ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Romo missed the US Open by two strokes

tenor.gif

That was only his local qualifier. He still would've had to win his final qualifier event to make the U.S. Open.

Reactions: Judson1
The line between very good player and competitive tournament player appears thin at first glance, but in reality, it is very significant.

Reactions: Jbouton2
I like Romo. But he was a long, long way from qualifying. He was one of almost 9000 golfers at 110 different locations trying to qualify for one of 500 spots. Then that 500 goes down to 49 with subsequent qualifiers. He shot 75.

Reactions: BigTomE
The line between very good player and competitive tournament player appears thin at first glance, but in reality, it is very significant.
I used to get to play at Oakmont once a year with clients in my former career. We always played in November and a lot of the caddies were tour caddies off and on.

We had a rain delay and I shared my whiskey flask with my caddy under an umbrella under a tree. He asked me to tell him about the best golfer I played with at my club.

I said it was a young dude named Evan who carried a plus 3 handicap. He’d won some junior championships, a few club championships and qualified for a few minor league events.

My caddy goes, that guy sucks. We talked a bit more and he said this. 140 guys a year get a tour card out of millions of players. Of those 140 only 10 are consistently good. He had a point.

Reactions: king ward
I used to get to play at Oakmont once a year with clients in my former career. We always played in November and a lot of the caddies were tour caddies off and on.

We had a rain delay and I shared my whiskey flask with my caddy under an umbrella under a tree. He asked me to tell him about the best golfer I played with at my club.

I said it was a young dude named Evan who carried a plus 3 handicap. He’d won some junior championships, a few club championships and qualified for a few minor league events.

My caddy goes, that guy sucks. We talked a bit more and he said this. 140 guys a year get a tour card out of millions of players. Of those 140 only 10 are consistently good. He had a point.
But all 140 are better than 99.9% of the hotshots who think they are good. They are self-delusional.

ADVERTISEMENT