ADVERTISEMENT

Totally cold shoulder from a fellow-Gamecock fan

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
Live up here in the DC area. I was at the grocery store yesterday, wearing my Columbia Ascender Gamecock jacket. Walking straight towards me on the same aisle was a middle-aged man wearing a Gamecocks t-shirt. We both very obviously spotted the other's Gamecock apparel and made knowing eye contact. As we got closer I smiled and started to say something, but he averted his glance and walked right past me. It was pretty obvious I was about say something and more obvious that he stone cold shut me down. Even more awkward is that we crossed paths again on another aisle. I thought maybe he was just wearing a random t-shirt and wasn't really a fan, but I walked past what I assume was his car in the parking lot b/c it had several Gamecock items on the back (stickers, decals, license plate frame).

Anyway, it was weird. Rarely cross paths with fellow Gamecocks up here.

Less hellos these days is another known side effect of the pandemic
Exactly. My Mom lives by herself and has dealing with the loss of my Dad now for a couple of years. She comments all the time how she use to be able to go to the store and people would say hello and have casual conversations. She says now she feels invisible. No one says hello, heck people won’t even make eye contact for fear you might start talking to them.

Exactly. My Mom lives by herself and has dealing with the loss of my Dad now for a couple of years. She comments all the time how she use to be able to go to the store and people would say hello and have casual conversations. She says now she feels invisible. No one says hello, heck people won’t even make eye contact for fear you might start talking to them.

Yeah, maybe that's it. Funny thing, though, a couple months back I was in the same store wearing the same jacket and a man whose daughter goes to Clemson stopped me and we chatted for about 5 minutes.

You should have just yelled “Go Cocks!” when you saw him the first time. That’s always fun to see reactions of people outside of the state with that.

We were at Disneyland a couple years ago and I always wear my Gamecock stuff when we are out of state just to represent. As we were in line for the Haunted Mansion a guy three rows over yelled “Go Cocks!” and the people around us wigged out. My wife started laughing and started trying to explain it to other people around us in line. Caught up with the guy in the building and he was a Florida fan excited to see someone “local”. His wife was extremely embarrassed but we thought it was great.

Live up here in the DC area. I was at the grocery store yesterday, wearing my Columbia Ascender Gamecock jacket. Walking straight towards me on the same aisle was a middle-aged man wearing a Gamecocks t-shirt. We both very obviously spotted the other's Gamecock apparel and made knowing eye contact. As we got closer I smiled and started to say something, but he averted his glance and walked right past me. It was pretty obvious I was about say something and more obvious that he stone cold shut me down. Even more awkward is that we crossed paths again on another aisle. I thought maybe he was just wearing a random t-shirt and wasn't really a fan, but I walked past what I assume was his car in the parking lot b/c it had several Gamecock items on the back (stickers, decals, license plate frame).

He has been up north to long!! The yankee indoctrination has taken over.

Some folks in DC area are weird anyway, have you noticed that. They can smell you as you pass in the Walmart. At least that is what one FBI Agent said.

... and he was suffering from embarrassment by association.
gumpwave.gif

You should have just yelled “Go Cocks!” when you saw him the first time. That’s always fun to see reactions of people outside of the state with that.

We were at Disneyland a couple years ago and I always wear my Gamecock stuff when we are out of state just to represent. As we were in line for the Haunted Mansion a guy three rows over yelled “Go Cocks!” and the people around us wigged out. My wife started laughing and started trying to explain it to other people around us in line. Caught up with the guy in the building and he was a Florida fan excited to see someone “local”. His wife was extremely embarrassed but we thought it was great.

We need to desensitize people and help them learn about the Gamecocks

Many years ago I was in Palm Beach Gardens Florida. We went out to eat at a very popular seafood restaurant. While standing in line this 20 something year old guy was near us with a C O C K S hat on. Naturally I attempted to start a conversation with him. I said something like, “GO COCKS”. He looked at me very perplexed. I said, “like your hat man”! He took it off and said, “I’m not a South Carolina fan, I just like that the hat says C O C K S across the front”!

You can’t make up stories like this...

I have a Gamecock book bag that travels with me. Everywhere I have been I have always gotten a “go Cocks” and the good old Gamecock wave. Even happened in Alaska where one of the store workers was a recent Dorman grad.

Before Covid when I traveled for Business, and was in some far away place and saw a person wearing Gamecock apparel of some sort, a cordial conversation always followed, (I have a Gamecock Tag on my luggage to point to)

Maybe in your case it was a relative of Will Muschamp still wearing some free stuff? So they didn't want to converse.

tenor.gif

I used to chat up fellow Gamecock-clothing wearing folks during my travels but most were from much later years than mine so we had nothing in common. It has been years since I have worn any Gamecock clothing. It doesn’t do anything for me anymore.

I'm sorry to hear about that. My mom is in same situation --- lost Dad in December 2019 after 59 years of marriage -- and she has heart issues and that limits her travels, but she's really outgoing and friendly, and super nosy.

She calls herself the neighborhood watch and all her neighbors know her .... I feel fortunate she's handled it as well as she has, but man I worry about her every day.

Hopefully this will be over soon and your mom can find some peace and company.

Many years ago I was in Palm Beach Gardens Florida. We went out to eat at a very popular seafood restaurant. While standing in line this 20 something year old guy was near us with a C O C K S hat on. Naturally I attempted to start a conversation with him. I said something like, “GO COCKS”. He looked at me very perplexed. I said, “like your hat man”! He took it off and said, “I’m not a South Carolina fan, I just like that the hat says C O C K S across the front”!

I had a very similar experience in Dallas in 2000. At a small bar with live music, one of the band members had a COCKS hat on. As we were leaving, I said, "Go Cocks" and told him I went to SC. He replied, "I didn't go to school there, I just like the hat!". Nice guy, I was a little bummed at the time.

I was in the redwood forest north of San Francisco in the late 90's. It was misting rain and up the path walks a couple wearing those cheap ass white jewelry warehouse gamecock ponchos.
It was really startling in a way to see that all the way across the country. We spoke for a bit. Cant remember where they were from.
It is sad to see how folks have become so isolated and dehumanized by this "pandemic" and how our government is taking advantage of this opportunity to further divide and conquer.

IOW's that hat, for him, pretty much opened his closet so to speak. Oh well, to each his/her own.

That's sad.

Reactions: The Gadfly
About five years ago I was in Barcelona in the summer and sitting outdoors at a brew pub with a light weight Gamecock backpack. A family on vacation stopped and we talked for several minutes. They lived behind the VA hospital and were alumni and season ticket holders. Went to a tapas bar and had some pulpo!

A lot of people are introverts and don't talk to strangers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT