand we face an uphill challenge in the AAC or whatever our conference is called now.

Now Smith has done a fantastic job building the women's program and deserves probably more praise (and attention) than she gets.

Soccer is my favorite of the olympic sports, so apologies if my previous post came across as excessively snide. I'll give Berson all the credit in the world for his contributions to the University, and I'm not suggesting we just put him out on the street, but his time has come and gone, and I'm not sure I'm in the minority on this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT