ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal changes coming

Sep 23, 2019
beyond the grave...
Changes to portal rules are coming that will impact the 2023 season...this looks like NCAA is trying a little to stem use of portal

ARTICLE HERE

• first time transfer you get immediate eligibility
  • to get immediate eligibility after you have already transferred once, there will be a reason required such as physical injury or mental health condition or sexual assault/abuse, etc
  • subsequent transfers (after first) due to academic or playing time reasons will result in delayed eligibility (sit out a year)
  • graduate transfers still get immediate eligibility

Last edited:
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Is this a change? I thought that's how it was now. First transfer free, second transfer not, and the graduate transfer is still free.

Either way, I have no faith in the ncaa when it comes to them asking for a reason for the second transfer. "I heard the n word" was accepted as a reason for the uga guy, so I think people can make up anything.

Is this a change? I thought that's how it was now. First transfer free, second transfer not, and the graduate transfer is still free.

Either way, I have no faith in the ncaa when it comes to them asking for a reason for the second transfer. "I heard the n word" was accepted as a reason for the uga guy, so I think people can make up anything.
Yes it is a change that affects transfers after the first.

For example, JT Daniels started college career with Souther Cal (was out almost a year after tearing ACL at start of sophomore year), then went to Georgia, then to West Va, now headed to Rice for 2023 and did not have to sit out season due to transferring.

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA sticks to it...

Reactions: Lurker123
Not trying to argue, I just thought the second transfer wasn't free, because Rattler was said to be between us and the NFL, because he had not graduated. Meaning he'd have to sit a year to transfer.

But I heard this second/third/fourth hand, so fwiw.

I don’t this is different.

JT Daniels kept getting immediate eligibility due to;

Health and coaching changes.

NCAA is non-existent except for extra hamburgers.

I do like the idea of the portal being for underclassmen only except when it comes to grad students. I thought I read that somewhere. I hope that holds true.

How many transfers will be disallowed if someone claims psych reasons. This will be the get out of jail free card. Nothing is changing actually

Transfer and you sit out 6 games. End of discussion! Simple and enough of a deterrant to keep some of the NIL BS in check.

Transfer and you sit out 6 games. End of discussion! Simple and enough of a deterrant to keep some of the NIL BS in check.
I’m fine if that’s how you really feel but do you believe Spencer Rattler, Juice, or Stogner should have had to sit for half a season for coming here? We have benefitted as much as anyone from the portal.

Changes to portal rules are coming that will impact the 2023 season...this looks like NCAA is trying a little to stem use of portal

ARTICLE HERE

• first time transfer you get immediate eligibility
  • to get immediate eligibility after you have already transferred once, there will be a reason required such as physical injury or mental health condition or sexual assault/abuse, etc
  • subsequent transfers (after first) due to academic or playing time reasons will result in delayed eligibility (sit out a year)
  • graduate transfers still get immediate eligibility
That second provision will be rife with abuse. The hardship provision allowing a transfer to play immediately was abused before the portal was adopted.

Ha correct!...I remember schools getting in trouble due to a recruit getting more than one dessert on a recruiting trip...

Didn't Jerri Spurrier cause some kind of stir over cookies? Either they had USC on them or maybe she gave out too many, obviously something totally inane.

BUT, serious as a heart attack, do Grades/GPA/etc., have anything to do with eligibility any more???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT