ADVERTISEMENT

Tough year on many levels, but the good news is....

USCLaw85

Dec 18, 2016
that it is summer, and the dead period is upon us. Time to regather our plans and optimism. Time to get a real President for our university, and seriously consider a new AD, imho. Seems like Ray would be ready to step down and retire for that matter. Why would he need all this trouble at his age ? Does anyone know or hear if he has that inclination anytime soon ?

It does not seem to me that Ray is in any hurry to step down. One would think that he could pull the old " time to spend more time with my family" line.

Reactions: Tmac069
that it is summer, and the dead period is upon us. Time to regather our plans and optimism. Time to get a real President for our university, and seriously consider a new AD, imho. Seems like Ray would be ready to step down and retire for that matter. Why would he need all this trouble at his age ? Does anyone know or hear if he has that inclination anytime soon ?

I agree with everything you said but RT probably does not want to give up a million dollar a year job.

USCALUMNI

Reactions: purenonsense
If we could rid ourselves of FFF and Ray Tanner I would never ask Santa or Jesus for anything else.

June is hardly a dead period. It is actually, with early signing dates, the most active visit period of the year. July has a dead period.

Reactions: F-86F
I think he had something else in mind.
I thought the poster meant that the college sports are over for the summer until football season kicks off , although some folks consider the start of summer practice as the end of the dead season.

I thought the poster meant that the college sports are over for the summer until football season kicks off , although some folks consider the start of summer practice as the end of the dead season.
Agreed. I took him to mean a period of no athletic contests. For us, that would be true.

Reactions: redrogers
It does not seem to me that Ray is in any hurry to step down. One would think that he could pull the old " time to spend more time with my family" line.
Ray will most likely retire in 2024 when his contract runs out. That will qualify him for the SC retirement system. And his time in NC does not count toward it as there is no reciprocity between SC and NC.

Plus he has planned upgrades to Founder's Park that he wants to see completed before he steps away.

Ray needs a little more time. The WBB is elite. He has got to find a way to screw that up. May take him some time to get that done.

Ray will most likely retire in 2024 when his contract runs out. That will qualify him for the SC retirement system. And his time in NC does not count toward it as there is no reciprocity between SC and NC.

Plus he has planned upgrades to Founder's Park that he wants to see completed before he steps away.

How apropos.

Just long enough to see every major hire fail.

A fitting exit for the most quintessential of UofSC hires.

A hire that was and remains symptomatic of the disease that plagues this University.

Having said that, he should be allowed to gain SC retirement, albeit in a ceremonial role. He has after all been a faithful puppet and he has no doubt done the best he could as a coach playing AD.

While one can hope that the current cast of stooges and Magoo-level visionaries actually stumble backassward into a great Presidential hire and a real AD (preferably with the best traits of Hyman and Tanner), I suspect Forever to Thee will continue to be an homage to mediocrity and general dumberf’ry.

#UofSC

Why would he retire? He is able to oversee complete mens athletic mediocrity while earning millions each year and having a small but vocal group of Tanner fan boys incoherently defend him in every facet of mediocre Gamecock athletics.

Seems like he has a great gig.

How apropos.

A hire that was and remains symptomatic of the disease that plagues this University.

Having said that, he should be allowed to gain SC retirement, albeit in a ceremonial role. He has after all been a faithful puppet and he has no doubt done the best he could as a coach playing AD.

While one can hope that the current cast of stooges and Magoo-level visionaries actually stumble backassward into a great Presidential hire and a real AD (preferably with the best traits of Hyman and Tanner), I suspect Forever to Thee will continue to be an homage to mediocrity and general dumberf’ry.

#UofSC
You can thank him for us still having Staley. And Kingston is far from a failure thus far. Now, if he hired ML......

And unceremoniously dumping him, would be to the athletic department as bad as the unversity hiring Caslen.

It could be finessed, although that has not been our forte. I think the Board likes the malleable Ray, regardless.
The Board likes what Tanner can get done (especially without their assistance) and how quickly he can do it. Few schools have matched the frenzy which we have been building and improving athletic facilities which leaves the Board to deal with improvements on the academic side. Tanner is anything but malleable....he typically get whatever he asks for from the Board, not the other way around.

And he has completed all those construction and improvement projects and be able to finance them without us running large annual deficits (unlike FSU and UT) or having to cut any team sports program even in the face of lowered income from this past year (unlike the majority of D1 programs, including our neighbor to the north).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitchenlabs
How apropos.

#UofSC
Wow! A very telling post!

I have no issue with Coach Tanner as AD
It’s almost comical how fans think a new AD is the answer to our prayers.

Frank McGuire. Steve Spurrier. And since he did it, I’ll throw Ray Tanner in there. Those are not “hot coach of the moment” guys, but HALL OF FAME guys. Maybe Tanner would qualify as the hot coach du jour at the time. THAT’S what it takes to rise above 100+ years of suckage and mediocrity here. Not a new AD or some guy that’s had a semi-successful run at Podunk U. That’s South Carolina sports, I’m sorry; call me “loser”, whatever you want, but it is what it is. Always has been.

You can thank him for us still having Staley. And Kingston is far from a failure thus far. Now, if he hired ML......

And unceremoniously dumping him, would be to the athletic department as bad as the unversity hiring Caslen.

No I don’t.

I have zero reason to believe Dawn Staley is still here because of Ray Tanner.

If she was contemplating a move and he gave her what she wanted to stay, then congrats. No one said he was completely incompetent. But, let’s not pretend not screwing up is some level of achievement.

As for Kingston, he has not been a failure. I have more respect for him as HC than the former assistant Ray didn’t successfully dodge. But, I’m starting to sense his ceiling is being a better Muschamp and we will be looking at a change by 2024.

And, I agree. He does not deserve to be “dumped”.

I’m pretty sure I said moved/transitioned into a ceremonial role where he can help the school until he hits retirement.

We all know he’s little more than a lame (no pun intended) duck and we need a fresh start. Find a President, then start trying to bring new life and perspective into the Athletics Department.

I think that would also help soothe some of the disdain and loss of respect he’s garnered (and earned) over the last few years.

I would think anyone on these boards follows recruiting and June is now a very active month for that.

No I don’t.

If she was contemplating a move and he gave her what she wanted to stay, then congrats. No one said he was completely incompetent. But, let’s not pretend not screwing up is some level and f achievement.

As for Kingston, he has not been a failure. I have more respect for him as HC than the former assistant Ray didn’t successfully dodge. But, I’m starting to sense his ceiling is being a better Muschamp and we will be looking at a change by 2024.

I’m pretty sure I said moved/transitioned into a ceremonial role where he can help the school until he hits retirement.

We all know he’s little more than a lame (no pun intended) duck and we need a fresh start. Find a President, then start trying to bring new life and perspective into the Athletics Department.

I think that would also help soothe some of the disdain and loss of respect he’s garnered (and earned) over the last few years.
He was the reason she stayed. And we can't offer what TOSU could from salaries to facilities. Who you work for makes a big difference.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
How apropos.

#UofSC
RTDS

I believe mostly aesthetic improvements. Supposedly there are few places that are showing wear and tear and needs some refreshing. Nothing too major from what I've understood.
I think it's the outfield wall.

Reactions: rogue cock
No I don’t.

If she was contemplating a move and he gave her what she wanted to stay, then congrats. No one said he was completely incompetent. But, let’s not pretend not screwing up is some level of achievement.

On the money, again.

So the good news for Carolina sports is that there's no Carolina sports right now. Sounds about right.

Reactions: SOSUSC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT