ADVERTISEMENT

Today is the day we see if this team has any flight left in them...

Agree with this.
How long is the Gamecock Nation going to put up with this? If Ray don't get it, maybe the
President or the Board will!! Some thing has to give. Hate to se the players caught in the
Middle of this, but I have zero faith in Tanner, when it comes to the hard decision.

You're both wrong. Chad said the win vs. Vandy was.
Then came UNC. Just a "bad game...not our night."
Now a collapse vs. a "decent" program in MSU.
Why on earth would he proclaim the 1 Vandy game the most important?
"THE NEXT GAME" should always be a coach's answer. I'm afraid he doesn't get it.

Reactions: SliderUSC
please...they choked away the series...all the pressure is off...it's easy to play well when all you have is a face saving effort...when the series was on the line they punked out like they have all season...the least bit of pressure folds them up like a wet corrugated box

Miss St basically threw some starters together for Saturday and Sunday, but we still couldn't muster much offense.

How long is the Gamecock Nation going to put up with this? If Ray don't get it, maybe the
President or the Board will!! Some thing has to give. Hate to se the players caught in the
Middle of this, but I have zero faith in Tanner, when it comes to the hard decision.

He gets it. I didn't know just how much until this weekend. But he is fully aware of the situation.

He gets it. I didn't know just how much until this weekend. But he is fully aware of the situation.

I think we'll see Ray go to Chad and tell him that he will need to Clean house with his staff, once the season is over...

Two questions would come up... Will Chad do it or would he resign if he was told to clean house...

I think we'll see Ray go to Chad and tell him that he will need to Clean house with his staff, once the season is over...

Two questions would come up... Will Chad do it or would he resign if he was told to clean house...
Chad Holbrook is the biggest problem...Also what quality assistants will be attracted to a lame duck situation....Ray might try staff changes..But anything short of replacing Holbrook is unlikely to resolve the issues

Yeah I'm not so sure cleaning house and keeping Chad will work unless he hires someone with a completely different hitting philosophy than his own. One that puts an emphasis on compact swings, speed and an ability to play smallball when necessary. He would need to surrender recruiting duties and give his hitting coach total responsibility for offense imo. The question is how much of a control freak is he and will he be able to let go. I have my doubts he can or will do that.

I disagree with those that think Jerry Meyers needs to go. Pitching is NOT our problem. In the fourteen years that he has been in Columbia, we have been near the top of the SEC (lowest ERA this year) in pitching. Granted...He has lots of high draft picks this year, but he has been very consistent over the years. Offense is bad, and not fundamentally sound on defense. The others need to GO!

Reactions: rogue cock
I disagree with those that think Jerry Meyers needs to go. Pitching is NOT our problem. In the fourteen years that he has been in Columbia, we have been near the top of the SEC (lowest ERA this year) in pitching. Granted...He has lots of high draft picks this year, but he has been very consistent over the years. Offense is bad, and not fundamentally sound on defense. The others need to GO!

But it was Mark Calvi that helped us in our run to the National Championship...

Jerry left after the 2004 season... and came back in 2011 for the second National Championship...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Calvi

The management (mismanagement) of the staff IS a problem.

Speaking of pitching staff...

Who are our top pitchers for next year???

Adam Hill and who else??? I haven't seen young pitchers who can step in and fill the shoes...

Adam has gotten better, but we'll need more young pitchers to step it up...

USCBatgirl21Well-Known Member
New

Mismanagement? That's your opinion! Our inability to SCORE has been the REAL problem. "Opinions" can be wrong, but statistics don't lie.

New

Mismanagement? That's your opinion! Our inability to SCORE has been the REAL problem. "Opinions" can be wrong, but statistics don't lie.

An opinion shared by many that actually watch the games and don't just look at statistics. But here's a few for you...we're #1 in the league in Hits Allowed, #2 in Runs Allowed and in Earned Runs Allowed, and #1 in Doubles Allowed. In the 9th alone we have been outscored 20-7.

Last edited:
New

New

An opinion shared by many that actually watch the games and don't just look at statistics. But here's a few for you...we're #1 in the league in Hits Allowed, #2 in Runs Allowed and in Earned Runs Allowed, and #1 in Doubles Allowed. In the 9th alone we have been outscored 20-7.

Most of your statistics are meaningless. Again...Our pitching staff has the LOWEST ERA in the conference. If we are being outscored, it's because...WE CAN'T SCORE! If you mean "mismanagement" is...using the same pitchers all the time?...Guess what, do you ever watch other teams play? All of the top teams use the same pitchers...especially late in the game. BTW...You're not an authority on all things "Carolina baseball", just because you're...Batgirl.

Those statistics do not show that we're being outscored. They show that we are allowing the most runs, hits, and earned runs REGARDLESS of what the offense may or may not be doing.

Yes, I actually watch many other teams play. And they use more situational pitching than we do. You know...the type of pitching that helped us win 2 trophies. Once JM resorted back to his philosophy of constantly using the same 5-6 arms over and over and over again, we haven't won a darn thing.

We have serious problems in EVERY facet of the game. EVERYONE on staff is responsible for the problems we have. No one is untouchable, even JM.

You obviously have a personal thing against Meyers. I don't really give a damn. Stevie Wonder could see what our problems have been. ZERO offense and poor fundamentals...especially late in the game. It's not pitching. Other than the HOLES smoking us, we've pretty much been in all of the games.

You obviously have a personal thing against Meyers. I don't really give a damn. Stevie Wonder could see what our problems have been. ZERO offense and poor fundamentals...especially late in the game. It's not pitching. Other than the HOLES smoking us, we've pretty much been in all of the games.

Really? Resorting to the "it's obviously personal" crap?

But there is no denying that there are problems with the way he handles his staff, and it has cost us over the years, even during his first stint here when we had ample amounts of offense on our teams. Our problems are NOT solely limited to offense.

This thread has nothing to do with Clemson, but there was a discussion about the Gamecocks folding under pressure and not playing well when the series is on the line. When the Clemson AD made the decision to replace Jack Leggett with Monte Lee, it was a hard decision, but the right one. Lee came in and took all the pressure off the team. They had a history of playing tight and blowing big games they should have won. Lee let them grow their hair long if they wanted to and wear beards...something Leggett had forbidden. The team now plays loose and has fun. They know in baseball, you are going to lose some games and that's OK if you played well. Monte Lee had a great quote last week "We eat pressure like it's candy". It's a culture change and if it can be done with your team, it will make a huge difference; y'all have a talented team. I hope we don't get paired up in a Regional or Super, so we will both have a chance to get to Omaha.

New

But there is no denying that there are problems with the way he handles his staff, and it has cost us over the years, even during his first stint here when we had ample amounts of offense on our teams. Our problems are NOT solely limited to offense.

Yes...It has to be personal. It's not based on facts. The man has been nothing but a success here. He's one of the top pitching coaches in the country. I guarantee...If the entire staff were fired, he would be the first one to get a job. BTW...I didn't say it was just offense...Poor fundamentals (mental and physical errors), late in the game, have cost us several games.

No use in reasoning with Jerry Meyers, I mean USCBIRDS

I bet if we made it to the CWS, Jerry Meyers wouldn't have used Michael Roth against Clemson...

Hahaha...You're dizzier than she is. I'm dealing in "facts" over the man's career in Columbia...You throw out a hypothetical? Gee...I don't know...Can't answer that!

Reactions: USC-1
Teams have been teeing off on our pitching, especially middle relief, every year he's been here. He doesn't demand his pitchers throw strikes, instead coaches them to nibble and try to get the hitters to chase. Unfortunately, the hitters are not that stupid, and they are chasing the pitches straight to holes and/or out onto Williams Street. He keeps pitchers on our staff that have no business on an SEC staff and only uses a select few arms each and every season. Many of us are not impressed with what we're seeing on the mound year in and year out from what is supposed to be our strength. Outside of our 3 starters, the staff is not bringing much excitement to the field. Instead they bring more nervousness because we never know what we're going to get.

Again, the only trophy won with him as pitching coach, he didn't even utilize his pitching philosophy, but utilized the philosophy of the previous pitching coach.

Also, it's been very evident in mid week games this year that other than our weekend starters, the rest of the staff leaves a bit to be desired in the way they are getting rocked by what are supposed to be inferior teams. If our entire staff is supposed to be so good, then why are we nervous as long tailed cats in a room full of rockers when we take the mound in these games?

Last edited:
Teams have been teeing off on our pitching, especially middle relief, every year he's been here. He doesn't demand his pitchers throw strikes, instead coaches them to nibble and try to get the hitters to chase. Unfortunately, the hitters are not that stupid, and they are chasing the pitches straight to holes and/or out onto Williams Street. He keeps pitchers on our staff that have no business on an SEC staff and only uses a select few arms each and every season. Many of us are not impressed with what we're seeing on the mound year in and year out from what is supposed to be our strength. Outside of our 3 starters, the staff is not bringing much excitement to the field. Instead they bring more nervousness because we never know what we're going to get.

Again, the only trophy won with him as pitching coach, he didn't even utilize his pitching philosophy, but utilized the philosophy of the previous pitching coach.

Also, it's been very evident in mid week games this year that other than our weekend starters, the rest of the staff leaves a bit to be desired in the way they are getting rocked by what are supposed to be inferior teams. If our entire staff is supposed to be so good, then why are we nervous as long tailed cats in a room full of rockers when we take the mound in these games?

This^^^^^^^

NewTeams have been teeing off on our pitching, especially middle relief, every year he's been here. He doesn't demand his pitchers throw strikes, instead coaches them to nibble and try to get the hitters to chase. Unfortunately, the hitters are not that stupid, and they are chasing the pitches straight to holes and/or out onto Williams Street. He keeps pitchers on our staff that have no business on an SEC staff and only uses a select few arms each and every season. Many of us are not impressed with what we're seeing on the mound year in and year out from what is supposed to be our strength. Outside of our 3 starters, the staff is not bringing much excitement to the field. Instead they bring morenervousness because we never know what we're going to get.

This is a load of BS! They have not been "teeing off on us" the whole time he's been here. The SEC has been the premier baseball league for decades. Carolina has consistently been the upper echelon of pitching staffs in the SEC over that time. You're making s#*t up now...just like when you said that Greenville had the best bid for the neutral game with Clemson. That turned out to be FALSE!

This is a load of BS! They have not been "teeing off on us" the whole time he's been here. The SEC has been the premier baseball league for decades. Carolina has consistently been the upper echelon of pitching staffs in the SEC over that time. You're making s#*t up now...just like when you said that Greenville had the best bid for the neutral game with Clemson. That turned out to be FALSE!

At this point there is no need to continue this conversation because it's evident you refuse to acknowledge that JM is one of the problems on our staff, have been looking through nothing but garnet colored glasses where pitching is concerned because you obviously refuse to even consider that JM could do anything wrong, and are not bothering to pay attention to what you're seeing in games themselves. You're ignoring when facts that don't suit your argument are presented, and again, not bothering to pay attention to what is actually going on in games. We are losing ballgames not just because offense if a problem or there is questionable defense. The pitching IS a problem as well, especially middle relief and mid week starters.

As for the bid, they did have the best bid for the game. It had a lot more to do with things other than money, as I said MANY times during that conversation.

Last edited:

Please don't mention the habit of leaving his starters in an inning too long after they are obviously struggling...Also the stubborn nonsense of trying to turn a quality middle reliever into a closer that cost us at least 5 wins...these are factors that don't show on the stat sheet but blow up the loss column

Please don't mention the habit of leaving his starters in an inning too long after they are obviously struggling...Also the stubborn nonsense of trying to turn a quality middle reliever into a closer that cost us at least 5 wins...these are factors that don't show on the stat sheet but blow up the loss column
Oh they show up...in those "runs/hits/earned runs allowed" stats.

Wil threw 112 pitches on Saturday. WTH??? Is he trying to send him straight to another TJ surgery?

ADVERTISEMENT